post #451 of 496 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post
Ahhhh. Yeah. It is. I bought Frozen 3d from Amazon.uk . Only thing I can't do is use the reward points from UK to here. Whoopdee do. I have it in 3d and didn't have to wait for Disney to do another US release (probably around Xmas) for 3D. Same disc, Region free. Same with Captain America:WS. Received mine on 8-25. Region free. 3D to boot. Both discs work on Panasonic BDP-210 model. So yes, exact same and in the case of Frozen, I have 3d. And with cap, I have it a lot earlier than anyone else.
Yeah it is a way to get the disc in the US. But it should not count as Disney releasing 3D in the US. Seeing how you have to go outside the US to purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 496 Old Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
When it comes to Frozen 3D, I think that will be bundled with additional disks of extras for a Christmas release along with a second Theatrical showing, so the numbers will be further hidden. I have no info on that but as I said, these marketing strategies have no rules. Expect anything.
No logic either (as the OZ release certainly proved..."Hey guys! Wanna pay double?!?!")
And it wouldn't surprise me if those bozos probably used the damage they did on that title to justify what they are doing now. Brilliant. A high school drop-out would have more sense. (No offense meant to any drop-outs...I give them more credibility than the HV "What's marketing?" guys at Disney.)

post #453 of 496 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
But it should not count as Disney releasing 3D in the US.
Please don't accuse me of keeping some sort of score in that way. My point has always been, can you access the movie to watch or is it simply not available, no restrictions? I couldn't care less if Best Buy stops selling all 3D BD. If I can access every title ( I want) just by ordering it from the UK or China, I'm good with that. If I can rent those titles I don't want to own, I'm good with that. If there is never a BD sold anywhere but it is available on Vudu, then I'll enjoy the movie that way.

I will probably be dead or go blind in one eye before the 3D movie business stops making 3D movies.
post #454 of 496 Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I wouldn't say 3D's dead, but it is going through a very long lull. It's apparent to me that 3DTV with glasses has a finite lifespan. Laser theater projectors and autostereoscopic TV sets need to get here. Once those solutions are in place I think consumers and Hollywood directors will respond positively, and the next issue can be tackled - content quality and availability.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #455 of 496 Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Please don't accuse me of keeping some sort of score in that way. My point has always been, can you access the movie to watch or is it simply not available, no restrictions? I couldn't care less if Best Buy stops selling all 3D BD. If I can access every title ( I want) just by ordering it from the UK or China, I'm good with that. If I can rent those titles I don't want to own, I'm good with that. If there is never a BD sold anywhere but it is available on Vudu, then I'll enjoy the movie that way.

I will probably be dead or go blind in one eye before the 3D movie business stops making 3D movies.
More likely than your ability to simply watch a 3D movie, you'll be able to actually "BE" in the movie with immersive 3D virtually reality!
post #456 of 496 Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't understand the naysayers. If you don't like 3D, don't watch it. It's not like the 2D option is taken from you. Paper or plastic? Pick what you want for whatever reason, but why hope or push for the demise of options other people enjoy?

BoxOffice Mojo has a list of the 3D movies to date (246) plus upcoming 3D movies that have been announced so far (70) http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=3d.htm

Plenty of content out there and more on the way. Hopefully 3D is here to stay and will become a staple the same way widescreen, surround sound, and color became defacto standards.

If you haven't see Gaurdians of the Galaxy in 3D at IMAX, it's worth watching.
EVERRET likes this.

post #457 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I don't think anyone in this thread is naysaying 3D, just realistically observing its rise and fall, and trying to figure out why the mass market is responding the way it is.

My Videos

A movie with good 3D does not necessarily equal a good 3D movie!

post #458 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
Ratatouille???? really??? lol
The French, and the British already have 'Ratatouille' in 3D BD. ...So why can't we too?

By the way, this is my favorite PIXAR Disney animation flick.
post #459 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Disney dropping 3D Blu ray market is really blow to 3D. Hopefully they reverse this decision because not everyone, including myself can stream, nor would I want to if I could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
When did Disney drop 3D from Blu-ray Disc? The last 3D Disney title I got was Frozen. Earlier this year. So are they not coming out with any more 3D BD titles? It seems like a waste if the movie is going to be in 3D anyway at the theaters.

EDIT: I see that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is being released on BD soon in 3D. And Disney owns Marvel.
Frozen, Maleficent, Need for Speed, Ratatouille, Oz the Great and Powerful, ..all in 3D.
Is everyone reading the news? When was the last time you visited your local Blu-ray movie store?
...Or that you check over @ amazon.com and amazon.ca? ...North America.

Yeah, Oz came, but in a different type of package. ...Not the old original 'Oz', but the newest one;
with a separate 2D and 3D versions, from two different purchases.

...The rest, only from overseas.
post #460 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
3D is not dead yet, but Disney is for sure accentuating the deceased decision!

And by the way, where is Avatar 2 and Prometheus 2, both in 3D?
...And The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy in 3D?
...The Incredibles, Ratatouille in 3D?

This world of ours is in 3D, so get on with the program. ...Adjust, or rust.
NorthSky did you see the trailer for the next hobbit movie in 3D? It looked STUNNING (I saw the 3D trailer when I went to see GOTG... The Hobbit's 3D looked way better than anything I saw... I'm guessing due to the increased resolution/ film speed). I think 3D will see a massive come back when glasses free 3D TV's come out/ Star Wars/ Avatar 2 are released. Is Avatar 2 not supposed to be in 3D? I'm guessing Star Wars will be given JJ's usage of the medium as of late/ IMAX.
post #461 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who told you you can't buy them here? Maybe you can't walk into the local B&M store and buy it in your town. Here in Florida we have something new you may not have heard of. It's called mail order. The biggest is Amazon and ebay. You buy from your computer and in a few days to a couple weeks, it is delivered to your door. You don't need to travel to another part of the world to buy stuff only sold "over there" Not only that but if a 3D BD is only rendered in one of the other two region codes, you can buy a 3D Blu Ray player that ignores the region codes on the disk. We have lots of options and that is why I know 3D is not dead.

Everyone has their personal limitations. Some people refuse to acknowledge a 3D movie if it doesn't meet their personal high limited standards of production. Others feel 3D as a streaming or digital download doesn't count. Others refuse to watch conversions.

I understand if you live where you don't have 21st century internet, still can't stream video at 9+ Mbs which is required for good quality 3D playback.

Even I have my limitations on what counts as available. For me, I don't count bit torrent bootlegged copies. I won't do bit torrents.

I think we will soon see people in this AVS community posting that unless the movie is in 4K 3D it doesn't count. Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
You could also have bought a plane ticket to China to see Noah 3D in theaters. Only then are you a TRUE AVSFORUM 3D FAN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
It doesn't do much good to mail order if I still can't play it, I guess I should have been more specific.
Yeah, welcome to the new 3D mail-to-order world. ...And true universal Blu-ray players.

You like it, you want it; it's all there. ...Just not the same way it used to be; the times they are a-changin'.

And 3D ain't going anywhere but up, and over there, across the oceans...

'Noah' in 3D. ...It's up there too, across the rain, up in the sky...
post #462 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
"World conditions" have little to do with Disney not releasing 3D discs. Actually, it is the rest of the world that has the access! Disney policies are THEIRS alone. (But it does seem that they'd LIKE to rule the world.)
That sounds like Mickey Jackson and Disneyland all over the world. ...Maybe that's why 3D is having a rough time to penetrate deeper?

Are we fortunate, or not? ...To live in a 2D world still...
post #463 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I have Ratatouille in 3D sitting at home in the plastic
Wanna unseal and sell it...to me?
post #464 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Don, I've read all your posts, I've checked your site, I like what I'm reading, what I'm seeing, what your thinking, your all attitude is impeccable; and that's what I'm afraid of. ...Seems to be too easy.
post #465 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Yeah it is a way to get the disc in the US. But it should not count as Disney releasing 3D in the US.
Seeing how you have to go outside the US to purchase.
Travelling overseas is good for the soul.
post #466 of 496 Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don, did you see 'Noah' in 3D?
post #467 of 496 Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
NorthSky did you see the trailer for the next hobbit movie in 3D? It looked STUNNING (I saw the 3D trailer when I went to see GOTG... The Hobbit's 3D looked way better than anything I saw... I'm guessing due to the increased resolution/ film speed). I think 3D will see a massive come back when glasses free 3D TV's come out/ Star Wars/ Avatar 2 are released. Is Avatar 2 not supposed to be in 3D? I'm guessing Star Wars will be given JJ's usage of the medium as of late/ IMAX.
I'm a huge sucker for everything The LOTR Extended Edition Trilogy 3D and The Hobbit Extended Edition Trilogy 3D. I just seem that I can't have enough of it. ...I must have over hundred discs easily so far just on them two trilogies, except for the last Hobbit (that would extend my collection to just short of two hundred discs).

The true (real) Cinema lovers and Art connoisseurs...are some of my best 3D friends.
...And they make the best 3D lovers in the world, with true/3DReal dedicated passion.

♦ I'm new to this thread, but I won't be the last...
post #468 of 496 Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got back from DC, and while there took in the Smithsonian on the Mall. Never get tired of that place. The big deal at their IMAX theater are the 3D movies. I saw "Jerusalem". Cool documentary, and a near full theater in attendance. I think most people are attuned to wearing the glasses at these 3D showings, and I've never been bothered with wearing them. In fact, after a few minutes of getting engrossed in the film, you soon forget you're even wearing them.
post #469 of 496 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
... Is Avatar 2 not supposed to be in 3D? I'm guessing Star Wars will be given JJ's usage of the medium as of late/ IMAX.
'Avatar 2', in 3D of course, what do you expect! Anything less is cheap whiskey.

'Star Wars' triple trilogy (original versions) in 3D? ...Bring it on man! ...That'll be the day! ...When FOX need a bunch of more trillion dollars...
post #470 of 496 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
'Avatar 2', in 3D of course, what do you expect! Anything less is cheap whiskey.

'Star Wars' triple trilogy (original versions) in 3D? ...Bring it on man! ...That'll be the day! ...When FOX need a bunch of more trillion dollars...
I did see a post on this site that the original trilogy was converted to 4k... that might be a possibility but I'd actually say probably not, because on Reliance Media Works page it lists Star Wars as a "restoration" project, nothing mentioned about 3D (whereas other projects are specified as 3D)... but I'd love that if they could. If Reliance Media Works uses rotoscope to convert 3D then it's a given But.... at least it looks like we'll see a high res despecialized edition of the original trilogy. I believe Disney owns the rights to all except the first film... I'm guessing they worked out a deal for the 4k transfer.

I remember Wilkinson saying the phantom menace 3D was an awful conversion... so they'd have to redo the PT trilogy. I think the problem with that is being filmed at 1080 p we'll never get a good high res 3D image from that anyway, right? But who knows, maybe Disney will figure something out.

I will for sure be sitting in the 3D theater with my nephews on episode 7 opening night
post #471 of 496 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Just got back from DC, and while there took in the Smithsonian on the Mall. Never get tired of that place. The big deal at their IMAX theater are the 3D movies. I saw "Jerusalem". Cool documentary, and a near full theater in attendance. I think most people are attuned to wearing the glasses at these 3D showings, and I've never been bothered with wearing them. In fact, after a few minutes of getting engrossed in the film, you soon forget you're even wearing them.
That is how I feel but I also prefer to see a movie in 3D. Out of a couple of dozen people I have talked to, that have seen 3D, only a couple actively go see it. The rest just do not like wearing the glasses. For me I have no problem wearing the active glasses for my DLP at home(and on occasion passive for an LCD set). So the passive at the theater I have no problem with. But it just seems between wearing the glasses and the higher cost at the theater, a lot of people just are not interested in viewing 3D at the theater And it seems to be even worse numbers for people viewing 3D at home.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #472 of 496 Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That is how I feel but I also prefer to see a movie in 3D. Out of a couple of dozen people I have talked to, that have seen 3D, only a couple actively go see it. The rest just do not like wearing the glasses. For me I have no problem wearing the active glasses for my DLP at home(and on occasion passive for an LCD set). So the passive at the theater I have no problem with. But it just seems between wearing the glasses and the higher cost at the theater, a lot of people just are not interested in viewing 3D at the theater And it seems to be even worse numbers for people viewing 3D at home.
My personal experience has been quite the opposite than yours. Whenever a new blockbuster movie comes out and the theaters are showing both 2D & 3D, some even in IMAX, the place is packed full. Interesting, especially given the fact that the 3D screen is the more expensive ticket. I travel a lot, and this experience has been repeated over and over across the country.

I don't know the statistics, but I can only imagine that the 3D screens provide a healthy percentage of a theater's revenue stream. At the end of these 3D movies, I can't recall any of the viewing audience whining about the glasses they had to wear to achieve that great 3D effect. You would think that if all those people attending the thousands of 3D screens at theaters across the country and paying extra for the priviledge, then left the theater hating the experience, I doubt seriously there would be the investment in 3D that has been made thus far.
post #473 of 496 Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thumbs up

I was checking out the new Transformers blu-ray promo........... did anyone notice....

Quote:
"The Blu-ray 3D includes expanded images as seen in IMAX theaters."
Aspect ratio: 2.40:1, 1.78:1
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14840

I wish all....... made for IMAX movies....... would do this for their BluRay releases.

(I also noticed it's only for the 3D version)
post #474 of 496 Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I prefer watching 3D @ home than @ my local IMAX Theater.

Why? More details @ home, better colors, cleaner picture. ...And my sound is just fine too.

@ IMAX: Huge screen; more immersion on the eyes, and big sound too.

But, the picture is not as sharp, unfocused, un-calibrated, and not as polished like seeing through a clean window but with a grainy veil of fog, smoke, and dust particles in the air.
I like the sound best; to equal that @ home is impossible, same as the screen size. There IMAX truly rules.

But I'm just glad that I got a glimpse of it, a satisfying glimpse, @ home too. I sit closer to the 60" screen; 7 feet or so with 3D.
And I sometimes listen @ reference THX level; with peaks in the 115dB range occasionally.

IMAX is cool, home is comfy, and cheaper. And no matter what, I just luv 3D. ...And Atmos is next.

P.S. I did not see The Hobbit's third installment 3D trailer. But! ...
Apostate likes this.
post #475 of 496 Old Today, 12:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Don, did you see 'Noah' in 3D?
I have it from China. Took nearly 3 weeks to get here. For a dark 3D, I still enjoyed it. You need to read the NOAH 3D thread for my complete impressions on this title.
post #476 of 496 Old Today, 01:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

I stopped going to the small multiplex IMAX theaters in town. Over crowded, more expensive, sound is too distorted, and yes, often blurry projection. For the past two years now I travel about 20 miles to World Golf Village which is a much bigger IMAX screen, more powerful speakers and I go in the afternoons, price is $10, $4 less than the big Multiplex. Plus the place is usually about half full with senior citizens so no texting and phone chatting during the movie by obnoxious kids. Heck they don't even serve meals, just popcorn and soda. The company prides itself in IMAX presentation so the image has always been... perfect. I am fortunate to have this resource nearby.

Some movies in 3D I like sitting back row in my theater, it expands the Z axis but other movies I like the idea of immersion, like The Universe Documentaries and Gravity. I use my front row seating so I'm almost vision filled with screen.
post #477 of 496 Old Today, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have it from China. Took nearly 3 weeks to get here. For a dark 3D, I still enjoyed it. You need to read the NOAH 3D thread for my complete impressions on this title.
So many 3D movies so little time.
post #478 of 496 Old Today, 01:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Don, I've read all your posts, I've checked your site, I like what I'm reading, what I'm seeing, what your thinking, your all attitude is impeccable; and that's what I'm afraid of. ...Seems to be too easy.
Thank you! It's only easy when I'm having fun. I try to make that my primary purpose. Everything is a learning experience. I shoot with many different 3D rigs. But all of them have to be carried and managed by one person. I study and admire guys like Les Stroud. He doesn't do 3D but works by himself in the field. Les is a great talent who is fun to just sit and chat with about the cameras and rigging for his survival programs.
post #479 of 496 Old Today, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For the original op, I thought 3d at home was pretty much a gimmick and not worth the time after purchasing a samsung passive 6yrs ago, recently updated the tv to a fairly generic cheapo 65' led/lcd brand that that has 3d active and must say I have been watching most movies in 3d and am now completely hooked.I think for people like myself that never really enjoyed the benefits of 3d either havn't calibrated properly and just take for granted that modern tv's work the way they expect out of the box and because of this forum I have found it far from the truth

I saw Gravity at Imax and watched it again at home last night and would agree with NorthSky and will be saving a lot more money by staying at home and watching in comfort and at my own convenience.

Probably upgrade again very soon to something that has 4k and a bit better quality, I've caught the bug lol
post #480 of 496 Old Today, 01:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

I missed your comment, cakefoo:

These days I try to avoid air travel because of some bad and expensive experiences with TSA. But I do the tourist thing several times a year. I like cruise ships. Leaving again soon and hope to 3D shoot some of the Myan ruins as long as the hurricane weather cooperates. I'm sure I enjoyed NOAH 3D in my own theater more. I don't speak Mandarin... yet. Planning a Chinese trip along with Thailand and Singapore in 2016. I want to shoot the South China Sea and Gulf of Thailand in 3D. I have a relative who is from Singapore and we will be traveling with his family.

Originally Posted by cakefoo
You could also have bought a plane ticket to China to see Noah 3D in theaters. Only then are you a TRUE AVSFORUM 3D FAN.

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page