3D BD - Prices going up?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it just me, or are 3D BD prices going up? I have paid $15 for plenty of 3D BD in the past, and will pay $20 when I have to. It basically made my jaw drop that Amazon's price for The Little Mermaid didn't drop below $34.90. I know they had a pre-order coupon, but that would have brought it down to $26.90.

Recently I bought Jurassic Park for $20 from Best Buy, Star Trek ID from Walmart for $20, Iron Man 3 (with coupon) for $22 at Walmart.

$25 should be the high expectation for a 3D release, I think. I don't know anyone who is willing to pay $35.

I didn't see any deals on Pacific Rim, Little Mermaid, and don't expect any on Monster's Inc or Despicable Me 2 at this point. My fear is that the higher prices will cut into sales (I know they will cut into my purchases) and then poor sales will be blamed on lack of interest and they will declare 3D over.
SFMike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

I didn't see any deals on Pacific Rim, Little Mermaid, and at this point don't expect any on Monster's Inc or Despicable Me 2 at this point. My fear is that the higher prices will cut into sales (I know they will cut into my purchases) and then poor sales will be blamed on lack of interest and they will declare 3D over.

I feel the same way as you regarding the possibility of the 3D disc higher pricing and lack of distribution and promotion being a corporate ploy to engineer low sales as an excuse to declare 3D over and end 3D disc production. Disney in particular is suspious with their botched 3D release of one the the best 3D produced films "OZ the Great And Powerful". As you may recall they half heartedly released this as a single 3D blu-ray with a 3 disc combo pack price. Also many stores did not even carry the title in 3D on its release date. It really seemed to me they were trying to prove low sales on this one.

In regard to The Little Mermaid, they cancelled the 3D theatrical re-release and only released the overpriced combo pack on blu-ray. I feel Disney will soon get out of 3D except for the Marvel superhero conversions that probably would not be done if 3D was not so popular in Asia. Anyway, I do not trust our corporate masters when it comes to any product that doesn't make a huge profit.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-28-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Glad I'm not the only tinfoil hat in the room.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-28-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I wait a couple of weeks and buy them used from Amazon sellers. Usually save a few bucks.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #5 of 11 Old 10-28-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

I wait a couple of weeks and buy them used from Amazon sellers. Usually save a few bucks.

I do that too. Sometimes the prices go down. Usually patience is rewarded- I just wish I had more. smile.gif
post #6 of 11 Old 10-28-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I think that the high pricing is crippling the advancement of 3D in homes. I know I've backed off recently. Most are pushing $30 and that's fine if you're not really interested in promoting 3D.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I don't think this is really an issue atm, the demand isn't high at home as it will remain a niche for quite some time. I just have learnt to wait it out. I vary rarely fell the need to have to have a film on the day of its release anymore especially when I can wait 3 months and buy it with two or three other blu-rays for the same price. This goes for both 2d and 3d releases.

Note: I do live in Australia and 3d blu-rays and 2d blu-rays at release are generally ludicrously expensive (think $40 to $50 isn't all that uncommon).
post #8 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not so sure that they are trying to kill 3D, could just be greed. Corporations can't get enough and you are not getting that extra dimension for free. Not that it's enough to simply charge more, you have to run your scams because the corporate boy wonders think people exist to farm for money. So you get multi disc sets with 3 formats you will never use that they try and ask double for, collectors editions without anything collectable, etc. Not for this boy, I wait until the price drops substantially. I also sell all the extra discs after waiting for that price drop. Why? It warms my heart to see the sale lost to those who can never be sated and it's not legal to give them the hanging they deserve so a person has to make due.

Did I mention I hate corporate greed? smile.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The problem is that if everyone goes into a wait and see if prices drop, then no one is buying them new and therefore there are no used copies. Demand is not measured by sales of used copies, it is measured by the sale of new copies.

No sales of new copies will be interpreted as no demand. No demand means no future releases.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhonzi View Post

The problem is that if everyone goes into a wait and see if prices drop, then no one is buying them new and therefore there are no used copies. Demand is not measured by sales of used copies, it is measured by the sale of new copies.

No sales of new copies will be interpreted as no demand. No demand means no future releases.

When I wait I am a still buying a new copy what is does signal is customers are not willing to pay such a high price. What many companies then do (stupidly) is further put up the price assuming those buying at first will continue to do so, which just breaks the most basic economic of economic principles it is laughable, yet it is still done.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-29-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 142
It really boils down to that we, as (mostly) American consumers recoil at the idea of being taken advantage of. The marketing of 3D DVD's in my mind is not a good value. Simple as that. Our mind set is we expect value for the dollar. Hence the phrase "bang for the buck". TV's, cars, furniture, carpet, houses, food etc. You name the product and it better meet our expectations.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page