Escape From Planet Earth is 1.81...kinda... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A 1.81 AR 3D blu ray is an almost automatic buy because of the fullscreen and no screen size distortions necessary. So when I saw the AR on Escape From Planet Earth I snatched it up. But when I viewed the movie, it was the 2.40 AR...borders on the top and bottom, smaller picture....I was like...whats going on here? I went through the blu ray player and disc options and there was no 1.81 option. As I watched the movie, I noticed that objects, particularily bullet fire and other projectiles would come out the 2.40 picture and through the black borders....okay, so thats what they meant by 1.81 smile.gif. I was duped into buying the disc, but the movie is funny with the crazy military commander (voiced by William Shatner). Be advised that its not a true 1.81 picture. Its a standard 2.40 picture with objects that fly out through the black borders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 424
I believe you mean 1.85:1, not 1.81:1.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I got it from ebay for $9.99 and hope to watch it with my Grandsons this weekend.cool.gif

Ed
post #4 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I can tell you that its funny, and they'll laugh biggrin.gif. William Shatner does a good job ("I trust there will be no more outburts?") as the megalomanic military commander. There's also two alien worshiping civilians...that are good for some laughs biggrin.gif. The alien prison in area 51 is a lot of fun. I got Ice Age 4, and this was a lot funnier.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreHD View Post

I can tell you that its funny, and they'll laugh biggrin.gif. William Shatner does a good job ("I trust there will be no more outburts?") as the megalomanic military commander. There's also two alien worshiping civilians...that are good for some laughs biggrin.gif. The alien prison in area 51 is a lot of fun. I got Ice Age 4, and this was a lot funnier.

Looking forward to it! Love Shatner since he went comedian!smile.gif

Ed
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

Looking forward to it! Love Shatner since he went comedian!smile.gif

Ed
When was that, about 1967? tongue.gif

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Captain Kirk Has Taken Too Much LSD is some of Shatners finest work. Well worth a search.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey, I wrote this movie smile.gif Glad you guys enjoyed it! Shatner is a hilarious guy, we were lucky to have him.

AndreHD, as it's already been pointed out, the "E3D" or "Enhanced 3D" where items break the matte is the reason for the aspect ratio discrepancy. I think it's a cool effect, and wish we could have used it even more in the movie. But the movie was always composed for 2.40. (Actually, our original camera tests were 1.85. We shot a few scenes in the 1.85 aspect ratio initially, but our Director of Photography made a strong case for switching to anamorphic. After we saw the same scenes A/B'ed, it was an easy choice!)
brector likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 167
While I prefer 1.85 AR for 3D home viewing ( front Projector 105" screen) The idea of the 3D breaking the matte is very clever and ingenious. Good job!
post #10 of 11 Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob 99 View Post

Hey, I wrote this movie smile.gif Glad you guys enjoyed it! Shatner is a hilarious guy, we were lucky to have him.

AndreHD, as it's already been pointed out, the "E3D" or "Enhanced 3D" where items break the matte is the reason for the aspect ratio discrepancy. I think it's a cool effect, and wish we could have used it even more in the movie. But the movie was always composed for 2.40. (Actually, our original camera tests were 1.85. We shot a few scenes in the 1.85 aspect ratio initially, but our Director of Photography made a strong case for switching to anamorphic. After we saw the same scenes A/B'ed, it was an easy choice!)

Bob 99...thanks for a great family-friendly 3D movie. We all loved it especially the scenes where the matte was broken for 3D (snow, smoke, explosions etc.) Awesome!

Derek
post #11 of 11 Old 07-14-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I finally got to see the movie and agree it was very well done story. The 3D effects were fun and entertaining too. Breaking the matte was a great effect but I wish it was done more since there was plenty of missed opportunity.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Escape From Planet Earth 3d Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Escape by PriceGrabber.com