Alright, Jack The Giant Slayer tomorrow :D! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 06-17-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Couldn't figure out why this movie tanked in the theaters, because it sure didn't deserve it. Cant wait to see that awesome castle siege at the end on my 55"! Impressions tomorrow night!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 06-17-2013, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Interesting. I've heard nothing but negative comments on this movies from others.
post #3 of 23 Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I saw it in a theater and liked it enough to buy it.
post #4 of 23 Old 06-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The 3D is fine, better than average. The movie is somewhat silly but the ugly giants are interesting especially the one with the two heads.
post #5 of 23 Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

THE SECOND PSYCHOTIC HEAD AND ITS FACIAL EXPRESSIONS, LMAO biggrin.gif!
post #6 of 23 Old 06-19-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Just as I had remembered it in the theater! One of those movies that should have performed better in the theaters! You had the giant with the crazy looking second head, the nose picker giant aka the chef biggrin.gif...the high top fade giant....the CGI team did a great job putting personality into them!

Best 3D I can call off my head...the very first giant that appears when the search team reach the top of the stalk. It puts its face right in the camera and seems to come out the screen. Whenever the beans are thrown, they popped out. The two headed giant busts through the castle floor, sending rocks flying out. Fun movie!

The rescue team saves the princess and escape the land of the giants. The two-headed giant is standing there frustrated that they escaped and the bean stalk was chopped down. Suddenly the psychotic head starts nudging the dominant head. Something is on the ground. They pick up a small pouch and he empties the contents into his hand. The psychotic head says, "BEEEEEEEAAAAAANS" biggrin.gif. They've found a way to grow new bean stalks and get down to the human land below. And the giant chef that picks his nose and eats his underarm sweat while he's preparing the humans for dinner biggrin.gif...I dont care what the critics says, this movie makes me laugh, and I LIKE it biggrin.gif!
post #7 of 23 Old 06-20-2013, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
FYI: I picked up the 3D copy at the local BB but had a time finding it. They put the 3D edition behind the stack of 2D editions and there wasn't any sales tag mentioning the 3D edition either. Annoying how 3D releases are getting shoved to the side now.
post #8 of 23 Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I think it didn't catch on in theaters because it had an identity crisis. It was too violent for kids, but yet the Giants were kid friendly entertainment. There's a stabbing and people getting eaten (shown from a distance). If that was cut out it could have been marketed to a wider audience.

I'll remember this movie's theater run because I had just gotten totally cheated by Hobbit. No resolution to anything, not even the expendable villain. So in this movie, Jack saves the princess and they escape the land of the giants. They're teasing that this is the fairy tale ending, when the giants are STILL up there...Jack gets his reward from the king and goes off on his way...so I'm thinking, this is Hobbit all over again, nothing resolved, no pay off to anything, and I had just been robbed again smile.gif. I'm expecting the credits to roll any second. It THEN switches to the two headed giant looking down at the land below...the little head has other plans than a robbery ending smile.gif...it spots a small object on the ground...

Little head: "UUHHHGG!!!" (It speaks in grunts)

Big Head: "Not now!"

Little Head: "UUUGGGHHH!!!!"

Big Head: "WHAT?!"

Little Head brings Big Head's attention to the pouch on the ground. Big Head picks it up and emties the contents in his hand...

Little Head: "BEEEEEAAAAAANS!!" biggrin.gif

That's when I knew the movie wasn't quite over biggrin.gif!

"ARE YOU READY?! CAN YOU TASTE IT???!!!"

What follows is a wild, chaotic chase and castle seige! Tug of war on a drawbridge, trees, giant bells, giant hammers being hurled into the castle, arrows an slingshots! A giant goes, "Victory! I can almost taste it!!", and licks his tongue before its pierced by an arrow and he's shot down biggrin.gif! It was a total blast! Hope it does well on blu ray, it deserves to!
post #9 of 23 Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
just watched it with my son...

1. great family movie. very tasteful. every time they're going to kill someone, they cut away, to avoid gore. i appreciated that.
2. use of 3d was terrific. it had a couple nice pop out moments... but the depth was fantastic. lots of it too. for live action, i personally, though it was Life of Pi quality.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-12-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Finally decided to rent this on a whim. I just thought it would be another so-so 3D movie, but was really surprised. Some amusing moments, good 3D depth, good giant to human perspective. Kept my interest all the way through. Best not to prejudge this. I agree, this movie probably suffered from an audience identity problem being what I thought was a kids movie, but turned out to be more adult in nature. Also had a Hobbit feel to it.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-12-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I enjoyed this movie at the show and added it to my bluray 3D collection. I think part of it's failure at the boxoffice was due to the continuing trend this summer of people staying away from movies that aren't sequels or low brow comedies. Prime example is Pacific Rim another summer flop which will be added to my 3D collection as soon as it is released. This picture was 100% better than hits like Grown Ups 2 or Man Of Steel.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well I really disliked it. The 3D was fine but I would never rewatch it, 3D or not.

I will find a way to have a Pacific Rim party before release date though. That was a blast.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Thanks for the 3d impressions everyone! I watched the 2d version and enjoyed the movie along with fantastic PQ/AQ. Looking forward to popping in the 3d disc at some point soon and watching it! smile.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #14 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Thanks for the 3d impressions everyone! I watched the 2d version and enjoyed the movie along with fantastic PQ/AQ. Looking forward to popping in the 3d disc at some point soon and watching it! smile.gif

The 3D will surprise you and more dimension to the scenes (pun intended ;o).
post #15 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I bought and watched Jack the Giant Slayer a couple of weeks ago and was pretty neutral to it. The story and acting both left me cold and after one viewing I really didn't feel like watching it again. The 3D, while natively shot, felt somewhat conservative to me. To me the only shots that elicited a strong sense of depth were the top down giants' viewpoints of the crowds. I would have expected more vertigo inducing imagery looking down from the heights of the beanstalk to the land below but I never got that. There were a few popouts but again nothing particularly memorable. Quite honestly, I had a better time with the 3D in G.I. Joe and that was a post-conversion.
post #16 of 23 Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

The 3D will surprise you and more dimension to the scenes (pun intended ;o).

biggrin.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #17 of 23 Old 08-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I bought and watched Jack the Giant Slayer a couple of weeks ago and was pretty neutral to it. The story and acting both left me cold and after one viewing I really didn't feel like watching it again. The 3D, while natively shot, felt somewhat conservative to me. To me the only shots that elicited a strong sense of depth were the top down giants' viewpoints of the crowds. I would have expected more vertigo inducing imagery looking down from the heights of the beanstalk to the land below but I never got that. There were a few popouts but again nothing particularly memorable. Quite honestly, I had a better time with the 3D in G.I. Joe and that was a post-conversion.

Although as a whole I liked the 3D in this feature I have to agree that alot of it seemed very conservative from a depth standpoint. When I saw it in the theater I thought it was a conversion and only later did I find out it was shot nativley. It's interesting that there have been so many conservativley shot natively produced films,(ie. Spiderman, Pirates) And I believe that these high profile semi 3D films have hurt the process as shown by the current drop in 3D ticket sales here in the States. It only takes one mediorce experience to turn an audience member into a 3D hater. If you pay for 3D you should get 3D.

I to am very impressed with the current state of 3D conversions. Last night I saw "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters" and was quite fascinated by the conversion. So much more depth than say "Harry Potter 7&8." I also really enjoyed "Pacific Rim" whose conversion helped keep those very busy frames more readable to the eye. When I read that "The Lone Ranger" was such a financial flop the thought crossed my mind that maybe it was because it wasn't in 3D. I was joking but based on an article in Forbes I might have been somewhat right! Check it out.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/08/06/pacific-rim-the-lone-ranger-and-the-necessary-evil-of-3d/
post #18 of 23 Old 08-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Unfortunately this was yet another recent 3D bluray that I purchased and only made it about half way through before I simply didn't care any more. I've added this to the pile that includes The Hobbit, Texas Chainsaw 3D and Hansel & Gretel. I'm hopeful for some of the summer blockbusters about to be released.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 04:23 PM

Liked: 16
I liked Jack the Giant Slayer and it's 3D. It's not one that connects strongly on an intellectual/emotional level, and the 3D depth is a little too far on the conservative side. Still, it was a light, entertaining fun adventure, and I appreciated the use of native 3D. It's looks much better than Spider-man's live depth and is story-boarded much better than Pirates 4 (Jack shares same lead stereographer, Chris Parks, as Pirates).
Quote:
I to am very impressed with the current state of 3D conversions. Last night I saw "Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters" and was quite fascinated by the conversion. So much more depth than say "Harry Potter 7&8." I also really enjoyed "Pacific Rim" whose conversion helped keep those very busy frames more readable to the eye. When I read that "The Lone Ranger" was such a financial flop the thought crossed my mind that maybe it was because it wasn't in 3D. I was joking but based on an article in Forbes I might have been somewhat right! Check it out.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2013/08/06/pacific-rim-the-lone-ranger-and-the-necessary-evil-of-3d/
The article is kind of silly. Sure 3D is probably part of the larger draw, but which movie is Asian market more likely to go watch--the American cowboy movie or the international movie about mechs vs. kaiju? Kind of "Duh!" as to why Pacific Rim is more successful overseas. There's also the huge difference in critic/audience ratings. Too many factors going on to lay it all on 3D in this one instance. And he's also completely biased against 3D as an artistic tool and completely wrong about Del Toro "losing the fight" with the studio and "begrudgingly accepting" a 3D conversion. Thankfully, Del Toro changed his mind!
post #20 of 23 Old 08-15-2013, 10:18 PM

Liked: 24
I actually really liked Jack the Giant Slayer. Watched it, GI Joe 2 and the Great and Powerful Oz in close order and thought it was the best of the bunch. Have a good friend who missed GI Joe but agrees with the Jack/Oz assessment. I'll go as far as saying for some reason I remember Jack better than the Avenger's movie, not saying it was better, but for some reason I remember the Hulk saying "Puny God" and little else of that movie. I'm tempted to get a copy of both at some point, not Oz or GI Joe. I think the movie was poorly marketed, but then again I think John Carter was poorly marketed and coulda done better as well.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-16-2013, 07:37 AM

For those who didn't like the poor depth: I always look at the infinity depth cue--ie. objects at infinity should be separated about 2.5" on screen. If that isn't true, then I adjust my Sony Blu-ray player to separate at 2.5," and what a difference that makes especially for Jack and GI Joe. Then again, I have a 159" screen and lack of depth is rarely and issue.
post #22 of 23 Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I think the depths ok on this title to be honest. I certainly don't remember being particularly disappointed with the 3D.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 PM

True depth relies on the disparity between the foreground separation and the background separation. Infinity should be 2.5" (or the distance between the center of your eyes) and the stereo window should be none--your TV screen , and the pop outs should be negative separation. This is a tough one because it requires so much variation given how the 3D was originally shot or how the conversion was made. If you see a lot of the scene floating in your room (ie. negative separation) then infinity is probably not going to be 2.5" and needs to be adjusted if you can. It also creates a problem for pop outs, since they HAVE TO BE negative separation before they appear to be inside your viewing room--ie. between yourself and the TV. Regardless, a small screen--less then 100"--is probably not going to create enough depth illusion to satisfy you most of the time.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page