post #3331 of 3337 Old 09-09-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
My OLED has made my interest in 3D skyrocket due to the exceptional performance it delivers. That being said, I worry that eventually there will be NO way to play my 3D library of titles at some point when my 65" OLED either gives out or I feel the need to upgrade. That won't be anytime soon, I hope, but it is a cloud hanging over everyone's 3D picnic so to speak. To me, certain titles are no brainer 3D purchases like good nature documentaries, sci-fi, good action flicks, etc.

So the dilemma is that I'm scared in a way to buy the 3D versions of these newer films over the 4K version only because down the road I don't want to be stuck with discs I can't play and/or only have the standard bluray version. I'll feel compelled to rebuy them in 4K. Ugh. This is why I'm so mad that there aren't more combo packs offered where you get the 4K, 3D, and bluray version in one disc set. Those are the best of all worlds.

We shall see how this plays out but it's still nerve racking. I hope and pray LG gets back to 3D at least as an option on their high end sets since their implementation is literally perfect. Damnit!
You'll likely always have the option of viewing 3D with a good old DLP projector IMO, so consider that.
RoadLizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3337 Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked: 966
The four year anniversary is coming up for this thread -- 3D wasn't "about dead" four years ago but is definitely struggling now. Here's hoping it survives long enough for everyone to wake up and realize what a waste of time, expense and how overhyped 4K HDR actually is - properly set up 3D is soooo much better (IMO).
post #3333 of 3337 Old 09-14-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist_To_Resist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioQuestions View Post
So where am I wrong?
In several aspects, saying that 3D is dead because studios are not filming in 3D.
There are plenty great 3D movies that were not shot in 3D.
3D cameras are not required as there is proof that 3D in post can be just as good as shooting in 3D.

Also you saying that 3D is giving you muddy dark picture, well having moved to a 3D OLED TV this is a non issue.
The OLED E6P from LG is the pinnacle of passive 3D technology, it looks amazing, a 1000% improvement over my previous 3D televisions.
Also with modern LG TVs you can calibrate the input source with several separate ways, 3D, 2D, and HDR these can and so all have individual picture/brightness settings.
UHD 3D screens are great for 3D as you no longer receive half the resolution as some like to think.
So your dark and muddy point is moot.

I suggest getting or calibrating your set.
Professional calibrators calibrate each signal separately for this purpose.
They set the glasses in front of the calibration unit so they can compensate for your "dark and muddy" picture as you put it.
Exactly. They are encoded at a brighter rate to compensate. So of course it will appear brighter when you remove the glasses, but that doesn't mean that is how it's supposed to appear. The glasses are a "correction" and not a dimming, per se.

post #3334 of 3337 Old 09-17-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
The four year anniversary is coming up for this thread -- 3D wasn't "about dead" four years ago but is definitely struggling now. Here's hoping it survives long enough for everyone to wake up and realize what a waste of time, expense and how overhyped 4K HDR actually is - properly set up 3D is soooo much better (IMO).
Disagree. Give me 4K HDR 3D now!
aaronwt and Frank714 like this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #3335 of 3337 Old 09-18-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Here's hoping it survives long enough for everyone to wake up and realize what a waste of time, expense and how overhyped 4K HDR actually is - properly set up 3D is soooo much better (IMO).

I was going to keep my Optoma HD 83(00) as a 3D projector anyway, unfortunately I'm missing approx. 10 vertical pixels in the center of the image (the other halfs converge in the center) but my friend will see if he can fix that (a very skilled electrotechnician).

If he can't I'll give 4K a pass and probably sidestep towards a Vivitek H1188. Anyway, there are not yet enough 4K UHD titles I'm interested in, on the other side there is plenty of 3D content I still want to watch and experience.

"It is only about things that do not interest one that one can give a really unbiased opinion, which is no doubt the reason why an unbiased opinion is always absolutely valueless." Oscar Wilde
post #3336 of 3337 Old 09-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
Disagree. Give me 4K HDR 3D now!
I would be OK with HD 3D HDR.

HDR looks great, even in 1080p. I wish the industry would drop this idiotic marketing scheme of tying HDR to UHD, there is no need for that. This would make the proliferation of HDR much easier, since the bandwidth hit is minimal compared to SDR, and we can have 3D with great colors!
dew42 likes this.
post #3337 of 3337 Old 09-18-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabaeus View Post
I would be OK with HD 3D HDR.

HDR looks great, even in 1080p. I wish the industry would drop this idiotic marketing scheme of tying HDR to UHD, there is no need for that. This would make the proliferation of HDR much easier, since the bandwidth hit is minimal compared to SDR, and we can have 3D with great colors!
Great point and I agree. ALL content can benefit from expanding the dynamic range of the image. Bring it on. Please!

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
blu-ray 3d , gearvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page