Forum Jump: 
 33Likes
post #601 of 628 Old 11-12-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 58
don, it would be interesting to read what you think about the new Amazon Fire TV Stick. There's quite an ad push on Amazon's site under the product name. Claims are that it is 4X the storage of chromecast, dual core processor, and a slew of other goodies. Date of actual release is November 19, 2014, which is why I won't be getting my stick until January 9th, 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 628 Old 11-12-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
You may want to expand your horizons beyond Roku brands. While it has been the classic Goto device for IPTV, for people like us, looking for 3D compatibility/support, there are better choices. Last I saw Roku didn't even support You Tube in 3D.
I didn't know there was a YouTube 3D offering at all.

BTW, thanks for the heads-up on the red bull cubed pipe. I checked out the 2D trailer for it just now on YT and holy crap. Hitting that thing "wrong" could be a life changer, and missing it at all could be a life ender. A 40-50 foot drop on your head? That's not exactly fluffy snow he's dealing with.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #603 of 628 Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
You may want to expand your horizons beyond Roku brands. While it has been the classic Goto device for IPTV, for people like us, looking for 3D compatibility/support, there are better choices. Last I saw Roku didn't even support You Tube in 3D.

I boiled it down to two choices, Apple Tv and WDTV. The WDTV won in the end due to price but believe it of not Apple TV supported YouTube 3D content. WDTV supported Netflix 3D, YouTube 3D, and Vudu 3D all in 1080P and 7.1 audio if offered. Last I saw the WDTV was about half the price of Apple TV. I'm not familiar with Amazon Fire Stick. I'll have to look that one up.

When I looked last night, I still did not see the 3D collection in Netflix on my WDTV but the individual programs could be found in search and played now in 3D. The Sony Blu Ray Player had the 3D collection but still missing many of the original animation 3D programs. The only ones I saw left was the Charlie Chaplain and Oasis. RedBull Cubed Pipe is a new addition in 3D added sometime last summer.
Thanks, Don. I was looking for an excuse to get apple tv, and this might do it. I might finally get to see all of your 3D youtube videos.

Are you having better luck watching NF 3D in prime time hours?
post #604 of 628 Old 11-12-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Are you having better luck watching NF 3D in prime time hours?
My Internet situation is different than most as I have a Business account with mission critical status with Comcast. My connect speed is regulated at 20Mbs down but never dips below 19. Consumer accounts are sold at 50 and even 75 Mbs but are not provisioned and during heavy traffic can drop to as low as 1Mbs, especially during sustained delivery like with a streaming movie and that causes buffering. The big number is a burst speed, not sustained. For downloading simple web pages the consumer burst speed account is much faster than mine but for streaming content, Mine is just enough for 3D Neflix downloads and no buffering 24/7 plus other regular movie downloads and a 3rd computer surfing the web.

I can confirm Apple TV box does YT 3D. My daughter's MIL has Apple TV box and a 3D TV. I don't think it does Netflix 3D but won't guarantee that. WDTV does it all, costs less but doesn't have the little Apple logo.
post #605 of 628 Old 11-12-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just took a look at the Fire Stick specs and it looks real good. For that price, I may pick one up for my LG 3D monitor here in the edit room. It does not have wifi or Internet apps. I could not tell by the specs whether it does YouTube 3D or Netlix 3D. Also, Vudu wasn't listed that I saw.

Based on their delivery, I'll probably be waiting until I return from CES to order.
post #606 of 628 Old 11-12-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 964
Quote:
Just took a look at the Fire Stick specs and it looks real good. For that price, I may pick one up for my LG 3D monitor here in the edit room. It does not have wifi or Internet apps.
What, may I ask (LOL), is the point of a streaming stick without WiFi?
old corps likes this.

Send this to all your friends! When will this stupidity end? So hysterical: Vertical Video Syndrome --- a PSA.
post #607 of 628 Old 11-12-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

My bad sentence structure I guess. - My LG TV Monitor doesn't have wifi or internet apps. So the streaming stick would be a good addition for the LG TV.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #608 of 628 Old 11-12-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

The Fire Stick has dual core processor AND dual band wi-fi.
post #609 of 628 Old 11-12-2014, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
What, may I ask (LOL), is the point of a streaming stick without WiFi?
Ha I thought the same thing when I read his post and was about to panic as I have to have wifi where I plan on putting my Fire stick. Glad Don cleared that up.
post #610 of 628 Old 11-15-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where can I find a master list of devices that support Netflix 3D? None of my current Samsung, Pioneer, or Roku players have it.

Thanks,
Shawn
post #611 of 628 Old 11-15-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsluft View Post
Where can I find a master list of devices that support Netflix 3D? None of my current Samsung, Pioneer, or Roku players have it.

Thanks,
Shawn
There isn't one. People have been seeking that for a long time.

post #612 of 628 Old 11-15-2014, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll start a new thread and ask what people are using for Netflix 3D.

Shawn
post #613 of 628 Old 11-16-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

The latest Netflix app update for my WDTV IP box no longer supports 3D Netflix.

I now only have 3D Netflix on:

1. My PS3 limited to 720P resolution

2. My new all region Sony BDP-S6200 Blu ray Player has Netflix 3D and plays them at 1080P

I recommend the Sony BDP-S6200 with all regions modification as the best all round 3D resource for your home theater. Apps for 3D Vudu and You Tube also work well on this player. Plus over a hundred other apps to add as you desire. Has 4K upscaling too if you're into 4K TV already.

A couple companies sell them modified ready to go.
http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...vAsaAnz18P8HAQ
Price is $209.

http://www.worldwidevoltage.com/sony...y-players.html Price $245

You may be able to save a couple bucks buying the player for less and doing the board modification yourself. While I felt comfortable doing that, I just bought the ready to go player from 220 Electronics with free shipping promo.

If you want frustration free 3D resource player, this one is it!

Feel free to copy and paste any of this to your list you hope to compile. I look forward to seeing it as a nice resource for those who are frustrated with lack of information on this.

Last edited by Don Landis; 11-16-2014 at 09:34 AM.
post #614 of 628 Old 11-16-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
The latest Netflix app update for my WDTV IP box no longer supports 3D Netflix.

I now only have 3D Netflix on:

1. My PS3 limited to 720P resolution

2. My new all region Sony BDP-S6200 Blu ray Player has Netflix 3D and plays them at 1080P

I recommend the Sony BDP-S6200 with all regions modification as the best all round 3D resource for your home theater. Apps for 3D Vudu and You Tube also work well on this player. Plus over a hundred other apps to add as you desire. Has 4K upscaling too if you're into 4K TV already.

A couple companies sell them modified ready to go.
http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...vAsaAnz18P8HAQ
Price is $209.

http://www.worldwidevoltage.com/sony...y-players.html Price $245

You may be able to save a couple bucks buying the player for less and doing the board modification yourself. While I felt comfortable doing that, I just bought the ready to go player from 220 Electronics with free shipping promo.

If you want frustration free 3D resource player, this one is it!

Feel free to copy and paste any of this to your list you hope to compile. I look forward to seeing it as a nice resource for those who are frustrated with lack of information on this.
Does the Sony BDP need to have the region free mod to receive Netflix 3D? Or would I be opening myself up to a whole new range of movies I wouldn't otherwise be able to see?

Thanks,
Shawn
post #615 of 628 Old 11-17-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does the Sony BDP need to have the region free mod to receive Netflix 3D? Or would I be opening myself up to a whole new range of movies I wouldn't otherwise be able to see?

Thanks,
Shawn
It's my understanding that the "region free" mod is for playing DVD/BR's only, and has nothing to do with streaming Netflix, or any other streaming for that matter.
Don Landis and old corps like this.
post #616 of 628 Old 12-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I got the Sony BDP S5200 on Cyber Monday in the hopes that it would work for streaming Netflix 3D, assuming that if the S6200 works as reported here, the S5200 should work as well. It did indeed work--watched Art of Flight.

I just found a 3D section scrolling down the main page but does it show all the 3D movies available? Is there an easy way to search for 3D movies in Netflix? Just doing a search on "3D" yields a list that's shorter the 3D section on the main page.
post #617 of 628 Old 12-11-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks,
Shawn
The region free feature is just for playing any disk based movie. The way it works is you need to power up the player with the remote control in the region you wish to use. That is done with the colored buttons on the remote. Once in that region, you can only play disks for that region. Power down and back up to play a different region.

For blu ray disks there are only three regions A, B, and C. A is mostly America, B is Europe, and C is Asia. Look up a map to see all the specifics.

For example, if intending to buy a disk from Amazon.UK, be sure to note if the Disk is "Region Free" those will play anywhere. If it says Region B you will need a player that has the region boot feature or modification to play it here.
post #618 of 628 Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Geek View Post
I got the Sony BDP S5200 on Cyber Monday in the hopes that it would work for streaming Netflix 3D, assuming that if the S6200 works as reported here, the S5200 should work as well. It did indeed work--watched Art of Flight.

I just found a 3D section scrolling down the main page but does it show all the 3D movies available? Is there an easy way to search for 3D movies in Netflix? Just doing a search on "3D" yields a list that's shorter the 3D section on the main page.
Glad you figured out the 5200 works too. Others will appreciate your info.

The best way I know is to review the posts in this thread. What's available seems to change from time to time. There have been many that have been pulled down.

Red Bull: Minor Threat and Red Bull: Cubed Pipe are two you may enjoy. Both were offered in 3D option last I looked and were not in the 3D collection list. Is Beowulf 3D back up? It was down the last I checked.

A search on 3D won't be accurate either as it pulls from key words in a movie's description. Like 3D CGI is not 3D stereoscopic.

Another you might like is not a story but titled Netflix Demo I recall from the top of my head. This is both a 23.976 demo and 3D. Some interesting content.
post #619 of 628 Old 12-11-2014, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I keep trying to watch Sky Soldier but it plays for a little while then the audio and video get out of sync. Sony S5100
post #620 of 628 Old 12-11-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Glad you figured out the 5200 works too. Others will appreciate your info.
Thanks. It was your recommendation for the S6200 that steered me towards Sony, and then I saw the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal so I bit.

Quote:
The best way I know is to review the posts in this thread. What's available seems to change from time to time. There have been many that have been pulled down.

Red Bull: Minor Threat and Red Bull: Cubed Pipe are two you may enjoy. Both were offered in 3D option last I looked and were not in the 3D collection list. Is Beowulf 3D back up? It was down the last I checked.

A search on 3D won't be accurate either as it pulls from key words in a movie's description. Like 3D CGI is not 3D stereoscopic.

Another you might like is not a story but titled Netflix Demo I recall from the top of my head. This is both a 23.976 demo and 3D. Some interesting content.
Thanks. I'll look for them. I did see Beowulf in the 3D section.
post #621 of 628 Old 12-11-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post
I keep trying to watch Sky Soldier but it plays for a little while then the audio and video get out of sync. Sony S5100
If you can get a Sony 5100 to play any of the Netflix 3D titles you're ahead of the game. I had 2 of them and neither would play more than 1 or 2 titles (and I wasn't alone with the problem). Replaced them with a 6200 which works but Netflix 3D is a joke anyway. They had 40 or more 3D titles available at one time and now they are down to what, 10, 12 or less. Haven't added anything of value in months. Just remove titles is all they seem to do.
old corps likes this.
post #622 of 628 Old 12-11-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post
If you can get a Sony 5100 to play any of the Netflix 3D titles you're ahead of the game. I had 2 of them and neither would play more than 1 or 2 titles (and I wasn't alone with the problem). Replaced them with a 6200 which works but Netflix 3D is a joke anyway. They had 40 or more 3D titles available at one time and now they are down to what, 10, 12 or less. Haven't added anything of value in months. Just remove titles is all they seem to do.

Yep, I was one of those that gave up on the 5100. Constant lock ups that required crawling behind my set up to pull the cord. It did help me decide the meager NF 3D content wasn't worth the bother. Back it went.

Ed
post #623 of 628 Old 12-12-2014, 03:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

The 6200 has a dual core processor and can handle 3D at higher bit rates than other lessor players. I recently rendered a production at higher than usual bit rate and it choked in my Oppo 93 and an old cheap Panasonic Player. The 6200 played it like greased Lightning.

The few $ saved in a bargain sale, will be long forgotten a few months down the road when problems arise. The only thing I don't like about the 6200 is it looks cheaply constructed and has a pyramid shaped top so you can't stack other devices on top.
post #624 of 628 Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 AM

I haven't had any problems with the S5200 yet. Are there specific titles that are problematic on the S5100 or is it in general? Just wondering if I'll free and clear of problems w.r.t. streaming Netflix 3D.

I streamed the award winning "Flying Swords of Dragon Gate" last night (though unfortunately, just dubbed English 2.0 audio). Pretty stunning visuals.

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D

Last edited by Audio Geek; 12-12-2014 at 01:30 PM.
post #625 of 628 Old 12-12-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The Nitro Circus was one that was done pretty well, but it's no longer available. I hate that netflix hasn't done anything to their 3d section for months
post #626 of 628 Unread Today, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post
The Nitro Circus was one that was done pretty well, but it's no longer available. I hate that netflix hasn't done anything to their 3d section for months
What's a good region free 3D BD player go $ for? I'm looking into getting one but want to know which ones (make/model) you guys are using

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #627 of 628 Unread Today, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Sony BDP-6200 but it has to be modified for region free as Sony does not make them that way.

I bought mine from here:

http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...vd-player.html

Was delivered in 2 days!

Understand, if you never buy a region B or C disk, you will be wasting your money. Most 3D Blurays today are all regions anyway. But, having one will give you the option to buy a region B or C disk without concern.

Since owning this, I have only purchased 2 Region B 3D disks. But, more impressive than the region free modification was the number of apps for unique streaming video. I have more programming sources now than I could ever have the time to watch, most all free. Sony certainly didn't hold back with this box.

I also have an OPPO BD93 and there are a few 3D titles that give me some stuttering on the OPPO. The 6200 Sony plays them all flawlessly, probably due to the superior processor they used.
gamermwm likes this.
post #628 of 628 Unread Today, 02:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Flying Swords of Dragon Gate 3D

I liked that one too. watched it recently again.

I think the last new addition to Netflix 3D was late last summer with Cubed Pipe.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Netflix

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page