Good Quality Free 3D Content? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Samsung 3D TV, but not much 3D content to watch. I've browsed through the free "Explore 3D" app, and a lot of the stuff in there looks awful. I own two 3D blurays...Megamind and Under the Sea. The quality is great, but I'm looking for something new...just some more decent quality 3D stuff to casually watch. (I understand that downloaded content is going to be more compressed and not as high quality as a Bluray.)

I don't really want to buy a bunch of 3D Imax movies that I'll watch once...I'm looking for free 5-10 minute clips that are high quality. Has anyone found any quality free 3D content? I understand that nobody is going to hand out a Hollywood movie for free legally, but perhaps there are some places to watch high quality 3D trailers, or maybe some independently filmed 3D documentaries?

I have access to Samsung SmartTV apps, a PS3, or anything that can be downloaded locally to a PC (which I can move to my PS3).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed3120 View Post

I have a Samsung 3D TV, but not much 3D content to watch. I've browsed through the free "Explore 3D" app, and a lot of the stuff in there looks awful. I own two 3D blurays...Megamind and Under the Sea. The quality is great, but I'm looking for something new...just some more decent quality 3D stuff to casually watch. (I understand that downloaded content is going to be more compressed and not as high quality as a Bluray.)

I don't really want to buy a bunch of 3D Imax movies that I'll watch once...I'm looking for free 5-10 minute clips that are high quality. Has anyone found any quality free 3D content? I understand that nobody is going to hand out a Hollywood movie for free legally, but perhaps there are some places to watch high quality 3D trailers, or maybe some independently filmed 3D documentaries?

I have access to Samsung SmartTV apps, a PS3, or anything that can be downloaded locally to a PC (which I can move to my PS3).

Vudu had some decent 3D documentaries available that I bought for 99 cents each last year. You should check to see if they're still available at that price.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Here's one I saw in the NEW apps section http://3dcrave.com/ did'nt check it out.

mark
post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy1 View Post

Vudu had some decent 3D documentaries available that I bought for 99 cents each last year. You should check to see if they're still available at that price.

Thanks..that's a good tip. 99 cents is a good price. Was the quality good?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The videos had excellent picture quality, in my opinion. In particular the one about the luxury hotels in Dubai. At the time I purchased them, Vudu had each title listed for rental at $2.99, but it was only $.99 per title to purchase...so I purchased all of the titles they had available.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Can always check Youtube also, I have some 3D clips on my channel. Just look up Blazin3D

Vudu is also great!

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #7 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Yes Vudu 3D HD quality is excellent.
They have several free 3D HD movie trailers that are great for free 3D demos.
Also you can play the first couple minutes free of any title too.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The Blazin 3D clips on YouTube are cool as well...lots of crazy pop-out effects.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Rudy thanks, I will try to upload more for everyone when I get some time.

3D items I own:

Sony 46" LX900 active 3D set

Sony HMZ-T3 (Cushion pads and light blocker mod)

LG LW6500 passive 3D set

PS3 & PS4

Sony BDP-S570 BD3D player

JVC-GS-TD1 (with Cyclopital base extender)

Fujifilm W3

Sony Alpha 55 (for 3D panoramic photos)

Quadcopter + Zenmuse and GoPro Hero 3 (Filming...

post #10 of 11 Old 02-12-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 123
While there are quite a few 3D videos on YouTube channels, that are free as requested, the question of quality is probably an individual issue. Are you defining "quality" as technical or story or both? I usually follow the idea that you get what you pay for but often some good content can be had for free and bad stuff for a high price.

What I do for movies is rent them. 3D-blurayrental.com is my favorite

For quick entertainment I surf YouTube search 3D. free and only cost you time. Here you can see my channel as well and I have over 45 3D productions, many are complete shows, not just a 2 minute clip shot with a cell phone. I have a couple of travel documentaries, several performance shows, lots of Disney World attractions, some demos of technology in the 3D industry such as the latest, OLED 3D TVs, some concerts like Earth, Wind, and Fire, and Kelley Pickler events. it's all for free and cost you nothing but time.

Vudu is good too but not free. The low cost documentaries are ok for one time viewing but as stated, the 99 cent own it allows you to watch over and over. I bought a few of these.

direcTV has a couple channels in 3D.

Finally, DTS is one company that gives away a demo Disk each year with some excellent 3D demos to highlight their latest sound technology. You have to attend one of their demo booths at a trade show to get this disk but check on ebay as they do get sold.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

For 3D imaging alone, I actually enjoy some of the stuff that Samsung has available through their 3D app.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page