The Wizard of OZ in IMAX 3D is Amazing! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
We went to see the 75th anniversary re-release of The Wizard of OZ in IMAX 3D. Wow...what a great restoration and even better conversion into 3D. The IMAX image was so bright and colorful that is was hard to believe the movie was so old. This film (and Titanic) should also put to rest the idea that 2D to 3D film conversions do not work well. Warner Brothers and Prime Focus have done a masterful job in bringing this project to us in truly stunning 3D. You can really see how every shot was thought out and beautifully dimensionalized. No corners were cut here. If this is one of your favorite movies you owe to yourself to catch this "one week only" showing at your local IMAX theater. And, I can't wait to add the Blu-ray 3D to my collection.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-22-2013, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Thanks for the report. You see that at the AMC on Van Ness?

post #3 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Yes, that's where I took the picture. I was disappointed that it was'nt showing of the BIG IMAX screen at the Metreon but was quite pleased at the brightness and image quality at the Van Ness "mini" IMAX.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any news on when this is coming out on BD 3D? My wife is an OZ fanatic.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Any news on when this is coming out on BD 3D? My wife is an OZ fanatic.

October 1 according to Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wizard-Oz-Anniversary-UltraViolet/dp/B00CNW9Z6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379977504&sr=8-1&keywords=wizard+of+oz+3d
post #6 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I saw this as well and the 3D is really fantastic, as someone who was staunchly opposed to conversions they really are getting much better. The cool thing about the 3D is that many of the obvious painted backdrops now have actual depth to them and it really helps to sell the idea that she's traveling through a real place as opposed to sound stage. I mean, it still looks like a sound stage but it's really nice to see the hills retreating off into the distance.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Now I have to decide if I want to pay the studio the "double dip", since I bought the (70th anniversary?) Bluray Box set.

I am relieved that they did a good job on the 3D conversion. The time and effort they put into the Bluray conversion was incredible... I was hoping for a similar effort on the 3D conversion.
Titanic was great, Top Gun and Jurassic Park were alright, but Oz is a classic, and if the conversion was poorly done, it could have been a huge set back for all the gains 3D has experienced over the last 3 years.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Now I have to decide if I want to pay the studio the "double dip", since I bought the (70th anniversary?) Bluray Box set.

I am relieved that they did a good job on the 3D conversion. The time and effort they put into the Bluray conversion was incredible... I was hoping for a similar effort on the 3D conversion.
Titanic was great, Top Gun and Jurassic Park were alright, but Oz is a classic, and if the conversion was poorly done, it could have been a huge set back for all the gains 3D has experienced over the last 3 years.

It could be terrible and it wouldn't matter all that much. It certainly wouldn't set 3d back much if at all, that 'award' goes to films like Clash of the Titans and Conan. Oz had a small theatrical release and a 3d blu-ray release, the damage a poor conversion could do is rather minimal. Hopefully it is good as I have been hearing it is.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I saw this at the local IMAX. The top of the picture frame was projected off the top of the screen. Other than that I thought it was great.
In much of the the movie the characters are actually in front of the screen. Some times an object out front will break the frame which kills the 3d but overall it's a great conversion, IMNSHO.
I did notice a shift in the background vs foreground when they were outside the Emerald City gate but that's the only problem I've seen so far.

td
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page