12Likes

post #181 of 472 Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 119
More news about 3D on the international scene:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/international-3d-festival-opens-south-665544

SEOUL — The International 3D Festival 2013 opened Friday in Coex, southern Seoul. Held annually by the South Korean Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, the event has gathered industry insiders from the U.S., China, France, and Japan to discuss recent trends in 3D and VFX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 472 Old 12-16-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

I don't know about XB one but, I've been assured that 3D and in UHD will be on the PS4 when they get to it with the firmware updates. The hardware is capable. No time frame announced. Some of us also want to know if the PS4 will do AVCHD in 3D as well. I didn't get an answer to that but likely it will.

FYI- I posted this elsewhere but, once again the FUD people had it wrong. Netflix 3D section is back and the streaming I viewed tonight was great. Saw a new offering too that was an interesting action movie, "Don 2" I don't recall seeing this one in the 3D section last month. Was it there and I missed it? If not then this is a new 3D release for us.

Great news. Was 3D back to being its own genre, so you can find them easily? As far as you can tell are the IMAX titles all there and working? Can't wait to start watching some of these. FWIW, I also don't remember a "Don 2" being in the list when I was looking before the shut down.

EDIT: Sorry found the answer in the Netflix 3D thread.
post #183 of 472 Old 12-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvh4 View Post

Great news. Was 3D back to being its own genre, so you can find them easily? As far as you can tell are the IMAX titles all there and working?

I could't play several selections. I was trying to play certain kid's programs but I got error messages with some of them. I remember one was "I Heart Shakey"(?) and some animated fare.

Does anyone know if Netflix is completely back with 3D or is Netflix still rolling in titles? If it's latter, why is Netflix displaying programs that are not ready for viewing? mad.gif
post #184 of 472 Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt Clark View Post

Apostate..being that you mentioned Philly suburb..I don't know if you're near Viva Video in Ardmore..they have Avatar, Iron Man 3, Pina, Man of Steel, Wreck It Ralph, Star Trek Into Darkness, Static, Upside Down, World War Z, Escape From Planet Earth, Pacific Rim
Brave, Wolverine, Great Gatsby and Hugo all for rent

Thanks! I didn't know brick-and-mortar video stores still existed in Philly area. Unfortunately, Ardmore is 30-40 minutes away; a bit too far for me.

I wonder if there is any video stores closer to where I am. I just assumed the video stores went extinct in Philly. I didn't even consider that independent video stores may still be around.
post #185 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So after the the announcement at CES that Vizio are doing away 3d completely is the fate of it is more less inevitable at least at home? people on here have said that they believe it'll continue on as more a "niche" thing but now I'm not so sure.
post #186 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-90 View Post

So after the the announcement at CES that Vizio are doing away 3d completely is the fate of it is more less inevitable at least at home? people on here have said that they believe it'll continue on as more a "niche" thing but now I'm not so sure.

I think the Vizio announcement was a huge blow to 3D. Vizio sells the most TVs in the US. So if none of their new sets will have 3D, I would think this might be the beginning of the end for 3D at home. It was already a niche, but when the biggest US seller drops it, it seems like it's only a matter of time until it's gone.
Apostate likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #187 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I think the Vizio announcement was a huge blow to 3D. Vizio sells the most TVs in the US. So if none of their new sets will have 3D, I would think this might be the beginning of the end for 3D at home. It was already a niche, but when the biggest US seller drops it, it seems like it's only a matter of time until it's gone.
Unfortunately I think your observation is correct.
Apostate likes this.
post #188 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I was hoping for some form of reassurance but yeah, sadly that looks to be the the reality of things.
Apostate likes this.
post #189 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I was hoping for some form of reassurance but yeah, sadly that looks to be the the reality of things.
And I was just getting into it.
Ebb and flow. But this would appear to be a major setback.
post #190 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Yeah, the Vizio announcement is bad news for 3D, but there is some silver lining. They will continue to sell the 2013 model 3D TVs and they are still continuing work on their glasses free 3D with Dolby, and they will continue to monitor the market. I won't be naive, they have one foot out of 3D and the other foot could follow at any minute, but at least they still have a foot in . . .
post #191 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I prefer 3D Projectors than a 3D TV. Which begs the question, Which is selling more: 3D Projectors or 3D TVs?
post #192 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Shhh. Don't let Don Landis hear you say that. He'll start his rage again and you'll be branded as a Debbie Downer troll. wink.gif
Don Landis likes this.
post #193 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 02:26 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

I prefer 3D Projectors than a 3D TV. Which begs the question, Which is selling more: 3D Projectors or 3D TVs?

IDK about home projectors but i far prefer my TV when watching 3D over a movie theatre. But I have a passive display and i do like a brighter image. I have read that home projectors do a better job than the local cinema does too so maybe they will post their opinions.

TV: Sony KDL-70R550a
AV: Sony DH740
Center: Polk CS2 Series 2
L/R: Polk Monitor 70 Series 2
Side/Rear Surrounds: Polk Monitor 40 Series 2
Sub-woofers: Polk PSW10 (x2)
post #194 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGTweed View Post

Considering that far more TVs are sold than projectors, by deduction, I'll guess more 3D TVs are sold than 3D projectors.
old corps likes this.
post #195 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

people on here have said that they believe it'll continue on as more a "niche" thing but now I'm not so sure.

There are too many (much?) 3D hardware and software out there for 3D to die completely. At worst, it'll be like LD from the days gone by. Who knows? With the advent of glasses-free 3D, the genre might rise from the coma it's in right now. It's not being reported yet but Ultra D and Sharp. so far, are displaying glasses-free 3D TVs at 2014 CES.
post #196 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:

I would suggest to all of those whose interest in 3D is more than just "fad of the moment" to write to Vizio and express your dissatisfaction.
I doubt it will have an impact but every way we can vote we should: be it with our dollars or our words.

Just a thought. I really do enjoy the quality 3D has become in the last couple of years.
Last night we watched Hugo 3D and it was well done.

Just found this in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever View Post

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/ces-vizio-isnt-giving-up-on-3d-thinks-glasses-free-is-the-way-to-go CES: VIZIO ISN'T GIVING UP ON 3D, THINKS 'GLASSES FREE IS THE WAY TO GO' Vizio showed off a prototype 3D 4K resolution television at CES. BY: JUSTIN RUBIO JANUARY 7, 2014 Without a doubt, 3D television technology has been completely eclipsed by 4K TVs at this year's CES, and popular manufacturer Vizio has even gone as far as showcasing an entire new retail line of televisions that do not include 3D capabilities. However, while the company looks to be concentration on the budding 4K market more than anything else, it hasn't completely given up on 3D. In addition to its new HD and 4K TVs, Vizio also had a proof-of-concept 55-inch 3D television on display at CES that pushed out 4K resolution. But the company is carefully planning out the technology it will use in the televisions, if they ever even reach store shelves. "We think glasses-free is the way to go," a Vizio spokesperson told IGN. In fact, the prototype television featured an impressive 14 3D viewing angles. Vizio also said it was working with Dolby 3D technology for its television. At this point, there's no tentative launch window for a new 3D television from Vizio, but we do know that the company hasn't completely turned its back on the technology, even though its clear the trend is moving towards higher-resolution displays instead.
post #197 of 472 Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post

I would suggest to all of those whose interest in 3D is more than just "fad of the moment" to write to Vizio and express your dissatisfaction.
I doubt it will have an impact but every way we can vote we should: be it with our dollars or our words.

Just a thought. I really do enjoy the quality 3D has become in the last couple of years.
Last night we watched Hugo 3D and it was well done.

Just found this in another thread:

That's correct. They also plan to continue to sell the 2013 models with 3D.
post #198 of 472 Old 01-08-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm curious. I have read that the Vizio 3D sets used LG screens, which would make sense since LG also had passive 3D technology. If that's the case, I wonder if Vizio's dropping of 3D might be related to the possible ending of an arrangement with LG as of 2014 (not that I've heard of anything like that actually happening).
post #199 of 472 Old 01-09-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

I'm curious. I have read that the Vizio 3D sets used LG screens, which would make sense since LG also had passive 3D technology. If that's the case, I wonder if Vizio's dropping of 3D might be related to the possible ending of an arrangement with LG as of 2014 (not that I've heard of anything like that actually happening).

They actually do use LG screens...I was able to get into the service menu and noted that the panel was identified as an LG panel. However, I don't understand this move on Vizio's part...at least not this early in the "glasses-free 3D" game. The FPR panels do present technical issues when used in the smaller UHDTVs (Sony's 55" model cannot display 1080p while in 3D mode), and Vizio's partnership with 3DGo! has been less than successful (the streaming app simply will not work with some models even though they're listed as being "compatible").

I suppose we will just have to see if glasses-free 3D is ready for primetime. I've watched a couple of interviews with the execs from UltraD, and they explained that content must first be converted to their proprietary format in order for it to work with any TV that incorporates their technology. I expect that the other types of glasses-free 3D have the similar limitations as well.
post #200 of 472 Old 01-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

I think you hit the nail on the head. IIRC, I read that Vizio is using Sharp and AUO panels for 2014 models. No LG = no 3D, sounds about right.
post #201 of 472 Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Rudy-
The ultra D system does require conversion but their system does this behind the scenes, this year, in the form of a special chip on a small circuit board inside the set. The conversion should not be of any concern to the viewer, anymore than every set also converts AC power to various DC voltages to run the TV.
post #202 of 472 Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The ultra D system does require conversion but their system does this behind the scenes, this year, in the form of a special chip on a small circuit board inside the set. The conversion should not be of any concern to the viewer, anymore than every set also converts AC power to various DC voltages to run the TV.

I read your posts on Ultra-D in other threads, Don Landis. I take it you give it two thumbs up. Now the $5000 question is, is Ultra-D ready for prime time? Will you buy it when it comes out?

I don't have a shred of doubt when it comes to your expertise on 3D but I wonder if you'll be unbiased when it comes to actual judging of PQ or you'll give automatic thumbs up because it's 3D. cool.gif
post #203 of 472 Old 01-13-2014, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
We have to remember that the cable channels, and especially media streamers, etc. are way behind the hi-def curve, and mobile is taking over and it's compressed (read low tech) video for now (ala youtube and flash) and a lot of it is just plain garbage. A whole change in video infrastructure needs to take place for 4K/Ultra to grow mainstream. It will take many years for that to happen. The cable companies are stretched now, and you can see that Netflix has reached a technical limit of sorts--they can't get 3D sent with any real speed yet. Just saying.
post #204 of 472 Old 01-18-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:

My biggest source of hope is actually the 3D offerings from Starz and HBO. They tend to have their pulse on the industry.

Though the UI design is hopelessly inept, the FIOS interface does allow you access to a section of current 3D movies to rent.  Usually $5.99 to $7.99.  I know renting sucks, but it's there. hey have what looks to be a large selection of major titles, including StarTrek into darkness 3D, The man of steel 3D, etc.

It's absurdly hidden under their "Collections" section.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #205 of 472 Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Though the UI design is hopelessly inept, the FIOS interface does allow you access to a section of current 3D movies to rent.  Usually $5.99 to $7.99.  I know renting sucks, but it's there. hey have what looks to be a large selection of major titles, including StarTrek into darkness 3D, The man of steel 3D, etc.

This has been pretty much my experience on Comcast Xfinity as well. The new interface on the X1 box makes finding this a little faster. Right now though I can bring up Starz or HBO, but it won't show what content is 3D until I select a program to watch. On the other hand I can sort all content by 3D, but I don't know if its a rental or free with my subscription until I select it to watch.
post #206 of 472 Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

This has been pretty much my experience on Comcast Xfinity as well. The new interface on the X1 box makes finding this a little faster. Right now though I can bring up Starz or HBO, but it won't show what content is 3D until I select a program to watch. On the other hand I can sort all content by 3D, but I don't know if its a rental or free with my subscription until I select it to watch.

Having a single search criteria is absolutely annoying.  I'm sure the general public would get even more confused then.  BTW, the comcast guys' idea of a UI made me want to hit the STB with a sledgehammer.  Seriously, their design drove me NUTS.

FIOS is better, but has that single search criteria thing.  Annoying.  What they should do is have a button on the remote which toggles Techie vs. Joe 6-pack interfaces, so we can get what we want.

Actually, can anyone help me with this: I desperately need an interface that I can search through easily (android app, or website or both) that I can click off the channels I'm interested in (including FIOS rental), and netflix, hulu, and Amazon, and say: What do we have for free in sci-fi.  Or what's the latest box-office smash movies.  Etc.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #207 of 472 Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Having a single search criteria is absolutely annoying.  I'm sure the general public would get even more confused then.  BTW, the comcast guys' idea of a UI made me want to hit the STB with a sledgehammer.  Seriously, their design drove me NUTS.

FIOS is better, but has that single search criteria thing.  Annoying.  What they should do is have a button on the remote which toggles Techie vs. Joe 6-pack interfaces, so we can get what we want.

Actually, can anyone help me with this: I desperately need an interface that I can search through easily (android app, or website or both) that I can click off the channels I'm interested in (including FIOS rental), and netflix, hulu, and Amazon, and say: What do we have for free in sci-fi.  Or what's the latest box-office smash movies.  Etc.

It's an industry wide issue. Vudu is the same way. You can sort by 3D or by rental, but not isolate 3D rentals on their app. You have to hover over the title and see if its "buy from xxx" or "rent from xxx" I find the new streamlined Netflix app to be a pain also. It's this whole move to blocky, mock mobile devices, Window 8 movement. Simple is NOT always better. Unfortunately the technologically inept are a large segment of the market. This is not solely a main stream issue. How many high-end devices catered toward video/audiophiles still have awkward labyrinth style menus?
post #208 of 472 Old 01-22-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

I read your posts on Ultra-D in other threads, Don Landis. I take it you give it two thumbs up. Now the $5000 question is, is Ultra-D ready for prime time? Will you buy it when it comes out?

I don't have a shred of doubt when it comes to your expertise on 3D but I wonder if you'll be unbiased when it comes to actual judging of PQ or you'll give automatic thumbs up because it's 3D. cool.gif

I've given it no thumbs but did say it is ready for prime time. If you read all my posts on it I've been pretty consistent on the image quality. To repeat-
I said it does not appear to be as detailed and sharp as true LCD passive 4K TV's but better than 1080p TV's
I said it works as a glasses free 3D TV and is probably better suited for advertising panel in commercial applications. Here the ad will be an eye grabber and head turner which is what is needed in ads.
I said the main artifact continues to be a wobble of the image as you move your viewing position horizontally. The depth appears to go in and out. While there are many sweetspots for full depth, if you are off this, the depth can disappear.
The Ultra D image is better than the Dolby 3D system which has a larger "dot pitch" to the screen.
It is ready for prime time also because until this year the electronics for the signal conversion was too bulky. They reduced it to a chip and small circuit board that fits inside the TV case.
If a 50" TV size works for you and glasses free is top priority, this TV may be what satisfies if you don't mind the wobble. Getting used to a slightly softer 4K image is not difficult until you watch it side by side to a good Sony or LG 4K passive.

Will I personally buy one? Likely not. My reason is when I put a budget to a small panel, 4K TV it needs to be better than what I am now using in my edit suite. More likely that will be a passive LED 3d 4K panel that is 32 inches if they ever make one that size. I have a space limitation. I have never complained about hating wearing glasses. I only post this stuff for those who can't get to the shows and glasses free is their top priority. As for my home theater, I would install a 65" panel behind the roll down 105" screen for daytime viewing, but based on what I see today and the enjoyment of my bigger screen, I just don't want to spend the money, even for a 65" LED version. I don't like OLED due to the high reflection.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions but I believe the above summarizes everything I'm already posted here and in the Satelliteguys CES threads.
Apostate, old corps and jvh4 like this.
post #209 of 472 Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I said it does not appear to be as detailed and sharp as true LCD passive 4K TV's but better than 1080p TV's

Better than 1080p is good enough for me. (You mean full 1080-line, not 540-line picture like passive 3D, right?)

As to "wobble," doesn't that happen with current 3D TV as well? I thought I saw the picture shift some when I moved my head with my passive 3D TV.
post #210 of 472 Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Quote:

Better than 1080p is good enough for me. (You mean full 1080-line, not 540-line picture like passive 3D, right?)

As to "wobble," doesn't that happen with current 3D TV as well? I thought I saw the picture shift some when I moved my head with my passive 3D TV.

I don't think I've ever seen that.  I'm not sure why it would.

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page