Top 20 3D Blu-Ray Movies? Also the top must have! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #61 of 212 Old 02-09-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

1953 House of Wax, with Vincent Price.
A film shot specifically in 3d format.
A must see

+1; Great movie and great 3D. Too bad there haven't been more vintage 3D releases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 212 Old 02-09-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Vintage 3d releases have been few,
likely due to fear of poor sales....but hopefully it will change.
Unfortunately, the present market leans towards the Netflix, etc means of watching movies. For the collector, if the film is not already available on dvd or bluray, the option is often video on demand disc, which are usually poor quality.
andrewtrudgett likes this.
post #63 of 212 Old 02-10-2014, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
MOD....made on demand is the latest dvd phrase used by the studios to provide customers titles that are not planned for a full commercial eelease. Most all are classics and independant films from years gone by, as well as vintage tv show.

post #64 of 212 Old 02-10-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The 3D depth and facial closeups were excellent in Man in the Dark. An old B-movie, to be sure, but very entertaining.
post #65 of 212 Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hmm...I rarely see Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away mentioned in this forum. A truly mesmerizing 3D film, although that's in the context of the overall A/V experience which is breathtaking IMHO. A definite "must have" for me.

Sincerely, the frugal audiophile
post #66 of 212 Old 02-11-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Gravity in 3D is amazing! 2D will not do that movie justice.
old corps and andrewtrudgett like this.

post #67 of 212 Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by myriadcorp View Post

Gravity in 3D is amazing! 2D will not do that movie justice.

Do you have the blu ray already? I am waiting for mine at the edge of my seat

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 ISF Calibrated | Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub) | Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 SLI GeForce 770's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX | Roku 3 | Oppo BDP-103D | Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim | Harmony Touch
post #68 of 212 Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDizzle View Post

Hmm...I rarely see Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away mentioned in this forum. A truly mesmerizing 3D film, although that's in the context of the overall A/V experience which is breathtaking IMHO. A definite "must have" for me.

I agree. It's one of the main movies I pull out to show off my 3D setup. Produced by James Cameron, you can't go wrong. Great for all ages.
LDizzle likes this.
post #69 of 212 Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

Thanks for the tip-just ordered it from 3d-blurayrental.com.smile.gif

Ed
post #70 of 212 Old 02-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Thanks for the tip-just ordered it from 3d-blurayrental.com.smile.gif

Ed
Hope you enjoy!

post #71 of 212 Old 02-18-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hope you enjoy!

The wife and I watched this today and it was outstanding! Amazing show and the 3d was excellent. Thanks again!

Ed

BTW-I ordered this from 3d-blurayrental.com late Friday and it arrived in at my Michigan home today (Tuesday). That's with yesterday being President's Day & no mail. Never received one that fast from them before-usually takes 4 or 5 business days. Dunno how that happened.confused.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #72 of 212 Old 02-18-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

The wife and I watched this today and it was outstanding! Amazing show and the 3d was excellent. Thanks again!

Ed

BTW-I ordered this from 3d-blurayrental.com late Friday and it arrived in at my Michigan home today (Tuesday). That's with yesterday being President's Day & no mail. Never received one that fast from them before-usually takes 4 or 5 business days. Dunno how that happened.confused.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
Fast service is always great! Glad you liked it.smile.gif

post #73 of 212 Old 02-19-2014, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

Vintage 3d releases have been few, likely due to fear of poor sales...

Probably true, but then again, there were only so many 3D movies made back in those days. What would we want in terms of vintage 3D?

HONDO
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE
KISS ME, KATE
post #74 of 212 Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
plus... I, THE JURY, INFERNO, MISS SADIE THOMPSON, SECOND CHANCE, DANGEROUS MISSION, GUN FURY, PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE, REVENGE OF THE CREATURE, etc etc. There were fifty English language features shot during the period, and many of them are quite good movies.
GregK and old corps like this.
post #75 of 212 Old 02-20-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Add "The Charge At Feather River".
post #76 of 212 Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

got it yesterday- have not watched yet

post #77 of 212 Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

Do you have the blu ray already? I am waiting for mine at the edge of my seat

meant to say gravity

post #78 of 212 Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM

Watched Gravity last night with the wife. Very good 3D that heightened the dramatic intensity of the film.

post #79 of 212 Old 02-26-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Watched Gravity last night with the wife. Very good 3D that heightened the dramatic intensity of the film.

Same here. We thought it was excellent!cool.gif

Ed
post #80 of 212 Old 02-26-2014, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Ditto on that buddy, I think this is going to be on my list of top blu rays for 2014. The 3D added so much to the film that was already outstanding.
old corps likes this.

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 ISF Calibrated | Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub) | Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 SLI GeForce 770's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX | Roku 3 | Oppo BDP-103D | Xbox One, PS4, Wii U, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim | Harmony Touch
post #81 of 212 Old 03-02-2014, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just picked up Tron Legacy 3D combo pack (mildy used) on eBay for $16.50! WOOT!
post #82 of 212 Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
I saw both Frozen and Gravity in theaters and I'm anxious to see how it compares at home. Anyone seen both to compare ?
post #83 of 212 Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I saw both Frozen and Gravity in theaters and I'm anxious to see how it compares at home. Anyone seen both to compare ?

It's a hard comparison for me to make because these two are entirely different movie genre's. I saw Gravity 3D in a large screen IMAX theater which is how I prefer to view most 3D, especially those with outer space scenes. Frozen will adapt better to the smaller home theater screen, IMO.

The biggest problem I have with IMAX is when they do the closeups of people. It's creepy to watch a person's head when you are sitting next to a nose that is bigger than you are. But the big scenery shots all seem to be better on IMAX. Difficult to have it both ways at the same time.

The only time I have ever seen a production that was perfect was at Disney theme parks where the production was designed around a single screen size. No movie is ever done that way because it will be shown on everything from Imax size to cell phone screens.

As for the technical 3D delivery, both were excellent in their own genre. Frozen has a large cast of voices with animated characters, while Gravity has just two dominate characters. I don't know how to compare.

Note- I have the digital download of Frozen 2D and 3D. I haven't picked up Gravity 3D yet as the digital download is too expensive for what it is and I don't have the time to order the rental for another 8 weeks. If I get Gravity, it will just be a rental. Watching it twice is about all I will want. Frozen will probably be a rewatch many times so the higher cost to own it now was worth the money.

My 3D videos and more
Don Landis HT System: Projector Sony VPL VW665ES Players: Samsung UBD K8500 OPPO BD93 Sony BDP S6200 All Regions Player Denon AVR 4311ci, 7.1 JBL Professional series and Klipsch PS3, XBOX360, Dish VIP722K; 3D Edit Suite: Edius7.53, Vegas Pro v13, Power Director15, i7-950, LG 3D TV DM2752
post #84 of 212 Old 03-02-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

Oddly I was super disappointed by this. As a big cirque fan live I felt it was way too many quick cuts and really needed wide shots so you could get a feel for the whole scene going on at once.

It struck me as a very long commercial for a circus rather than a video of a full performance.

I'll just keep tossing my $$$ at the actual cirque performances though I suppose... I don't think any movie experience will come close to the real thing.
PlayNice likes this.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #85 of 212 Old 03-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

Oddly I was super disappointed by this. As a big cirque fan live I felt it was way too many quick cuts and really needed wide shots so you could get a feel for the whole scene going on at once.

It struck me as a very long commercial for a circus rather than a video of a full performance.

I'll just keep tossing my $$$ at the actual cirque performances though I suppose... I don't think any movie experience will come close to the real thing.
I see where you're coming from & I agree about the lack of wide shots, although that's part of the reason I enjoyed it.

The close (closer) shots allow a person to experience the performances in a way that's not really possible sitting in the audience.

Of course that's not to discredit the live experience in any way. I think they both offer interesting perspectives that can't be duplicated by the other.

post #86 of 212 Old 03-03-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

I see where you're coming from & I agree about the lack of wide shots, although that's part of the reason I enjoyed it.

The close (closer) shots allow a person to experience the performances in a way that's not really possible sitting with an audience.

Of course that's not to discredit the live experience in any way. I think they both offer interesting perspectives that can't be duplicated by the other.

That's true, I really do enjoy the closeup aspect of the video and you are right, it's something you don't usually get a chance at live.

I had a few thoughts on that though:

1: Multiple angles? Not sure how well that comes off in 3D but maybe the option to choose a closeup when you want?

2: Replay - show the wide angle, then go back and show the close ups of what just happened. This throws off the timing of everything though and might make it hard especially with the musical score.

3: Also not sure how this would work in 3D but a picture in picture? Show the closeup in a frame and the wide as the backdrop or something?

I don't know... and it may just be part of what keeps the live Cirque experience so great if it's impossible to do it well on video. I think if I had seen that particular Cirque show live (a few times) I might really enjoy the video with all it's closeups, but since I haven't it left me wanting...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #87 of 212 Old 03-03-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

That's true, I really do enjoy the closeup aspect of the video and you are right, it's something you don't usually get a chance at live.

I had a few thoughts on that though:

1: Multiple angles? Not sure how well that comes off in 3D but maybe the option to choose a closeup when you want?

2: Replay - show the wide angle, then go back and show the close ups of what just happened. This throws off the timing of everything though and might make it hard especially with the musical score.

3: Also not sure how this would work in 3D but a picture in picture? Show the closeup in a frame and the wide as the backdrop or something?

I don't know... and it may just be part of what keeps the live Cirque experience so great if it's impossible to do it well on video. I think if I had seen that particular Cirque show live (a few times) I might really enjoy the video with all it's closeups, but since I haven't it left me wanting...
I like the idea of having the best of both worlds. IMO a show like Cirque is perfect for multiple camera angles.

Definitely an under used Blu-ray/DVD feature.

post #88 of 212 Old 03-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Liked: 17

It's cheaper by ordering from Amazon.uk. ALWAYS check Amazon.uk when something is not available from Amazon.com or the price seems out of line.  The company listed under New/Used named Zoverstocks regularly ships to U.S. - I've used them for years and they are totally reliable. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008U9SWK8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AVXB5JQRCA15O

post #89 of 212 Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 633
My top picks:

3D Popout:

Final Destination 5
Imax: Under the Sea
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate (best 3D overall)
Turtles Tale

3D Depth:

Hugo
Transformers: Dark of the Moon
A Christmas Carol
Guardians of Ga'Hoole
Hobbit (outdoor scenes)

Most disappointing 3D movie I own: Harry Potter
post #90 of 212 Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Most surprisingly good 3D movie I own: Upside Down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
Avatar 3d Blu Ray Collectors Edition , Captain America The First Avenger Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Hugo Blu Ray 3d , Imax Under The Sea 3d Single Disc Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Combo , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray , Marvels The Avengers Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo In Blu Ray Packaging , Prometheus Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , The Lion King Four Disc Diamond Edition Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Titanic Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page