Imax Space Junk 3D Announced for BluRay - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
For my money Imax plus 3D plus outer space imagery usually yields some of the best home 3D experiences so I was really happy to see Space Junk 3D announced for a mid-September debut. Details are still a bit sparse but Image generally does a good job on these titles and the current price of $22.48 seems reasonable to me.

Here's a link to the Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Junk-IMAX-3D-Blu-ray/dp/B00D9EJGBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372294578&sr=8-1&keywords=space+junk+3d+blu+ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
interesting. i have 2 imax 3d movies. under the sea (AMAZING) and Hubble (horrible)....

hubble sucked SOOO bad. i thought i'd be getting a movie about what the hubble sees. no, it was a lame movie about the telescope itself. pure suck.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought Hubble was one of the better 3d Blu ray presentations as it presented some interesting information and very good 3d visuals. I've always been a big astronomy fan however so I'm sure that made the presentation more accessible to me.
dfergie likes this.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I love the IMAX features but I think they're somewhat high priced for a 45 min documentary.

If they get down to the $10-15 range I'd be all over them.

I have to wait and catch them on sale.

Haven't seen this one yet but might be a good black level tester!
post #5 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
no no, i'm very into astronomy... but there was nothing captivating about it.

the 3d was great... and the part with the stars coming out of the screen was awesome also. but i guess no one probably expects it'd be a documentary about the telescope itself. i think most would assume its 'obviously' about the amazing stuff the hubble sees. as opposed to it being built, launched, fixed. etc.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-21-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I received my copy and got thru watching it today. It is your standard Imax 3D documentary: largely educational, a little preachy, and presents some interesting facts. The presentation is a bit disjointed, as it tries to draw parallels between grand cosmic events and what is happening with satellites in orbit. The visuals consist of a mix of live action cinematography and good looking but not quite photo-realistic CG effects.

In terms of 3D, depth into the screen is outstanding though there is not much in the way of pop out of the screen. There was a moderate amount of ghosting on my 2010 active plasma, which is not surprising given there are a lot of visuals featuring bright foreground objects in front of a dark background. I got it for $20 and am a fan of these Imax presentations and astronomy, so for me it was a good buy.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Always hoping for the best with the IMAX films but I was disappointed with Space Junk. To me, it has the worst 3D of any IMAX I've ever seen. Their use of computer graphics normally entertaining and done well in 3D is pretty boring this time around. I was always thinking, maybe they are holding back on the good 3D but a short 38 minutes later I was still waiting. Nothing really ever appears on screen that can be used for great 3D depth and I did not notice any pop-outs whatsoever. For me, this was a let down on a couple of levels for someone who is familiar with IMAX features. Sure I learned something that I didn't know but I wasn't impressed by how they presented it. The thing that makes IMAX stuff stand taller is not here. If I had watched this without knowing who produced it, and was asked if I thought this was an IMAX product I would have said no way. For sale at a good price on eBay.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Having watched Space Junk on both my 2010 Samsung and 2012 LG, I've come to the conclusion that the TV has a major impact on the 3D experience with titles like this. On my 2010 Samsung, the depth was very good but hardly anything seemed to break the plane of the screen. On my 2012 LG however, I was absolutely wowed by the presentation; again and again stuff seemed to be extending out past the TV, especially the final sequence that discusses ways of collecting all the junk. The space net and even the mini garbage scow circling the space station seemed to be occupying the space in my living room between my TV and myself.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Always hoping for the best with the IMAX films but I was disappointed with Space Junk. To me, it has the worst 3D of any IMAX I've ever seen. Their use of computer graphics normally entertaining and done well in 3D is pretty boring this time around. I was always thinking, maybe they are holding back on the good 3D but a short 38 minutes later I was still waiting. Nothing really ever appears on screen that can be used for great 3D depth and I did not notice any pop-outs whatsoever. For me, this was a let down on a couple of levels for someone who is familiar with IMAX features. Sure I learned something that I didn't know but I wasn't impressed by how they presented it. The thing that makes IMAX stuff stand taller is not here. If I had watched this without knowing who produced it, and was asked if I thought this was an IMAX product I would have said no way. For sale at a good price on eBay.

I have to agree w/ you on the computer graphics, very sub par on most scenes.

I saw this @ the Ben Franklin Institute's OMNIMAX in Philly.

It wasn't in 3D but the dome somewhat made up for that with immersion.

Though the edges of the picture were distorted due to the fish eye lens stretching the material that you could tell wasn't intended to be displayed in that manner.

You had about 50% of the image properly projected and was meant for you to focus on while the fringes of the dome was just to immerse you but not look turn your attention to.

I still want to pick up this title and see it in 3D on my 10 foot wide scope Da-Lite HCHP screen.

What were you watching it on?
post #10 of 10 Old 10-02-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by biliam1982 View Post

I have to agree w/ you on the computer graphics, very sub par on most scenes.

I saw this @ the Ben Franklin Institute's OMNIMAX in Philly.

It wasn't in 3D but the dome somewhat made up for that with immersion.

Though the edges of the picture were distorted due to the fish eye lens stretching the material that you could tell wasn't intended to be displayed in that manner.

You had about 50% of the image properly projected and was meant for you to focus on while the fringes of the dome was just to immerse you but not look turn your attention to.

I still want to pick up this title and see it in 3D on my 10 foot wide scope Da-Lite HCHP screen.

What were you watching it on?

Hi Biliam, I saw it on a 65" Sony UHD TV
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Imax Hubble 3d Blu Ray , Under The Sea Imax 3 D Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page