BluRay 3D and 2D versions of the movie on same disk / RIP / File structure. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-14-2013, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I would like to finally understand how this file structure and BluRay works.

I am looking at iso of BluRay disk of World War Z that include both 3D and 2D versions as well as DTS-HD and Regular DTS streams. So here are files that I see. In my understanding actual movie files are located in BDMV-->STREAM folder and in most cases you'll see .m2ts file that is huge like 30GB well that's your movie right there. Now my disk include 2 version one regular one 3D. Inside STREAM folder I see 2 files, one 00000.m2ts that 30.3GB and another one 00001.m2ts that's 9.33GB. Also inside STREAM folder I see SSIF Folder that have only 1 file inside 00000.ssif now this file is 39.6GB.

So here are confusion that I have. 1 how come total space of the FOLDERS (I mounted ISO) is almost 80GB (79.2GB), yet if I do right click properties on mounted drive I'll see normal 39.6GB.

2. I am trying to identify movie in 3D, I know 00000.m2ts is regular 2D version I can just open this file in VLC and it just works, but where is 3D version. I tried to open 00001.m2ts and it don't work like that, does this means that something like PoverDVD somehow knows that this is 3D version and it combine 00000.m2ts and 00001.m2ts and then show me SBS 3D version ? And also what's with this SSIF file, because if you add 00001 + 00002 files you'll have EXACT 39.63GB and that exactly the size of this 00000.ssif file. And I guess this 00000.ssif IS the 3D version of the movie. (I am using DVDFab virtual disk utility to mount iso)

Please may be I wrote this post a little confusing but I really confused on file structure and how this 3D/2D on same disk works. It almost looks like it's a 2D version yet if you want 3D it takes 2D version then add more data and TADA you have yourself a 3D variant.I'd expect 2 separate files that will have one 3D and another 2D version of the movie but I guess i'd take a lot more space and quality would drop.

If possible explain this thngs for me or may be a web resource about this. Thank you !
Reply 3D Content