post #181 of 573 Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Thank you Netflix for returning the 3D programming.
^

+1. I just got on here to report the 3D genre was back and 3D streaming is working again. I hope it stays that way for a while and some new content is added as well.

Go Phillies! Go Eagles! Go Sixers! Go Flyers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 573 Old 12-14-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

^

+1. I just got on here to report the 3D genre was back and 3D streaming is working again. I hope it stays that way for a while and some new content is added as well.

I'm assuming that is via the PS3?

Ed
post #183 of 573 Old 12-15-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Yes, PS3 for me. I would like to hear if any LG or other TV set apps are also back up.
post #184 of 573 Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 PM

In response to Don, Vizio 3D Netflix app is up and running. It looks good so far. although I only watched a few minutes.
post #185 of 573 Old 12-15-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

I'm assuming that is via the PS3?

Ed

Yes, via the PS3. I'm having problems with buffering though, so a movie will stop and I get the swirling icon showing percentage build until it reaches 100%, then it starts playing again. Which could take up to 1 minute or more...annoying.

I don't understand why this buffering is happening. I have 20 Mb down and this should be plenty of bandwidth for 3D streaming. I notice that this happens mostly in the evenings, as during the day 3D streaming usually works fine. I guess it it has something to do with more internet traffic in the evenings or Comcast throttling it at that time?

I'd also like to see Netflix possibly optimize their streaming a little more so less bandwidth is needed for their service. If that's possible?

post #186 of 573 Old 12-15-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Which Vizio model? Not on mine, 32" 3D model. The 3D programs are there but they do not play in 3D.

Tingham- Same here. Please note what your Netflix download rate is, not the download to your modem or even PS3. For example- Here I get 45 Mbs at the computer from comcast but the PS3 only sees 16Mbs. In prime time the buffering is several times for a movie. But after midnight I don't see any buffering on the same title.

This is strange too because my Vudo 3D movies never buffer. I would imagine Netflix is far more popular than Vudu but this is something they will need to work out. I'll bet it has to do with their back end ability to deliver large number of accesses to these high bandwidth programs. Think this is bad wait until they try to do tens of thousands of UHD programs. My gut feeling is that we have enough bandwidth at our end, its the back end server that has the bottleneck. I wonder which service is doing the 3D.

On a positive note, last evening very late I watched about half of Flying Dragon and it never buffered once. The 3D quality was excellent too with plenty of depth. I'll finish it up tonight after midnight.
post #187 of 573 Old 12-15-2013, 05:49 PM

E551d-A0, cinema 3D I believe they call it. Cheap and sturdy (knock on wood.)
post #188 of 573 Old 12-15-2013, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I like when Netflix proudly advertises that it has The Office in SUPERHD, and then proudly displays it to me in like 17p...
post #189 of 573 Old 12-16-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

Thanks. I thought it was one of the larger TV's My 32" model never seems to get the updates. Still doesn't have the 3d Go app yet the Vizio website claims it does have it.
post #190 of 573 Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by neobendez View Post

I like when Netflix proudly advertises that it has The Office in SUPERHD, and then proudly displays it to me in like 17p...

haha I found that funny. I had that once where something was labeled that and I started watching it and was like :mad:

I just turned my wifi on and off and it fixed it though. 

post #191 of 573 Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkor View Post

To confirm, are you saying that your Vizio's built-in Netflix app supports Netflix 3D? I just ordered Vizio E420D-A0 for my son.

Since it's same year model as your Vizio, I wonder if my Vizio will have Netflix app that does 3D as well. If so, that would be great. biggrin.gif

My boy is going to hook up his PS3 and use it to play all things 3D; but if the Vizio can do Netflix 3D at higher resolution than PS3's 720p, that would be icing on the cake.
post #192 of 573 Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 PM

From previous posts I've read and somewhat forgotten on these forums, the TV may support Netflix 3D, but your local cable provider may not. I have mine connected to the internet with a cat 5 cable in Alaska through GCI at 20Meg If we can get the service up here, I would think you could get it about anywhere.

If it already works through your PS3, I'm quite confident it will work on the Vizio, but you never can be sure with electronics. The picture is quite nice on mine, and have since moved the old console to a projector downstairs. Good luck!!
post #193 of 573 Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Which Vizio model? Not on mine, 32" 3D model. The 3D programs are there but they do not play in 3D.

Tingham- Same here. Please note what your Netflix download rate is, not the download to your modem or even PS3. For example- Here I get 45 Mbs at the computer from comcast but the PS3 only sees 16Mbs. In prime time the buffering is several times for a movie. But after midnight I don't see any buffering on the same title.

This is strange too because my Vudo 3D movies never buffer. I would imagine Netflix is far more popular than Vudu but this is something they will need to work out. I'll bet it has to do with their back end ability to deliver large number of accesses to these high bandwidth programs. Think this is bad wait until they try to do tens of thousands of UHD programs. My gut feeling is that we have enough bandwidth at our end, its the back end server that has the bottleneck. I wonder which service is doing the 3D.

On a positive note, last evening very late I watched about half of Flying Dragon and it never buffered once. The 3D quality was excellent too with plenty of depth. I'll finish it up tonight after midnight.

Vudu 3d streams as H-SBS so requires half the bandwidth of Netflix 3d which is frame packed 720p minimum.
post #194 of 573 Old 12-20-2013, 01:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheggie View Post

Vudu 3d streams as H-SBS so requires half the bandwidth of Netflix 3d which is frame packed 720p minimum.

This is not correct.

according to "Jake" at Vudu Engineering, the 3D content is sent at maximum bandwidth of 9 Mbs for it's HDX class content which is frame packed 1080p, HDX. To download Vudu 3D content requires a player or TV with a HDD.

There are a few titles that Vudu has stored at top / bottom 540 x 1920 and a couple at SBS 1080 x 960, in other words, half resolution. No content is stored at Full TB or Full resolution SBS.

Some players such as the PS3 do not support 3D 1080p 60 x 1920 due to the frame buffer size limit. Therefore all 3D content is sent to the TV at a down converted 720p60 x 1280 resolution regardless of how Vudu streams the content. The blu ray player in the PS3 does support 24p for 3D but not the streaming section. It's just how the PS3 is wired. All 3D content from the PS3 is delivered as frame packed. Movies in HDX are stored at 1080 24p x 1920 and TV shows are stored at 1080 30p x 1920. But with the PS3, these movies are output to the TV at 1080 60p x 1920 for 2D and 720p60 x 1280 for 3D.

The long story short is this- Just because you have a Vudu 3D app on your streaming device does not mean that the 3DTV will support the format. Just because it supports HDMI 1.4a and 1080 24p x 1920 Blu Ray disks in 3D doesn't mean the TV will support 3D frame packed from Vudu. In my research on this it is entirely dependent on your equipment. I did uncover one verified 3D TV from Sharp that does not support it and displays Vudu 3D content in half resolution side by side which requires that the TV be put in manual 3D SBS mode to see 3D. It is also only HDMI1.3 compliant.. That report would support your claim that you can't see Vudu in frame packed but it does not mean that Vudu is streamed in SBS half resolution. I guess the real short story is, if you want full VUDU HDX frame packed it all depends on your equipment.

If you would like to ask Vudu engineering anything specific as to your system and Vudu app, you can find them available on the Vudu user support forum on the Vudu web site.
post #195 of 573 Old 12-20-2013, 03:25 AM

Liked: 12
I've recorded quite a few Disney and Sony 3d Vudu HDX movies through HDMI 1080i and 720p all show up as H-SBS. No HDD in Boxee or Samsung Bluray player only PS3 convert H-SBS as 720p frame pack on the fly.
post #196 of 573 Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

As Vudu engineering said, it is all dependent on your equipment. FWIW- the bandwidth of a single HD frame in 2D is 4.5 Mbs. If they streamed SBSh the bandwidth would still be 4.5 Mbs. But it is not,. the 3D is frame packed is streamed at 9+Mbs. smile.gif

I only get Vudu from 3 sources- Oppo app, PS3 app in my HT with a Sony Projector. and on my 32" Vizio 3D TV. All of them display as frame packed. I have not personally seen Vudu in SBSh but like you, have heard that some people do see it that way. ( Note, my Oppo has not been updated)

I don't really see a major problem with SBSh. It is an excellent compromise for sending 3D over 2D images that is far better than anaglyph. But when you combine SBSh with a passive screen it can be a double hit to the resolution causing a severe loss in resolution for the larger screens. I don't mind much here because my passive screen is only 32". I'm sure I would not like it if the Vizio was one of the 65" models.

Update- Last evening I activated my Vudu account on my new WDTV Live box and while it does deliver 3D in 1080p 60. The format is SBSh. There ya go! I now have equipment that does what you claim. biggrin.gif Bandwidth tested was just over 9Mbs as what Vudu engineering said it should be. Netflix, 3D is in the 12 Mbs range.
post #197 of 573 Old 12-31-2013, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

As Vudu engineering said, it is all dependent on your equipment. FWIW- the bandwidth of a single HD frame in 2D is 4.5 Mbs. If they streamed SBSh the bandwidth would still be 4.5 Mbs. But it is not,. the 3D is frame packed is streamed at 9+Mbs. smile.gif

I only get Vudu from 3 sources- Oppo app, PS3 app in my HT with a Sony Projector. and on my 32" Vizio 3D TV. All of them display as frame packed. I have not personally seen Vudu in SBSh but like you, have heard that some people do see it that way. ( Note, my Oppo has not been updated)

I don't really see a major problem with SBSh. It is an excellent compromise for sending 3D over 2D images that is far better than anaglyph. But when you combine SBSh with a passive screen it can be a double hit to the resolution causing a severe loss in resolution for the larger screens. I don't mind much here because my passive screen is only 32". I'm sure I would not like it if the Vizio was one of the 65" models.

Update- Last evening I activated my Vudu account on my new WDTV Live box and while it does deliver 3D in 1080p 60. The format is SBSh. There ya go! I now have equipment that does what you claim. biggrin.gif Bandwidth tested was just over 9Mbs as what Vudu engineering said it should be. Netflix, 3D is in the 12 Mbs range.

So are you saying Netflix requires a faster internet connection than Vudu? I ask because Netflix 3D while now working buffers too much to be watchable for me. Vudu on the other hand I can watch no problem. I did the speed test through the Vudu app on my PS3 and it maxed out their 9mps meter for the duration of the test. I am under the impression I have very fast internet. Netflix 3D is the only media that I have trouble with at home across any device.

I'm just wondering if the issue is with Netflix, or if Netflix 3D is just that much more demanding than anything else we stream? We watch 2D Netflix without any buffering at all.
post #198 of 573 Old 12-31-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How can you tell the download rate for Netflix Don?. I'm using a wired connection from my router to the PS3. Prime time 3d is un-watchable for me with all the buffering. During the day no issues whatsoever. Netflix needs to do something with their streaming during prime time. I also notice that 2d streaming suffers at prime time as well, but no buffering occurs at that time with 2d, only 3d.

I watched Flying Dragon as well during the day with no issues, and like you I thought it was excellent. Lots of depth and pop out. The picture quality was excellent at 720p. Some of the best 3d pop out that I have seen.

post #199 of 573 Old 12-31-2013, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So the inlaws came to town over Christmas and I wanted to show her dad my fancy new 3D TV capabilities and fired up the Netflix on my Sony S5100 BDP and guess what...it freakin' buffered on every 3D movie I tried to stream and wouldn't play ultimately. I wasn't aware that I had "slow internet". Major disappointment and my father-in-law wasn't impressed. Major fail ...what gives and how can I work around this?
post #200 of 573 Old 12-31-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

So the inlaws came to town over Christmas and I wanted to show her dad my fancy new 3D TV capabilities and fired up the Netflix on my Sony S5100 BDP and guess what...it freakin' buffered on every 3D movie I tried to stream and wouldn't play ultimately. I wasn't aware that I had "slow internet". Major disappointment and my father-in-law wasn't impressed. Major fail ...what gives and how can I work around this?
You can't. The problem over Christmas was with Netflix's servers, it was slow for everyone (myself included). It had nothing to do with 3D or your equipment.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #201 of 573 Old 01-01-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

Wouldn't you want to show off a 3DTV with a proper 3D title? Like from a 3D BD? I can't think of any streaming service I would use to show off a TV. None of them come close to what a BD looks like. And the S5100 does a superb job with 2D and 3D BD titles.
jbernardi likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #202 of 573 Old 01-02-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Wouldn't you want to show off a 3DTV with a proper 3D title? Like from a 3D BD? I can't think of any streaming service I would use to show off a TV. None of them come close to what a BD looks like. And the S5100 does a superb job with 2D and 3D BD titles.

I've watched several titles streaming OnDemand from HBO or Starz that I would be proud to show off. Sure the horizontal resolution might be a little lower than a Bluray, but the depth and pop out are still impressive. Honestly, the image isn't even that soft.
post #203 of 573 Old 01-03-2014, 08:23 AM

Sure I could pop in a proper Blu-Ray 3D title but the only one I own at the moment is ST:Into Darkness and he's not really a star trek fan. I was hoping to demo a variety of 3D content available on Netflix. Guess the Netflix servers aren't up to the task and they don't seem to care. Bummer...I'm actually one of the few people that really likes home 3D after getting my Sony LED.
post #204 of 573 Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Liked: 14
Has anyone been able to get their S5100 to access Netflix 3D properly?
post #205 of 573 Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVSTAR View Post

In the past I had no issues, but i have not tried it recently.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #206 of 573 Old 01-04-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVSTAR View Post

Was able to watch the Cave documentary and then part of the Hole before it froze my machine. Art of Flight would only play about 4 seconds in 3D before locking up.
post #207 of 573 Old 01-05-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham View Post

Yes, via the PS3. I'm having problems with buffering though, so a movie will stop and I get the swirling icon showing percentage build until it reaches 100%, then it starts playing again. Which could take up to 1 minute or more...annoying.

I don't understand why this buffering is happening. I have 20 Mb down and this should be plenty of bandwidth for 3D streaming. I notice that this happens mostly in the evenings, as during the day 3D streaming usually works fine. I guess it it has something to do with more internet traffic in the evenings or Comcast throttling it at that time?

I'd also like to see Netflix possibly optimize their streaming a little more so less bandwidth is needed for their service. If that's possible?

I have a fast internet connection both on the Netflix app on the  tv (Samsung 8000) and the blu-ray (Panasonic dmp-xxx), though I use the tv and tried Friday to stream a 3d and it was terrible with the buffering- doesn't happen on HD streams- I have charter as an isp/cable company- do you complain to them or Netflix or both? Has anyone tried Amazon prime? I haven't even checked if they even have 3d titles.

post #208 of 573 Old 01-05-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

I've watched several titles streaming OnDemand from HBO or Starz that I would be proud to show off. Sure the horizontal resolution might be a little lower than a Bluray, but the depth and pop out are still impressive. Honestly, the image isn't even that soft.

How is the audio (assuming you are going thru a avr) on the hbo or starz on demand 3d? Are they free or do you have to pay for them?

post #209 of 573 Old 01-05-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by extech View Post

I have a fast internet connection both on the Netflix app on the  tv (Samsung 8000) and the blu-ray (Panasonic dmp-xxx), though I use the tv and tried Friday to stream a 3d and it was terrible with the buffering- doesn't happen on HD streams- I have charter as an isp/cable company- do you complain to them or Netflix or both? Has anyone tried Amazon prime? I haven't even checked if they even have 3d titles.

I really think the problem is with Netflix. I have a 25mbps connection, and constantly experienced buffering when viewing 3D movies to the point where they were unwatchable, whereas the 2D HD streams (as well as 3D streams from Vudu) worked just fine. I experienced the same behavior on two PS3's and my LG LM7600. I don't know if Netflix has dedicated but underpowered servers for 3D or what but clearly they still don't have a handle on streaming 3D.
post #210 of 573 Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extech View Post

As I have posted before, during the day everything works fine with Netflix, but I'm convinced that Neflix is at fault and their HD and 3D streaming cannot support their customer base fully during prime time, for whatever reason. Their service has been very bad for me during prime time, especially in the last month or so. I remember when they 1st supported Super HD for all and it worked great during prime time at 1st. I never see it now during prime time and it's been that way for a month or so. They screwed something up.

3D streaming is unwatchable with constant buffering. Supposed HD streaming of movies and shows at 480SD or 480P for long periods during prime time viewing. It's becoming so frustrating for me to watch that I might cancel my subscription until these issues are fixed...3D or not. I have a family, and work during the day so most of the time I'm watching in the evenings.

Maybe many people just don't notice the pic quality issues during prime time, since they have smaller tv's or no hd at all? On my 60" plasma it's not looking pretty. If they can't provide the service I'm paying for it makes no sense for me to continue using it. All the other services I use work fine day or night, Amazon prime, Vudu,..etc.

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Netflix

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page