The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After you viewed the movie, did you get the feeling that...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
You were totally ripped off, as the main antagonist, the one-armed Orc, waltzed away into the sunset? Look...everyone knows that this trilogy is based on the book, and the DRAGON is the main antagonist. So how you, or any normal director, is supposed to structure this, is to have smaller stories interwoven into the trilogy so that each movie stands out as its own entity, DESPITE it being a trilogy based on a book. Look at any multi-movie franchise and thats how its structured. Not because its a law, but because its how you send an audience out the theater fulfilled smile.gif!

Yes, there's two more movies upcoming, and of course the Dragon would remain untouched in this movie, but you still have to put a PERIOD on this 3 hours that people are watching TODAY! Right now smile.gif! As an award (?) winning director, how did he not do what the average dime-a-dozen director does?

He builds the one-armed Orc up throughout the movie as the secondary, EXPENDABLE antagonist of this 3 hour movie you're watching TODAY smile.gif! He's NOT in the book!! Never mind about the Dragon, its the main villain of the TRILOGY? The Orc is given a motivation based on revenge, is in hot pursuit of the protagonists, and even puts a bounty on them. There are SIDE obstacles thrown in the protagonists' path, like the rock giants, hungry trolls, Golem, and Goblin King army. Side obstacles, and are treated as such. The Orc is clearly your expendable villain of the 3 hours you're watching TODAY! Dont hand me the Goblin King, its a side character looking to collect the bounty imposed by the MAIN villain.

The protagonists fight the Orc. Happens all the time. The hero will clash with the villain several times in a movie before the climactic finish. The climactic battle was not only one where the Orc didnt get a scratch, but he walks away unscathed...and the credits roll smile.gif...worst rip off I had ever experienced at a movie. As a stand alone blu ray? No way smile.gif! If I catch it on cable or On Demand, fine, but $35 for a film with no pay off? No.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I didn't notice that. I can see 3D pretty well, but I have a slight astigmatism and wonder if that affects anything. I have a problem resolving fast outward 3D, whereas if the 3D juts out of the screen slowly (potato cod in Imax: Under the Sea) I can resolve it just fine.
Totally! However, the bass just wasn't present in a lot of scenes like it should have been. In most movies I have to dial down my bass but in this one I had to crank it up.

Agreed on the LFE. Most disappointing LFE track since the movie 2012. frown.gif

3d was very good overall though and is definitely the best way to watch this film IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #33 of 40 Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

No, it should have happened the way you described, but it didn't feel like a hack job of a movie done by a noob. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was well worth the price of admission on blu ray - the 3D was pretty outstanding. Too bad you're gonna miss out.

post #34 of 40 Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

You were totally ripped off, as the main antagonist, the one-armed Orc, waltzed away into the sunset? Look...everyone knows that this trilogy is based on the book, and the DRAGON is the main antagonist. So how you, or any normal director, is supposed to structure this, is to have smaller stories interwoven into the trilogy so that each movie stands out as its own entity, DESPITE it being a trilogy based on a book. Look at any multi-movie franchise and thats how its structured. Not because its a law, but because its how you send an audience out the theater fulfilled smile.gif!

Yes, there's two more movies upcoming, and of course the Dragon would remain untouched in this movie, but you still have to put a PERIOD on this 3 hours that people are watching TODAY! Right now smile.gif! As an award (?) winning director, how did he not do what the average dime-a-dozen director does?

He builds the one-armed Orc up throughout the movie as the secondary, EXPENDABLE antagonist of this 3 hour movie you're watching TODAY smile.gif! He's NOT in the book!! Never mind about the Dragon, its the main villain of the TRILOGY? The Orc is given a motivation based on revenge, is in hot pursuit of the protagonists, and even puts a bounty on them. There are SIDE obstacles thrown in the protagonists' path, like the rock giants, hungry trolls, Golem, and Goblin King army. Side obstacles, and are treated as such. The Orc is clearly your expendable villain of the 3 hours you're watching TODAY! Dont hand me the Goblin King, its a side character looking to collect the bounty imposed by the MAIN villain.

The protagonists fight the Orc. Happens all the time. The hero will clash with the villain several times in a movie before the climactic finish. The climactic battle was not only one where the Orc didnt get a scratch, but he walks away unscathed...and the credits roll smile.gif...worst rip off I had ever experienced at a movie. As a stand alone blu ray? No way smile.gif! If I catch it on cable or On Demand, fine, but $35 for a film with no pay off? No.

None of that bothered me really, but I thought the movie was underwhelming in general and even a bit goofy at times. I watched once in IMAX (very lukewarm to the film), once on blu ray 3d (as underwhelmed as my IMAX experience as far as the film itself) and tried a 3rd time motivated mainly to check out the 2d PQ. My 3rd attempt I had to shut off the film after an hour as it actually got worse for me vs my first two times. I dont see myself ever watching this lackluster movie again and what a far cry from the LOTR films which are true masterpieces IMO.

I will still check out the next installment, but not until it hits blu ray and it will be a rental at that!

Hilarious vid for those who have not seen it. What went wrong with The Hobbit in 4 minutes or less......... biggrin.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8LDhsH79jAY

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #35 of 40 Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Liked: 12
If you dont plan on...
...killing, or at least defeating the Orc, why build him up as main villain of this installment?! The Goblin King and his army are defeated, but they're treated like a momentary speed bump like the Trolls, rock giants, and golem, who are also defeated. The Goblin army pop up out of nowhere near the end of the film. During the 145 minutes that preceeded them, you're LEAD on a path that has the Orc seeking revenge on the Dwarves for a past battle that left him with one arm. In pursuit of the protagonists, puts out a bounty....if the Goblins are your climactic battle, why not have THEM built up throughout the movie?! The grunt goblins should have been an irritant to the traveling protagonists throughout the movie, then the battle at the end would seem like a pay off. Their thinking was, have the goblins just pop up out of thin air at the end, and heres your pay off smile.gif! Forget about that Orc that I implanted in your brain the last 145 minutes smile.gif! You're like, wow, they escaped the goblins, another brief obstacle like the trolls and rock giants, gee, cant wait until they ultimately clash with the REAL villain biggrin.gif!

The battle happens! But...it feels like only one of those preliminary skirmishes that happen ALL the time in movies, because the villain doesnt get a scratch and walks away! Okay, here comes the REAL, clamactic battle! Credits roll smile.gif...theater lights come on...ushers come in...the villain of the TRILOGY, the dragon, survives as expected, AND the expendable second tier villain created to put closure to this ONE movie rides off...just a collosal mess...
post #36 of 40 Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 PM

Liked: 10
I kinda see it as the battle happened and for a change the good guys got their arses whipped by the clearly stronger force. It's almost realistic lol. Not every movie has the good guy come out on top. Empire comes to mind, and I'd say thats a great movie (not that the Hobbit is in that league).

Fritz! Fritz, get up for God's sake! Get up! They've killed Fritz! They've killed Fritz! Those lousy stinking yellow fairies! Those horrible atrocity-filled vermin! Those despicable animal warmongers!
post #37 of 40 Old 03-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Focusing on the villains and orc body count I think misses the point. Bilbo's growth as a character in the film culminates when he shows real courage during the final battle, growth that the dwarves recognize just before the credits. That is the "period" to the first installment.
post #38 of 40 Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I didn't notice that. I can see 3D pretty well, but I have a slight astigmatism and wonder if that affects anything. I have a problem resolving fast outward 3D, whereas if the 3D juts out of the screen slowly (potato cod in Imax: Under the Sea) I can resolve it just fine.

I have fairly heavy astigmatism correction and seem to have issues with pop out. Everything else seems fine though. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about it.
post #39 of 40 Old 04-14-2013, 12:57 AM

Liked: 15
My daughter and I really enjoyed the movie (HFR & 3D, in a Dolby ATMOS theater). I am waiting on purchasing the Bluray till they release the "Extended Version".... Probably about the time "Desolation of Smaug" gets released unfortunately!
post #40 of 40 Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Yeah, it's coming out later this year, probably around November.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page