Resident Evil Retribution 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Its being torn apart on IMDB like a pack of wolves fighting for the last meaty bone of the kill biggrin.gif. Long time RE fans, so I can understand the passion biggrin.gif. Thor's a childhood comic hero, so I wanted the helmet. Instead I got an unhelmeted, and even un-uniformed hemsworth for much of the movie. But Hemsworth drew tons of chicks to the movie, allowing it to total 450M worldwide, guaranteeing the sequel this November, and hopefully a third movie. So its forgivable smile.gif. I'm expecting the helmet in November though.

Being more of a Sega fan, I mainly dealt with their home consoles, before switching to Microsoft's XBOX. For a while Resident Evil was an exclusive Sony property, so my experience with the games is limited. I played one on Sega's console, and I finished another one earlier this year that had been released on Nintendo 3DS smile.gif. Pretty good one too!

So I looked at the 3D Blu Ray for what it was, a mindless action flick to add to the 3D collection I'm building.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Nothing REALLY stood as extreme pop out. A gun magazine, a small mechanical spider, and a sickle like weapons fly AT the screen, but the scene cuts off before these objects come OUT the screen smile.gif.

At one point two giant hooded execution zombies appear and and swing huge axes toward the screen, but not OUT. One swings the axe through a glass window for the out-the-screen shatter effect.

Other than that its the squid like growths that come out the zombies' mouths? But I felt there was a missed opportunity with the giant monster.

They could have done more to show it clawing out the screen or tongue coming out. Directors like to use beasts like this to launch attacks out the screen at the viewer biggrin.gif.

I watched the movie in my player's mode 1 slight verticle increase with slight side cut off. So I was able to see the subtle 3D as well, not just the pop out stuff. Whenever there was a large group of villains together, small groups of that crowd would would be on separate plains of the image, do you can see that some are in the front, some in the rear, some in between.

As for the movie itself, cool opening scene that felt like a music video, with the last battle from last movie being played in reverse.

There's also some SERIOUS kick butt action scenes biggrin.gif. In one scene, she is charged at by 20 zombies and commences to kicking some serious butt biggrin.gif. They slow mowed it, and it looked truly awesome.

The end battle was another decently choreographed fight scene.

Must buy? Naw. But if you want a blast-em-up with some open-a-can fighting, I'd add this. Got it for only 27 bucks.

Its interesting that human/human and human/zombie fight scenes are better than the monster battles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Might want to check your settings, because this one actually had quite a bit of pop-out, like the bullets and the axes and such. Not as much as the last film, but it was definitely there.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree **** was a popin wink.gif
post #4 of 16 Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

This movie is audio candy for your surround system smile.gif! The music video-like intro as the movie begins, and the car chase in the Russia simulation. Theres a car chase that featured zombies, a beast, rocket launchers, machine guns and explosions. While all this is going on, they pump in some pulse pounding music that fits in with the chaos biggrin.gif!

I've seen the little objects pop out, but...how many 3D movies have seen? I've seen snouts pop out in Ice Age 4, hover crafts fly out in Avengers, lava splash out in Wrath of The Titans, giant werewolf come out in Underworld, etc...so my sets okay, its just that compared to what I've seen, RER's 3D was just okay. The executioners axes didnt blow me away. came at the screen more than OUT of it. They had opportunities with the beast that they missed. There were some bullets and flying objects, but could you point me to the scenes with series pop out? On the level of the alien crafts of avengers.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 PM

That sir I can not do
post #6 of 16 Old 01-18-2013, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Don't have to, I watched it again earlier. I guess I was half awake the first time through smile.gif. There is some come-out objects, just not on the level of some of the better 3Ds I've seen:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

-the shotgun coins in reverse coming back out of the helicopter during the battle rewind at the beginning.

-the Resident Evil recap on the moving monitors

-a zombie breaks through a door at the duplicate heroin's house, sending a piece flying out.

-the propeller bladder of a downed Raccoon City helicopter sticks outward.

-zombie mouth tentacles

-flying gun mag, bullets, and blood splatter during the corridor fight smile.gif.

-knife throw

-worms eye view of elite rescue team getting out of vehicles; bottom of doors come out.

-blowing snow

-elite team throws puck-like device that fires bullets out the screen

-giant executioner beast swings huge axe through glass for outward shatter effect.

-executioner throws the axe outward

-executioner punctures tank, getting gasoline on the axe; the excess liquid comes out the screen.

-rpg splinters into smaller pieces

-elite guy gets chainsawed; screen showered with blood.

-upon second look at the giant beast, it has a reptilian tongue that come out smile.gif.

-probably the BEST pop out of the movie...the protagonists drive a car through a fire...the car is now on fire, and it keeps going full speed out the screen biggrin.gif!

-smoke trails from an rpg

-bladed weapon and mechanical spider pop out during final battle.

-gargoils flying before end credits.

Made it me remember how I saw this in the theater as a kinda time waster before the second movie, Dredd, and this wound up actually being the more entertaining movie by far. Cool combat scenes, a soundtrack that rocks the HT, and OKAY 3D. Not spectacular 3D, but some cool scenes.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM

Either I'm getting desensitized to pop out or something is amiss with my rig (HD66, 3DXL, ps3, 146"). I've watched this a ton of times and not noticed all those things. In fact many times I thought "why didnt they make that copper blade stick out" I'm going to have to watch it again tonight. I set my screen size for 146", should I be looking for a differnt player?

Fritz! Fritz, get up for God's sake! Get up! They've killed Fritz! They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies! Those horrible atrocity-filled vermin! Those despicable animal warmongers!
post #8 of 16 Old 01-19-2013, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

Its not spectacular pop out...mild...it seems like if these objects were given just another couple miliseconds, they'd be totally sticking out the screen. JUST before that maximum pop out happens, BAM! It cuts off to another view or scene.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM

That's exactly how it is. Give it a few seconds longer and it would be right there. And yes dredd was much better then I thought it would be
post #10 of 16 Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

I got Afterlife 3D and saw it, and, believe it or not, I enjoyed Retribution more smile.gif.

More action, and a soundtrack that fulls your theater room with atmosphere smile.gif. Very few movies I've seen have managed this perfect visual, audio combination.

Afterlife gets slow after Milla gets to the prison. Some nice 3D gunfire out the screen stuff when the action picks back up. Retribution is a nonstop blastathon biggrin.gif.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-02-2013, 11:43 AM

i have both on 3d the pop out is much better on afterlife on my vt 25, much better overall 3d to me at least.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-02-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

I'm talking about in terms of the entertainment value of the movies as a whole. In Afterlife theres a huge chunk of time spent in an abandoned prison where the movie slows to a crawl. Doesn't happen in Retribution. Somebody is getting shot at, chased in cars, karate kicked at all times smile.gif. The slightly better 3D doesn't make up for the long lulls in the action.

I gotta add that in Afterlife, Milla and her 10 clones' assault on Umbrella at the beginning was pretty awesome smile.gif. After that things get kinda dull until the zombies break into the fortified prison. Then Milla does some cool 3D gunfire out the screen while going through a crowd of zombies...but Restribution had way more action.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I recently finally decided to watch this film on 3d blu-ray and to my disappointment the film is unwatchable and it appears to my eyes as if the two images do not actually converge properly. I am not referring to ghosting (I have tested using a benq w7000 dlp which essentially has no ghosting and a LG PX950 which has some ghosting, as my source I have tried both a ps3 and and lg 3d blu-ray player [can't recall the model number of the top of my head but i'm sure I can get it if need be]) and numerous other 3d films work flawlessly (as in dozens of 3d films along with many 3d games) but the left and right images are not matching at all in this film.

For example near the start of the film when Alice fires the coins at the helicopter if I pause the film as the coins come out of the helicopter is clear that the coins throughout the image are not matching, this is evident in every single shoot in the film and when there is more depth it is more noticeable (in fact it hurts my eyes which 3d never has done when there hasn't been an obvious issue). This is present throughout near on every scene from what I tried with the only scenes being watchable when they had little depth (presumably as this fault was so minimal in such instances). If people would like I can try and take a photo through my 3d glasses lenses to show what I mean.

Is anyone aware of a dud transfer or batch that is around? The blu-ray I have is the Australian release 3d blu-ray release which I imagine is the same as the UK release.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

I recently finally decided to watch this film on 3d blu-ray and to my disappointment the film is unwatchable and it appears to my eyes as if the two images do not actually converge properly. I am not referring to ghosting (I have tested using a benq w7000 dlp which essentially has no ghosting and a LG PX950 which has some ghosting, as my source I have tried both a ps3 and and lg 3d blu-ray player [can't recall the model number of the top of my head but i'm sure I can get it if need be]) and numerous other 3d films work flawlessly (as in dozens of 3d films along with many 3d games) but the left and right images are not matching at all in this film.

For example near the start of the film when Alice fires the coins at the helicopter if I pause the film as the coins come out of the helicopter is clear that the coins throughout the image are not matching, this is evident in every single shoot in the film and when there is more depth it is more noticeable (in fact it hurts my eyes which 3d never has done when there hasn't been an obvious issue). This is present throughout near on every scene from what I tried with the only scenes being watchable when they had little depth (presumably as this fault was so minimal in such instances). If people would like I can try and take a photo through my 3d glasses lenses to show what I mean.

Is anyone aware of a dud transfer or batch that is around? The blu-ray I have is the Australian release 3d blu-ray release which I imagine is the same as the UK release.

Interesting. I have watched this one a couple times in 3d on my W7000 and while not the strongest 3d title I have seen, I did not notice the issues you mention and enjoyed it both times. Great audio as well! I have the NA version.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #15 of 16 Old 10-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Interesting. I have watched this one a couple times in 3d on my W7000 and while not the strongest 3d title I have seen, I did not notice the issues you mention and enjoyed it both times. Great audio as well! I have the NA version.

I will add I did see the film in cinemas and this issue wasn't present there. I shall try and grab some pics tonight (my photography skills are far from stellar but I shall do my best). Does anyone know who I should contact regarding this? I can't return it where I bought it as I don't know where I have placed the receipt and I bought it several months ago.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-08-2013, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Looked okay when I watched it. Sounds like a bum disc, or some issue in the way the system is decoding that particular one. Which is odd, because the frames are packed in together, it would be a bit of a trick to get the system to force them out of sync.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page