Man of Steel in 3D. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw the trailer in 3D when I went to go see The Hobbit for a second time and I thought the trailer looked awesome. I saw the trailer about 20 times before but seeing it in 3D was just amazing. The part in the beginning when he is underwater, it looked like he was floating the theater! Post converted but it still looks great. Probably my most anticipated movie of 2013.

Here's a 3D trailer for those who haven't seen it yet. It's going to be epic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 AM

Liked: 11
Unfortunately that is not the real 3D trailer, just an auto-converted one with some program as it says in the description and on the channel's profile page. I've also seen the IMAX 3D Man of Steel trailer and it is probably the best conversion I've seen (though it may have been converted independently of the full movie), but I'm not sure that one's online anywhere :/
post #3 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 AM

I hate to bump the thread, but I didn't want to make one myself, plus the title fits into my question a little.

Now that the movie is out, who saw the movie in a real IMAX theater? How was the 3D?

I plan on seeing it Monday at AMC Universal Citywalk Stadium 19 here in Los Angeles. I don't need spoilers, I just need a general idea if the 3D was good or not and what people thought about it. smile.gif
post #4 of 14 Old 06-16-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I decided to see the film in 2D. The 3D in the official trailer didn't look too impressive to me and reading that Zack Snyder shot the film largely with handheld cameras and with no consideration for 3D pretty much sealed the deal for me. I love 3D but I've become tired of these films that were not shot with 3D in mind at all but rather have it bolted on as an afterthought.

As for the film itself, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Zack Snyder and David Goyer have created a Superman for the post 9/11 world and while the film is definitely more serious than prior Superman films and the level of carnage really amps up, the film never struck me as brooding or depressing like the Nolan Batman films. Good action and good performances all around (especially Zod).
post #5 of 14 Old 06-17-2013, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw it in a real IMAX 3d theater, the krypton scenes being overly cgi were ok, but tbh the best 3d was the pacific rim trailer (;

Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The 3D did nothing for me. I'm getting tired of the lame under use of it.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-18-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The signs all pointed to a sub-par 3D experience: fast cuts, hand held camerawork, muted colors, etc.

Its efforts like this that will kill 3D. Studios really need to either embrace the technology and make the films with 3D in mind from day 1 of filming or just present it in 2D, as a film like Man of Steel was obviously intended to be.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

The signs all pointed to a sub-par 3D experience: fast cuts, hand held camerawork, muted colors, etc.

I agree that all these factors are not the best for 3D conversion, however it appears that those who worked on this film had a handle on all these negatives. Almost all the film is behind the screen plane and even with the fast cuts changes in depth were not jarring or hard on the eyes. I was pleased with the overall experience and thought it added to my enjoyment of the film. No this wasn't the best film to convert but I believe a fine job was done and it did not detract from the film in any way as the enhancement of depth during the intimate scenes and mega action scenes worked well for me.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I saw this movie in 2D. Honestly if I saw this in 3D I wouldn't even be able to follow the action, its like 2 hours straight of action, my head would explode if it was 3D.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto View Post

I saw it in a real IMAX 3d theater, the krypton scenes being overly cgi were ok, but tbh the best 3d was the pacific rim trailer (;

I would concur. I think a lot of the fight scenes, especially the last one, were poorly rendered CGI and it just didn't work w/ 3D.

I thought the Gravity trailer was >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pacific Godzilla. I mean Pacific Rim.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-25-2013, 01:01 AM

Fortunately the 3D wasn't "bad", but it mostly seemed barely if at all there. I wish I had saved a few bucks and seen the 2D.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 PM

Liked: 16
yeah, i only said wow one time. other than that, the 3d was meg. it was 'quality' but wasn't impressive.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 AM

Liked: 12
I seen it yesterday in 3D and loved it. The 3D was damn good.

Lyle
post #14 of 14 Old 07-04-2013, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Wheeler View Post

I seen it yesterday in 3D and loved it. The 3D was damn good.

Lyle

Lyle, I'm glad you liked it. (I haven't seen it yet) but I have to ask what kind of 3D you like to put this in perspective. Some like Heavy depth with some in your face, others prefer very subtle, little pop out 3D, which do you love...?
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page