post #391 of 418 Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Aren't most movies converted from 2D to 3D instead of being shot in 3D?
It's shifting. Most of the 3D films being released in 2014 are native.

http://realorfake3d.com/
superleo likes this.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 418 Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by aaronwt 

Aren't most movies converted from 2D to 3D instead of being shot in 3D?

It's shifting. Most of the 3D films being released in 2014 are native.

http://realorfake3d.com/
WoW! I would have never guessed that X-Men: Days of Future Past was a Native 3D movie.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #393 of 418 Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
WoW! I would have never guessed that X-Men: Days of Future Past was a Native 3D movie.
Yes it is sad how many of the natively filmed 3D movies have the 3D effect "dialed back" to the point that they end up looking like a conversion. I feel this is one of the major things hurting 3D movie production today, director apathy when shooting in 3D. It seems so many of them can't be bothered to think how they can optimize the 3D presentation and just do the "same old" job in setting up shots. That's why I'm not against a good conversion, as its most likely going to be as good or better than a lack luster natively shot film.
post #394 of 418 Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post
Yes it is sad how many of the natively filmed 3D movies have the 3D effect "dialed back" to the point that they end up looking like a conversion. I feel this is one of the major things hurting 3D movie production today, director apathy when shooting in 3D. It seems so many of them can't be bothered to think how they can optimize the 3D presentation and just do the "same old" job in setting up shots. That's why I'm not against a good conversion, as its most likely going to be as good or better than a lack luster natively shot film.
You can have a conversion that has enormous pop-out. The two issues are distinct.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #395 of 418 Old 06-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
You can have a conversion that has enormous pop-out. The two issues are distinct.
Right....At this point in time you can get out of a conversion almost whatever you creatively want to. That's why I feel coversions shouldn't be considered the ugly stepchild of a navtive production. It's the lack of creative will of the filmakers in using 3D effectively. Or the will to write good scripts..ect.
post #396 of 418 Old 06-17-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 82
VARIETY June 17

3D Stages a Revival (Again)

3D may have staged yet another revival.

Last summer, the premium format went from sizzle to fizzle, with most audience members opting not to don the tinted specs for the likes of “Turbo,” “The Wolverine” and “World War Z.”

What a difference an Oscar-winning space epic makes.

Analysts and exhibitors credit “Gravity” with making 3D cool again, and in recent months the format’s box office contribution has increased.

“You can’t overlook ‘Gravity’s’ impact,” said Eric Wold, an analyst with B. Riley & Co. “All it takes is one good movie to spark consumer interest. ‘Gravity’ doing what it did got people to think about 3D differently, and it got some people to come back after having a bad experience.”

“It changed the mindset,” said James Goss, managing director of research at Barrington Research Associates. “Studios and RealD and theater operators are now looking for movies that play well in 3D and that are enhanced by it instead of just making everything in 3D.”

Films such as “Edge of Tomorrow” and “Godzilla” didn’t match “Gravity’s” 80% 3D take — but they racked up roughly half of their opening weekends from 3D screenings, while “The Amazing Spider-Man 2″ brought in 43% of its debut haul from 3D engagements. That’s in sharp relief to the 34% market share “World War Z” carved out from the format in its initial frame or the 30% “The Wolverine” earned from 3D in its first weekend of release.

Also brightening the picture — directors such as Gareth Edwards (“Godzilla”) and Marc Webb (“The Amazing Spider-Man 2”) have urged fans to see their films in 3D, while advertising campaigns for major summer movies have urged ticket-buyers to spring for the premium format.

“When a studio sets the tone that a film is meant to be seen in 3D, moviegoers respond,” said Michael Lewis, chairman and CEO of the 3D provider RealD. “Filmmaker endorsements are an especially powerful tool. When a filmmaker explains how they envisioned the film in 3D and the benefits of seeing the film in 3D, moviegoers have better context when buying tickets.”

For studios and exhibitors, a higher 3D share equates to millions of dollars in incremental box office because those tickets carry a healthy surcharge. Central to the format’s improved fortunes has been a more fervent embrace by theater owners, who are offering more 3D showings and have become more willing to pair it with other premium large screen formats such as Imax.

That required an attitude adjustment throughout the industry.

“We all took 3D for granted,” said Cinemark CEO Tim Warner. “The studios made them in 3D, but they didn’t sell them in 3D. The exhibitors just said, ‘If people want to see them in 3D, fine. If they don’t, fine.’ So we didn’t market them either. We all saw that ‘Hey, here’s something that has really become about 20 percent of our box office, and if it goes away, none of us really has an idea to replace it.’”

Now things have changed, he argued.

“If they’re going to make a movie in 3D and market it, we’re going to show it in 3D, and we’re not going to take it for granted,” Warner said.

Of course, not everything has worked. Family films such as “How to Train Your Dragon 2″ (32% 3D market share) and “Maleficent” (21% 3D market share) have given ticket-buyers sticker shock, showing that the format is not the preferred choice for the price-conscious or customers bearing children.

post #397 of 418 Old 06-17-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^The link for that is here:

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/bo...in-1201220911/

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #398 of 418 Old 06-17-2014, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Gravity succeeded because in addition to being great eye candy, the cinematographer and director were masters of storytelling, and they made a great film period. There is an intelligent audience out there who loves a good film first, and only wants 3D if it enhances the story. Make more of those kinds of films and you'll see 3D perception improve immensely.

That's not to say action movies can't be good in 3D-- Avatar is one of the exceptions because it was conceived as a 3D film all the way through, and Cameron knew what he was doing. Not conceiving a film for 3D, or not knowing what you're doing, will yield mixed results.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #399 of 418 Old 06-18-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Also brightening the picture — directors such as Gareth Edwards (“Godzilla”) and Marc Webb (“The Amazing Spider-Man 2”) have urged fans to see their films in 3D,
That's funny, because Seamus McGarvey, the cinematographer of Godzilla, has urged fans to see the film in 2D.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/godzill...e-godzilla-3d/

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #400 of 418 Old 06-18-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
That's funny, because Seamus McGarvey, the cinematographer of Godzilla, has urged fans to see the film in 2D.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/godzill...e-godzilla-3d/
One of his reasons for disliking 3D is also based on old tech...

"... Each lens change was 45 minutes, it was a disaster to align the cameras up..."

I know with the new Digital IMAX 3D cameras this is not the case any more.

then he later says "..It's just not fun in cinema, and I always get a headache when I watch a 3D movie. Everything seems fuzzier..."

I don't know what 3D cinemas he is watching in, but the last few 3D movies I have seen have looked extremely sharp and crisp.
Headaches, well that is the case with a certain percentage of people. I'm not one of them and even my 80 year old dad and my GFs 89 year old mother has no problem watching 3D.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-18-2014 at 02:13 PM.
post #401 of 418 Old 06-18-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
His reasoning basically boils down to "just because", and I refuse to pay any attention to people like that.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mister Anderson.
post #402 of 418 Old 06-18-2014, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I think 3D is definitely here to stay. Movie makers have been trying for decades to get it right, but the technological know-how was lacking to say the least. Not true any longer, and 3D paired with the right type of movie just brings the viewer to a whole new level of movie-watching experience. True for certain documentaries too.

The new 4K format benefits the 3D format tremendously, and in the near future you'll see bigger screens the norm and big advancements in 3D to match. Now I realize there's been a love/hate relationship in regards to 3D. Some love it, some hate it, and some undecided. Certain movies & subjects do not lend themselves well to the benefits of 3D, and by converting these mis-matched films from 2D to 3D, causes some folks to want to chuck the whole format. I love 3D, but know that I'm highly selective to which films to watch in this manner. At home, I really enjoy the active shutter glasses vs those el-cheapo throwaways at the theater. Still, I do enjoy 3D in the theater too because of huge screen, excellent sound and 4K projectors.

Quick note. Amazon announced today it is releasing it's new 3D Amazon Fire smartphone. Now you can have 3D on the go!
post #403 of 418 Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Quick note. Amazon announced today it is releasing it's new 3D Amazon Fire smartphone. Now you can have 3D on the go!
Amazon's "Dynamic perspective" isn't 3D in the traditional sense. It's just a redrawing of the display based upon the angle of the phone. It's still a 2D display AFAICT.

post #404 of 418 Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Amazon's "Dynamic perspective" isn't 3D in the traditional sense. It's just a redrawing of the display based upon the angle of the phone. It's still a 2D display AFAICT.
Oh well....given time. Thanks for the info.
post #405 of 418 Old 06-19-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi2016 View Post
His reasoning basically boils down to "just because", and I refuse to pay any attention to people like that.
Whether you agree with his opinion on 3D or not, the man actually shot the movie, and he's outright saying that he did not plan for or make any accommodations for 3D at all. He shot Godzilla as a 2D movie and told the people in post to do whatever the studio needed them to do, then walked away.

While 3D conversions can be very good these days, good 3D requires a completely different cinematic language that starts with active planning in the shot compositions and editing. McGarvey says that when he shot The Avengers, they had stereographers on set to advise with that. He found the process a tremendous pain in the neck and didn't want to work that way again, so there were no stereographers on set during Godzilla and he gave no thought to 3D at all.

Far too many recent 3D movies are shot as 2D movies, with too many tight close-ups, shallow depth of field, shaky-cam and quick-cut editing - none of which is conducive to good 3D. You might get an isolated shot here or there that happens to look good in 3D, but the overall viewing experience is visually confusing and fatiguing to watch. I'm talking about movies like Star Trek into Darkness, World War Z, Man of Steel, G.I. Joe: Retaliation and numerous others. These movies are best watched in 2D, even though 3D versions are available.
Rudy1 likes this.

Josh Z

post #406 of 418 Old 06-19-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Whether you agree with his opinion on 3D or not, the man actually shot the movie, and he's outright saying that he did not plan for or make any accommodations for 3D at all. He shot Godzilla as a 2D movie and told the people in post to do whatever the studio needed them to do, then walked away.

While 3D conversions can be very good these days, good 3D requires a completely different cinematic language that starts with active planning in the shot compositions and editing. McGarvey says that when he shot The Avengers, they had stereographers on set to advise with that. He found the process a tremendous pain in the neck and didn't want to work that way again, so there were no stereographers on set during Godzilla and he gave no thought to 3D at all.

Far too many recent 3D movies are shot as 2D movies, with too many tight close-ups, shallow depth of field, shaky-cam and quick-cut editing - none of which is conducive to good 3D. You might get an isolated shot here or there that happens to look good in 3D, but the overall viewing experience is visually confusing and fatiguing to watch. I'm talking about movies like Star Trek into Darkness, World War Z, Man of Steel, G.I. Joe: Retaliation and numerous others. These movies are best watched in 2D, even though 3D versions are available.
Can you list the latest ten or so movies that are worth watching in 3D?
post #407 of 418 Old 06-19-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 99
A good 3D movie lets me forget I'm wearing the glasses.
cajieboy likes this.
post #408 of 418 Old 06-19-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Here is a list of current and upcoming 3D movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films

3D depends on the content producer. Some like to have it popping out in your face and making the audience jump, some prefer the depth part of it.

It is safe to say 3D for the cinema is not dead or dying. I think the recently founded 3D commission that is working on setting standards for consumer 3D will work wonders to reel in some of the confusion and conflicting designs that have plagued the consumer 3D market. I think glasses free 3D is only a few years away for certain commercial cinema's.
post #409 of 418 Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post

3D depends on the content producer. Some like to have it popping out in your face and making the audience jump, some prefer the depth part of it.

It is safe to say 3D for the cinema is not dead or dying. I think the recently founded 3D commission that is working on setting standards for consumer 3D will work wonders to reel in some of the confusion and conflicting designs that have plagued the consumer 3D market. I think glasses free 3D is only a few years away for certain commercial cinema's.
I hope that isn't a complete list. Otherwsie there aren't many titles that will be released in 3D for the rest of the year.

LED DLP

post #410 of 418 Old 06-19-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How? Big massive display panels????? There is no "glasses free" solution for projected images.

post #411 of 418 Old 06-19-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I hope that isn't a complete list. Otherwsie there aren't many titles that will be released in 3D for the rest of the year.
I'm more concerned about the quality. There isn't a single 3D movie I'm looking forward to in the near future.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #412 of 418 Old 06-19-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
How? Big massive display panels????? There is no "glasses free" solution for projected images.
Form the minds at M.I.T.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/19/m...-3d-projector/
post #413 of 418 Old 06-20-2014, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
We were discussing it in another topic here:Glasses Free 3D projector

But it seems that this kind of technology isn't such a great breakthrough and it has a lot of problems. Even if it were, they are just presenting it on paper on August, and it seems to be in the initial steps of development, so it would take a lot of time until this could be produced in a large scale.
post #414 of 418 Old 06-20-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARTmen View Post
We were discussing it in another topic here:Glasses Free 3D projector

But it seems that this kind of technology isn't such a great breakthrough and it has a lot of problems. Even if it were, they are just presenting it on paper on August, and it seems to be in the initial steps of development, so it would take a lot of time until this could be produced in a large scale.
Interesting. I'll keep a eye on it. But I question Engadget when they say things like "the technology uses a graphics card's computational power to preserve as much of an image's original information (and therefore its brightness) as possible."

Last edited by tgm1024; 06-20-2014 at 06:17 AM.
post #415 of 418 Old 06-20-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
Can you list the latest ten or so movies that are worth watching in 3D?
I think there are already enough threads about that in this forum.

I was impressed with Gravity recently. Even though the live action portions were converted from 2D, the movie was clearly planned for 3D from the beginning and had a lot of thought put into how the 3D would enhance the experience.
old corps likes this.

Josh Z

post #416 of 418 Old 06-20-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
I think there are already enough threads about that in this forum.

I was impressed with Gravity recently. Even though the live action portions were converted from 2D, the movie was clearly planned for 3D from the beginning and had a lot of thought put into how the 3D would enhance the experience.
You may be correct Josh about the number of threads regarding 3D movies. However, keep in mind that the majority of opinions are based on personal preference. Your take is more based on the technical aspect and most of us do not share your back ground and knowledge. What I may like is one thing but I'm asking you for a assessment based on the actual technical quality of the 3D and perhaps the steps involved in creating the specific 3D experience of a given movie. Actually there may not even be 10 movies that meet your criteria for rating a movie highly.

Last edited by andy sullivan; 06-20-2014 at 12:03 PM.
post #417 of 418 Old 06-20-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
You may be correct Josh about the number of threads regarding 3D movies. However, keep in mind that the majority of opinions are based on personal preference. Your take is more based on the technical aspect and most of us do not share your back ground and knowledge. What I may like is one thing but I'm asking you for a assessment based on the actual technical quality of the 3D and perhaps the steps involved in creating the specific 3D experience of a given movie. Actually there may not even be 10 movies that meet your criteria for rating a movie highly.
It's really not that technical. Shaky-cam and quick-cut editing are bad for 3D because they don't give viewers' brains enough time to register and process the 3D effect. The combination of 3D with hyperactive movement is visually confusing and can make many viewers nauseous. This should be really obvious if you try to watch some of these 2D action movies converted to 3D.

Even Michael Bay was wise enough to tone down his camerawork and editing in the third Transformers movie. His stereographers warned him that adding 3D to his usual filming style would have audiences puking in the theater aisles.

If you want to make a good 3D movie, you should also frame your shots to position characters and objects to make some meaningful use of the depth. A DP like McGarvey who has admitted that he gave no thought to 3D will not make that effort.

Josh Z

post #418 of 418 Old 06-21-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Smile

Quote:
It's really not that technical. Shaky-cam and quick-cut editing are bad for 3D because they don't give viewers' brains enough time to register and process the 3D effect. The combination of 3D with hyperactive movement is visually confusing and can make many viewers nauseous. This should be really obvious if you try to watch some of these 2D action movies converted to 3D.

Even Michael Bay was wise enough to tone down his camerawork and editing in the third Transformers movie. His stereographers warned him that adding 3D to his usual filming style would have audiences puking in the theater aisles.

If you want to make a good 3D movie, you should also frame your shots to position characters and objects to make some meaningful use of the depth. A DP like McGarvey who has admitted that he gave no thought to 3D will not make that effort.
I agree with you that having 3D in mind when shooting a 3D movie makes a difference to the final product; however there are some 2D movies I have converted into 3D using a Teranex processor that look very good -- maybe I am one of a fortunate few and I don't get headaches. Some artful 2D shots look stunning when converted to 3D. Shaky cams don't bother me in 2D but I would avoid material such as this in 3D. I am now watching all my favourite 2D movies in 3D and for me at least it is a better experience.

People here can argue over 3D until the cows come home -- me, I'm just going to enjoy my movies in 3D whether they were shot in 3D or 2D. 3D draws me deeper into the story and that's the escapism for which I'm looking. To each his own -- I'm now free to choose to watch any movie in the dimension(s) I happen to prefer. Freedom of chose is a wonderful and liberating thing.
mo949 likes this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-21-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page