post #31 of 48 Old 09-09-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Shane Black made Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and wrote one of the most iconic action movies of the '80s. He gets a pass from me, even if this one turned out to be a dud.

He also wrote the screenplays to Last Boy Scout and Last Action Hero, 2 of the stupidest action movies of the 90s, not to mention a slew of utterly forgettable titles in the 90s and early 2000s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 10-06-2013, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here... I went from watching The Great Gatsby which was spot-on perfect in 3D to Iron Man 3 that suffered so badly from background ghosting I had to watch the 2nd hour on regular blu-ray.  I can't imagine this isn't something to do with the source.  I tried adjusting the depth and when I'd get the background right, the foreground was off.  <throws hands up>  This is the only movie to be this bad, and when the same projector (Epson 5020UB) plays beautifully on all my other 3D discs?I have to say I agree with the other posters that the 3D conversion on this release is simply off.

post #33 of 48 Old 10-06-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kontras View Post

I can't imagine this isn't something to do with the source.
Belief has nothing to do with it.. It's literally and physically impossible to be from the source. 3D simply doesn't work that way.

And there was no ghosting in the theater. = Not the source.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #34 of 48 Old 10-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

Belief has nothing to do with it.. It's literally and physically impossible to be from the source. 3D simply doesn't work that way.

And there was no ghosting in the theater. = Not the source.

I can confirm there is zero crosstalk on my projector with this film (dlp benq w7000) though there is with my plasma (LG px950). So it isn't source related, it is a display issue.
post #35 of 48 Old 10-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kontras View Post

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in here... I went from watching The Great Gatsby which was spot-on perfect in 3D to Iron Man 3 that suffered so badly from background ghosting I had to watch the 2nd hour on regular blu-ray.  I can't imagine this isn't something to do with the source.  I tried adjusting the depth and when I'd get the background right, the foreground was off.    This is the only movie to be this bad, and when the same projector (Epson 5020UB) plays beautifully on all my other 3D discs?I have to say I agree with the other posters that the 3D conversion on this release is simply off.

It is your projector.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #36 of 48 Old 10-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

It is your projector.

Yep, LCD as far as it comes still has issues with crosstalk and probably always will. The greater the contrast between parts of the screen the more ghosting you will see, there is nothing wrong with the 3d froma technical stand point. Though I will say it felt tacked on and unnecessary in this film (it didn't add in my eyes).
post #37 of 48 Old 10-08-2013, 02:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Yep, LCD as far as it comes still has issues with crosstalk and probably always will. The greater the contrast between parts of the screen the more ghosting you will see, there is nothing wrong with the 3d froma technical stand point. Though I will say it felt tacked on and unnecessary in this film (it didn't add in my eyes).

Not to mention depending on the technology, light on dark or dark on light ghosting may be more of a factor. For example, My 3d JVC projectors that I have owned (RS40 and RS45) suffer most from dark on light ghosting like a dark character set against a bright sky backdrop. IIRC, the Epsons suffer more from the opposite, light on dark ghosting like a moon set against a dark sky. Single chip DLP suffers from neither (or flicker).

post #38 of 48 Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine tends to show it most when it's light-on-dark. It's probably doing it on dark-on-light, too, but the light wins out and you can't see it.

I can imagine it being more of a problem on any kind of active display, since each individual pixel is having to switch very quickly between full light and full dark, which would definitely yield more ghosting. I have a passive display myself. I do have IM3, but I haven't sat down to watch it yet, probably in the next few days.

post #39 of 48 Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not to mention depending on the technology, light on dark or dark on light ghosting may be more of a factor. For example, My 3d JVC projectors that I have owned (RS40 and RS45) suffer most from dark on light ghosting like a dark character set against a bright sky backdrop. IIRC, the Epsons suffer more from the opposite, light on dark ghosting like a moon set against a dark sky. Single chip DLP suffers from neither (or flicker).

Single chips do have some very minor dark on light that I have seen. It is extremely rare though. If you would like I can give you some time stamps in films so you can see for yourself. With that being said it is blink and you shall miss it.

Quote:

Mine tends to show it most when it's light-on-dark. It's probably doing it on dark-on-light, too, but the light wins out and you can't see it.

I can imagine it being more of a problem on any kind of active display, since each individual pixel is having to switch very quickly between full light and full dark, which would definitely yield more ghosting. I have a passive display myself. I do have IM3, but I haven't sat down to watch it yet, probably in the next few days.

You are simply wrong, the display type with essentially no crosstalk are single chip dlp's, which all use active glasses. I do understand your rationale but it just isn't the case.
post #40 of 48 Old 10-09-2013, 04:22 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Single chips do have some very minor dark on light that I have seen. It is extremely rare though. If you would like I can give you some time stamps in films so you can see for yourself. With that being said it is blink and you shall miss it.
You are simply wrong, the displays type with essentially no crosstalk are single chip dlp's, which all use active glasses. I do understand your rationale but it just isn't the case.

Give me some time stamps as I have never seen or heard of ghosting on a single chip assuming the glasses are in sync. We can probably get Zombie to take some through the glasses shots as well which will show the ghosting if it's truly there which I don't believe it is in all due respect.

post #41 of 48 Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Give me some time stamps as I have never seen or heard of ghosting on a single chip assuming the glasses are in sync. We can probably get Zombie to take some through the glasses shots as well which will show the ghosting if it's truly there which I don't believe it is in all due respect.

I shall do, it will be a few days though as I just took down my Benq and put up an ae8000 which I am going to use for a little while (I'm in a very temporary setup atm). If you want proof of crosstalk existing on one chip dlp's though load up Tron Legacy in 3d and put on the dinner scene with English subtitles on. The text on top of the black bar at times is placed in front of the screen and visible ghosting is present.

As for some actual in film examples you will have to give me a few days to get the exact time stamps. One was in the Lion King near the start after Zazu flies in, the other I believe was in Monsters vs Aliens with one of the massive robot thingy's (not sure what they are called in the film) shows some slight cross talk against the sky. Ultimately it is moot though as it is so insignificant and one is so unlikely to ever notice its few examples of ghosting that it is more then fair to say it is cross talk free.

It will be interesting to see if others get no crosstalk in said scenes as I imagine it is possible that I could have faulty glasses or similar. confused.gif I would actually kind of like that to be the case cool.gif, but I don't think it is.
post #42 of 48 Old 10-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks FilmReverie. Sounds good. smile.gif

post #43 of 48 Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I watched the first few minutes of the movie via a free Vudu preview. I'd forgotten how annoying the music was and Downey's delivery is even snarkier than I remember - he really doesn't play Stark in this one, just Downey being Downey. Watching Favreau try to imitate Travolta from Pulp Fiction was just embarrassing. Two minutes in and I was already turned off. Shane Black should be banned from ever being involved in another motion picture. Definitely going to pass on this one.

Not likely about Shane Black. Iron Man 3 was the fifth highest grossing movie ever(worldwide). It pulled in over 1.2 Billion dollars.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #44 of 48 Old 10-10-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are simply wrong, the display type with essentially no crosstalk are single chip dlp's, which all use active glasses. I do understand your rationale but it just isn't the case.
You know damn well I was referring to LCD panels, and I was referring to the panels themselves, not the glasses. No need to be so uppity about it.

post #45 of 48 Old 10-11-2013, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You know damn well I was referring to LCD panels, and I was referring to the panels themselves, not the glasses. No need to be so uppity about it.

Actually no I didn't as this is what you wrote.
Quote:

I can imagine it being more of a problem on any kind of active display

Maybe you meant to say something else but that what you said is "on any kind of active display". All I did was correct you.
post #46 of 48 Old 10-12-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

And maybe I assumed some level of pre-existing knowledge of how active LCD panels work.

Anyway, I finally got around to watching this one tonight.

No ghosting.

Well, there was one shot that maybe I saw some ghosting on, but it could just as well have been some lens flares. And bearing in mind I know what I'm looking for (and I was looking for it), I'd say this film doesn't have a problem with it. Check your display.

post #47 of 48 Old 10-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And maybe I assumed some level of pre-existing knowledge of how active LCD panels work.

Anyway, I finally got around to watching this one tonight.

No ghosting.

Well, there was one shot that maybe I saw some ghosting on, but it could just as well have been some lens flares. And bearing in mind I know what I'm looking for (and I was looking for it), I'd say this film doesn't have a problem with it. Check your display.

We can go back and forth countless times, but what you said was incorrect and not everyone is going to have pre existing knowledge of how lcd panels work and thus people may read what you wrote and incorrectly assume that active shutter glasses are the issue, which of course is just not the case.
post #48 of 48 Old 10-12-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey look! I talked about ghosting. I think that was the discussion at hand, wasn't it?

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Iron Man 3 Three Disc 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page