full 1080p 3D on YouTube - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello!

After looking through this forum, I'd like to say thanks to everyone who's answers have helped me at some stage in the past; can't think of anything specific right now; but it's come in handy on several occasions.

I'm having some trouble getting full 1080p 3D videos on YouTube - I've noticed many people here have uploaded videos that are available in full HD, I just can't seem to upload anything above 720p because I'm using Sony Vegas and rendering as half SBS. The Full SBS settings won't let me change the resolution to 3840x1080 so it just letterboxes it horribly.

The footage would need editing; and while not essential using Vegas would be preferable - I'm using pro 12.

Can anyone offer any help on this? the source is capable; also I'm planning getting the TD20 at some point; and would love to be able to get my 3d workflow set up before I do.

Sorry for being stupid here...

Thanks in advance!
Comrade Davidoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 03:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I use wmv in SBS half and set the resolution to 1080 x 1920. In YT you set the 3D to "already is 3D"

After YT processes your upload it will show up with a list of resolutions maximum OS 1080p.

You could also use mp4 but the file size on upload is a bit bigger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #3 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Don, Thanks for the reply - but I was hoping to upload them in full 1080p - exporting them as you mentioned will give me two 720p videos multiplexed in a 1080p frame, I'm assuming the 1080p quality option is up-scaled?
How would I go about creating a Full SBS video that would be dual 1080p videos multiplexed together?

Unless anybody knows another way to get full 1080p 3D onto YouTube; is muxing an AVC & MVC stream into full SBS video possible? Format really isn't an issue as long as I can upload it to YouTube.

Thanks!
David W
post #4 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 130
David-
What you propose is extremely unconventional formatting for several reasons. Not saying it can't be done but to do that might need some form of hack to YT rules to upload. They require SBS half for pre formatted 3D. This is a full frame 1080 x 1920 divided into two squeezed images 1080x960 side by side. If you mess with that rule for YT then it's software wont know what to do with the file. Weird things may happen.

You may wish to experiment with other compression formats to improve quality over what I suggested. Start with h.264 or mp4. I have used these too but they give barely noticeable improvement in image quality and suffer upload time as the files are considerably larger.

Another thing I have done in the past is create a full resolution 3D blu ray ISO file in Vegas Pro and upload that to my own server. this, I guarantee will get you the maximum quality your production equipment will do but this costs in both time and money. I have my productions, Valley of Fire, and Bryce Canyon on my server in full 3D blu ray ISO files. The recipient has to download a multi gigabyte file and then burn it to a blu ray 25 gb BD-R to play. I think only about 30 people have downloaded these files. For the rest "normal" people, YT is good enough for them. wink.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #5 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

cool, thanks for the clarification!

So just to finalise this line of enquiry - does that mean all videos currently on YouTube in 3D with the quality at 1080p have a resolution of 1080x960 per eye as opposed to the 1080x1920 resolution per eye on a 3D blu ray?

Sorry for asking fairly basic questions; I assumed that YouTube 3D would display full resolution. As for uploading I'll probably use h.264 or similar.

Thanks Don!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 47
If they were uploaded that way (and most of them are), then yes. I have seen a handful that are encoded over-under, with each eye at 1920x540, but I've found the result is a very soft picture. I prefer HSBS myself.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page