Losing pop out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-15-2013, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I was watching a vew videos recently and noticed that I wasn't detecting much popout. I am not a huge fan of popout so it didn't bother me much but it did seem odd... I loaded up good old potatoe cod and noticed he didn't seem to popout all that much...

It seems my eyes are doing something funny now where nothing really seems to extend out of the screen anymore on it's own. If someone stands next to the tv or there is something on the shelf just under and in front of the TV I will sometimes register a depth difference but for the most part it just makes my eyes feel "weird" (not hurt or bad, just an odd muscle feeling) and my brain forces everything to be about screen distance or further.

So in a scene where something comes at you in the middle of the screen rather than coming out of the screen, it's like it stays at screen depth and other stuff behind it still has a depth queue that it's behind this object (and further and further behind) but but somehow also doens't get deeper.

It's odd to say but it's like my brain is regisering the depth queues but not accepting the popout - forcing a perception of an impossible situation where the popout object is at screen depth, the midground (which was originally at screen depth) is also at screen depth but is behind the popout object - I know it sounds impossible but tha'ts how I am perceiving it.

I find this very odd and kind of dissapointing (if potato cod doesn't stick out, nothing will).

Has this happened to anyone else?

The odd part is that when there is a fly through (ie camera flies through a narrow space between trees or awindow or something) I still get that feeling of something going past my head (almost a flex of the eye muscles if you will) but it really doesn't look like it's coming at me all that much or anything.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have been watching 3D a lot since the first 3D Blu-rays came out. My eyes can adjust even to extreme 3D and I still have no problems seeing popouts. I love 3D.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Were you sitting closer than before perhaps? Pop out flattens as you move closer to the TV.

Anything else about your viewing conditions that have changed? I think to perceive pop out as pop out you need to have a good sense of the boundaries of the TV and the room it occupies. I think a darkened room would also reduce your sense of pop out (because the room and the TV screen kind of disappear).
post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I watch from a range of distances but I noticed during a rcent 3D movie in the theater a similar effect where obvious popout scenes were not very pop outy and everything appeared not much closer than the screen depth... it's like my eyes know and tell my brain and my brain overides what I see and says "nuh uh... it's really x feet away - no shenanigans".

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page