Is 3D about dead? - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 910Likes

post #811 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
There are certainly some folks who don't like Avatar, but the problem at the moment doesn't have to do with whether or not Avatar had a contrived storyline. The problem had to do with EscapeVelocity making a statement about 3D that indicated that the mere presence of the 3D variant screwed up the 2D film. Speaking for myself, I wanted to know what he was talking about, because I don't think even the "3D haters" have generally said anything like that.

He was unable to explain it, and decided to switch premises midstream, and further, pretend that he's produced example after example and further pretend that he's not being listened to.

Well, that might work if he simply did what I and others asked in the first place and explain with examples what he was talking about. I don't doubt he's sincerely and honestly annoyed with 3D, that much is evident. What I doubt is that he has a lot of examples ready to show how 3D screwed up 2D to the point where it makes sense to say silly things like 3D "can't die fast enough".
It feels like typical trolling, and we both fell for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
I think Hugo was maybe the best example of 3D that improved the filmaking. Perhaps Tron, but that whole movie sucked and the 3D was mostly about gee wizzery though effective for what it was intended for. Maybe a few others.

My first and last 3D movie in theatres was The Polar Express which had repeated unnecessary 3D gimmicks and an extended out of control train sequence that was all about the 3D and not really about the film.

Meh. It cant die fast enough, IMO.
Interesting. I would argue that the 3d in PE was very appropriate in light of the nature and message of the film which emphasizes the magic of Christmas. The 3d in that train sequence only drove the magic nature of the film home. PE is one of my favorite 3d blu rays and I don't find any of the 3d out of place or gimmicky in light of the nature of the movie.
post #813 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post
It feels like typical trolling, and we both fell for it
I don't think I'd use the T word in this case. I think he just overspoke is all (we all do sooner or later), but then didn't back down from it as he probably should have given what little he did say.

Thought #AUO: The IOC seems to have made the same obnoxious mistake that FIFA did. They honestly believe that they are more powerful than governments. Oh are they ever going to regret that soon.
post #814 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
I don't think I'd use the T word in this case. I think he just overspoke is all (we all do sooner or later), but then didn't back down from it as he probably should have given what little he did say.
I used a lowercase "t"

I guess you're right. I just can't relate to that "I hope it dies" mentality. I think Xbox kinect, and playstation move are gimmicky, and i don't enjoy gaming that way. I'm not praying for all of those games to fail miserably and for the technology to die.

As a matter of fact I recently got big buck hunter and pump action shotgun for my playstation, and love it. I'm not about to jump into that tech, but I'm glad I kept an open mind to it.
tgm1024 likes this.
post #815 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
He was unable to explain it, and decided to switch premises midstream, and further, pretend that he's produced example after example and further pretend that he's not being listened to.

What I doubt is that he has a lot of examples ready to show how 3D screwed up 2D to the point where it makes sense to say silly things like 3D "can't die fast enough".
Right, and specifically he said 2D versions of movies still have distracting 3D moments. He named a few titles, but he only made clear that the format he saw them in was 3D- not 2D- therefore he can't actually say he was taken out of the story when viewing the 2D version. Viewing the 3D version all the way through is going to cause you to be more conscious of the 3D than if you watched the whole thing in 2D. Movies with lots of visual 3D gags like Polar Express or Beowulf or Harold and Kumar are exceptions, not the rule.

Without EscapeVelocity here elaborating on his initial statements, I have to have these little debates in my imagination based on previous conversations with 3D detractors. They're all the same- plug their ears and run away. Can't teach old dogs new tricks, they're stuck in the 50's.
Rudy1 likes this.
post #816 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I used a lowercase "t"

I guess you're right. I just can't relate to that "I hope it dies" mentality.
Me neither. The folks willing to bash 3D came out of the woodwork when Vizio announced they were no longer going to offer the tech. Seriously guys, who moved the @#$%ing rock???? Sure you're welcome to state whether or not 3D is something that you particularly like, but where's the win for these people in THAT kind of technology bashing? Some kind of "ha ha you fool" moment that makes no sense?

I'll never understand it. My wife was the biggest skeptic regarding 3D, but since we've gotten the Sony passive 3D TV, she's been the biggest proponent of our 3D movie nights with the kids. And both sets of grandparents love it as well. It's really great. Particularly fun moments are when I have my family room packed with neighborhood kids all with glasses on....so great.
marcuslaw likes this.

Thought #AUO: The IOC seems to have made the same obnoxious mistake that FIFA did. They honestly believe that they are more powerful than governments. Oh are they ever going to regret that soon.

Last edited by tgm1024; 12-03-2014 at 07:25 AM.
post #817 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
My wife was the biggest skeptic regarding 3D, but since we've gotten the Sony passive 3D TV, she's been the biggest proponent of our 3D movie nights with the kids.
Same here. When planning our system and budget, she didn't want me to get 3D if it cost more, and the 1st few movies we watched in 3D I had to drag her too.

Last weekend we were looking for a movie to watch and she wanted to watch megamind because it was the only movie out of our options that was 3D. She's officially a convert.
marcuslaw and tgm1024 like this.
post #818 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Same here. When planning our system and budget, she didn't want me to get 3D if it cost more, and the 1st few movies we watched in 3D I had to drag her too.

Last weekend we were looking for a movie to watch and she wanted to watch megamind because it was the only movie out of our options that was 3D. She's officially a convert.
I think I must have heard nearly exactly this same story at least 10 times.

post #819 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 95
i think the title of this thread invites negative comments
post #820 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
What did you come in here to do then? Clearly you're not here to have a mature conversation. You came here to make a drive-by post and now you're upset because you didn't come prepared with examples to back yourself up. It seems you're relying on ebo to say what you wanted, but he listed two movies from the 50's (LOL) and ONE moment in a recent documentary. You can't even match THAT. Come on...

There's this one article written a few years ago by that one dinosaur who claimed 3D doesn't work because your eyes want to focus on one distance while converging on another--- in my experience my eyes see everything from 7 feet to infinity clearly without having to refocus. Now if it's only 3 feet away, yes, I do have to refocus. But since most people watch 3D screens from 7 feet or more, and since most 3D content plays at the screen plane or deeper, and there isn't much popout coming more than a foot or two out of the screen for any significant amount of time, there's really no big deal.
My post was moved down here from elsewhere. I didnt even know that there was a 3d section. I wanted to express my desire for the 3D fad to end. And I have.

Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Panasonic P50ST60 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Vizio VP322 Plasma
Sony S790 BD / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2 (Ver. 3)
Oppo 983H Anchor Bay VRS / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis / Oppo 970HD MediaTek
Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS
post #821 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Me neither. The folks willing to bash 3D came out of the woodwork when Vizio announced they were no longer going to offer the tech. Seriously guys, who moved the @#$%ing rock???? Sure you're welcome to state whether or not 3D is something that you particularly like, but where's the win for these people in THAT kind of technology bashing? Some kind of "ha ha you fool" moment that makes no sense?

I'll never understand it. My wife was the biggest skeptic regarding 3D, but since we've gotten the Sony passive 3D TV, she's been the biggest proponent of our 3D movie nights with the kids. And both sets of grandparents love it as well. It's really great. Particularly fun moments are when I have my family room packed with neighborhood kids all with glasses on....so great.
As I stated. 3D negatively impacts films. Else I wouldnt give 2 ****s about it.

Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Panasonic P50ST60 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Vizio VP322 Plasma
post #822 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4112 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
Man this thread has blown up over the last few weeks. It's hard to keep up with it now.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
Sony 65x850C--Samsung UBD-K8500--Sony HT-NT3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #823 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
Weird... I don't recall telling someone to see Avatar in 3D who wasn't interested in the other aspects of it. So I see a strawman on the end of this pendulum you refer to. If I was given the chance to speak, which apparently I wasn't- I would say that, even though Avatar is a defining moment in 3D history, it's 5 years old and there are quite a few other great 3D films you could check out.
That was not a straw man nor an attack on 3D but an aside on the artistic value of Avatar beyond its engrossing 3D experience. It was only meant as a response to the ridicule Life of Pi was receiving as if Avatar is a cinematic masterpiece that no one could deny. (I would choose to watch Life of Pi 3D 9/10 times over Avatar). The defense can rest.

Last edited by sterlingjewel; 12-03-2014 at 11:05 AM.
post #824 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
There are certainly some folks who don't like Avatar, but the problem at the moment doesn't have to do with whether or not Avatar had a contrived storyline.
I'll go ahead and stop you right there because if you look at the post to which I responded, it had nothing to do with EscapeVelocity's "invasion" of this thread. That he happened to like my post is merely an ancillary coincidence.
tgm1024 likes this.

Last edited by sterlingjewel; 12-03-2014 at 11:09 AM.
post #825 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjewel View Post
That was not a straw man nor an attack on 3D but an aside on the artistic value of Avatar beyond its engrossing 3D experience. It was only meant as a response to the ridicule Life of Pi was receiving as if Avatar is a cinematic masterpiece that no one could deny. (I would choose to watch Life of Pi 3D 9/10 times over Avatar). The defense can rest.
First time I've ever seen any movie have a part of the film come out over the black bars.
post #826 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 11:15 AM

I haven't seen it in a while but I do remember being taken by some of the pop-out. I haven't bothered with 3D lately due to my screen size reduction, the curvature of the screen, and the associated heavy crosstalk unless one's seating position is centrally located in the cone at the appropriate distance.
post #827 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post
First time I've ever seen any movie have a part of the film come out over the black bars.
People may not agree with whether they liked or disliked this effect, but I think its good that some movie makers are trying to push the envelop with 3D and the immersion of the effect. For me 3D helps with immersion and that what I'm looking for. It's the same reason why I wanted a projector and a large screen. For me 3D helps this cause far more often than its hurts it.

In this example, I think you could say this effect accentuates the presence of the bars and can distract from the immersion of the film. Some call that gimmicky. In this case it did take me out of the story, but was an "oh cool" moment, so I didn't mind so much.
post #828 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
People may not agree with whether they liked or disliked this effect, but I think its good that some movie makers are trying to push the envelop with 3D and the immersion of the effect. For me 3D helps with immersion and that what I'm looking for. It's the same reason why I wanted a projector and a large screen. For me 3D helps this cause far more often than its hurts it.

In this example, I think you could say this effect accentuates the presence of the bars and can distract from the immersion of the film. Some call that gimmicky. In this case it did take me out of the story, but was an "oh cool" moment, so I didn't mind so much.
^^^EXACTLY!!!

Overall I thought Life of Pi had really good 3d, but that part where the fish came out over the black bars completely ruined the 3d effects on my screen!! In fact that whole sequence seems to have none of the intended 3d impact, at least on my projector and screen.
jvh4 likes this.
post #829 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My post was moved down here from elsewhere. I didnt even know that there was a 3d section. I wanted to express my desire for the 3D fad to end. And I have.
Quote:
As I stated. 3D negatively impacts films. Else I wouldnt give 2 ****s about it.
Where's the logic in returning to this thread again and again just to repeat your shallow bashing, but you refuse to have any sort of educated intelligent discussion whatsoever about it? You're just a close-minded, cynical, simplistic, generalizing 3D hater like the rest of them. It's hilarious how people become experts on things they don't partake in!!!
post #830 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 390
I decided to buy the new Planet of the Apes movie in 3D this morning. Best Buy had it advertsied for under $20. I stopped at Wal-Mart and Target and neither store had the 3D version. Strange. This thread is asking if 3D is dead. Not for me it's not but when major retailers choose not to even offer the 3D version it certainly begs the question.
post #831 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingjewel View Post
I'll go ahead and stop you right there because if you look at the post to which I responded, it had nothing to do with EscapeVelocity's "invasion" of this thread. That he happened to like my post is merely an ancillary coincidence.
Gotcha

post #832 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
I decided to buy the new Planet of the Apes movie in 3D this morning. Best Buy had it advertsied for under $20. I stopped at Wal-Mart and Target and neither store had the 3D version. Strange. This thread is asking if 3D is dead. Not for me it's not but when major retailers choose not to even offer the 3D version it certainly begs the question.
I can't speak for walmart, but I have also observed that Target is very hit or miss with 3D blu-rays. When picking up HTTYD2 I noticed a huge display at Target in the front of the store. Plenty of 2D Blu-ray and DVD, but no spot for 3D. If you go back into the acually media section, there are various 3D movies there, but they have many movies that are available in 3D that they seem to only carry the 2D version.

I agree that this is disturbing.
post #833 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

3D fanboys are worse than Plasma fanboys.

LOL!

post #834 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

LOL!
Are there anti-plasma trolls dropping into plasma tv forums too?
post #835 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

LOL!
Count me in for both camps!!!

And proud of it. Have me my Plasma TV that does marvelous 3D. Whos LOL NOW?!
marcuslaw and tgm1024 like this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #836 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 05:12 PM

Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
The Targets in my area had both HERCULES and MR PEABODY in stock opening week. (Even had TWO slots for HERC 3D!)
Both titles sold out...and they just didn't restock or re-order.
It is odd that when titles sell well, they don't bother to re-order (especially during the gift-buying season). See, everything I've seen (including some sales numbers) shows that 3D sells. (And it sells with no advertising!) But for some reason, some retailers and the electronics industry seem hell-bent on trying to eliminate it. (And even one studio is trying as well...Hi Disney.)

Add in the ignorant (like EscapeVelocity, who should be watching VHS) and you can see the landscape things are in.
post #837 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL!
3D haters are the worst, citing cartoons from 10 years ago as if they're in any way representative of 3D films being made today.

Beat it kiddo! It's clear you were never a match for our logic.

P.S. I'm such a "fanboy" lol! that the last 3D movie I saw was 14 months ago! If anything 3D movies aren't ahot differently enough from 2D movies, that's why I've been so down on 3D movies lately: gotta look good and non-distracting and non-gimmicky for the 2D viewers.

I'm betting the reason you didn't go any further than Hugo, Tron and Polar Express bashing is because those are the only 3D movies you've seen...
marcuslaw likes this.
post #838 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Amazon is quite happy with the way most retailers handle 3D.
biotron2000 and marcuslaw like this.
post #839 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
My wife is not a big fan of our 3DTV, and my kids are 50/50 on it, but I'm firmly convinced
it's because it's an older Sony active 55" 3DTV where the glasses are heavier, the 3D image not always great, and you can't tilt your head to the side at all without ruining the 3D effect.

I'm also convinced that once I get a passive 3DTV the family will be asking for 3D movie night every weekend. Plus its a great excuse to get an even bigger TV. The big question is whether to drop the cash for the 4K this time around or not. I'm leaning toward yes to get the full HD passive 3D picture.

Last edited by johnny905; 12-03-2014 at 06:56 PM.
post #840 of 2989 Old 12-03-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL! The hideousnous done to The Hobbit films for 3D. Ugggh. You can easily see the 3D layers which look like the classic cheap/old/poorly done green screen effect of cutouts on a backround. Or the ridiculous (again extended) rollercoaster Goblin chase scene. The unnecessary fast pans on mountain tops to be showy of the 3D again with the obvious layer cuts.

As I said...

3D cant die fast enough. It sucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
blu-ray 3d , gearvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page