Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Duluth July 4th fireworks in 3D

I shot this video with a remote controlled system I put together. The equipment was at my office building in Duluth Minnesota. I sent the live video to my House in Wisconsin via the internet in 720P side by side format for bandwidth reasons. We watched it live from our living room in 3D while I controlled the 3D equipment with my Iphone 5.
She enjoyed watching it live with me but I was too obsessed with controlling the cameras. Now that I finally edited the video and can watch it passively, I enjoy it.biggrin.gif

Did IQ's suddenly drop sharply while I was away?
I enjoy 3D in spite of HDMI 1.4!
Full screen only 3D doesn't cut it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is the rig used to shoot the fireworks video remotely.

post #3 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 32
In all honesty I just don't see the point! :O I mean, aside from the occasional telephone pole silhouette, there were no cues that I was watching 3D content. And the rapid flashing that a lot of the fireworks were doing made even the slightest sync disparity between cameras glaringly obvious.

Virtually identical results could have been achieved by using one camera feed duplicated to the opposite eye and shifted in parallax to look far away. Possibly better, because there would be perfect time sync. And the results/effort ratio would have been more proportionate.

I have to commend you for your time and effort and financial investment though. I apologize that I had to criticize the whole thing, but as an experiment it was invaluable for you and everyone else, and I thank you for sharing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #4 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate your comments even if they are negative as long as they are accurate which I am sure they are.
I can not really judge the quality because of poor eyesight.
My wife and I enjoyed it so that was enough.
There was no real financial investment other then a few hours of my time since all the equipment used is part of my business anyway.

One of the problems I had was that I had no idea where the fireworks were being launched from. If I had known ahead of time, I probably would have spaced the cameras a lot further apart for more 3D effect.

As far as camera sync is concerned, I am confident they were in sync within 1 frame throughout. The effect was possibly caused by some other variations between cameras.

post #5 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate your comments even if they are negative as long as they are accurate which I am sure they are.
I can not really judge the quality because of poor eyesight.
My wife and I enjoyed it so that was enough.
There was no real financial investment other then a few hours of my time since all the equipment used is part of my business anyway.
I didn't know that about your eyesight.

I'd be interested to see what fireworks would look like with a 10-20 foot interaxial.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post

As far as camera sync is concerned, I am confident they were in sync within 1 frame throughout. The effect was possibly caused by some other variations between cameras.
No, it's the sync, for sure. The most a 1/60 video will be out of sync is 1/120 of a second, but that's not good enough for fire or fireworks, particularly the ones that flicker rapidly after they explode. For most other content, sure it's fine, but not sports, fire, fast-moving stuff.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I still say the cameras were within a frame. I think the issue is that the shutter speed was set to 1/15 sec. This was causing lots of issues earlier. I almost changed it before I left the site and now wish I had.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, I just noticed the framerate. With all the cameras I've used, you can't set the shutter to anything lower than the framerate, or else it will reduce the framerate to equal the shutter speed.

I still think that if you had shot in 60p at at least 1/60 or faster shutter, it wouldn't have been enough to capture the pulsating fireworks in sync.

Those blinking fireworks flash really fast: (50 seconds in) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJA9OQZuOp4

post #9 of 14 Old 07-07-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The camcorders I used were Canon HF-M32s and do not allow any remote control other than record start/stop on/off and zoom in/out.
I am excited about the possibilities of the new camera I have coming in this week. (Canon G30) It has a built in web based interface that allows virtually complete control of all camera functions via a webpage including video live view.
By combining this with the LANC input I should be able to control 2 of these cameras including more or less synchronized recording and the all important synchronized zoom.
Will be testing it mid week.
cakefoo likes this.

post #10 of 14 Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Hi Frank- I see you are still experimenting with 3D. I thought we lost you to your other business endeavors. Hope that is going well for you.

Nice Jib rig. I am impressed at the lengths you go to shoot from remote. smile.gif

As for the video itself. What I see on first viewing is a serious error in physical camera alignment. I'd have to down load the video and then load it up in Vegas Pro but first glance shows the fireworks left and right severely horizontally separated. If you have the original left and right files you should be able to adjust the position of one of the frames and then crop to do a coarse alignment and then fine tune it in the 3D stereoscopic tool. You will need to make a keyframe for each focal length of the zoom as I saw you zooming at times. I have been down this road before and was able to salvage a misaligned camera for perfect 3D with this process in post. If you don't have the original separate files then I'm afraid you are SOL. When I do wide camera IA, I calibrate the cameras viewfinder cross hairs on a fully zoomed in object at great distance, then when zoomed out the recorded image is spot on for convergence. Usually this camera alignment is 200 to 500 feet away for 18" IA.

cakefoo there are some guys in Europe and China, I recall, who have done some hyper IA Fireworks using cameras spaced several hundred meters!

Check out this guy's work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGeOJ3TzIOU

I believe his cameras were 18 meters IA The fireworks can be seen with good spherical 3D as opposed to just flat even with our eyes.

This was my last attempt at shooting 3D fireworks about a year ago with wide stereobase of 18"IA. Notice I saw a camera misalignment that I detected using the Wells Fargo building sign. I adjusted the one camera so that sign was positioned in the viewfinder and after 2. minutes into the video things looked much better. I think the 3D depth of the explosions looked good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrBCAgxx5vI

Don Landis
post #11 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I created something I dubbed "TricycleCam" for shooting video of the tall ships this weekend.

Duluth Tall Ships in 3D

post #12 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hahaha, awesome.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I deleted the YouTube video referenced in the beginning of this thread because I realized I had screwed up the editing.
This is a new improved version
that is shorter and has more tall ships.
I also edited the version shot with one of the other cameras (Canon HF-G30) and am uploading a full res 60P version in case anyone is interested. (2D of course)
I will put a link to that in the camcorders section because of the interest in that section.
The tall ships are leaving today and I have been busy prepping my new improved version of TricicyleCam for this afternoons tall ship parade.

post #14 of 14 Old 08-09-2013, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am streaming live 3D with excellent results now using VLC with the resolution set to 1440 by 1080 side by side at 3.5 megabits per second.
I am viewing using Bino which allows me to view the live 3D in a window as well as full screen. This setting is the best I have found and results in little to no frames being dropped. I now find myself watching live 3D and 2D on my LG 3DTV simultaneously most of the time. (using SlingPlayer and WMC for TV in a window.
Very addictive I am afraid.wink.gif

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page