How can you tell what format of 3D is used for any particular movie? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 05-01-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm wanting to buy some 3D movies for my new projector (W7000) and I don't want anaglyph movies. I own some of each, and cannot tell from the info which method is used, even though I've got them in hand to look at. Journey to the Center of the Earth is anaglyph, so while that 'will' work with my projector, it's passive, not active, and I'm not interested in that. Avatar, The Green Lanterern, et al, are capable of "Side by Side" and work with my projector. But how do I know before buying, which format is used?

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 47
All Blu-rays use the same 3D format, so I'm not sure what you're asking. There's no such thing as "side by side" or any of that, you just send it the 3D signal from your 3D Blu-ray player, and the 3D projector will do its thing.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-01-2013, 09:48 PM

Liked: 16
You want titles with the "Blu-ray 3D" logo. Those are frame-packed full HD 3D.
post #4 of 17 Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

All Blu-rays use the same 3D format, so I'm not sure what you're asking. There's no such thing as "side by side" or any of that, you just send it the 3D signal from your 3D Blu-ray player, and the 3D projector will do its thing.
No, they do not. Journey to the Center of the Earth uses anaglyph 3D. You need red/green (or cyan) filter glasses to watch that. It is in fact, send with 4 pairs in the disc box. Images are color tinted to work with each eyeglass lens to produce 3D. Avatar uses a system which outputs two different images, each with full color, and relies on active glasses to synchronize the images to the proper eye. VASTLY better 3D. No contest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

You want titles with the "Blu-ray 3D" logo. Those are frame-packed full HD 3D.
Thanks, I'll look for that tonight when I get home. Just to be sure it's consistent for all titles. I'm going from memory, but I'm thinking JttCotE has that on the case as well. I bought 7 titles last night. I guess if they don't work it's off to ebay they go!
post #5 of 17 Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post

No, they do not. Journey to the Center of the Earth uses anaglyph 3D. You need red/green (or cyan) filter glasses to watch that. It is in fact, send with 4 pairs in the disc box. Images are color tinted to work with each eyeglass lens to produce 3D.

JOURNEY's original video release was anaglyph...but current ones are not and utilize the same or similar process as any other 3D BD release. (No cardboard glasses included or needed.). My copy has a lenticular 3D slipcover

post #6 of 17 Old 05-02-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

JOURNEY's original video release was anaglyph...but current ones are not and utilize the same or similar process as any other 3D BD release. (No cardboard glasses included or needed.). My copy has a lenticular 3D slipcover
Mine had a lenticular case as well, (well, the one I'm borrowing from my brother for this). My 3D collection is up to 9 now, as soon as they get here. I guess I'll find out then which are the newer type and which if any are older.

That's great to know, that new released copies are the newer tech, but then that creates another issue. Buying used on Ebay is a crap-shoot, and figuring out which are new copies and which are old stock from retail vendors might be up to the buyer when the thing arrives. At least for old catalog titles. Thankfully, there's not many I'd want. But, things like the Toy Story set I'd like to have, but I'm scared to buy them because I don't know what type of 3D they are.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Spaz View Post

That's great to know, that new released copies are the newer tech, but then that creates another issue. Buying used on Ebay is a crap-shoot, and figuring out which are new copies and which are old stock from retail vendors might be up to the buyer when the thing arrives. At least for old catalog titles. Thankfully, there's not many I'd want. But, things like the Toy Story set I'd like to have, but I'm scared to buy them because I don't know what type of 3D they are.

This is the logo to look for:

For example:

This may be displayed on the front cover, or may only appear on the back.

The Toy story movies are only available in 2D or real Blu-ray 3D. They were not released in anaglyph.

90% of the "used" discs found on eBay are bootlegs in fraudulent packaging, so there's no telling what you'll actually get.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #8 of 17 Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Josh, that's a big help.

Unfortunately, that logo doesn't appear always on the front of the case. Avatar and The Green Lantern do have that logo, but only a small one on the spine of the case, not the cover or back. Since a shot showing the spine is rarely shown online, it'll still be a crap shoot. To some extent anyway. I noticed that on the front cover of my Green Lantern case, that's got the same BluRay Disc logo that JTTCOTE has, but on the spines they differ.

Always gotta be somethin! rolleyes.gif
post #9 of 17 Old 05-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
The vast majority of 3-D Blu-ray discs on the market are frame packed Blu-ray 3D format, and will work with both active and passive 3D displays. In the US market, there were really only a handful of anaglyph discs released, such as "My Bloody Valentine", "The Polar Express" "The Final Destination", "Journey to the Center of the Earth", "Coraline", "Scar", "Friday the 13th Part 3" and "Sea Monsters". All but the last three have long since been replaced by superior blu-ray 3D versions.

In short, you really don't have to worry about anything not listed above. If you do want to pick one of the above titles up, just make sure you see the Blu-ray 3D logo. If the packaging references anaglyphic glasses being included, you'll know it's one of the older discs.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-04-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
When you're interested in a particular listing on ebay, ask the seller to clarify which format it is. There's little more you can do aside from knowing what the Blu-ray 3D logo looks like. And just use common sense- if it says "Free glasses included!" then it's probably not referring to passive glasses. And if they have a relatively low buy it now, it's probably cheap for a reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

90% of the "used" discs found on eBay are bootlegs in fraudulent packaging
67% of all statistics are made up.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #11 of 17 Old 05-04-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

That means 33% are true.

When it comes to Ebay, I find that the risk doesn't outweigh the cost. It's worth it to me to buy my discs from a known legitimate retailer and know that I'm getting the real deal, rather than trying to save a few bucks and running the risk of getting a bootleg. Defeats the purpose of buying discs in the first place instead of just bootlegging it yourself.

post #12 of 17 Old 05-04-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

That means 33% are true.

When it comes to Ebay, I find that the risk doesn't outweigh the cost. It's worth it to me to buy my discs from a known legitimate retailer and know that I'm getting the real deal, rather than trying to save a few bucks and running the risk of getting a bootleg. Defeats the purpose of buying discs in the first place instead of just bootlegging it yourself.
Sounds like an irrational fear. Sellers with good or even flawless feedback can be easily trusted. And if you have any doubts, just as them to clarify if it's anaglyph or true Blu-ray 3D. Remember that complainers are more outspoken than satisfied customers. So what you may have heard from others isn't necessarily typical.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #13 of 17 Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

*shrugs*

To each his own, I guess. smile.gif

post #14 of 17 Old 05-05-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, yes, to each his own. But I have to say, the savings for me certainly is worth the risk. I got on and bought 7 films last week, got 2 on amazon. So my 3D collection is up to 9. Those 7 used ones including shipping cost me $127.xx. I couldn't get anywhere near that price buying new. Hobbit 5 Disk set, Harry Potter 8 4 disc set, LIfe of PI set, Meet the Robinson's, Hotel Transylvania 3Disk set, Rise of the Guardians and WreckIt Ralph. So far, the ones that have arrived (3 of em) are all immaculate. If they are bootlegs, they're real nice ones with no punches pulled on the artwork and cases. I'm getting ready to enjoy my 3d Hobbit as I type, and so far, it looks amazing. Sad I'd already bought the 2D cause I got another copy in this set, but such is life. For this deal, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Just avoid sellers that sell a gazillion blu-rays, pick em up from people with feedback of 200 or so over the years. Now, you're dealing with an individual who just doesn't want the movie (says me!).

I bought two on Amazon also, but I just can't see $35/$40 for a movie in 3D. Somebody out there didn't like it and wants rid of it. And for $.40 on the dollar, I'll oblige.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

I'd say the odds of that being true are about 50/50. smile.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #16 of 17 Old 05-06-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I think you are confusing terms which will make things harder for you (and potentially make you the source of misinformation to others).

When referring to 3D material there are generally two types out there:

The kind that require anaglyph glasses (with two different colored lenses). These are just a regular video that has both eyes image on each frame but color corrected so that the glasses effectively seperate out that eyes information.

The kind that do not require anaglyph glasses. These type comes in several formats and generally relies on some kind of glasses to seperate out each eyes image. The formats for this type are:

Frame Packed which is a methodw where by you get alternating full resolution frames for each left and right eye.

Side by Side and Over Under which are formats that put both eyes images next to each other at full resolution (either left right or up down as per the names) which you dont' find very often as not a lot can play these.

Have Side by Side and Half Over Under which is just like the above but you get half resolution for each eye (so a HSBS image would have each frame be 1920x1080 but each eye would be given only 960x1080 resolution as both eyes have to fit in the same frame). These are common formats and play on most devices.

Then you may have checker board or frame sequential which are far less common but a similar idea.

These formats can be displayed in different ways, namely Active and Passive.

Active uses a fast refresh rate panel to alternatively show each eyes image and then glasses with shutters to block each eye as the other eyes image is shown.

Passive uses polarized glasses with a film passive retarder to make sure each eye only sees the lines of resoulution showing an image for that eye.

Technically I guess Anaglyph is a "passive" technology as there is nothing shuttering to show each eye it's image, but it's not generally referred to as that and when you say "passive" people will always think you are referring to polarized filter glasses and a Film Passive Retarder on the screen.

So I believe the correct terminology for your original post would be you prefer Frame Packed (but in general non color degrading) 3D to anaglyph 3D.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #17 of 17 Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

The vast majority of 3-D Blu-ray discs on the market are frame packed Blu-ray 3D format, and will work with both active and passive 3D displays. In the US market, there were really only a handful of anaglyph discs released, such as "My Bloody Valentine", "The Polar Express" "The Final Destination", "Journey to the Center of the Earth", "Coraline", "Scar", "Friday the 13th Part 3" and "Sea Monsters". All but the last three have long since been replaced by superior blu-ray 3D versions.

In short, you really don't have to worry about anything not listed above. If you do want to pick one of the above titles up, just make sure you see the Blu-ray 3D logo. If the packaging references anaglyphic glasses being included, you'll know it's one of the older discs.
Steve, I forgot to say thanks for the headsup on which movies to avoid. This will be easy since none of these are something I'd buy. Thanks for the list.

Devedander, you make a good point about the terminology. I did refer to anaglyph as passive which with todays tech and terminology, probably should not be referred as such. As you say, technically correct, but likely misleading. Point taken.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page