Jurassic Park 3D - Is this a last stand for 2D-3D conversion of movie classics? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 91 Old 04-03-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm looking forward to seeing Jurassic Park 3D this weekend and considering all the money Universal has expended on publicity, I get the impression that this 3D "movie event" is being used as a test by the studio as to the financial future of 3D conversions of older films. You can bet the eyes of the other studios will be on this as well and based on the weekend box office take we will be seeing more and better conversions or another nail in the coffin of this round of the 3D comeback.

I think this will be an excellent conversion, considering it has the blessing of Steven Speilberg, and is the type of film that will benefit from the added dimension. Even Steven thinks so:
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/movies/2013/04/03/2049985/

If this re-release tanks this weekend I believe we can kiss further excellent conversions goodbye. I for one have enjoyed many of the 2D-3D conversions out there and they are getting better all the time so I would like to keep them coming. Interest is 3D seems to be cooling due to many factors so this is a critical moment.

So if you are a 3D fan I suggest you get to a showing of Jurassic Park 3D this weekend. If you wait for the blu-ray that doesn't count as a cut-rate bluray only conversion, i.e. I, Robot, although enjoyable, can not compete with a full careful hollywood stlye conversion. Lets all go to the movies!! The 3D movies!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This is the only good 3D HD trailer I could find--Russian though. Click on the 3D option and select full color anaglyph and put on your red/bue glasses. It also support 1080p full screen. Really quite good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TNWcrMXui0

Here's another, with different action, but seemed harder on the eyes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lOZ4L3s_hM
post #3 of 91 Old 04-03-2013, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doesn't this movie also release on blu ray 3D this month? Just looked it up and yes, April 23....I think I'll wait to watch it in the comfort of my home smile.gif
post #4 of 91 Old 04-04-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Not sure Jurassic Park is a good movie to test this with. The special effects in this movie are very dated. And do not look very good compared to what can be done today. I will check out the 3D BD, but I won't be going to the theater to see it in 3D.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5 of 91 Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I've always found that the volume of a scene determines how warranted a 3D conversion is, moreso than the impressiveness of the visuals.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #6 of 91 Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

I've always found that the volume of a scene determines how warranted a 3D conversion is, moreso than the impressiveness of the visuals.

Wtf??

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #7 of 91 Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

Wtf??
Dimensionality of the compositions vs wow-factor of the special effects...

My Videos

post #8 of 91 Old 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM

Liked: 13
My review of JP3D:

The Good Things first: The 3D was wonderful! On a par with Titanic 3D!
Easily one of the best conversion jobs ever.
Didn't find any evidence of massive DNR, the picture looked clean with lots of detail.
The colours were rich and slightly warm, very film-like. But didn't look too much like a 90s movie to me, as it was so clean, and that's a good thing!
Sounded good too. An additional aspect of the soundtrack I will discuss below. There were quite a few pop out moments in addition to a very realistic depth perspective.
It was pure Nostalgia for me.

Now the things that bothered me:
1.The aspect ratio has been tampered with once again. The image has been zoom-boxed, cutting on all four sides, quite a lot. As a result Dinos heads get cut off slightly, eyes at the top edge of the screen get chopped off. The cropping was distracting(the ratio was still 1.85:1). The Imax 3D trailer was framed at 1.85:1, and there were even comparisons made with the Bluray(which was cropped), the 3D version was even more cropped than the Bluray. The framing of the IMAX3D trailer is exactly how it looked in the Laserdisc and VHS as well, but the cinema version has been cropped further than the 1.85:1 trailer cut. It makes me worry about the Bluray 3D.

2. The VFX models didn't lend themselves well to 3D. The lack of detail was clearly apparent and in contrast with the rest of the surroundings, which were 35mm footages.

Surprising things that I noticed: Lot more detail, individual objects, even the minutest ones are now clearly noticeable.
I also noticed the Pace of the film, it was like a roadrunner, one thing after another, barely ever slowing down.
I mean I've seen the movie countless times and know every single frame by heart, but never has its pace felt so relentless, my goodness( and no there was no speedup issues).
New additions:
There were definitely quite a few additions very clearly noticeable-
1. When the thunder strikes and the lawyer crouches, asking the doctors to head back to their cars, they have added a lightning flash visually, which was never there. And It makes the impact of the scene much better!
There are minor additional sounds added to the soundtrack(not the music track), extra velociraptor sounds when the deadly duo enter the kitchen, one of which clearly had a high-pitched cat sound.

2. The animatronic shots were the most impressive in 3D. However the final shot, when the T-Rex rears up to its full height in the Visitors center lobby and roars, knocked the earlier poor vfx 3D shots' balls out of the park. That last shot when the Rex Roars and the Banners fall was ABSOLUTELY EPIC, as it was in 2D when it originally came out. It had GREAT depth with the Tail swinging out of the screen+ it was highly detailed. I don't know how they could get the last CG shot with the T-Rex to look so detailed, imagined it to be lackluster like the other CG shots, the colour scheme of the Rex also looked slightly different, more colourful that is.
I'm catching it again on Sunday!
These didn't at all damage the experience for me, though the cat sound was a bit annoying and unrealistic(Well Gary Rydstrom succumbed to a little temptation it seems).
NSX1992 likes this.
post #9 of 91 Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Liked: 47
This is a cinema visit "must see" in my opinion although its going to be a long wait here in the UK.
I would be surprised if it is anything but a runaway success though. Jurassic park on the big screen in 3D! Yes Please.
post #10 of 91 Old 04-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcdesign View Post

This is a cinema visit "must see" in my opinion although its going to be a long wait here in the UK.
I would be surprised if it is anything but a runaway success though. Jurassic park on the big screen in 3D! Yes Please.
Why is it releasing late in the Uk? Is it because it had a limited re-release in 2011?
post #11 of 91 Old 04-05-2013, 03:29 PM

Liked: 10
I just got back from seeing it in IMAX3D. I really enjoyed it. I would have liked to see some more depth in it though. I'm used to playing pc games in 3D and love playing the game with lots of depth. A 3D movie with good depth gets me. I can't really comment on how this movie compared to IMAX vs Normal movie screen since I"ve only saw it Via IMAX. The 3D REALLY added to this movie in my opinion. All of us enjoyed it and if they are releasing the 2 in 3D IMAX then we'll deff go see those.
Now that they have officially nailed down a release date for Jurassic Park 4, I really look forward to seeing part 4 in 3D knowing it's potential. They could put like a t-Rex face or claw coming out of the screen at me. THAT would look really cool. Seeing a Jurassic Park movie made for 3D, from start to finish, would probably be something lots of us have waited for.
post #12 of 91 Old 04-05-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

I'm looking forward to seeing Jurassic Park 3D this weekend and considering all the money Universal has expended on publicity, I get the impression that this 3D "movie event" is being used as a test by the studio as to the financial future of 3D conversions of older films. You can bet the eyes of the other studios will be on this as well and based on the weekend box office take we will be seeing more and better conversions or another nail in the coffin of this round of the 3D comeback.

I think this will be an excellent conversion, considering it has the blessing of Steven Speilberg, and is the type of film that will benefit from the added dimension. Even Steven thinks so:
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/life/movies/2013/04/03/2049985/

If this re-release tanks this weekend I believe we can kiss further excellent conversions goodbye. I for one have enjoyed many of the 2D-3D conversions out there and they are getting better all the time so I would like to keep them coming. Interest is 3D seems to be cooling due to many factors so this is a critical moment.

So if you are a 3D fan I suggest you get to a showing of Jurassic Park 3D this weekend. If you wait for the blu-ray that doesn't count as a cut-rate bluray only conversion, i.e. I, Robot, although enjoyable, can not compete with a full careful hollywood stlye conversion. Lets all go to the movies!! The 3D movies!!!!!

Spielberg's comments go directly to the heart of why 3D lovers are so passionate about the technology. When done well (even in a well done conversion), 3D pulls me in as 2D never does. I'm really looking forward to the Blu-ray 3D release. Purists may scoff at conversion, but even with the low quality YouTube preview I feel drawn in far more than I did with the original 2D version of the film. And I've seen that countless times. smile.gif

Joe Clark

post #13 of 91 Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Predictions for the first weekend range from $14M to $21M. I think $20M is relatively good for a 3D re-release.

My Videos

post #14 of 91 Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
I don't think I'll bother with the theatrical edition unless I can talk my friends into it, but it's a day one BD purchase for sure.

As for going back and converting older films.. I think it really depends on the film. Personally, I'm only interested in them doing films where the 3D would really add a whole new layer (figuratively speaking) to an already amazing film, and JP certainly fits the bill. This is one that will really benefit from it.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #15 of 91 Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Seems like everyone who has seen the film so far has enjoyed the conversion. I thought these were good reviews:
http://gizmodo.com/5993849/jurassic-park-3d-review-an-improvement-on-perfection
http://screenrant.com/jurassic-park-3d-reviews-imax/

post #16 of 91 Old 04-06-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I thought the conversion was very well done. I saw it at our local theater on a regular DLP display with Real 3D. I thought the movie seemed a little dark, most likely the projector, but the 3D conversion was done very well. There was a lot of depth. I don't know if the theater decides how much depth to show or if there's a standard for the theaters to use, but certain scenes seemed like the depth was too much. The scene that comes to mind is when Dennis is given the shaving cream can at the restaurant, he looked too big to seem realistic. I know Wayne Knight is a big guy, but I felt the 3D made him seem a lot larger than I think he would be in real life. I look forward to owning this in 3 weeks. I would say the conversion was just as good as iRobot or Top Gun. I don't know if it will appear different at home with active 3D vs the theater's passive. Some of the CGI didn't seem very noticeable and I think part of that is because of the glasses. I also look forward to seeing the difference between the 2D master vs the 3D master in 2D.
post #17 of 91 Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe Wayne Knight looked big because he's on a gigantic movie screen..

My Videos

post #18 of 91 Old 04-07-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Really looking forward to the 3D Bluray.cool.gif

Ed
post #19 of 91 Old 04-07-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I got to see this with my brother today on a Real-D screen and we both enjoyed the 3D presentation a lot; a very nice sense of depth throughout that really added to the movie's ambiance. Not much in the way of popouts but a shot late in the film of a raptor lunging head-first toward the screen elicited a lot of squeals of approval and even made me jump a bit in my seat. This movie really shows that a proper post-conversion on an appropriate film, can really enhance the experience.

The 3D previews of Monsters University, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2, Despicable Me 2 and Man of Steel on the other hand all left me cold. I've really grown tired of all the childish CG presentations (and Pixar's Monster's U continues its trend of very weak 3D) and Man of Steel, from the teaser at least, looked like a poor post-conversion.

Now if we could only get a grade-A 3D post conversion of Blade Runner....
post #20 of 91 Old 04-07-2013, 06:53 PM

Liked: 12
We saw it today at our best local theater for $17 each. I thought the 3D was excellent but the resolution was like a DVD. Maybe I am spoiled with my 84" LG 4K tv so I expecte more clarity. The people next to us were eating popcorn and the smell was not pleasant. I look forward to the bluray edition.
post #21 of 91 Old 04-08-2013, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I thought the conversion was very well done. I saw it at our local theater on a regular DLP display with Real 3D. I thought the movie seemed a little dark, most likely the projector, but the 3D conversion was done very well. There was a lot of depth. I don't know if the theater decides how much depth to show or if there's a standard for the theaters to use, but certain scenes seemed like the depth was too much. The scene that comes to mind is when Dennis is given the shaving cream can at the restaurant, he looked too big to seem realistic. I know Wayne Knight is a big guy, but I felt the 3D made him seem a lot larger than I think he would be in real life. I look forward to owning this in 3 weeks. I would say the conversion was just as good as iRobot or Top Gun. I don't know if it will appear different at home with active 3D vs the theater's passive. Some of the CGI didn't seem very noticeable and I think part of that is because of the glasses. I also look forward to seeing the difference between the 2D master vs the 3D master in 2D.

I cashed in my 401K and took my family of 4 to the IMAX 3D showing (OK, I jest, but it WAS expensive). I concur with everything you said above except I think it was better than iRobot and on par with Top Gun. I did this in spite of the fact that I will definitely buy the BD as I hoped this would send a message to the studios to keep bringing these kinds of titles out. At our house, we would love to see a bunch of our favorites (heavy on SE) in 3D.

Bring on Aliens, T2 and ID4

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #22 of 91 Old 04-08-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Maybe Wayne Knight looked big because he's on a gigantic movie screen..

Actually, Wayne Knight has been over the board with his size through the years. Right now in the sitcom "the Exes" he is heavy but not like he was in the early 90's. In one movie (I think it was Cheaper by the Dozen), he was down to probably 180 and was so thin that (I read somewhere) he had trouble getting work since he is basically a character actor.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #23 of 91 Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papai2011 View Post

Why is it releasing late in the Uk? Is it because it had a limited re-release in 2011?

No idea but the last time I looked it was an August release frown.gif
post #24 of 91 Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM

Liked: 11
Saw this in Real 3D yesterday and thought this generally looked as good or better than native, non-animated 3D movies. Very enjoyable.
post #25 of 91 Old 04-09-2013, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post

Saw this in Real 3D yesterday and thought this generally looked as good or better than native, non-animated 3D movies. Very enjoyable.
I very much agree!
post #26 of 91 Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Finally saw it last night and really enjoyed it! The movie sure holds up well as an action packed popcorn flick. I thought this was the best conversion yet. It even supassed Titanic in quality. It helped that Spielburg really did use alot of foreground objects in so many shots. Also I was amazed at how detailed the jungle vegetation looked. The 3D really did enhance this movie a lot. Can't wait to enjoy it at home when the Blu-ray 3D comes out later this month. Great job StereoD!!
post #27 of 91 Old 04-09-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This is encouraging - I was a little worried about this one but if people are saying it surpasses the Titanic conversion, that's impressive. I think Titanic 3d looks better than most natively shot 3d titles.
post #28 of 91 Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got back from the IMAX show. It was a little soft and the colors were muted, but the 3D was pretty exciting. Some really good shots.

A neat thing I noticed: if you look in the tour jeep that Lex and Tim are in, there are stereo cameras on the dash in front of the steering wheel, I guess for the computerized driving.

My Videos

post #29 of 91 Old 04-10-2013, 05:04 AM

Openning week-end Box Office receipts were a disappointment... (for the studio I'm sure a huge disappointment). I wonder how Blu-ray sales will be. The talk of the quality of the conversion has me reconsider adding this to my collection... if the price is right, I'll make that purchase I also wonder how many of the 3D fans are not going to see the theatrical presentation when 1 or 2 tickets purchased would pay for the Blu-ray?
post #30 of 91 Old 04-10-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

This is encouraging - I was a little worried about this one but if people are saying it surpasses the Titanic conversion, that's impressive. I think Titanic 3d looks better than most natively shot 3d titles.
Titanic WAS the best 3D movie yet, amongst all native/post-converted movies. Jurassic Park has surpassed it! It IS the BEST 3D MOVIE right now!
But see it in a Good and reliable theater. A bad projection with cropping or the brightness not calibrated properly, acn ruin the experience and create a false impression that the 3D conversion is bad, which it is not!
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page