"Oz The Great and Powerful" 3D done right........ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Saw "Oz The Great and Powerful" last night in Real3D and was really impressed with director Sam Raimi's use of 3D in this film. It goes to show you how well 3D can work when a director has the will to work at it a bit and get it to enhance the presentation of the scenes. Alot of nice pop-out and color that makes the film even more magical. Much better than Alice in Wonderland. This is one to see on the big screen but will also be great on our home setups. Looking forward to the blu-ray. It will be another nice 3D demo disc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Interesting.,.. I know a few OZ heads that seen it and they did not like it. I think they all saw it in 2D though.
post #3 of 29 Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we're talking 3D presentation here. I'm sure people into the original OZ books would find alot to fault in this picture. I really enjoyed it as a 21st century bit of entertainment more based on it's relationship to the 1939 movie than to the 1900 books. It held together better for me than the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland did, with the whole girl power subtext I guess I missed in the original books. I thought Oz was more entertaining and had waaaay better 3D.
post #4 of 29 Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Well, wiki said it was filmed with the two-camera system, and not a 3-D film with the 3-D added after the fact.

My theater had the obnoxious problem where the left eye had way too much magenta-red, so in scenes in ruddy or afternoon light, or, say, landscapes with a patch of red in them, the red areas were messed up in their 3-D placement. It really took one out of the picture. I told a young guy about the problem and I could hear him talking to the manager or leaving a message, for whatever good it might do. Possibly there was a problem in the temperature of the projection light source.

The 3-D looked great other than that. Some of the best pop-out I've ever seen. The movie itself... well, that's another story entirely.

CW Hinkle
post #5 of 29 Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I saw it for the second time last weekend on an XD 3d digital presentation. This was the worst 3D picture that I have even encountered in a theater.

First of all, all of the text seemed to suffer from convergence problems. Red and green color on the outside of each letter; how can this be?

Secondly, the background was always out of focus.

Whats worse they a building a new XD (what ever that stands for) cinema about 8 miles from my home in Monroeville, PA. Looks like thay are spending a fortune it. I will occupy the vacated JC Penney section of the Monroeville Mall.

I should have asked for my money back.

Any comments would be appreciated. I have seen better 3D at home!
post #6 of 29 Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood View Post

My theater had the obnoxious problem where the left eye had way too much magenta-red, so in scenes in ruddy or afternoon light, or, say, landscapes with a patch of red in them, the red areas were messed up in their 3-D placement. It really took one out of the picture. I told a young guy about the problem and I could hear him talking to the manager or leaving a message, for whatever good it might do. Possibly there was a problem in the temperature of the projection light source.

IMAX is the only theatrical format that uses two projectors for 3D, which could conceivably have an issue with the color tempterature of one lamp differing from the other. All other 3D formats use a single projector. Was it an IMAX screening you went to?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #7 of 29 Old 03-18-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager View Post

I saw it for the second time last weekend on an XD 3d digital presentation. This was the worst 3D picture that I have even encountered in a theater.

First of all, all of the text seemed to suffer from convergence problems. Red and green color on the outside of each letter; how can this be?

Secondly, the background was always out of focus.

I should have asked for my money back.

Any comments would be appreciated. I have seen better 3D at home!

That is just weird! The Cinemark XD auditorium is supposed to have an enormous screen, plush seats and Cinemark's custom sound system with speakers that produce crisp, clear digital sound. They use RealD 3D and are supposed to use a silver screen and brighter projector. Here in San Francisco the 3D films I have seen on the XD screen have been excellent. The brightest 3D image outside of your home theater and our screen has the new Dolby Atmos sound system that was VERY impressive during "The Hobbitt."

Sounds like you should have asked for your money back. Color convergence problems sound like a projector issue not just a 3D issue. Some of these theaters get kids to run the projectors with little training. It's sad.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I don't watch that many movies in 3D at the theater, but the last ones I did (Prometheus and Hobbit) were outstanding on the XD setup.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 34
IMAX is the only theatrical format that uses two projectors for 3D, which could conceivably have an issue with the color tempterature of one lamp differing from the other. All other 3D formats use a single projector. Was it an IMAX screening you went to?

It was not IMAX. So there was something wrong with whatever they were shipped.

If I encounter something like this again I asks for me money back.

CW Hinkle
post #10 of 29 Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Please read what I emailed to Cineworldafter seeing The great and powerful oz in 3d last night.

Last night my partner and I visited Cineworld at Parkhead in Glasgow to see The great and powerful oz in 3d. Being a huge 3D fan with my own 3d projector and Bluray system at home I was looking forwards to what has been classed as the best 3d movie since Hugo. I was greatly dissapointed as the crosstalk in cinema 2 spoiled the whole film. The screen was filthy with huge vertical streaks running through it. Never have I had such a poor viewing experiance. Do these screens ever get checked? I noted it was projected through the projection window possibly altering polarization. Several people commented "The 3d was rubbish" after the film. I have never had a problem at Vue in Hamilton or the Showcase in Coatbridge. No wonder 3d takings are down. My partner also said it spoiled the whole film. I can guarantee at least half who attended last night would be very dissapointed even if they're not as critical as me. I'll stick to Vue in the future. I will forward this to Walt Disney and the Avforums to see if it is a common occurrence.

If they get away with shoddy presentations like this we can say goodbye to 3d in the future!!!!
post #11 of 29 Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman512 View Post

Please read what I emailed to Cineworldafter seeing The great and powerful oz in 3d last night.

Were you viewing through a few pints of eighty bob glasses? smile.gif

post #12 of 29 Old 03-22-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferl View Post

Were you viewing through a few pints of eighty bob glasses? smile.gif

Nope a brand new pair of eighty pence 3d specs lol!

I phoned the head office at Cineworld who said there was no other complaints and the playback was checked but they are sending me two complemertery tickets. Has anyone else suffered rubbish playback in cinemas? It was like watching a ghosting tv picture.
post #13 of 29 Old 03-26-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If they get away with shoddy presentations like this we can say goodbye to 3d in the future!!!!

You were right to complain and you're right that a bad experience can make a 3D hater out of an audience member. It's to bad there are so many theater owners who don't do constant quality control of their projected images.

There should not be a lot of crosstalk in the image. Sometimes it amazes me how much better a 3D film can look on your home set-up than it did at the cinema. Just watched "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" on my Sharp Aquos last night (moves along much better than that other Lincoln movie) and was amazed how much brighter and the amount of depth that was there as compared to when I paid to see it. Yes, bad 3D projection could kill 3D's future for us all.
guitarman512 likes this.
post #14 of 29 Old 03-29-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Nope a brand new pair of eighty pence 3d specs lol!

Has anyone else suffered rubbish playback in cinemas?
+

I walked out on Jaws 3d 30 years ago. It looked like the polarizer filter was out of position on one lens because there was a bright area
in the corner of the left eye image. When I complained to the manager he said that's the way it is.
td
post #15 of 29 Old 03-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
In the '80s, Hitchcock's "Dial M for Murder" was redistributed in the short-lived over/under single strip film print tech. Horrible! I walked out and got a refund after the first reel. Finally saw it presented properly at the second World 3D Festival in L.A. a few years ago.

Oz looked great in the presentation I saw.
post #16 of 29 Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

It pains me that this well done 3D movie is being so mishandled by Disney on bluray. First they issuing of it as a single 3D disc package release. (Good idea) No extras in package. (Bad idea) Priced as if you are getting the usual DVD, Bluray, 3D bluray bundle. (Very Bad idea) It seems to always be about screwing the 3D fan! Maybe they are trying to show poor 3D sales of this title as an excuse to drop further 3D releases.

Anyway, yesterday on release day, out here in northern California, they did not have the 3D version for sale at Best Buy or Target. I finally found it at Costco. You can't expect 3D to gain new converts when there is a total lack of promotion. When the TV manufactures were heavily promoting 3D there was not much in the way of exciting content. Now there is a lot of great content and 3D technology is getting better but now there is no promotion. At Best Buy the 3D titles are now mixed in with the standard bluray offerings. Thank you marketing geniuses.
post #17 of 29 Old 06-12-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I was actually going to buy this yesterday, but the local BB didn't have it. At this point, I'm practically willing to just tell Disney to f-off until they can release it in a proper combo pack. You know.. like every other 3D movie I own.

post #18 of 29 Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

I watched Oz on my new 84" 4K LG and it was outstanding. The 3D was great and even had pop-out. The colors were brilliant.I have not seen Oz in the theater so I cannot comment on that. However Jurasic Park looked much better at home than the theater.
post #19 of 29 Old 06-13-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Picked it up at Best Buy today; had a hell of a time finding it. Neither Target nor the first BB had any copies in stock and as far as I can tell they either never got any or only got a handful at most; the second had only received 3 and they had been never put on the shelves. Disney really botched the 3D film's availability by separating the 2D and 3D versions. I also don't care for the fact that the digital copy is apparently iTunes only as I'm an android guy and would prefer Vudu support as that supports far more devices.

As for the movie itself, I found it quite entertaining (and I don't consider myself a fan of the original Wizard of Oz) with very good 3D. Turning Theodora (and who she becomes) into a tragic character was an interesting twist. I would have preferred a full-screen presentation but the letterboxed picture still ended up working better than most 3D films I've bought at that same aspect ratio.
post #20 of 29 Old 06-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The local BJs wholesale club store had a bunch of the 3D editions in stock. If someone has a BJs near by you can see if they have them in stock. I don't understand why they are no including 2D with the 3D copy, pretty stupid on their part.
post #21 of 29 Old 06-15-2013, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm personally hoping the sales numbers teach them the folly of their ways. Especially as I'm one of those folks that actually makes use of the normal combo sets. I have a 3D TV, but I may go over to a friend's house that doesn't have 3D, or over to another friend's house that doesn't even have Blu-ray yet (and yes, those are all true), so I actually wind up getting play out of 3D, 2D, and even the DVDs that come in normal sets.

post #22 of 29 Old 06-17-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

I'm personally hoping the sales numbers teach them the folly of their ways.

I'm afraid the decreased sales numbers will be used as an excuse to end the "Disney 3D" line of bluray discs. Disney owns ESPN and last week announced that they are ending the ESPN 3D sports channel. They are not releasing The Little Mermaid 3D conversion to theaters, but it is being released on video. I believe that the botched release of OZ was done on purpose to show low sales numbers to support a corporate decision to get out of 3D. Or this really is the beginning of the end of bluray 3D releases from Disney. If a product doesn't make mega bucks our corporate masters are not happy and they usually don't support niche markets. Time will tell.
post #23 of 29 Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
There are other problems with 3D like the how far the left and right eyes are separated for depth--causing eyestrain, Real 3D polarization, vs. Imax linear polarization (yeah, lots of disappointed people who bring there own glasses to watch the wrong 3D polarization, then complain, complain, complain), also less than 100% screen polarization causing crosstalk. Add misaligned images, way too loud audio, especially for children, and you've got a fad that is about to end.
post #24 of 29 Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
I loved the movie and loved the 3D. I think 3D home would be more popular if every experience was as good what I experience in my own theater with it.
post #25 of 29 Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Little Mermaid was cancelled because the theatrical takes on the re-releases has kept declining, not because the blu-ray releases weren't profitable.

Oz was about putting less in the package to see if they could sell it for the same price. Its no different from taking 5 M&M's out of every bag, or how Budweiser came up with a new can that is shaped to look like their bow-tie logo that not-so-incidentally has 1oz less beer in it.

As for difficultly finding it, I noticed that at Wal Mart they did have the 3D, but only on the special rack where all the 3D movies are. On the new release rack up by the front door they had lots of blu ray and dvds, but no combo packs. The main new release rack in the video department was the only one that also had the blu+dvd+digital combo pack. Perhaps stores are having trouble deciding how to display a movie when there are 4 variants?
post #26 of 29 Old 06-17-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatscifiguy View Post

As for difficultly finding it, I noticed that at Wal Mart they did have the 3D, but only on the special rack where all the 3D movies are. On the new release rack up by the front door they had lots of blu ray and dvds, but no combo packs. The main new release rack in the video department was the only one that also had the blu+dvd+digital combo pack. Perhaps stores are having trouble deciding how to display a movie when there are 4 variants?

At my local Walmart they have rearranged the video section and got rid of the 3D bluray section. Now they are mixed in or not there at all. Best Buy recently did the same thing although I've noticed some stores have retained a small 3D end rack. The others just mix the 3D blurays in with the rest.
post #27 of 29 Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I don't get why Disney is trying to sabotage this release. The packaging is so confusing, it's ridiculous. May be 3d does not make them enough money so they are trying to kill it. As for the movie itself, spectacular. If they wanted to get John Public excited about 3d, they would demo this on a large screen with a high quality 7.1 system. As far as all around 3d, pq and aq this is the champ. Avatar is a close second.

post #28 of 29 Old 06-19-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I don't get why Disney is trying to sabotage this release. The packaging is so confusing, it's ridiculous. May be 3d does not make them enough money so they are trying to kill it.

That certainly was my feeling. Also considering this week they announced the end of their ESPN 3D TV channel I think the suits at Disney have decided to ditch 3D as it is not making the huge profit they expect from everything. At corporations it all adout the next quarter not future profits or customer satisfaction. If they do cut back on 3D releases they will have created bad will as far as I'm concerned.

Here is an interesting article on ESPN 3D:
http://3dguy.tv/3ds-death-is-greatly-exaggerated/

The studios and TV manufactures continue to botch the promotion of 3D TV and now they have moved on to 4K HDTV, which I can not get excited about. As the 3D films get better we see less marketing of the product. They were all gung-ho when there was nothing to watch and Avatar was a Panasonic exclusive. Now that we have great viewing like OZ we get a total lack of marketing. I feel we are going to soon see a report that OZ in 3D sold so poorly that they can not continue to support the format.
post #29 of 29 Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Watched this last night. The 3D was well done and image was very clear on my 159" High Power screen using a HD3300 Optoma projector. Depth, color and sound were all good. The acting--ugh.. The connection with the original OZ--not well made although based on the dates it's a prequel. Would have been better based on pop outs (ie. the spears) if it were in 16:9 rather than 2.35:1. I did not see this at a theater, and only reason I rented it was because it was in 3D (and made in Pontiac, Michigan at an converted GM Truck & Bus Operations building about 10 miles from my house).
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page