The Great Gatsby - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2013, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We just saw this in 3D. It is a very powerful film with great acting and excelent 3D. New York in the 1920s, Gatsby mansion and all the historical cars looked great. How Gatsby amassed his fortune is one of the themes. My wife also enjoyed the romance of the story. Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Saw Gatsby last night and enjoyed it more than Ironman Three. It was great to see how a creative director, who actually put quite a bit of thought into the pre-production of his 3D camera work, uses depth to enhance his storytelling. Visually this picture is a knockout. To bad Moulin Rouge could not have been filmed in 3D. I highly reccomend seeing this one on the big screen. Great visuals and great performances.

On the negative side Box Office Mojo reports: "The only noticeable negative for Gatsby was the poor 3D performance—only 33 percent of the weekend gross came from 3D showings, which is an incredibly low figure for a live-action movie. While the fact that it was a 3D drama was part of the very early story, Warner Bros. basically abandoned it in the movie's main marketing effort."

It sucks that as the 3D films get better the less the studios support the releases. Here is a film concieved to be seen in 3D and less than 1/2 of the audience see it that way. Just as the TV manufactuers have given up on promoting 3D. Our corporate masters take a poor view on anything that doesn't make a huge profit in the short run. At the theater last night the person at the box office made a big deal out of the fact that this showing was in 3D and I could see it 2D at another showing in 30 mins. They get a lot of complaints from 3D haters. I fear they are winning.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yeah, a lot of people, surprisingly, still have preconceived notions about how 3D is only good for cheesy pop-outs and action movie explosions. I guess it's hard to market a 3D period drama with that mindset, even as visually stylish as Gatsby looks.

I am going to see it tomorrow in 3D. Can't wait. smile.gif
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
A visual masterpiece.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post

Yeah, a lot of people, surprisingly, still have preconceived notions about how 3D is only good for cheesy pop-outs and action movie explosions. I guess it's hard to market a 3D period drama with that mindset, even as visually stylish as Gatsby looks.

I am going to see it tomorrow in 3D. Can't wait. smile.gif

Yeah and a $4 surcharge for the 3D!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Yeah and a $4 surcharge for the 3D!

When done right, it's worth it. Just as it is when one pays a bit more for IMAX showings.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

At the theater last night the person at the box office made a big deal out of the fact that this showing was in 3D and I could see it 2D at another showing in 30 mins. They get a lot of complaints from 3D haters. I fear they are winning.
This is what happens when so many live action movies are converted so hastily. Since people can't be bothered to do research, they simply give up on all 3D.

The only solution is to stop shoehorning it into every comic book superhero movie. Hollywood needs to get the satisfaction ratio back up.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

When done right, it's worth it. Just as it is when one pays a bit more for IMAX showings.

I have one local theater that only charges $1 more. That is what it should be. However they use Dolby 3D and only needed to add a low cost piece of hardware to their projector and didn't need to switch to a silver screen. Looks good to me. So did most theaters not go this route because they got subsidized? If so, they are gouging. If not, why not? The low cost theater is a local independent.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Got to see Gatsby last night in RealD 3D. It was insanely gorgeous and worth every penny of a surcharge. Depth and roundness were perfect in almost every shot, with the biggest exception being the converted footage of 1920s clips, although those were an interesting novelty. Everything was beautifully composed for 3D opulence. There was a bit of quick-cutting to set the tone in a few scenes, but somehow, that worked okay too. I think he gave those shots very simple, but memorable compositions and held them just long enough for the viewer to see what's going on. Honestly, this is one of my new favorite 3D movies--up there with Hugo, Avatar, Life of Pi, and Prometheus. I was mesmerized for all 142 minutes.

For 3D trailers, I saw Gravity, World War Z, Epic, and the Despicable Me 2 light bulb short. The converted faces in Gravity didn't look ugly or draw my attention at all. I'm sure that the space suits and helmets were CGI. That movie is going to be one intense 3D experience. World War Z looks like a fun conversion if you're like me and have a soft spot for zombie apocalypses. Epic looks like a beautiful adventure. My only worry is that those moronic snails will ruin the fun and immersion with too many dumb jokes.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool smile.gif I saw the 3D trailer for Gatsby in theaters and it convinced me this would be worth seeing for the 3D alone. The compositions were really well populated and extravagant and even the dialog scenes were spectacular, without feeling out of place, because it fit the theme of the movie. Can't wait to see this but I don't really know when I'll get the chance!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone else notice jumping in some of the scenes, such as when the actors were moving in a scene? It looked like when using a high speed shutter. Jolts you out of the immersion when it happens. Haven't , that I can remember, seen it in previous 3D movies. I saw it in RealD 3D.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
About only 20 people in my local cinema hall watched The Great Gatsby. I guess most people prefer movies such as Fast & Furious.

But I don't like the movie using "modernized"/re-mixed hip-hop songs instead of using the original songs. And pls don't expect it to be like Moulin Rouge or Titanic.

Tobey Mcguire's acting was horrid. I felt that his acting was like a "Peter Parker in the 1920s".
Old 05-28-2013, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Ong View Post

About only 20 people in my local cinema hall watched The Great Gatsby. I guess most people prefer movies such as Fast & Furious.
You're comparing a movie that just came out (F&F) to a movie that came out 2 weeks ago.

Gatsby made $50M in its first weekend, and is already Baz Luhrmann's best selling movie domestically and still has a while to go.
Quote:
But I don't like the movie using "modernized"/re-mixed hip-hop songs instead of using the original songs
He has explained this if you want to google it.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Did anyone else notice jumping in some of the scenes, such as when the actors were moving in a scene? It looked like when using a high speed shutter. Jolts you out of the immersion when it happens. Haven't , that I can remember, seen it in previous 3D movies. I saw it in RealD 3D.

You are talking about Judder, which was extremely annoying in Avatar when I saw it in Imax, but much less annoying when I watched it at home. So it could be the equipment in the theater was not up to grade. I agree, when you see it, it wrecks the whole immersion experience. Jurassic Park had a few judder moments and so did Star Trek--but that was because of the crazy camera/scene cutting back and forth so fast I couldn't adjust to the action. It is truly the nemesis of 3D action movies.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw it this morning. The music wasn't even that distracting. It was just a little out of place when I first heard it, but then I quickly adjusted.

The movie was much better than I expected. It really felt like an emotional rollercoaster, and the visuals were awesome. The 3D was complementary to the story. There was the occasional cardboard cutout, I wish they would start converting those.

I also saw a trailer for Gravity. I loved the shot where they lurch towards the screen to catch a tiny floating object. Now that I think about it, the whole movie has a 2001 vibe. I really like it.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:40 PM

The hip-hop worked beautifully as a 1920s jazz substitute. The more that I read up on the themes and symbolism in the story and watch interviews with Baz, the more I appreciate how he presented the film. I really don't understand where the majority of critics are coming from with the "all sparkle, no soul" angle. I can understand not liking Tobey Macguire, but what more did they want from the story exactly? I think it is an amazing work of art and one of the greatest 3D films ever.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 39
Saw Gatsby for the first time in 3D Blu-ray last night. Scenes are as everyone says: gorgeous. the 3D has good depth, but I found the color too saturated and high contrast--had to tweak that quite a bit to enjoy on my Optoma HD3300 and 159" Dalite high-power screen. That said, It was a bit too surreal, overdone and over acted--and Tobey Maguire--just made it cheesy. But others seem to like it. I rented it, but it's not something I would add to my collection.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The combo is $20 at Best Buy and Amazon. I had $20 in gift cards, so I got it. Gotta support natively shot, well-made 3D!
Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 PM

I got it for $20 from Amazon too. Beautiful movie, old sport!
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Haha! Good one.

Yes, pretty amazing 3d. It was one of those rare movies that you just wouldn't bother seeing in 2d.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post

Haha! Good one.

Yes, pretty amazing 3d. It was one of those rare movies that you just wouldn't bother seeing in 2d.
That's what I wanted to avoid, until the video store was out of the 3d version every time I was there and so I just watched the 2d one instead. The entire time through I was distracted by thoughts of how much better it must look in 3d. Well after seeing it, there was no way I could buy the 2d version. Really a great movie for 3d, I didn't expect that when I had heard they were doing a remake, but they did a fantastic job

Tags
The Great Gatsby Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack