Is 3D about dead? - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 303Likes

post #991 of 1547 Old 01-12-2015, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Movies are the primary purpose for me. I stopped PC gaming ten years ago and have zero desire to go back to it. Just like I stopped using HTPCs many years ago too.
P.C. Richard & Son weekly ad has two pages of Sony 4k TV's, all with 3D.

http://www.pcrichard.com/content/weekly_ad#6

http://www.pcrichard.com/content/weekly_ad#7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1547 Old 01-12-2015, 10:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
I forgot about all the big TV sales leading up to the Superbowl.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #993 of 1547 Old 01-12-2015, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4902 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
post #994 of 1547 Old 01-13-2015, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

that would be sweet!!!

LED DLP
post #995 of 1547 Old 01-13-2015, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Lightbulb 4k 3d tv

At the very beginning of this video , someone from the media finally say's something positive about the obvious...........

Last edited by EVERRET; 01-13-2015 at 06:20 PM.
post #996 of 1547 Old 03-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anyone know of any NZB 3D sites?
Rich
post #997 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I am in the market for a new 3D TV. It seems like 3D is falling out of favor with 2014/13 models being the ones available. At least I do seem to be able to buy a few models. LK, Sony and Samsung are a few sets that I have been looking at. Thoughts on what TV to buy. I am looking at 42 inch to 49 inch. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I will be buying within the week.
Rich
post #998 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Samsung is a good place to start. ...By the way, there are roughly over 500+ Blu-ray 3D titles so far, from all over.
post #999 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1408 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Samsung is a good place to start. ...By the way, there are roughly over 500+ Blu-ray 3D titles so far, from all over.
It's popular overseas, and theatrical releases aren't likely to stop anyway, so thankfully there's still a reason to put it into TVs.

I'd strongly suggest a passive system.

Cogito ergo sum makes a fundamental mistake because it ignores the implied existence of the narrator. Descartes might as well have said "A rose is red, therefore I am".
post #1000 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
It's popular overseas, and theatrical releases aren't likely to stop anyway, so thankfully there's still a reason to put it into TVs.

I'd strongly suggest a passive system.
I would test both out to see which one you like best. Personally I prefer active 3D over passive.

LED DLP
post #1001 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would test both out to see which one you like best. Personally I prefer active 3D over passive.
^^^Good idea, however keep in mind that IME, your guests are not as likely to get headaches from passive. YMMV on this of course, but I've never had a negative feedback from this. Even an 89 year old loved it. (Sony KDL-60R550A).

That, and the glasses are very inexpensive and never need charging. I have a dozen and have the neighborhood kids over from time to time. So cute to watch them reaching out in mid-air.

Cogito ergo sum makes a fundamental mistake because it ignores the implied existence of the narrator. Descartes might as well have said "A rose is red, therefore I am".

Last edited by tgm1024; 04-18-2015 at 08:44 PM.
post #1002 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 05:46 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJH View Post
I am in the market for a new 3D TV. It seems like 3D is falling out of favor with 2014/13 models being the ones available. At least I do seem to be able to buy a few models. LK, Sony and Samsung are a few sets that I have been looking at. Thoughts on what TV to buy. I am looking at 42 inch to 49 inch. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I will be buying within the week.
Rich
2015 models are just starting to come out now

What is the most $ you can spend & why is 49" your limit.

Their is....... Passive (LG) vs Active (Samsung) ,....... 1080p vs 4K .............. Smart ? (connect to internet important ?)

Looks like you have a Frys close by ? so you can start here .... http://www.frys.com/search?query_sea...0&from=0&to=24

Also , if you want to see 3D movies like Frozen , Ratatouille , Maleficent , Planes Fire & Rescue , Insurgent , Big Hero 6 , Need for speed , Step Up 5 & many others to come ..... without having to worry about the "out of Country" Region Coding , Start off with a Region Free 3D BluRay player.
You can find them on Amazon & Ebay

Last edited by EVERRET; 04-18-2015 at 06:34 PM.
post #1003 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
^^^Good idea, however keep in mind that IME, your guests are not as likely to get headaches from active. YMMV on this of course, but I've never had a negative feedback from this. Even an 89 year old loved it. (Sony KDL-60R550A).

That, and the glasses are very inexpensive and never need charging. I have a dozen and have the neighborhood kids over from time to time. So cute to watch them reaching out in mid-air.
I've definitely has issues from passive. I'm much more likely to get a headache from home passive 3D than Active. I haven't had issues with theatrical 3D though.

I can wear the active glasses for my DLP set for many hours without a problem. But with my passive set my eyes feel very fatigued after an hour or two.

LED DLP
post #1004 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've definitely has issues from passive. I'm much more likely to get a headache from home passive 3D than Active. I haven't had issues with theatrical 3D though.

I can wear the active glasses for my DLP set for many hours without a problem. But with my passive set my eyes feel very fatigued after an hour or two.
^^^Very unusual. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the reverse.

There is no left right alternating flicker with passive. It's much easier on the neuro-optics. Plus, you don't see the ambient light strobed from around the TV.

post #1005 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

There is no left right alternating flicker with passive. It's much easier on the neuro-optics. Plus, you don't see the ambient light strobed from around the TV.
The only light on when watching 3D on my DLP TV is from the 6500K backlights which is LED based. I get no flickering from those LED lights. If I had any flickering then I would never watch any 3D in that room. That would just be too annoying.

LED DLP
post #1006 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bottom Line , Each person is different...... I see a rainbow effect with lines when i watch with passive 3D glasses , Yet my own Brother does Not see them . He does see the Flicker in Active glasses people mention , but yet I don't see the flicker unless i look directly at a separate bright light.

(Note: I have not tried passive 4K yet )
So each person needs to try both out to see what works or them , I am just happy they still have both.
post #1007 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think the OP should check for himself; with his own set of eyes, between 3D Active and 3D Passive.

Because what I might recommend might be the total opposite from his own eye's registration. Only him has to observe/experiment for himself.
post #1008 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I was having issues just awhile ago while watching content I filmed and played back on the BenQ 1070. I viewed first on LG passive upstairs and then again downstairs on the PJ. My eyes got a little fatigued with the PJ, actually causing my eyes to twitch. Up till now I haven't noticed it that much, my wife said it bothered her a little since we've had the PJ up. Never happens with passive. Hopefully it won't be too bad, I really like the PJ setup. 140" right in your face. Gravity was spectacular on it. Godzilla was definitely better this viewing. I'd say most 3D viewing going forward will be better downstairs. Also I'm able to sit dead center where the LG I had to sit back 11 feet on a 65" because of fireplace mounting. The 140" screen fills my entire vision at about the same distance. Leaping effects as well as depth are much better. Color and contrast much better of course on LCD panel. I don't notice any improvement with detail, that is with 1080p per eye, appears to be about the same.

I haven't been feeling the 3D love lately. Doesn't appear to be any movies I'm looking forward to. I've got a pretty good stock of movies already, so just rewatching some right now. Maybe Mad Max and Star Wars EP 7.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #1009 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

140" 3D screen's size; I envy you, I think. ...I do, for sure.
post #1010 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
Bottom Line , Each person is different...... I see a rainbow effect with lines when i watch with passive 3D glasses ,

A....................."rainbow effect". That's a new one! Does it change when you tilt your head or move subtly up and down, and what model TV do you have? I have to wonder if the FPR is misaligned.

post #1011 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I think the OP should check for himself; with his own set of eyes, between 3D Active and 3D Passive.

Because what I might recommend might be the total opposite from his own eye's registration. Only him has to observe/experiment for himself.
By doing what though, buying a TV and then returning it just to try another model? You can't test drive this stuff well in the store....many times active won't bother people until after watching for a while (half hour or hour into a movie or so perhaps?). Sometimes active will trigger discomfort immediately. If there's discomfort with passive, then I suspect that there's discomfort with all manner of 3D. The "false" stereopsis isn't perfect (and never could be) and some folks just cannot cope.

During Avatar in the theater, my sister in-law said that she was puking in the bathroom and she wasn't alone. LOL. My brother didn't see any guys in the bathroom that way, so perhaps there's a gender weighting to this.

Too bad for those few too, because when a 3D movie is spot on it can be jaw dropping beautiful.

post #1012 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

@ least @ the stores he can have a "3D feel" for. ...This is serious shopping when it involves your eyes; time is required.
post #1013 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
^^^Good idea, however keep in mind that IME, your guests are not as likely to get headaches from active. YMMV on this of course, but I've never had a negative feedback from this. Even an 89 year old loved it. (Sony KDL-60R550A).

I'm sure that's a typo. Tgm must have meant to write passive. [The Sony KDL-60R550A is a passive 3D set.]

Quote:

With an LED display that uses a film-type patterned retarder (to provide the Left and Right views on alternate lines for people wearing passive glasses) it is important to have the display screen at a compatible height (and angle, if the display is tilted) for the intended viewing position, so as to minimize ghosting. If that is done then the passive 3D should be calm and soothing compared with 120Hz active glasses 3D from a plasma or LED display. That is the usual, reported, experience. 4k passive sets provide an even better 3D experience than Full HD passive sets as the horizontal lines are so dense that the pattern of black horizontal lines that can be visible at closer viewing distances with a full HD 3D passive set when wearing 3D glasses, becomes invisible or negligible.

Active glasses DLP is a different technology to plasma or LED active 3D and can provide extremely low ghosting, potentially reducing viewer discomfort. However with most home DLP projectors the alternation rate for Blu-ray 24fps 3D material has been at only 120Hz, potentially a fatiguing alternation rate for a viewer, and not as smooth to watch as the 144Hz alternation rate used at a RealD public cinema (or by 144Hz 3D DLP projectors such as the BenQ W1070). Another factor coming into play is that projectors are usually watched in a dark room, and project low light levels, tending to reduce eye fatigue from alternation between the Left and Right views, all other things being equal. On the other hand, the large image size of a projector can exacerbate how noticeable the out of phase effect between presentation of the Left and Right views is for a 120Hz alternation rate.
post #1014 of 1547 Old 04-18-2015, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXX View Post
I'm sure that's a typo. Tgm must have meant to write passive. [The Sony KDL-60R550A is a passive 3D set.]
Indeed, thanks! Fixed.

I'm borderline exhausted. Original sentence was akin to "more headaches from active"----I meant to reverse the logic in both halves of the sentence and neglected the 2nd half. Oops.

Last edited by tgm1024; 04-20-2015 at 09:44 AM.
post #1015 of 1547 Old 04-20-2015, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would just advise you to do significant research before deciding on active vs passive. There are pros and cons to both. IMHO the application matters a lot. For my light controlled theater, my active system is perfect for us. My wife is sensitive to flicker, so active would not likely be an option for us in a living room. There is a lot of bias in this debate, but the folks here do a good job of providing objective, unbiased information.
post #1016 of 1547 Old 04-20-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just got into 3D this year with an acer H6510bd and primarly wanted it for use with my PC. Gaming on this thing is amazeballs and can't believe this type of setup isnt promoted more. The only problem I'm having is that the content is too big for my screen so I either need to bring the screen closer or buy some blackout fabric and make the displayed content fit on a 108"w X 72"h area. I love this stuff now!
EVERRET likes this.
post #1017 of 1547 Old 04-21-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't know about Active 3D from personal experience but I've found that for my 65" LG 4K passive 3D FALD LCD TV that the ghosting is pretty darn terrible if the viewer's eye level is much below the center of the screen.

On the main HT couch my eldest daughter didn't want to watch 3D anymore with me as she complained it was too blurry and bothered her, my youngest sat through it without complaint. I was worried a bit about my eldest daughter's vision and she may be needing glasses (like both her parents!).

However, I then noticed that if I slouch or recline slightly in the couch that the ghosting suddenly appears or becomes instantly worse.

So I got my girls to bring the firm cushions down from another couch to stack up on the HT room couch with the approximate 4" increase in sitting height making them extremely happy and willing to watch 3D movies now. Their eye level would now be similar to mine and almost on the TV's vertical midpoint.

So on my TV it is very important to have your eye level at the screen midpoint to prevent ghosting and/or blurry 3D.
marcuslaw likes this.

Last edited by DoDaLeCa; 04-23-2015 at 05:42 AM.
post #1018 of 1547 Old 04-21-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Isn't that true with any 1080P passive set? No idea about UHD 3D sets.

LED DLP
post #1019 of 1547 Old 04-21-2015, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 105
mines active UHD, but I only ever watch mine from straight on. Even up close though it still looks good
post #1020 of 1547 Old 04-21-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Isn't that true with any 1080P passive set? No idea about UHD 3D sets.
4K passive has a much tighter vertical viewing angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Tags
blu-ray 3d , gearvr

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page