Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 47 Old 08-05-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I didn't see this one coming:

Predator (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Predator-Blu-ray-3D-Arnold-Schwarzenegger/dp/B00E5Z13UW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375733558&sr=8-1&keywords=predator+3d+blu+ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 08-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 10
Yup.

It was announced at ComicCon this year.

See article here: http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/537415-comic-con-2013-weve-seen-predator-in-3d

I soooo want the Predator head version!
post #3 of 47 Old 08-05-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I don't really see this one being very good. The sheer amount of vegetation throughout the movie is a 3D tech's worst nightmare. I don't think the depth is going to be anywhere near where it needs to be. Something like this almost has to be native 3D to work at all.

That, and I don't really see 3D benefiting the film at all.. it just isn't shot that way.

This one just screams "cash grab". Probably going to skip.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #4 of 47 Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I might not buy it, but I will certainly rent it. Now let's see Aliens in 3D!
post #5 of 47 Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I have no problem with a studio doing 3D post-conversions on catalog movies but Fox could definitely give more thought to what movies get the 3D treatment. Predator would seem like a problematic title. Between relatively poor film stock used, the flat cinematography, dense scenery and a main adversary that isn't even really seen until the final act, I just don't see how adding 3D would improve this movie at all.

There are much better candidates in the Fox catalog. Aliens would probably look good in 3D. The first two Planet of the Apes films would be good candidates as well as the relatively static camera angles and sprawling vistas would probably benefit from a conversion (they are some of the better looking movies with my TV's 2D>3D function).
post #6 of 47 Old 08-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm just happy to see they are doing conversions. I haven't been to impressed with the selection of 3D titles out there compared to regular movies. At my video store they have about 20 3ds (most popular from the last few years). So besides renting a few, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of content. I can see why people aren't buying into 3d quickly, when there's hardly anything out there.
post #7 of 47 Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
About the only BDs I buy are the big blockbusters (which are usually 3D these days), and my favorite catalog releases, most of which are 2D. And the big 3D releases only happen a few times throughout the year, so it's been kind of a drought so far this year (I think the last one I bought was Jurassic Park).. I'll end up with a big rush of them around the holidays, I'm sure.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #8 of 47 Old 08-12-2013, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm sure the conversion on this title will be on par with the conversion 20th did on I,Robot. That movie was converted using JVC Kenwood’s 2D3D workstation. One of the benefits of this system when compared with other conversion techniques, according to Fox SVP of Advanced Technology Ian Harvey, is that it allows for faster conversion by minimizing manual rotoscoping or paint work, which in turn can cut costs considerably. Estimates for 3D conversation have ranged from anywhere from $30,000 to $100,000 per minute in the past, which would considerably add to the budget of any movie project; Harvey won’t be drawn on the cost of the JVC system, but will admit that it is “less than other techniques” that Fox has previously considered.

What it seems to be is some kind of automated 2D to 3D system that is run and then tweeked by real humans. I thought I,Robot was just a fair conversion and not up to the standard seen on humanly supervised conversions like Jurassic Park and Top Gun. The JVC system conversion is cut rate and looks it, although it is still interesting and I will give it a chance. To bad 20th doesn't spend the money to do it right as in the afore mentioned films.
post #9 of 47 Old 08-12-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, I didn't think I Robot was that bad--just that they could have picked a better movie to convert.
post #10 of 47 Old 08-13-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought I Robot was a pretty decent conversion with some effective shots that elicited a nice sense of depth. It has been a good year since it was released and I'd hope that the conversion software has been improved further in the time since. I also think part of the problem with a lot of conversions (and even many native films) is that the filmmakers go too conservative with the depth and pop cues, trying to go for a "natural" feel instead of really getting aggressive. Especially with conversions like this, I see no point in a conservative conversion that barely pushes the depth beyond what we got in the original 2D release.
SFMike likes this.
post #11 of 47 Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 PM

Liked: 18
Predator was so cheesy it was heart clogging, but I loved it! Arnold at his best. If the conversion is halfway decent I'll probably pick it up. I hope they don't vasaline the lens on the 3D version.
post #12 of 47 Old 08-14-2013, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I thought I Robot was a pretty decent conversion with some effective shots that elicited a nice sense of depth. It has been a good year since it was released and I'd hope that the conversion software has been improved further in the time since. I also think part of the problem with a lot of conversions (and even many native films) is that the filmmakers go too conservative with the depth and pop cues, trying to go for a "natural" feel instead of really getting aggressive. Especially with conversions like this, I see no point in a conservative conversion that barely pushes the depth beyond what we got in the original 2D release.

The I, Robot conversion suffers badly from "pop-up book effect," where it looks like a series of flat images layered in front of one another with little to no roundness to the planes.
SFMike likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #13 of 47 Old 08-16-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 47
I couldn't agree more. Its a pretty hopeless conversion.

And frankly it bothers me when I hear studio reps singing the praises of automated conversion processes that "so say" reduce or do away with manual rotoscoping because it tells me they want to spend as little time and money as possible when all the best conversions have proved that doing it properly frame by frame over a good 9 to 12 month period using expert artists is the only way to get a decent result, at present anyway.

Cost cutting really means spending as little as possible and milking the public by trying to flog more mediocre 3D whilst people are still naïve enough to pay for these sub par rushed conversions. Studios never learn until they destroy the very goose that could have continued laying the golden egg and then of course its too late!
post #14 of 47 Old 08-16-2013, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree to a point. The 3D conversion process is still progressing and has not reached it's price/performance point yet. Unfortunately, native 3D has, and it's too expensive for studios to take a flyer on. That said, we should all frankly be on the conversion bandwagon, as it will be the only 3D game in town in a couple of years. Yes it's a bastard's paradise, but it will be the only way 3D will survive and, as a bonus, all the classics can be converted, and wow, I'd like that, especially after seeing Titanic.
post #15 of 47 Old 08-19-2013, 05:59 AM

Liked: 47
I don't think that's the case at all. Directors like James Cameron, Stephen Spielberg, Peter Jackson, Martin Scorsese, Ridley Scott and Ang Lee are all firm Native 3D supporters and know how to get the best out of the technology in their movies. They have a lot of clout in the movie industry and as long as they want to make movies using Native 3D the studios will allow them to do so. It doesn't double the production costs after all but can significantly increase box office receipts so done properly good 3D is a real earner.

Even though 3D receipts have dropped off compared to what they were when Avatar was released, they still pull in a respectable number of punters and I don't see that any gamble is taking place where native 3D is concerned. If the movie is good, making it in 3D and using the technology creatively can only improve the profitability of a film.

Its poor 3D or poor presentation that harms 3D not decent native 3D and this is what the industry is taking its time realising. I suspect the majority of us 3D fans that have our own 3D HT systems would say that most of the time we get a better 3D presentation in our own homes than we get at a theatre and that is what needs to change!
post #16 of 47 Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 PM

Liked: 14
hey,
I will let you guys and gals know how this turns out as I preordered this, wooooot biggrin.gif

cant wait to see this on my new 80" M Series 3D TV smile.gif
post #17 of 47 Old 12-03-2013, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Heads up, cheap pre-order at Wal-Mart right now. Spare me the WM hate, its a good price. And at least with this one the original is 1.85:1, so they won't be cropping like with I, Robot.
Deepsky4565 likes this.

Matt
post #18 of 47 Old 12-03-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by turls View Post

Heads up, cheap pre-order at Wal-Mart right now. Spare me the WM hate, its a good price. And at least with this one the original is 1.85:1, so they won't be cropping like with I, Robot.

Thanks for the tip, ordered mine this afternoon. Now I hope it's a decent conversion.wink.gif At least I'm not out a lot of $$$ if it's not.

Ed
post #19 of 47 Old 12-03-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone looking for a direct link to the Walmart.com page, here it is:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Predator-3D-Blu-ray-Widescreen/30087496

I wasn't aware that the release date for this one was so close at hand (December 17); look forward to reading some impressions on the conversion.
Deepsky4565 likes this.
post #20 of 47 Old 12-09-2013, 05:29 PM

From the looks of it, the 3D isn't great. Definitely nothing like Titanic or Jurassic Park. Maybe not as abysmal as the Running Man but not far from it.
post #21 of 47 Old 12-10-2013, 05:54 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterpack View Post

From the looks of it, the 3D isn't great. Definitely nothing like Titanic or Jurassic Park. Maybe not as abysmal as the Running Man but not far from it.

Where are you seeing reviews, it doesn't come out for another 6 days. I did find a couple from around Comic-con time where some got an advanced copy and it was supposedly impressive in those reports.

I'm considering it, 15 bucks is more affordable than a lot of the other 3d flix out there.
old corps likes this.
post #22 of 47 Old 12-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Can't wait to find out. I found the regular blu ray to look pretty good, much better than I expected, so I'm sure this one won't disappoint, especially at the price point. It seems that post conversions are getting better, and wasn't the running man from Germany or something? They may not have had a big budget to convert it.
post #23 of 47 Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 69
I would wager that it will be like irobot and jumper, in other words the 3d will be bad.
post #24 of 47 Old 12-13-2013, 04:39 AM

I've watched the whole movie now in 3D

Great movie ! has held up well

There are some great 3D scenes in the jungle where the 3D really stands out. Overall the depth of the movie isn't bad, fluctuates from ok to very good. Very little pop outs, virtually none

The computer generated scenes (the ones where you see the world through the eyes of the predator) are very poor, no 3D in them at all. I actually think with today's technology, they could have redone all of those scenes from scratch. They look like they were done on a commodore 64

Still the new print is nice and clear

Movie 9/10
3D 6.4/10
post #25 of 47 Old 12-13-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are some great 3D scenes in the jungle where the 3D really stands out. Overall the depth of the movie isn't bad, fluctuates from ok to very good. Very little pop outs, virtually none

The computer generated scenes (the ones where you see the world through the eyes of the predator) are very poor, no 3D in them at all. I actually think with today's technology, they could have redone all of those scenes from scratch. They look like they were done on a commodore 64

Movie 9/10
3D 6.4/10

thanks for the review Peter! I have mine preordered, glad to hear it wasn't a shoddy effort.

quick question - is there a 2d version on the disc?
post #26 of 47 Old 12-13-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

thanks for the review Peter! I have mine preordered, glad to hear it wasn't a shoddy effort.

quick question - is there a 2d version on the disc?

hey mate, yes there is
post #27 of 47 Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hey mate, yes there is

thanks! i'll compare it to the "ultimate hunter's edition" to see if it's the same 2d transfer
post #28 of 47 Old 12-14-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:

Movie 9/10
3D 6.4/10

The movie was filmed in the mid 1980's. It's effects were good enough to get it an Academy Award nomination.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #29 of 47 Old 12-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The movie was filmed in the mid 1980's. It's effects were good enough to get it an Academy Award nomination.

Yeah the Predator make up effects and the predator camoflague effects are still very good, it is just then computer images of the world seen by the predator (heat signatures etc) which doesn't look too flash
post #30 of 47 Old 12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I think he understands that, he makes a good point they could have redone the specific scenes he describes and done some cool 3D effects, although that is a can of worms to mess with the original.

Matt
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Predator Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page