What are the absolute best looking 3D Blu-ray's you have seen? (passive 3D TV owners only) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I recently purchased a passive 3D TV (LG 84LM9600 4K UHD) and am looking for only the best looking 3D Blu-ray titles to watch on it. The reason I am designating this thread to only owners of passive 3D TV's, is because some tiles tend to be a tad problematic on passive TV's that play fine on active. Titles like Drive Angry, and The Sammy's Adventures films tend to have one eye out of sync with the other by a few seconds. This causes a blurred picture which makes it totally unwatchable.

I saw this with Drive Angry, and it did not make for a pleasant viewing experience. I use an Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-ray player and every 3D tile I've played besides Drive Angry has been fine, but I do not want to repeat that experience again. So with that said, all you owners of passive 3D TV's, which 3D Blu-ray's look the best on your TV's? This includes overall PQ, depth and pop-out effects.

Here are my best of picks:

Best depth

Life of Pi
Oz the Great and Powerful

Best Pop-out effects

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
Journey to the Center of the Earth

Best combination, depth and pop-out effects

Jurassic Park
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Recommendations from fellow AVS members (Will list according to how the 3D effect is, whether depth, parallax, or both, when I get that info)

Dredd
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
Hugo
Despicable Me
Rise of the Guardians
Upside Down
Creature From the Black Lagoon
House of Wax (Upcoming Release)
My Bloody Valentine
The Great Gatsby (upcoming release)
Step Up 3D
The Hobbit
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Resident Evil: Retribution
Drive Angry (may be problematic due to a compatibility problem between the Blu-ray 3D disc and equipment used. If problematic, a firmware update will need to be installed in your Blu-ray player)
IMAX Space Station
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 07-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hugo is one of the best, Despicable me is great too. I also like Rise of the Guardians, mainly because of the snow scenes, any scene with snow/ashes/rain look awesome in 3D since it enhances the depth of the image.
post #3 of 81 Old 07-01-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

Hugo is one of the best, Despicable me is great too. I also like Rise of the Guardians, mainly because of the snow scenes, any scene with snow/ashes/rain look awesome in 3D since it enhances the depth of the image.

Very cool! Thanks for the recommendations!smile.gif The only one I own of the ones you listed is Hugo, I need to buy the others now.

Seth
post #4 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

I recently purchased a passive 3D TV (LG 84LM9600 4K UHD) and am looking for only the best looking 3D Blu-ray titles to watch on it. The reason I am designating this thread to only owners of passive 3D TV's, is because some tiles tend to be a tad problematic on passive TV's that play fine on active. Titles like Drive Angry, and The Sammy's Adventures films tend to have one eye out of sync with the other by a few seconds. This causes a blurred picture with makes it totally unwatchable.

I saw this with Drive Angry, and it did not make for a pleasant viewing experience. I use an Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-ray player and every 3D tile I've played besides Drive Angry has been fine, but I do not want to repeat that experience again. So with that said, all you owners of passive 3D TV's, which 3D Blu-ray's look the best on your TV's? This includes overall PQ, depth and pop-out effects.

Best depth

Life of Pi

Best Pop-out effects

Jurassic Park

do you remember which moments in Sammy that have one eye out of sync? I don't remember it happening when I watched it.
post #5 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed View Post

do you remember which moments in Sammy that have one eye out of sync? I don't remember it happening when I watched it.

I've actually never watched it before, but have read about others having major out of sync issues when played on their passive sets. Some have said that it was due to a firmware that was needed for the Blu-ray player being used. I was going to buy this title, but after reading about this issue, I decided not to.

What TV do you own, LG, Vizio, or other? And what Blu-ray player do you use?

Seth
post #6 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
The playback issue you describe has nothing to do with whether you are watching on a passive or active set - it's player related. There are a small number of discs that are encoded starting with the opposite eye view from most other discs. Most players can handle this, but I have heard of certain LG players and the Oppo 103 not being able to correct this. A firmware update was issued for the LG players, which solved the problem, and I am sure Oppo has offered a fix also or is working on one. I know for sure some of the discs people were having troubles with were "Rio" and 'Drive Angry".

I have no issues playing either of these titles on either my passive or active sets, using my Sony and Oppo 93 players.
post #7 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

The playback issue you describe has nothing to do with whether you are watching on a passive or active set - it's player related. There are a small number of discs that are encoded starting with the opposite eye view from most other discs. Most players can handle this, but I have heard of certain LG players and the Oppo 103 not being able to correct this. A firmware update was issued for the LG players, which solved the problem, and I am sure Oppo has offered a fix also or is working on one. I know for sure some of the discs people were having troubles with were "Rio" and 'Drive Angry".

I have no issues playing either of these titles on either my passive or active sets, using my Sony and Oppo 93 players.

Yes, most likely it is player related, and Oppo needs to issue a firmware update for the BDP-103. But it's interesting that these titles that are problematic, and require firmware updates for use on passive TV's, play just fine on active displays.
post #8 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Yes, most likely it is player related, and Oppo needs to issue a firmware update for the BDP-103. But it's interesting that these titles that are problematic, and require firmware updates for use on passive TV's, play just fine on active displays.
That's not how it works, though... the player sends exactly the same type of signal to both types of TVs, it's the TVs that do the work of processing the 3D signal into whichever format it needs to be viewed in. Even if there is a problem in the way the signal is being handled by the TV, that's down to firmware, some issue within a specific model of TV and not related to whether it's passive or active.

This is the first time I have ever heard of playback problems based on display type rather than player hardware or software. I've yet to experience any problems of any kind on my display (which is passive).

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #9 of 81 Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

That's not how it works, though... the player sends exactly the same type of signal to both types of TVs, it's the TVs that do the work of processing the 3D signal into whichever format it needs to be viewed in. Even if there is a problem in the way the signal is being handled by the TV, that's down to firmware, some issue within a specific model of TV and not related to whether it's passive or active.

This is the first time I have ever heard of playback problems based on display type rather than player hardware or software. I've yet to experience any problems of any kind on my display (which is passive).

What brand of TV do you have? The reports on the out of of sync left/right eye thing were on LG model TV's, so I'm not sure if this also happened with Vizio models as well.
post #10 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 02:22 AM

Add Upside Down to my favorites list, I wasn't shot in 3D but was obviously shot with plans to covert it. It is in 2.35 format, which I think hurts 3D films, if they want 3D to take off in homes then they really need to stick to 16:9 like Hugo did...

With that said, does using the "cinema zoom" on LG tv's throw off the 3D in any way? It seems to me that it would, I still see the 3D effect when doing it but there is a slight discomfort and I'm thinking some lines may be getting directed to the wrong eye.
post #11 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Add Upside Down to my favorites list, I wasn't shot in 3D but was obviously shot with plans to covert it. It is in 2.35 format, which I think hurts 3D films, if they want 3D to take off in homes then they really need to stick to 16:9 like Hugo did...

With that said, does using the "cinema zoom" on LG tv's throw off the 3D in any way? It seems to me that it would, I still see the 3D effect when doing it but there is a slight discomfort and I'm thinking some lines may be getting directed to the wrong eye.

Upside Down looks like a cool movie. I've seen the trailer and want to see the movie now. So even though the movie is 2:35:1, how does the 3D aspect fare? How is the depth and pop-outs?

I agree, the best way to showcase 3D is to present it in 1:78:1. I have never tried the Cinema Zoom on my LG. I watch the movies the way they are, black bars and all. Anyway, by zooming it up you will lose some resolution. And I'm sure by zooming it does throw the 3D off.
post #12 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

What brand of TV do you have? The reports on the out of of sync left/right eye thing were on LG model TV's, so I'm not sure if this also happened with Vizio models as well.

I don't think any of the zoom features work in 3D... on my LM4700 you only have access to 3 picture settings and a few audio settings. Most tuning/settings are disabled in 3D mode.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #13 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I recently purchased a passive 3D TV (LG 84LM9600 4K UHD) and am looking for only the best looking 3D Blu-ray titles to watch on it. The reason I am designating this thread to only owners of passive 3D TV's, is because some tiles tend to be a tad problematic on passive TV's that play fine on active. Titles like Drive Angry, and The Sammy's Adventures films tend to have one eye out of sync with the other by a few seconds. This causes a blurred picture which makes it totally unwatchable.

Best depth

Life of Pi

Best Pop-out effects

Jurassic Park

I don't see how it could be a passive display issue... the passive displays show both frames at the same time, active shows alternating but so quickly it should be all but indistinguishable... if either of them are out of sync enough to see then it should look the same on both...

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #14 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devedander View Post

I don't see how it could be a passive display issue... the passive displays show both frames at the same time, active shows alternating but so quickly it should be all but indistinguishable... if either of them are out of sync enough to see then it should look the same on both...

Now we're getting into a lengthy discussion that is really deviating from the subject of this thread. I only pointed out why I made this a "passive 3D only" thread. I appreciate the info, and as has been mentioned, the issue with out of sync playback stems from the Blu-ray player used. Which in my case is an Oppo BDP-103. So I will need to contact Oppo and see if they can offer a firmware update to correct it.
post #15 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 02:45 PM

Upside Down has a good bit of depth and some pop-out, not the extreme pop-out you would find in GCI films but parts that to extend into the room. The story isn't the best but it is pretty interesting. They framed the movie very well for 3D and I wouldn't have guessed it was a conversion, it almost has the feel of Hugo the way the shots were designed to enhance the 3D experience.
post #16 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:

Those of us with 2.35:1 screens vehemently disagree with you.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #17 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

I'd recommend "Creature from the Black Lagoon". Excellent full deep depth (not like the flatter 3-D of today) and several very good off the screen gimmick effects. "House of Wax" is coming Oct. 1st also; having seen it several times in theatrical revivals and countless times on field sequential at home; it's an absolute must.

For modern stuff, the top tier native 3-D movies would include "My Bloody Valentine", 'Journey to the Center of the Earth", "Hugo", "The Great Gatsby", even "Step Up 3-D". All of these are much deeper than the other modern films, as are many of the IMAX documentaries.

The conversions are getting better too.

They really need to ratchet up the parallax though. These 2.5D movies aren't cutting it.
post #18 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's an LG, 60". I forget the model number off the top of my head. Picked it up back in January, during the pre-Superbowl sales.

post #19 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Seth,
I watched Drive Angry again but this time on my 84" LG 4K the same as yours to eliminate any variables. The movie played perfectly so it must be your Oppo 103. I agree with the others that it should make no difference whether you are watching with active or passive glasses. Therefore this thread should not be limited to passive only. I believe there is another thread with the same topic.

Welcome to the 3D threads that I follow closely. You know you can ask me about any movie as I have seen them all. I did enjoy Upside Down but don't pay full retail.

Your friend George
post #20 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Upside Down has a good bit of depth and some pop-out, not the extreme pop-out you would find in GCI films but parts that to extend into the room. The story isn't the best but it is pretty interesting. They framed the movie very well for 3D and I wouldn't have guessed it was a conversion, it almost has the feel of Hugo the way the shots were designed to enhance the 3D experience.

Sounds like something I would enjoy. It's too bad that the only way for me to see it in 3D is to buy it, as no rental store in my town rents 3D Blu-ray's. And Blockbuster online and Netflix do not rent 3D titles.

Thanks for the mini review.wink.gif
post #21 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd recommend "Creature from the Black Lagoon". Excellent full deep depth (not like the flatter 3-D of today) and several very good off the screen gimmick effects. "House of Wax" is coming Oct. 1st also; having seen it several times in theatrical revivals and countless times on field sequential at home; it's an absolute must.

For modern stuff, the top tier native 3-D movies would include "My Bloody Valentine", 'Journey to the Center of the Earth", "Hugo", "The Great Gatsby", even "Step Up 3-D". All of these are much deeper than the other modern films, as are many of the IMAX documentaries.

The conversions are getting better too.

They really need to ratchet up the parallax though. These 2.5D movies aren't cutting it.

Interesting, I didn't know that some of those really old classic 3D movies would look good using todays 3D technology. Are these films in black and white or are they in color?

The only ones of the newer movies you listed that I own are Hugo and Journey to the Center of the Earth. I am very tempted to buy The Great Gatsby 3D when it gets released, but I just don't know how good the movie itself is. I totally agree with you, more releases need to up the use of parallax 3D. A perfect 3D movie in my opinion, is when both depth and parallax are used equally. As you said, 2.5D just isn't good enough.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Seth
post #22 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post

It's an LG, 60". I forget the model number off the top of my head. Picked it up back in January, during the pre-Superbowl sales.

So that really confirms that it's my Blu-ray player. Thanks for the info!wink.gif
post #23 of 81 Old 07-03-2013, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX1992 View Post

Seth,
I watched Drive Angry again but this time on my 84" LG 4K the same as yours to eliminate any variables. The movie played perfectly so it must be your Oppo 103. I agree with the others that it should make no difference whether you are watching with active or passive glasses. Therefore this thread should not be limited to passive only. I believe there is another thread with the same topic.

Welcome to the 3D threads that I follow closely. You know you can ask me about any movie as I have seen them all. I did enjoy Upside Down but don't pay full retail.

Your friend George

Hi, George!

Yep, if there's anyone who REALLY knows 3D, It's definitely you!wink.gif

Yeah, it's gotta be my Oppo 103. Now I hope Oppo will issue a firmware fix for that title.

I wonder if there are any passive 3D TV owners here that also use an Oppo 103? And if so, how does Sammy's Adventure, Rio, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader look?

I am curious about a few that I own? How are the PQ and 3D effects on the following:

The Adventures of Tintin
John Carter
The Three Musketeers
Underworld Awakening
Puss in Boots
post #24 of 81 Old 07-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

The 1950's films were all originally released in polarized form with clear glasses; the only thing new about today's technology is that digital projection is used. Of the 50 films shot in 1952-55; about 35 were in color. "House of Wax" is color, "Creature" is black and white.

As a rule, these older 3-D films blow away their current counteparts; they used full depth then, and the shots were all composed with 3-D in mind. If you have a chance, check out the third World 3-D Expo in LA this September. They will be running three dozen of them, some in newly made digital prints, and others using the twin 35mm print technique in use 60 years ago. I attended the first and second Expos in 2003 and 2006, and these movies are astonishing in 3-D as a whole.
post #25 of 81 Old 07-04-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Those of us with 2.35:1 screens vehemently disagree with you.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be better one a large 2.35 screen, I am just saying that in terms of 3D staying relevant it would be better for them to stick with 16:9. There are already some conversion plans being canceled and I assume behind the scenes studios are less concerned with 3D now than they were a few years ago. 2.35 is just a small part of that but I do think 16:9 3D films would help the market a little.
post #26 of 81 Old 07-04-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Aspect ratio isn't the problem directly, it's the fact that it's being displayed on a 16:9 monitor with black bars. It's those bars that mess with the effect. I would imagine viewing it on a CIH or 2.4:1 display would be fine, since the image would still fill out the entire screen. Whether it's 2.4:1 or 16:9, anything that fills the entire screen is going to be the way to watch. The point to remember is that those with 2.4:1 or CIH screen setups are in the extreme minority... 99.9% of all people watching 3D content are doing it on a 16:9 display.

ohyeah32, FWIW, I've got a Sony BD player. BDP590 or something like that. Fairly new, but doesn't have all the bells and whistles that their latest models have (which I wasn't going to use anyway, so I saved myself some money). Bought it at the same time I bought the TV back in January since I needed a 3D player to go with my new 3D TV. Ironically, my old player was an LG, which was replaced with a Sony, while my TV was replaced with an LG (would have been much funnier if the old TV had been a Sony, but alas, it was a Westinghouse).

post #27 of 81 Old 07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi, George!

Yep, if there's anyone who REALLY knows 3D, It's definitely you!wink.gif

Yeah, it's gotta be my Oppo 103. Now I hope Oppo will issue a firmware fix for that title.

I wonder if there are any passive 3D TV owners here that also use an Oppo 103? And if so, how does Sammy's Adventure, Rio, and The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader look?

I am curious about a few that I own? How are the PQ and 3D effects on the following:

The Adventures of Tintin
John Carter
The Three Musketeers
Underworld Awakening
Puss in Boots
I am a little confused. If you already own the above 5 movies why are you asking about the PQ and 3D effects?

Also the Oppo 103 should not make any difference in the 3D viewing of the other 3 which are all excellent.
post #28 of 81 Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Interesting, I didn't know that some of those really old classic 3D movies would look good using todays 3D technology. Are these films in black and white or are they in color?

The only ones of the newer movies you listed that I own are Hugo and Journey to the Center of the Earth. I am very tempted to buy The Great Gatsby 3D when it gets released, but I just don't know how good the movie itself is. I totally agree with you, more releases need to up the use of parallax 3D. A perfect 3D movie in my opinion, is when both depth and parallax are used equally. As you said, 2.5D just isn't good enough.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Seth
I saw Gatsby 3D in the theater and both my wife and I enjoyed it very much. I can't wait for the Blu-ray release in August.
post #29 of 81 Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 1950's films were all originally released in polarized form with clear glasses; the only thing new about today's technology is that digital projection is used. Of the 50 films shot in 1952-55; about 35 were in color. "House of Wax" is color, "Creature" is black and white.

As a rule, these older 3-D films blow away their current counteparts; they used full depth then, and the shots were all composed with 3-D in mind. If you have a chance, check out the third World 3-D Expo in LA this September. They will be running three dozen of them, some in newly made digital prints, and others using the twin 35mm print technique in use 60 years ago. I attended the first and second Expos in 2003 and 2006, and these movies are astonishing in 3-D as a whole.

Very interesting info. I wasn't aware that the really old 3D movies of the 50's used polarized glasses with clear lenses. So why is it that they switched to those red/blue type later on, which IMO ruined the colors of the film? And when did theaters start using polarized once again?

I would love to go to that 3-D Expo, but that's quite a distance from where I live. Too bad I don't live closer.
post #30 of 81 Old 07-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Very interesting info. I wasn't aware that the really old 3D movies of the 50's used polarized glasses with clear lenses. So why is it that they switched to those red/blue type later on, which IMO ruined the colors of the film? And when did theaters start using polarized once again?

I would love to go to that 3-D Expo, but that's quite a distance from where I live. Too bad I don't live closer.
I don't remember ever using red/blue glasses in the theater in the1950's, only for comic books.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Lg Electronics 84lm9600 84 Inch Uhd 4k , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - 84lm9600 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page