Iron Man 3 - Why doesn't Paramount promote 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just brought home my 3D copy of Iron Man 3. While checking prices at two different big boxes I was struck by the lack of interest the Paramount marketing department had in differentiating the 3D version of the film from the 3 or 4 other versions out on the racks. Here is the most expensive version for purchase and its clothed in the least interesting cover art with only small "Blu-ray 3D" lettering along the top. Where is a big eye catching 3D branding next to the title. It's like they are very embarrassed that they have released the film in 3D. I like the 3D lenticular covers to set off the Blu-ray 3D titles from the rest.

I think this is another example of the industry's current disregard for 3D in general for theatrical and home viewing. They see 7% of sales going to Blu-ray 3D and our corporate masters say why bother. This plays right in to the almost total lack of promotion for 3D enabled TVs even though most of the higher end sets are equipped and that there is more excellent content out there then ever before. Without promotion the sales figures stay low and the suits have an excuse to stop releasing a 3D Blu-ray version. It's that simple. Even if a person might consider picking up the title in 3D they have made finding it difficult to ensure low sales. I really enjoy my home 3D viewing and I'm sad to see what could be the beginning of the end of this round of the Avatar inspired 3D revival of the early 21st century. Unless someone starts promoting 3D again I see our home content dribbling away to nothing.

I admit the shiny part on the cover is nice but where is the big 3D logo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

Just brought home my 3D copy of Iron Man 3. While checking prices at two different big boxes I was struck by the lack of interest the Paramount marketing department had in differentiating the 3D version of the film from the 3 or 4 other versions out on the racks. Here is the most expensive version for purchase and its clothed in the least interesting cover art with only small "Blu-ray 3D" lettering along the top. Where is a big eye catching 3D branding next to the title. It's like they are very embarrassed that they have released the film in 3D. I like the 3D lenticular covers to set off the Blu-ray 3D titles from the rest.

I think this is another example of the industry's current disregard for 3D in general for theatrical and home viewing. They see 7% of sales going to Blu-ray 3D and our corporate masters say why bother. This plays right in to the almost total lack of promotion for 3D enabled TVs even though most of the higher end sets are equipped and that there is more excellent content out there then ever before. Without promotion the sales figures stay low and the suits have an excuse to stop releasing a 3D Blu-ray version. It's that simple. Even if a person might consider picking up the title in 3D they have made finding it difficult to ensure low sales. I really enjoy my home 3D viewing and I'm sad to see what could be the beginning of the end of this round of the Avatar inspired 3D revival of the early 21st century. Unless someone starts promoting 3D again I see our home content dribbling away to nothing.

I think you're reading too much into this. I doubt they're embarrassed that they released the movie in 3D. People that don't own a 3D capable display most likely won't purchase a 3D copy due to marketing. People that own a 3D display are well aware of the movies being released in 3D and probably place more importance on the price. I purchase movies I want the first week when released as the price is where I think it should be. I will not pay more than $25 or $26 for a movie. I would have bought this movie had it not been $33. I've seen it in the theater and will wait a month or 2 and buy it for $20. 3D has been out long enough for consumers to know what display they have and know which movies they want. I've grown tired of local stations still commenting on the fact that they broadcast in HD. Do we still need it brought to our attention that most programming that people watch is HD?

Call me cheap, but I can't imagine consumers paying $35 or more for a movie.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

While I pretty much agree with you, I also think part of the problem is that the 3D in movies like Iron Man 3 is all but an afterthought that adds next to nothing to the experience, so it almost seems somewhat pointless to tout that feature. IM3 was one of the worst 3D experiences I had and I haven't even bothered to pick up the BluRay.

For far too many movies, 3D has become a late add-on in the hopes of grabbing a few extra bucks instead of an integral part of the experience, and the marketing seems to reflect that more and more. Its almost as if the studios know they're putting out an inferior product and are resigning themselves to the fact that the people who really want the 3D version of a given movie will buy it whether its marketed properly or not.

One of the keys to successful 3D sales for the home is better films designed with 3D in mind for the movie theater. Gravity, for example, is shaping up to be a film that really MUST be seen in 3D to get the full experience that the director intended. If the movie-going audience gets that and responds to it and supports it via ticket sales then I'm sure the corresponding home 3D release will similarly promote the 3D.

Sadly, for every Gravity, we get 20 Iron Man 3's and that kind of cynical cash grab is what is killing 3D and trickling down to the low key home video 3D promotion.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-25-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Depends on how they market it, as to how many people they're going to piss off.

A really good example was Prometheus. The 3D version was the most expensive, and it was also the only version to include all the bonus features. That pissed a LOT of people off. There were two ways to look at the release: 1) The Special Edition contains the 3D version as an extra feature, or 2) Everyone is being "forced" to buy the 3D version for all that extra money in order to get the special features. Most consumers viewed it as #2, mostly due to the way Fox marketed that one as the "3D Release". In reality, it was more like #1, and they would have caught a hell of a lot less flak about it if they'd marketed it that way instead.

And, as Ferl said, most people these days know about the 3D version anyway... those of us with the capability are going to buy that version regardless of how they market it, and the distributors know it.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-26-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
If you buy a Blu-ray you should almost always just buy the 3D version. If you don't want the 3D disk sell it on eBay and recoup at least half your money. The cost of most 3D BDs has actually gone UP a fair amount, meaning there is increased demand. I just don't know that its enough.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

While I pretty much agree with you, I also think part of the problem is that the 3D in movies like Iron Man 3 is all but an afterthought that adds next to nothing to the experience, so it almost seems somewhat pointless to tout that feature. IM3 was one of the worst 3D experiences I had and I haven't even bothered to pick up the BluRay.

For far too many movies, 3D has become a late add-on in the hopes of grabbing a few extra bucks instead of an integral part of the experience, and the marketing seems to reflect that more and more. Its almost as if the studios know they're putting out an inferior product and are resigning themselves to the fact that the people who really want the 3D version of a given movie will buy it whether its marketed properly or not.

One of the keys to successful 3D sales for the home is better films designed with 3D in mind for the movie theater. Gravity, for example, is shaping up to be a film that really MUST be seen in 3D to get the full experience that the director intended. If the movie-going audience gets that and responds to it and supports it via ticket sales then I'm sure the corresponding home 3D release will similarly promote the 3D.

Sadly, for every Gravity, we get 20 Iron Man 3's and that kind of cynical cash grab is what is killing 3D and trickling down to the low key home video 3D promotion.
I appreciate that the manufacturers are not over selling stuff not shot in 3D. Which is almost everything. There's a small niche market for stuff like Dredd and 3D driven features. It's small and sustains healthy profit margins so I don't think it's going to change. Besides, If Studios provide too much easy access to good 3D content and they would probably get sued by folks who cause themselves migraines trying to watch it all. It seems like game companies are not really pushing it either.

Yup. The quote above my post Nailed it^^

I would add that this cash grab mentality infiltrates the whole movie industry. 3D or not. So many movies being marketed as blockbusters actually turn out to resolve around a singular set piece and have very little of the action they heavily promoted. I think Gravity will be all about Bullock and Clooney carrying the film on one spectacular set piece with some flash back fill ins. We have probably all already seen the extent of the gnarly space footage in that movie.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page