3DTV gaming on PC....the good, the bad, the ugly. - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 63 Old 11-20-2013, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I own a 3DTV and a 3D projector mostly for playing games in stereoscopic 3D. I can't play games in 2D anymore - they look to flat - bland - blah.....

There are currently two marketed options: Nvidia's 3DPlay or Tridef's 3D driver. Ether option will set you back ~$40. Both options depend (somewhat) on 'profiles' being made for any given game. Both options have somewhat 'automatic' modes that sometimes work better than the other.  Some titles may get supported on one and not the other. There are currently dozens (if not 100's) of games available on ether S3D solution.

It must be said that playing in S3D is not "free" as there's a performance cost - how much depends on your gaming rig and which S3D driver solution your using. Many dedicated S3D gamers have very powerful gaming rigs to keep the S3D frame rates as high as possible.

With well adjusted convergence+depth even 720P needs very little AA in S3D. The added depth (+some pop out) naturally draw you away from whatever 'jaggyness' that may be visible in 2D at the same resolution.

Tombraider2013 in S3D on a 100" screen with 5.1 sound - something that needs to be seen and experienced!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 63 Old 03-10-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Give it a try. :)

I couldn't output 3D vision over HDMI without paying for the 3DTV play software.

I've got a quick ass system (8-Core Xenon, 12 TBs of HDD, 64 GBs of RAM, 3D Vision 2 Monitor and GTX 690 (x2) SLI) and when I tried to get it to work with my active 3D TV... Nada. Before you say it...I'm not a newby here, I've been working with computers since they were powered by cranking (1964 - U of Waterloo) and writing code for most of that time.

Here's the thing... when I pay over $2000 to NVidia for video cards (not to mention what BenQ pays them for my 3D Vision 2 monitor and kit), I'd like them to come with EVERYTHING enabled. Now you can say that if I can afford a system like this why don't I just fork over the $40 bucks for 3DTV Play. Well I'll tell you...

I've been happily married for 35 years to a lovely woman and one of the ways I stay that way is by discussing every household purchase with her beforehand and TV related stuff is considered "household" (unlike my computer equipment which is considered "work"). Now my lovely wife has been blind in one eye for the last 20 years and although 3D came included with our TV the extra expense of $40 doesn't meet the criteria of "household" expenses when it only serves one of us any good.

Now I understand that NVidia wants to maximize profits (don't we all), but cut a fella a break why don't you.

As for now... I will return to my hole (computer room) and don my 3D Vision glasses and my headphones, take a stroll thru Skyrim and take out my frustrations on a Frost Troll or twelve.

Barsoom44

post #63 of 63 Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
I agree 100%. I was outraged at the additional expense too. Maybe if nvidia actually made the effort to fix broken games, I could see the justification....but they don't.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page