World 3-D Film Expo III / Sept 2013 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-12-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is not 3-D Bluray related, but certainly IS 3-D content related.

Having personally attended the first two World 3-D Film Expos, I can attest to this being "must see 3-D"!

=============================================

World 3-D Film Expo III Returns
to Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood

May 6th, 2013 -- Hollywood, CA – The World 3-D Film Expo will return to the Egyptian Theatre
from September 6-15, 2013. The ten-day festival will pay tribute to the 60th anniversary of what many
film historians regard as the “Golden Age” of 3-D, and will include screenings of the John Wayne
western HONDO, the Vincent Price horror film HOUSE OF WAX, Cole Porter’s musical KISS ME
KATE, and sci-fi thriller IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE., and even later 3-D films, such as
1983’s JAWS 3-D. Lesser-known titles, such as THE FRENCH LINE with Jane Russell and film noir
SECOND CHANCE with Robert Mitchum, will also be included.

The Expo is partnering with digital 3-D projection sponsor RealD to present a number of
screenings in RealD 3-D including Alfred Hitchcock’s DIAL M FOR MURDER and Jack Arnold’s
sci-fi/horror classic CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON. Stefan Droessler, 3-D historian
and head of the Munich Film Museum, will present an in-depth overview of “European 3-D
Filmmaking 1935-1953,” including long-lost footage from the 1936 Berlin Olympics.
The festival will also be home to several premieres including the Los Angeles Premiere of the
1946 Russian 3-D adaptation of ROBINSON CRUSOE. September 14th will mark the World
Premiere of the stereoscopic version of the 1954 Korean War drama, DRAGONFLY SQUADRON.
The film was only released in a flat version during its initial release, and has never been seen by
audiences in 3-D. Newly-restored 35 mm prints of shorts “Rocky Marciano, Champion vs. Jersey Joe
Walcott, Challenger” and “College Capers” will be screened in 3-D for the first time in 60 years.
Most programs being presented at the festival will be shown in archival double-system 35 mm. prints,
many of them the last known copies.

The World 3-D Expo has been called “a Woodstock for movie geeks” by film critic Leonard
Maltin. Organized by Jeff Joseph of SabuCat Productions, the Expo was first presented at the
Egyptian Theatre to sold-out crowds in 2003 and again in 2006. “The technical demands of
presenting 3-D cinema and the increasing difficulty of finding prints means that for many of the films
presented, this may be the last time they are ever screened in this format” says producer and
programmer Jeff Joseph.

Tickets for the festival are available on the Expo website at:
www.3-dfilmexpo.com or by calling the Expo Box Office at (661) 724-0934. Individual tickets are
$18 per show; an Expo Pass for all 35 programs is available at $399 including priority seating. The
World 3-D Film Expo will be held at the Egyptian Theatre at: 6712 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood CA
90028. [Please note that the World 3-D Film Expo III is not a presentation of the American
Cinematheque which owns and operates the Egyptian Theatre.]

# # #

For more information about the Expo, please contact Jack Theakston (jack@3-dfilmexpo.com) or Dennis
Bartok (dennis@3-dfilmexpo.com). For more information about RealD, please contact Heather Dawe, Director
Marketing – RealD at phone: 310-385-4015 or e-mail: hdawe@reald.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 PM

Liked: 11
Went to the expo this weekend and saw lots of fantastic 3D.  Classic movies like Hondo beautifully restored, animation, rarities both digital and film. It runs through next weekend, if you can get to the LA area and like 3D you must go. This festival doesn't happen every year, some things you may never see again. Tickets now are not online but at the door only, however none of the shows I went to were sold out, you should get a good seat if you go early.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I wish I could have attended. You should post in the 3D forum over at Home Theater.comhttp://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/220-3d-blu-ray/ there is a bit more enthusiasm there for this topic. I'd also like to hear a more in depth review of some of the movies that you saw. For instance, I'm looking forward to seeing "House of Wax" on 3D BD this fall and would like to know what you thought of that and "It Came From Outer Space 3D." How was the 3D on both of those movies.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-24-2013, 01:09 AM

Liked: 11
Not good at reviews, but house of wax had good 3D, with some nice gratuitous popout like the infamous paddleball scene. I plan on buying it on blu-ray to see again.   The early 3D movies weren't as restrained as today's weak 3d (small d) movies.  Really liked Hondo, they did a beautiful digital restoration, unfortunately no plans to put on blu-ray.  John Wayne was such a mensch. Saw some old 3D cartoons, wasn't too impressed with Disney's Melody though.
Didn't see It came from outer space at the expo, but I saw it years ago in anaglyph, it has a great scene where a fire engine ladder pokes through the screen. Miss Sadie Thompson and even Bwana Devil were fun to see.
I really like the look of classic 50's 3D color films, they remind me of old warm kodachrome viewmaster reels.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page