22Likes

post #541 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
So I fired up Netflix today and the count of titles in the 3D section was down to 25. Now I know that isn't a 100% accurate sample and that there are a few more titles sprinkled in here and there but enough is enough. I am past hoping Netflix will ever have even mediocre 3D support and have decided to pull the plug. The low interest I have in their non-3D offerings made cancelling the service that much easier.
They had between 40 to 50 3D titles when I first able to see them but, they keep reducing them.

I watch the 3D titles on HBO and Starz On Demand. They change each month and are free if you subscribe to HBO and Starz. This month they have:

On HBO 3D:
1.78 Gatsby
1.78 Gravity
1.78 The Hobbit: The-Desolation-of-Smaug
1.78 The Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey
1.78 Man of Steel
1.78 Pacific Rim
2.35 Walking with the Dinosaurs

On Starz 3D:
1.78 Battle of the Year
2.35 Frozen
1.78 Monsters University
1.78 One Direction
2.35 Thor: Dark World

I should note that some of the films in 1.78 that should be 2.35, have the sides cropped in some scenes but in others more picture information is shown at the top and bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post
I watch the 3D titles on HBO and Starz On Demand. They change each month and are free if you subscribe to HBO and Starz. This month they have:
DirecTV doesn't have those, I'm pretty sure. What provider do you have? And now they dropped their last non-PPV 3D channel, its time for them to step up and offer them.

Ridiculous that I PAY for those premium channels and can't get the on-demand content on every device they are offered on or even all the content they offer the same as any other provider.

Matt
post #543 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have UVerse and I get those same channels. Does DirecTV have any free on demand stuff now? When I had them 2-3 years ago I couldn't even watch ABC, CBS, etc. shows on demand without some $100 extra add on (which my brother eventually got for free from them). Every cable service I have had in the past has always had free on demand shows in addition to PPV movies.
post #544 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Anyone who consistently posts praise for Amazon obviously doesn't care about 3D. Netflix runs rings around Amazon for cost savings, title content, quantity and most importantly to 3D enthusiasts, they have more and better content than any other distribution provider over the Internet second only to You Tube. Amazon hasn't even made the minor leagues yet.

While it could always be better, I challenge anyone here to show me that Amazon has higher quality content in 3D. At best Amazon can equal Netflix in 2D, but this is not the place in the forum to discuss 2D content.

I don't even think Amazon would rate in the top 10 broadcast providers. For 3D content and quality.

No problem if you prefer Amazon streaming to any other service, that is your choice. But then just admit, you don't care about 3D either.

Currently located somewhere south of Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Sorry Don but the 3D content on Netflix is a joke; a bunch of innocuous Asian flicks, some foreign TV shows and a handful of pointless Red Bull documentaries. About the only worthwhile content were the Imax features (of course, there hasn't been a new one of those in ages). Whatever mainstream 3D content they had quickly evaporated away and the last couple of notable titles (The Croods, Turbo) were each pulled after a few days. They can't even muster up the commitment to maintain an accurate list of their dwindling titles.

Add to that the wildly inconsistent quality of the service; I continued to get major server dropoffs in resolution during prime time even after their deal with Comcast in 2D and it was all but impossible for me to watch a 3D feature between 8:00pm and 11:00pm most nights.

In terms of value, Amazon offers streaming of over 40,000 movies and TV shows (and there IS a lot of overlap with Netflix), as well as streaming of thousands of songs, the ability to borrow books thru Kindle and free two day delivery on all Amazon purchases, all for $100 a year or about $8.33 a month - a much better value in my opinion.

I love good 3D, not this muck Netflix offers. If they ever get their act together, I'll gladly sign back on; but in its current state the service just doesn't have much of anything for me.
tgm1024 likes this.

Last edited by TonyDP; 09-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.
post #545 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Tony don't worry about my stocks in Netflix. I'm doing quite nicely. Just sold my shares for the 3rd time this year and am quite capable of managing it for profit whether it goes up or down. But to be honest, I'm hoping the stock drops off now so I can buy back in. I do not combine my interest in the content with my interest in making money off the trades in Netflix. I trade Netflix, I am not a long term investor.

As for the Netflix 3D streaming topic, I don't mind if people have personal interest in seeing the latest top billed movies on many different resources. For those titles I prefer to have the 3D BD, followed by Vudu if it is not available in disk, and now since I have an all region player, I'll choose that. When it comes to Netflix, I'd much rather they offer stuff that no one else offers, even if it is an Asian production. I enjoy seeing anything new and different once. I respect many people consider Netflix a loser if they do these different 3D titles not seen anywhere else.

Of course there are those who don't have good enough bandwidth speed for Netflix 3D and are better served with the lessor demanding 2D streaming service. But, that does not mean others aren't getting excellent streaming from their ISP. My Netflix 3D streaming has been flawless with no buffering since April.

As for the HBO and STARZ 3D offerings I tried to get them here but no service I tried offered the 3D. I'm not sure the offering would be worth it since the titles I saw published, I have already as blu Ray 3D. At one time I actually considered getting Directv again for the 3D channels but with ESPN 3D gone and now 3NET cancelled, I don't even consider them.

I apologize if I made anyone here feel upset because I posted my opinions. I do tend to do that especially when I am enthusiastic about 3D. This it a thread for Netflix streaming and 3D in the 3D section. If you wish to post great things about Amazon and their 3D offerings I started a thread for that but you don't seem to care. So it appeared to me the repeated statements about Amazon 2D here was nothing more than anti Netflix - pro Amazon.

Not located in Jacksonville this week, I'm on the Allure of the Seas which BTW, has 3D movies showing in the main theater every day. But I've seen them all. Gravity was showing yesterday. Currently in Jamaica.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	256442  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis

Last edited by Don Landis; 09-10-2014 at 02:36 PM.
post #546 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
I apologize if I made anyone here feel upset because I posted my opinions. I do tend to do that especially when I am enthusiastic about 3D. This it a thread for Netflix streaming and 3D in the 3D section. If you wish to post great things about Amazon and their 3D offerings I started a thread for that but you don't seem to care. So it appeared to me the repeated statements about Amazon 2D here was nothing more than anti Netflix - pro Amazon.
I belong to both and was very heartened to see 3D on Netflix. I wouldn't dump Netflix in exchange for Amazon, nor would I suggest anyone do so if they were interested in Netflix's offerings (3D, series, or otherwise). As for this being off topic to a 3D netflix thread, it's not the first time we've gone off topic so please don't get into emotional attack mode over this again. It's hardly the case that I "don't care about 3D", Christ of all the things for me to be accused of, that one is just weird. So let me spell it out even more clearly: If you have both services and are watching 2D, use the Amazon feed. For me it looks just like blu-ray, and Netflix often looks like I'm looking through a greasy window.

Weather or not this is because the private connection FIOS has to Netflix is overwhelmed when I am viewing it or not, I can't tell.

But there was no dissing 3D there. No against 3D there. No "not caring about 3D" there either.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #547 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

TGM

But you see my whole point was that we don't need to be told by you( please no offense) that because you get better quality on Amazon that the rest of us have to watch Amazon and dump Netflix. As a matter of fact, my Amazon and Netflix look identical on the HD feeds. The 3D Netflix looks far superior than the two titles on 3D Amazon. I know that is not your case but please don't tell me or others not to watch what we may find adequate.

Second, the whole off topic seems pretty ridiculous to me. In a thread that is purposed for advising what Netflix has that is live, i have to read posts that Netflix sucks, Amazon is better because it offers kindle and free shipping. WTF? What does kindle have to do with 3D Netflix? I might as well post the latest discounts on Ford cars here. Ok so Amazon has some good prime pricing for members. Back on topic of Amazon, I have never found any free Amazon prime movie I haven't already seen so any time I used Amazon streaming it was a la carte. Even those 2 absolutely terrible 3D Amazon offerings cost me, I recall, $4 each to rent. Frankly, if you don't get your money back on Amazon free shipping, then you sure aren't going to get it with the movies, unless that is all you can get where you're at.

Some would actually call it trolling which seems to be quite popular here at AVS anymore. Amazon has a thread in this AVS section. Why don't Amazon fans post their love fest in that thread.

And of course, I do have both but the prime streaming just doesn't work for me. The titles are old and I've seen them. I like some I can't get on Netflix but then I have to pay per movie. If it is on both, obviously for me Netflix is a better deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #548 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
TGM

But you see my whole point was that we don't need to be told by you( please no offense) that because you get better quality on Amazon that the rest of us have to watch Amazon and dump Netflix.
Lord how I hate this turn of phrasing. I never dictated anything to anyone. Because I get better quality on Amazon "that the rest of you have to watch amazon and dump netflix"?????? Are you @#$%ing kidding me?

Don, you've been someone fairly level headed in the past, but these posts of yours are really making me wonder.

Let's agree to disagree at this point. If you're going to take the position that I'M taking a position that I'm not, then there's no point in talking about this at all.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #549 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post
Add to that the wildly inconsistent quality of the service; I continued to get major server dropoffs in resolution during prime time even after their deal with Comcast in 2D and it was all but impossible for me to watch a 3D feature between 8:00pm and 11:00pm most nights.
Curious. For Netflix, I was getting a kind of 2D decrease in resolution (or increase in compression, or drop in bandwidth, or whatever it is they did) even very late at night. My connection is 15/5 via FIOS. For 3D I had a terrible connection I couldn't even watch with multiple stuttering, (I complained about this previously) but I haven't exercised the 3D to know if this is common. My wife and kids have....I'll ask them.

post #550 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
. I'm almost certain Amazon will get on the 3D band wagon eventually. It's all about demand.
I was under the impression that Amazon already was on the bandwagon and is now streaming 3D. Damned if I can find any listings, though. Like Netflix, it seems they prefer to keep it secret.
old corps likes this.

post #551 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
I was under the impression that Amazon already was on the bandwagon and is now streaming 3D. Damned if I can find any listings, though. Like Netflix, it seems they prefer to keep it secret.
Yeah, what's with all this secret stuff on Amazon & Netflix regarding 3D?? It seems like it's a corporate conspiracy or something to get customers to forget all about the 3D versions of their favorite movies, and just be ever so grateful that we can now stream content on demand. So, keep a few titles circulating among even fewer members but buried in the selection list, never promoting 3D and sparsely available just in case someone might ask about the elephant in the room.
post #552 of 561 Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

The Netflix 3D has been well publicized as available on supported hardware since it's announcement at CES 2013. There is no secret. They have gone through some growing pains for delivery bandwidth for the first year but now have worked out these problems, at least with Comcast, and I believe COX and Time Warner. Amazon 3D is only sent using SBS half frame. It is very hard to find, but I did a 3D stereography search and came up with about a dozen titles. Unfortunately, all those except 2 were stated as 3D but were not. The two that were 3D opened with a usual warning screen stating a 3D TV must be used to play this video. And the TV must be in SIDE BY SIDE mode.

There are still some problems they are trying to resolve with Verizon and AT&T. There are several articles on the link that discuss the status of the different ISP and how they

http://arstechnica.com/business/201....bps-is-enough/

I hope the link works. Im stuck on an iPad for the week and some things are rather awkward. Anyway, it explains the current attitude toward customers using the lever of bandwidth that 3D viewers require.

Netflix requires 9 MBS sustained for 3D. Most consumer cable accounts from Comcast will vary and only yield the rated bandwidth on peaks, with average much less in a sustained streaming demand.

The reason why some of you may be having trouble with buffering and poor resolution might be caused by your ISP. Believe anything you wish, but you may want to do sone testing to see what your bandwidth is on Netflix as well as Amazon. Some monitors and some BD players offer a bandwidth data screen overlay you can use to verify what you get with various services and various movie formats.
cajieboy likes this.

Don Landis

Last edited by Don Landis; 09-10-2014 at 11:15 PM.
post #553 of 561 Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post
I have UVerse and I get those same channels. Does DirecTV have any free on demand stuff now? When I had them 2-3 years ago I couldn't even watch ABC, CBS, etc. shows on demand without some $100 extra add on (which my brother eventually got for free from them). Every cable service I have had in the past has always had free on demand shows in addition to PPV movies.
Not sure what the extra fee was/is, but they have plenty of on demand content, just not 3D.

Matt
post #554 of 561 Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
The Netflix 3D has been well publicized as available on supported hardware since it's announcement at CES 2013. There is no secret. They have gone through some growing pains for delivery bandwidth for the first year but now have worked out these problems, at least with Comcast, and I believe COX and Time Warner. Amazon 3D is only sent using SBS half frame. It is very hard to find, but I did a 3D stereography search and came up with about a dozen titles. Unfortunately, all those except 2 were stated as 3D but were not. The two that were 3D opened with a usual warning screen stating a 3D TV must be used to play this video. And the TV must be in SIDE BY SIDE mode.

There are still some problems they are trying to resolve with Verizon and AT&T. There are several articles on the link that discuss the status of the different ISP and how they

http://arstechnica.com/business/201....bps-is-enough/

I hope the link works. Im stuck on an iPad for the week and some things are rather awkward. Anyway, it explains the current attitude toward customers using the lever of bandwidth that 3D viewers require.

Netflix requires 9 MBS sustained for 3D. Most consumer cable accounts from Comcast will vary and only yield the rated bandwidth on peaks, with average much less in a sustained streaming demand.

The reason why some of you may be having trouble with buffering and poor resolution might be caused by your ISP. Believe anything you wish, but you may want to do sone testing to see what your bandwidth is on Netflix as well as Amazon. Some monitors and some BD players offer a bandwidth data screen overlay you can use to verify what you get with various services and various movie formats.
Hope your trip is going well. I'm out of town myself, and missing that Florida sunshine already! Thanks for keeping me up to date on the progress on 3D Netflix. I was half-joking & exaggerating a bit about Netflix & Amazon keeping it a secret, etc. but it does seem like 3D is rarely if ever promoted on their streaming sites. I'm not sure how many folks out their in TV Land actually realize 3D is even available on Netflix. Hopefully, as Netflix is developing & improving their services that we'll see an expansion of 3D titles. I've had Netflix DVD/BD membership service for many years, and signing-up for their streaming service was the first thing I did when I got my Roku. I doubt that this will change any time soon, but can only root for Netflix to improve services.
post #555 of 561 Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Cajieboy-

Plenty of sun and rain clouds in the Caribbean this time of year but I figured the hurricanes have shifted to the west coast for a season due to el ninia. I sure wouldn't want to be doing the west coast right now. One hurricane after another. We were there in March. So the trip is working out fine so far. I had planned to shoot some 3D video in Haiti where I went snorkeling but the visibility was very poor for photography. I'll be in Tulum tomorrow and look forward to shooting the Mayan ruins with the Z10k and wide angle lens. Hope it doesn't rain!

I think the problem we see with Netflix is they have lots of irons in the fire right now and of course expanding the user base worldwide is top priority, with original content second. I know this because I do follow their news every day. 3D unfortunately for us is a low priority as it doesn't offer a quick new growth shot like the other goals. I'm just happy they are doing something with the art form as well as the new 4K too.

Hope your travels bring good weather. One thing I like about cruising on a big ship, they do a good job avoiding hazardous weather and keeping you entertained. I always try to find the good stuff in any of this.
Barry C likes this.

Don Landis
post #556 of 561 Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Netflix 3D has been well publicized as available on supported hardware since it's announcement at CES 2013. There is no secret.
And those specific devices are...a secret! What BD players with dual HDMI-out, issued in the last couple years, have access to NF 3D? Is there a complete list anywhere? No, there isn't...at least not one that anyone has been able to find...even almost 2 years later.

post #557 of 561 Old 09-11-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The Netflix 3D has been well publicized as available on supported hardware since it's announcement at CES 2013. There is no secret.
And those specific devices are...a secret! What BD players with dual HDMI-out, issued in the last couple years, have access to NF 3D? Is there a complete list anywhere? No, there isn't...at least not one that anyone has been able to find...even almost 2 years later. Even NF can't offer one.
old corps likes this.

post #558 of 561 Old 09-12-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
FWIW, I was having trouble with 3D and just Netflix in general until I went to wired over wireless. I ran Ethernet cables to all my web devices and am getting much better performance.

I figure Netflix is stretching the limits of streaming with their "super HD" and 3D so as I am with only 10Mbps speeds of DSL. So I did what I could to remove some obstacles. It sucked running cables in the attic and down the walls, but very glad I did it.

Lastly, sometimes I have to disconnect any other web connected devices in the house while streaming Netflix Super HD to keep it from having issues. There is only so much bandwidth to go around.
post #559 of 561 Old 09-14-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Cajieboy-

Plenty of sun and rain clouds in the Caribbean this time of year but I figured the hurricanes have shifted to the west coast for a season due to el ninia. I sure wouldn't want to be doing the west coast right now. One hurricane after another. We were there in March. So the trip is working out fine so far. I had planned to shoot some 3D video in Haiti where I went snorkeling but the visibility was very poor for photography. I'll be in Tulum tomorrow and look forward to shooting the Mayan ruins with the Z10k and wide angle lens. Hope it doesn't rain!

I think the problem we see with Netflix is they have lots of irons in the fire right now and of course expanding the user base worldwide is top priority, with original content second. I know this because I do follow their news every day. 3D unfortunately for us is a low priority as it doesn't offer a quick new growth shot like the other goals. I'm just happy they are doing something with the art form as well as the new 4K too.

Hope your travels bring good weather. One thing I like about cruising on a big ship, they do a good job avoiding hazardous weather and keeping you entertained. I always try to find the good stuff in any of this.
Sounds like fun Don. Looking forward to seeing what 3D you put together with the Mayan ruins sometime in the future.
post #560 of 561 Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry C View Post
Sounds like fun Don. Looking forward to seeing what 3D you put together with the Mayan ruins sometime in the future.
Tell you all about it in a PM.

Don Landis
post #561 of 561 Old Today, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp06011999 View Post
FWIW, I was having trouble with 3D and just Netflix in general until I went to wired over wireless. I ran Ethernet cables to all my web devices and am getting much better performance.

I figure Netflix is stretching the limits of streaming with their "super HD" and 3D so as I am with only 10Mbps speeds of DSL. So I did what I could to remove some obstacles. It sucked running cables in the attic and down the walls, but very glad I did it.

Lastly, sometimes I have to disconnect any other web connected devices in the house while streaming Netflix Super HD to keep it from having issues. There is only so much bandwidth to go around.
I'm not a Netflix subscriber but used a month trial earlier this year and noticed the same thing about the wired vs wireless

------

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page