Netflix 3D Streaming is live - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #631 of 703 Old 01-06-2015, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post
If you can get a Sony 5100 to play any of the Netflix 3D titles you're ahead of the game. I had 2 of them and neither would play more than 1 or 2 titles (and I wasn't alone with the problem). Replaced them with a 6200 which works but Netflix 3D is a joke anyway. They had 40 or more 3D titles available at one time and now they are down to what, 10, 12 or less. Haven't added anything of value in months. Just remove titles is all they seem to do.
yup, for Sky Soldier, Netflix says "Available until Jan 7" so if you haven't seen it, watch it today. If you have seen it, watch it again. It has the only known 3D photos taken during the Vietnam war, and he was a good photographer. A moving story too. Makes you wonder if enough of today's history (personal or otherwise) is being recorded in 3D for future generations.
imgrund likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 703 Old 01-06-2015, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 41
According to a friend who works at Netflix, they're focused on 4K now. It's not worth it for them to pay the premium for the 3D content. It's all based on demand (and they track the views and make their decisions accordingly), and apparently, we 3D enthusiasts are in the minority. I can't say they didn't give it a shot. It's a shame, but the market isn't there yet.

I hope with the growth of 4K, that will increase the number of 3D capable sets out there (assuming the 4K sets do 3D as well), and spur demand of 3D content.
post #633 of 703 Old 01-06-2015, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Geek View Post
I can't say they didn't give it a shot.
I'd say the fact they NEVER offered Blu-ray 3D (even with the extra fee that we pay for Blu-rays that should have gone away at least 2 years ago), makes this conclusion debatable. I'd be interested to know what your friend says about that, since the only response I ever got was from a customer support drone. It works for Family Video, and frankly, its ridiculous I have to visit a brick and mortar store for that content with the monthly fee I pay specifically for premium Netflix content.
old corps likes this.

Matt
post #634 of 703 Old 01-07-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
So far in AVS and other sites over the years I've heard all manner of comments from folks with purported "insider" information about Netflix that has turned out to be pure nonsense. And even when the insider is really an insider, THEY don't know WTF they're talking about. Don't forget: rumors run wild inside of companies as well as outside of them.

I'm not falling for the misinformation wave a 3rd time: I'll wait and see what shows up to decide what they're supporting.
Don Landis likes this.
post #635 of 703 Old 01-07-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post
I'd say the fact they NEVER offered Blu-ray 3D (even with the extra fee that we pay for Blu-rays that should have gone away at least 2 years ago), makes this conclusion debatable. I'd be interested to know what your friend says about that, since the only response I ever got was from a customer support drone. It works for Family Video, and frankly, its ridiculous I have to visit a brick and mortar store for that content with the monthly fee I pay specifically for premium Netflix content.
This thread is about Netflix 3D streaming, and that's what my comment was pertaining to.

Re: Blu-Rays, Netflix is focused on growing the streaming business (especially internationally) and not so much their physical media business.
post #636 of 703 Old 01-07-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
So far in AVS and other sites over the years I've heard all manner of comments from folks with purported "insider" information about Netflix that has turned out to be pure nonsense. And even when the insider is really an insider, THEY don't know WTF they're talking about. Don't forget: rumors run wild inside of companies as well as outside of them.

I'm not falling for the misinformation wave a 3rd time: I'll wait and see what shows up to decide what they're supporting.
At this time, their technology for delivery of 3D is established (i.e. it works). It's just a matter of licensing the content.

So what misinformation are you talking about?

Last edited by Audio Geek; 01-07-2015 at 02:31 PM.
post #637 of 703 Old 01-07-2015, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This thread is about Netflix 3D streaming, and that's what my comment was pertaining to.

Re: Blu-Rays, Netflix is focused on growing the streaming business (especially internationally) and not so much their physical media business.
But yet they have no problem charging a premium for content that in the marketplace rarely has much of a price difference at least the past couple years.

I understand this thread isn't about physical media, but you are saying they gave it a try. They don't give their 3D streaming customers any physical media to promote purchasing the hardware they need for either physical or virtual media.

That's my point.

Matt
post #638 of 703 Old 01-07-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
But yet they have no problem charging a premium for content that in the marketplace rarely has much of a price difference at least the past couple years.
The cost of licensing has gone way up from when their streaming services first started.
Quote:
I understand this thread isn't about physical media, but you are saying they gave it a try. They don't give their 3D streaming customers any physical media to promote purchasing the hardware they need for either physical or virtual media.

That's my point.
Sorry, I'm not following.

I say they gave it a try based upon them previously having forty-some 3D titles at one time (according to this thread). In the two years since the introduction of the service, 3D unfortunately hasn't gained any meaningful traction (mirroring the general TV market) so it doesn't surprise me that they'd choose not to renew many of the license of 3D titles as they expire. If there were sufficient demand, I would think things would turn out differently. It's a business decision--I'm sure it's a result of a cost/benefit analysis (they probably have a cost/views metric when negotiating licenses).

We 3D enthusiasts are a niche market, sadly. I can only hope for a future and broad resurgence for the 3D TV market to change things.
imgrund likes this.
post #639 of 703 Old 01-07-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Bah. Most of the world absolutely adores 3D movies.

They just don't know it yet.

old corps likes this.
post #640 of 703 Old 01-08-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
The cost of licensing has gone way up from when their streaming services first started.

I say they gave it a try based upon them previously having forty-some 3D titles at one time (according to this thread). In the two years since the introduction of the service, 3D unfortunately hasn't gained any meaningful traction (mirroring the general TV market) so it doesn't surprise me that they'd choose not to renew many of the license of 3D titles as they expire. If there were sufficient demand, I would think things would turn out differently. It's a business decision--I'm sure it's a result of a cost/benefit analysis (they probably have a cost/views metric when negotiating licenses).

We 3D enthusiasts are a niche market, sadly. I can only hope for a future and broad resurgence for the 3D TV market to change things.
Maybe it would help if Netflix actually supported devices better. I have two Sony GTV boxes (NSZ-GT1 blu ray player and the NSZ-GS8 companion box) both of which support 3d playback on hardware and OS. Not in Netflix. In fact Netflix has never updated the GS8 app to support profiles let alone 3d support! It's ridiculous there is no profile support! The GT1 is a much older box and has profile support. This does not go over well with the wife and me. I don't want my wife's crappy movies showing up in my recently watched list.
turls and old corps like this.
post #641 of 703 Old 01-08-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I'm saying is they never gave their physical disc customers a chance to experience renting good quality first run movies in 3D, which might have excited them about the potential of 3D, instead of forgetting their devices even support 3D. That in turn could have led to them being a lot more interested in streaming 3D.

Yes, I have a lot of bitterness for paying a premium for Blu-ray all these years, but they decide what Blu-rays I can't get. They have a handful of Blu-ray 3D (like Dredd because they have to) and they don't bother to provide Blu-rays of many catalog titles.

Matt
post #642 of 703 Old 01-08-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post
Maybe it would help if Netflix actually supported devices better. I have two Sony GTV boxes (NSZ-GT1 blu ray player and the NSZ-GS8 companion box) both of which support 3d playback on hardware and OS. Not in Netflix. In fact Netflix has never updated the GS8 app to support profiles let alone 3d support! It's ridiculous there is no profile support! The GT1 is a much older box and has profile support. This does not go over well with the wife and me. I don't want my wife's crappy movies showing up in my recently watched list.
I mostly agree, but I guess supporting profiles isn't too easy. And I'm not sure that is up to Netflix either. For example, Roku 2's don't have profile support because supposedly it couldn't be done in that hardware (according to Roku who seems to have been charge of the conversion attempt). I tend to believe that considering they did provide YouTube a few months after it was available in Roku 3.

I hate seeing my kids stuff also. Its almost driven me to upgrade to Roku 3, but not quite.

Matt
post #643 of 703 Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post
It's up to Sony to support their products. If it didn't ship with Netflix 3D support, I don't think Sony (or any manufacturer) would go through the trouble of validating it--I have the same experience with my Panny Blu-Ray 3D player that I bought before Netflix 3D came out. It's the unfortunate truth of consumer electronics. Think of it as more like automobile production in which new features are only added in future models rather than PC software that gets updated over time. If an update comes with new features, it's a bonus, but the manufacturer is not obligated in any way to provide anything more than what they originally advertised/shipped with.

Last edited by Audio Geek; 01-08-2015 at 09:59 AM.
post #644 of 703 Old 01-08-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
What I'm saying is they never gave their physical disc customers a chance to experience renting good quality first run movies in 3D, which might have excited them about the potential of 3D, instead of forgetting their devices even support 3D. That in turn could have led to them being a lot more interested in streaming 3D.

Yes, I have a lot of bitterness for paying a premium for Blu-ray all these years, but they decide what Blu-rays I can't get. They have a handful of Blu-ray 3D (like Dredd because they have to) and they don't bother to provide Blu-rays of many catalog titles.
Thanks for restating your points. It's much clearer.

I think they were just testing the waters, responding to customer demand, rather than wanting to necessarily grow the market.

Also, I don't think they're focused on growing the physical media side of things anymore. You can't even find a mention of DVDs or BDs if you go to netflix.com.
post #645 of 703 Old 01-09-2015, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Last time I checked they only had about ten titles in the 3D section. That's OK. I see more recent 3D titles on HBO and Starz On Demand.
post #646 of 703 Old 01-09-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post
Last time I checked they only had about ten titles in the 3D section. That's OK. I see more recent 3D titles on HBO and Starz On Demand.
Yeah, it would be great if all providers supported that, but they don't. Why don't I get the same value from my DirecTV HBO On Demand sub as you do? Ridiculous...and it isn't like DirecTV can't easily support it, so I assume they just won't pay for it.

Matt
post #647 of 703 Old 01-09-2015, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Yeah, it would be great if all providers supported that, but they don't. Why don't I get the same value from my DirecTV HBO On Demand sub as you do? Ridiculous...and it isn't like DirecTV can't easily support it, so I assume they just won't pay for it.
I have COMCAST cable and the following in available On Demand:

On HBO 3D:
2.35 47 Ronin - available until 1/31
2.35 Epic - available until 1/31
1.78 Great Gatsby - available until 2/28
1.78 Gravity - available until 1/31
1.78 Hobbit An Unexpected Journey available until 1/31
1.78 Hobbit Desolation of Smaug available until 2/28
1.78 Legend of Hercules - available until 1//31
1.78 The Lego Movie - available until 1//31
2.35 Rio 2 - available until 3/31

On Starz 3D:
2.35 Amazing Spider-Man 2 - available until 4/3
2.35 Frozen - available until 3/5
1.78 One Direction - available until 7/26
1.78 Pompeii - available until 8/7
old corps likes this.
post #648 of 703 Old 01-14-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
It's up to Sony to support their products. If it didn't ship with Netflix 3D support, I don't think Sony (or any manufacturer) would go through the trouble of validating it--I have the same experience with my Panny Blu-Ray 3D player that I bought before Netflix 3D came out. It's the unfortunate truth of consumer electronics. Think of it as more like automobile production in which new features are only added in future models rather than PC software that gets updated over time. If an update comes with new features, it's a bonus, but the manufacturer is not obligated in any way to provide anything more than what they originally advertised/shipped with.
Sony has nothing to do with the Netflix app. Netflix can update their app anytime they want through the Play store. That being said, Sony has done a bad job at supporting their Google TV products and they are sadly the best at that out of all the GTV products seemingly.
post #649 of 703 Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I can't find the 3D category. Did Netflix cancel it?
post #650 of 703 Old 01-25-2015, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig and Spike View Post
I can't find the 3D category. Did Netflix cancel it?
Noticed the 3D category was gone (Sony 6200) a couple of weeks ago. Did a search and found a couple (may be more) of 3D titles still available -- just no 3D category.
post #651 of 703 Old 01-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 110
It was there a few days ago when I looked. The 4k content category left for a day or two then came back
post #652 of 703 Old 01-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
According to a friend who works at Netflix, they're focused on 4K now. It's not worth it for them to pay the premium for the 3D content. It's all based on demand (and they track the views and make their decisions accordingly), and apparently, we 3D enthusiasts are in the minority. I can't say they didn't give it a shot. It's a shame, but the market isn't there yet.
NF has NEVER promoted having 3D. In fact (as others here have noted), one has had to search hard to even find the 3D options. And the fact that most of us with 3D devices (TV and Sony 790 BD) can't even access their 3D. NF doesn't even provide a list of compatible devices So the market for NF 3D will never be there...since most don't even know a NF 3D (buried) option even exists. Yeah, they gave it a helluva shot.
old corps likes this.
post #653 of 703 Old 01-25-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I thought netflix 3d was primarily for the Nintendo 3ds... I didn't even realize that it was available as regular service... Gotta give it a try as the 3ds is just too small.
post #654 of 703 Old 01-25-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I thought netflix 3d was primarily for the Nintendo 3ds... I didn't even realize that it was available as regular service... Gotta give it a try as the 3ds is just too small.
I use the Sony BDP-S6200! It's a great steaming device.
post #655 of 703 Old 01-25-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry2 View Post
Noticed the 3D category was gone (Sony 6200) a couple of weeks ago. Did a search and found a couple (may be more) of 3D titles still available -- just no 3D category.
Yeah, I have the 6200 too. I can search for 3D only. Maybe this is the way that NF will phase out 3D. It's really unfortunate.
post #656 of 703 Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I use netflix thru my tv, there was a seperate category for it. Just checked now and its gone. There wasnt a lot of worthy stuff to watch on it anyway unless you have kids
post #657 of 703 Old 01-26-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by film113 View Post
In fact (as others here have noted), one has had to search hard to even find the 3D options.
Well let me be the first to counter that one. It shows right up on my initial page.
post #658 of 703 Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig and Spike View Post
I use the Sony BDP-S6200! It's a great steaming device.
Dig, does it support HBO-GO yet, now that they've allowed the cord-cutters access?
post #659 of 703 Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Dig, does it support HBO-GO yet, now that they've allowed the cord-cutters access?
I don't think so. I'll check tonight when I get home from work.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #660 of 703 Old 01-27-2015, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I have given up on Netflix and switched to Sony Entertainment through my Sony 6200. They have a whole genre dedicated to 3D and have most of the newer 3D movies for rent. Yes, you have to rent them, but the quality is top notch near bluray. The only thing they require is an excellent internet connection speed and they check for that when you order a movie.
Don Landis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Netflix

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page