post #541 of 563 Old 09-06-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I don't think the hobbits first 55 minutes stuck in the same house did much to help the 3d experience.
I thought the Hobbit House scene was a good one, and helped establish all the characters that were going on the journey. Very close to the book. The LOTR Triology was a true 3-book story, but The Hobbit is actually only one book that's been stretched into 3 movies. For this reason, I expect story detail to be strong, which I particularly like having read the book years ago. I saw The Hobbit in a 3D theater, and it was everything I had hoped it would be in a flick directed by Peter Jackson. The dude has got it down when it comes to Tolkien stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 563 Old 09-06-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I'm a huge sucker for everything The LOTR Extended Edition Trilogy 3D and The Hobbit Extended Edition Trilogy 3D. I just seem that I can't have enough of it. ...I must have over hundred discs easily so far just on them two trilogies, except for the last Hobbit (that would extend my collection to just short of two hundred discs).

The true (real) Cinema lovers and Art connoisseurs...are some of my best 3D friends.
...And they make the best 3D lovers in the world, with true/3DReal dedicated passion.

♦ I'm new to this thread, but I won't be the last...
Northsky. I read your posts a little too carefully. You made it sound like both the hobbit and LOTR were in 3D in your above post.

I'm bummed you didn't have a surprise for me there
post #543 of 563 Old 09-06-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
I saw the High Frame Rate version, and it just felt weird. It looked weird. I can't say it looked bad, I'm sure it was technically better, but it was weird and distracting.
I was not a fan of the HFR version. To the point that I avoided it with the second movie. Plus at the local AMC theater, the HFR version was on the smaller screen(real 3D) anyway. I saw the first one twice in the 3D IMAX lite and in the real 3D HFR. The second one I just stuck with the IMAX lite theater in 3D and saw it once. I think I might try out the DOlby ATmos theater, a few miles up the road, if the third movie is in Dolby Atmos with 3D.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #544 of 563 Old 09-06-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Northsky. I read your posts a little too carefully. You made it sound like both the hobbit and LOTR were in 3D in your above post.

I'm bummed you didn't have a surprise for me there
What! LOTR EE trilogy is not on 3D. ...Don't worry, it will.

* Anything to do with LOTR and I got that often; over ecstatic.
You are an attentive reader; now read the emotion (the dream) behind the lines. ...All in good spirit, always. ...And optimism. ..."I'm a huge sucker" (I'm a positive dreamer).

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #545 of 563 Old 09-06-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
What! LOTR EE trilogy is not on 3D. ...Don't worry, it will.
I seem to recall that Jackson said the LOTR films were going to be converted to 3D. (But don't know which versions.) Probably for theatrical re-release, after THE HOBBIT films have run their course. Not sure where that stands right now.

post #546 of 563 Old 09-07-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Holy %|€=><%+?#

Please release those early and take all my money now!!
post #547 of 563 Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
I seem to recall that Jackson said the LOTR films were going to be converted to 3D. (But don't know which versions.) Probably for theatrical re-release, after THE HOBBIT films have run their course. Not sure where that stands right now.
The 3rd and final film of the Hobbit trilogy will be titled "The 5 Armies" and is due to be released on December 17, 2014. I can see that I'll be at our local 3D IMAX over Christmas!!
post #548 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have the extended edition of LOTR on Blu ray but I think that was a mistake. Just wayyyy to long and feels like a lot of unneeded scenes. The extra scenes are also very uninteresting. I need to get the theatrical editions on Blu ray. I won't be buying the extended editions of Hobbit this time. I'm happy with the 3D/2D of theatrical.

I saw the first Hobbit in HFR 3D, but honestly I couldn't tell the difference. I didn't see the 2nd in theater, not sure if I'll go to the 3rd, I might just wait for Blu ray.

A 3D conversion of LOTR? Yeah, I'd probably buy it if it was the theatrical versions.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #549 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I have the extended edition of LOTR on Blu ray but I think that was a mistake. Just wayyyy to long and feels like a lot of unneeded scenes. The extra scenes are also very uninteresting. I need to get the theatrical editions on Blu ray. I won't be buying the extended editions of Hobbit this time. I'm happy with the 3D/2D of theatrical.

I saw the first Hobbit in HFR 3D, but honestly I couldn't tell the difference. I didn't see the 2nd in theater, not sure if I'll go to the 3rd, I might just wait for Blu ray.

A 3D conversion of LOTR? Yeah, I'd probably buy it if it was the theatrical versions.
I thought the extended editions of LOTR were the only ones worth watching. They had all the extra content put back in that was removed from the theatrical version. So many scenes make more sense now or are better explained.
post #550 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I thought the extended editions of LOTR were the only ones worth watching. They had all the extra content put back in that was removed from the theatrical version. So many scenes make more sense now or are better explained.
Amen to that. The extended versions capture much more of the books feel. The theatricals just seem to havemerely enough plot to get to the next action beat. The added footage also serves to provide a greater investment in the characters...so much so that the longer version of ROTK seems shorter than the theatrical version. I can't imagine ever watching the theatrical versions again.

post #551 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

I used to think that too, and I originally bought the extended DVD's around 2004. I think I only watched them once or twice back then. I recently got the extended Blu rays. But I should have just got the Theatrical version. The thing is, it's not a book, it's a movie. Big difference. They were already long movies, and then all the extra scenes, just seemed like filler info and nothing important. If anything, they could have cut more out. Same with Hobbit, mainly the first one. They could have cut out about half the dinner scene at the beginning.

post #552 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting, because the LOTR trilogy, the Extended Edition; is the better version than the theatrical three films. ...In my book, even if they run roughly an hour each longer.

And the Hobbit, I don't truly care about the Extended Editions. But it don't matter @ all; what does is that they are in 3D.

So, LOTR EE trilogy; yes, give it to me in 3D, BIG time.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #553 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
...And each film is on two discs; better picture and sound quality*. ...Plus the added content is extremely cool and adds to to the overall presentation, storyline, character's development.
It is the definitive trilogy, the EE.

* Higher rate.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #554 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I used to think that too, and I originally bought the extended DVD's around 2004. I think I only watched them once or twice back then. I recently got the extended Blu rays. But I should have just got the Theatrical version. The thing is, it's not a book, it's a movie. Big difference. They were already long movies, and then all the extra scenes, just seemed like filler info and nothing important. If anything, they could have cut more out. Same with Hobbit, mainly the first one. They could have cut out about half the dinner scene at the beginning.
Tom, you are tastic. ...Them all are masterpieces from the maestro; nothing to be cut here.

* I think you are the first person ever that I met who prefer LOTR trilogy theatrical version.
Es cool man, I respect you. Films are like women, the longer they last the ....

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #555 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

As I said, I used to like the extended versions. But last viewing on Blu ray...it was just too much and I wanted the shortened original version. It had been years since last viewing of these too. The extra scenes, just slowed the pacing down too much and I came to realize they just weren't needed.

No, some friends of mine thought the same thing when they saw Hobbit wondering if Jackson knew what editing was, I'm sure many out there have never even seen the extended versions. But then again, they're not home theater geeks like us. I kind of thought the same thing with the first Hobbit, but the second it felt entertaining from beginning to end, the first one just started a little slow with the dinner scene and was just, well boring for the first 40 minutes.

But I really can't wait for the next installment on 3D Blu ray, theatrical version of course.

post #556 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Since the early 1970's, when I first read The Hobbit and later LOTR, myself and countless other Tolkien fans have been clamoring for a well-made movie of these stories. Several attempts were made, but all flopped and/or fell through because of the sheer scope of this tale. Not to mention the gazillion problems involving sets, props, special make-up, costumes, etc. in order to make Middle Earth believable. Otherwise, the story would just look hokey and cartoonish.

Then, along comes a director name Peter Jackson willing to take on this enormous project, and a masterpiece is born. The Hobbit, Tolkien's first novel was written in 1936 and drew inspiration by the poem Beowulf. Lord of the Rings took 10 years to write and came out around 1955. The book became very popular in the 1960's, especially with the younger "earth people" crowd. This is where I first became associated with Tolkien. I had always thought that the music of "Yes" would be a great soundtrack if a movie was ever made of the novels. In fact, if you look at all the Yes album artwork on Fragile & Close To The Edge, you can easily imagine that it must have been inspired by LOTR.

If anyone has not read the actual Tolkien novels, I highly recommend it. Looking forward to the final installment of The Hobbit in December. Now if only the moviemakers can get their hands on the rights to The Silmarillion.
post #557 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

@ our age a four-hour long movie is quite a challenge too. ...Add 3D on top of that, and our eyes are going to get buttery.

* The first Hobbit was boring to death, my first viewing, in 2D. ...But then in 3D it all just opened up like magic. ...The second, fantastic. ...The third, bring it on.

LOTR EE trilogy in 3D: I'm ready, I was even before they started filming.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #558 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
I had always thought that the music of "Yes" would be a great soundtrack if a movie was ever made of the novels. In fact, if you look at all the Yes album artwork on Fragile & Close To The Edge, you can easily imagine that it must have been inspired by LOTR.
That, is awesomely well said. ...Huge Yes' fan here, from all their LPs in the 70s.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #559 of 563 Old 09-08-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That, is awesomely well said. ...Huge Yes' fan here, from all their LPs in the 70s.
Thanks NorthSky. Super band, and Chris Squire is one of the top guitarist of all time.
post #560 of 563 Old 09-09-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
In fact, if you look at all the Yes album artwork on Fragile & Close To The Edge, you can easily imagine that it must have been inspired by LOTR.
That, or by drinking the bong water. I love Yes, but they were *out* there a tad. "Mountains come out of the sky and they stand there." LOL.....

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #561 of 563 Old 09-09-2014, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by young hayley View Post
Aim your sniper scope with real depth like a real pro.
Aren't scopes 2D? I think I only tried one game in 3D, might have been Call of Duty Black Ops. I didn't see much improvement but I'll have to give it another try. I might have 2 games in 3D.

LOTR/Hobbit

I had to read the Hobbit for a Fantasy/SciFi English class for school. I had a hard time with it and didn't finish it. I think just the way it was written, the subject matter was fine, just couldn't get into the style. The same for Dracula, just couldn't read it. Never tried to read LOTR. I suppose I would have had the same problem. Not sure if I'd feel the same way now, perhaps not.

post #562 of 563 Old 09-09-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
If you like Tom. I'll trade you my theatrical blu-ray discs of The Lord of The Rings Trilogy for your Extended blu-ray edition.
post #563 of 563 Old 09-09-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Gaming is the last the I want to do in 3D.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page