Oblivion in 2D to 3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Yeah, it's sad that movies like Oblivion were not made in 3D. It would have added a lot. Wait a minute, I've got a Sony 590 player that does 2D to 3D, and wow. I usually don't like 2D to 3D as it doesn't add much, especially to interior shots, but with lots of external shots of broad landscapes, it rocks. And this movie has 90% exterior shots. I can say that the real time conversion made the movie for me. As for the movie, probably the most contrived movie I've seen in years, but once past that it's a visual hayride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I also find that outdoor landscapes fare best with most TVs' 2D>3D conversion. I remember watching Planet of the Apes and The Mummy (the recent Brendan Fraser version) and even my 2010 Samsung plasma was able to pump out some pretty impressive looking 3D images when the action was outdoors. I'll be curious to see how my TVs handle Oblivion down the road.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Have you tried also playing with the "perspective" 3D setting to adjust the depth? I bet you could squeeze out a little bit more realism out of that setting. A lot depends on specific scenery, screen size and viewing distance though.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I love Oblivion, saw it in IMAX and then 10 more times at my own 106" home theater. But I am not sure what benefit could I get from watching it in 3D as this movie is filled with great landscapes where natural three dimensional human perception almost disappears as it when standing at the top of the grand canyon rim and looking straight ahead.

On the other hand it could be interesting to watch it ... again artificially converted to 3D.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Threed123

I decided to see in 2D to 3D on my bluray as well--I have the same Sony 590 too, and you are right it does add something. I put the separation on -2 and it really adds spaciousness to the scenes. Thanks for letting us know.
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page