post #1 of 11 Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, Staring Jet Li

"Gripping story of power, pleasure, and revenge....."

"A martial arts masterpiece filled with spectacular 3D action!"

Just bought and watched this other night.
If you like martial arts movies you should like this one.
The 3D is some of the best I have seen. Was filmed in 3D so picture is very sharp and smooth.
But what I like in the 3D isn't so much the "action", but the scenery , which is just spectacular!

The only down side, which I didn't think of till watching, is the sub titles. Which detract from the picture, not only does it take your eyes from the picture but just having it on screen is a bit annoying. But to their credit they have strived to place the subtitles so as to not "interfere" with the 3D effect. And there is a lot of outstanding 3D effect.

Sound is Chinese/Mandarin 5.1, or English dubbed 2.0
Aspect ratio 2.35:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-19-2013, 10:19 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 544
The 3d is outstanding on this title! I actually just shut the subtitles off after a while and took a "visual journey" instead. Reading subtitles and trying to appreciate the 3d really clash with each other.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 11 Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wrote a mini review here after first watching this. It really should be added to the top of the top of 3D demos if you ask me.
Quote:
This movie should earn an award for 3D artistry. You sometimes hear reviews of action movies talking about "swords in your face". Well that comment is an insult to this movie. This movie has shattered sword pieces in your face, and every weapon and particle you can imagine. There is a scene with a brownish sky and storm cloud and the natural depth is so amazing. With the thick of it coming out of the screen and the depth reaching so deep. Never saw a better 3d "sky" before. There is a scene where Jet Li is fighting on a ship and they are cutting ropes and rope peices are flying all over the place, toward you, deeper into the screen, everywhere.

I can tell whoever did this movie loves 3D. They took so much effort to make sure just about every scene had the most pop out AND depth into the screen. To be honest with you it's almost too much. But if you want to KNOW you are watching 3D, without having to lift up your glasses to see the difference. THIS is the movie for you. If this is a sign of future martial arts epics I will be keeping an eye on these types of movies in the future. Just one more example, a scene in a temple just outside, there are just the tips of tree branches sticking out on 3 separate corners of the screen JUST to add an extra look to that scene. It's not only bombarding you with incredible depth almost every scene, but there is hardly any ghosting what so ever.

It's a great 3D demo movie I'd put up there with Avatar, Under the Sea, and the last 30 minutes of Avengers. Definitely check it out if you want to see some amazing 3D. The action is great, but the story is convoluted and hard to follow, but it's really amazing "3d cinematography" if you ask me.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-22-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sounds good, I received it last week from Amazon but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sorry about that Elrowyn, I had not seen your review of this film!
You were spot on !!
post #6 of 11 Old 02-15-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The sound language(english etc) can be selected without sub-title option on this 3D dvd.

If you look under audio,language, select english, select no sub-title, scroll down then you will see two speaker small icons below that, one to turn sound on, one to turn sound off. So basically you can watch movie and hear english dialog. It is a new option I've never seen before and works great.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Yeah, but why would you want to, though?

Finally saw this one today. The 3D was certainly pretty damn good for the most part. I saw quite a few artifacts throughout the film, though, but I'm not sure if it's native to the film or if it's a problem with Netflix's streaming (there were also compression artifacts, which are a big no-no for 3D video).

Anyway, the only thing that I really had problems with was the English dub. This has got to be one of the single worst dubs I have ever heard in my life. Subtitles I can handle... hearing that dialog again will make me want to tear my ears off. The delivery was so bad that I had a hard time following what was actually going on. And they made zero effort to differentiate who was talking (I swear I heard the same voice come out of three or four different actors). Maybe watching it again later with subtitles and proper Mandarin audio will help figure out all the little bits and pieces of the plot.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Yeah, but why would you want to, though?

Finally saw this one today. The 3D was certainly pretty damn good for the most part. I saw quite a few artifacts throughout the film, though, but I'm not sure if it's native to the film or if it's a problem with Netflix's streaming (there were also compression artifacts, which are a big no-no for 3D video).

Anyway, the only thing that I really had problems with was the English dub. This has got to be one of the single worst dubs I have ever heard in my life. Subtitles I can handle... hearing that dialog again will make me want to tear my ears off. The delivery was so bad that I had a hard time following what was actually going on. And they made zero effort to differentiate who was talking (I swear I heard the same voice come out of three or four different actors). Maybe watching it again later with subtitles and proper Mandarin audio will help figure out all the little bits and pieces of the plot.

What artifacts exactly? I can't speak to the streamed version, but I saw no major artifacting on the blu ray.

You need to do as you suspect and watch in Mandarin with subtitles next time.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yep, the BR is gorgeous, just 3D done right.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-2013, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have to say one of the best 3D movies I've seen. The visuals were just amazing and the story line was not that bad.

The only problem I had (albeit I was watching a "streamed" version) was that there seemed to be missing subtitles throughout the movie. For instance - a character would speak for a good minute and all the subtitles would say is "Go get him." Now, I don't speak mandarin but I am pretty sure the actor said a lot more than 3 words in 1 minute.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

What artifacts exactly? I can't speak to the streamed version, but I saw no major artifacting on the blu ray.
There were a few times here and there where the left/right images didn't match up entirely correctly. Usually with shading, where a highlight or shadow in one eye would be slightly brighter than the other. That can sometimes happen with a compressed stream, depending on how it's being delivered, if the two eyes aren't compressed in exactly the same way, you get some different blending in one eye versus the other. I've also seen it before on some lower-budget titles that were shot in native 3D (Dredd comes to mind, even on the BD), where I suspect they didn't have the time or money to properly color-match the two images exactly between filming and release. No matter how good your cameras are, the two images are never *quite* the same in terms of brightness/contrast, and probably color as well. This is usually fixed in post pretty easily, but does take time and money. I found it somewhat more distracting here than it was in Dredd (and don't get me wrong, I frikkin' love Dredd). And there also some straight-up compression artifacts which hurt the presentation quite a bit, since those will nearly always appear differently between the eyes, which completely ruins the effect. I know that's a result of the Netflix stream, though.

I'm seriously considering picking this one up on BD, in any event. Makes me wish they had shot Hero in 3D, that's still my favorite wuxia film (and I'm still patiently awaiting a proper BD release for that one, too).

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page