Watching 2D Blu-ray in 3D... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry I could not find any thread on this topic, or anywhere on the net for that matter, probably because it's given answer....

I am going to ask it anyways...

Can you play a 2D Blu-ray Disc in 3D mode and come out looking like it's in 3D?

please be easy on me you guy's... I am just learning about the technology
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhorn007 View Post

Sorry I could not find any thread on this topic, or anywhere on the net for that matter, probably because it's given answer....

Many displays and players will do this, the results however are terrible. A good 3d conversion costs somewhere between $50,000 and $100,000 a minute last I heard, nothing you will find that is automated is worth it.
cakefoo and old corps like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

You can try, but the results range from horrible to ok depending on the movie in question and the technique/system used to convert.

I found my LG TV did a reasonable job on the new Total Recall movie and Looper also turned out ok.

But some movies are just a mess and hurt your eyes.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #4 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

As others have said, results will be hit or miss and the quality varies wildly from one device to another and one title to another. I also own an LG 3DTV and find it does a decent job of converting to 3D but the results will never be mistaken for native 3D and even when using it on the 2D version of a 3D movie, the experience is not the same. It also trips up on certain colors as it tends to push black items back into the screen and red items forward, regardless of whether that was the correct intention or not.

You should also be aware that no 2D>3D converter that I know of (either built-in to a TV or BluRay player or a standalone unit) will be able to replicate pop out effects. 2D>3D converters are all about depth into the screen, not pop-out effects.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Simple answer is yes. Quality answer is so-so. Search for 3D-Bee on this site and on the Internet. I think it's the most popular 2D-3D real-time converter out there. I owned one for a while, but didn't like it. That said, I found my Sony 590 bluray player does a decent job on blurays that have lots of moving outdoor scenery. I've found movies like Oblivion to be enjoyable, and a plus is that both eyes get a separate 1080p image, thus doubling the apparent resolution in your brain--it's a phenomena that a lot of us discovered when we bought our first 720p 3D projectors. What the Sony does is push a static scene back into the 3D window plane to around infinity. When objects move, it appears to then extrapolate where the objects are relative to the window. Those that move most are put closer to the window, and those that move least are put at infinity. You can adjust infinity also by increasing the separation of the images. It also has a feature that allows you to enter the diagonal size of your screen and will keep infinity at about 2.5 inches of separation regardless of screen size. The 3D-Bee works on a totally different algorithm. From what I understand, it looks at contrast and luminance of the image and determines those objects closest to the screen to have the more contrast and those in the distant less--or something like that--using the focusing method of many digital cameras. That said, you will see 3D, but a lot of it doesn't make sense--faraway object will appear close and close objects appear faraway. Another algorithm used by some 2D-3D converters is the bottom up method. Assuming that what is at the bottom of the screen is closer to you and what is at eye level is at infinity. This creates a bending effect of the objects on close up scene--people appear as if they are bending backwards. I don't think there will ever be a converter that works correctly. There is just no way in a static image to determine far and near objects without movement.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-18-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 174
The best conversion I have seen so far is with Ultra PowerDVD 13. I was somewhat taken aback by how effective it was. I tried an older version a couple of years ago and it was not very convincing. The newest version is very good and although I did notice some anomalies here and there the 3D was overall quite good. I now feel that on-the-fly 3D conversion that will be so good that most viewers will think it is "real" 3D is a distinct possibility within the next couple of years.

Edit: Having spent more time with PowerDVD Ultra 13 I am not so enthusiastic as I was about its performance. I'm seeing more and more depth errors and this programme seems to impact the amount of light getting to the screen in a negative way (more so than other 3D). Here's hoping this programme can continue to be improved. It's better than it was, but still has a way to go. For some material it does a very good job; however, for other material it makes 2D look like the only reasonable option.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-28-2013, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

The best conversion I have seen so far is with Ultra PowerDVD 13. I was somewhat taken aback by how effective it was. I tried an older version a couple of years ago and it was not very convincing. The newest version is very good and although I did notice some anomalies here and there the 3D was overall quite good. I now feel that on-the-fly 3D conversion that will be so good that most viewers will think it is "real" 3D is a distinct possibility within the next couple of years.

Edit: Having spent more time with PowerDVD Ultra 13 I am not so enthusiastic as I was about its performance. I'm seeing more and more depth errors and this programme seems to impact the amount of light getting to the screen in a negative way (more so than other 3D). Here's hoping this programme can continue to be improved. It's better than it was, but still has a way to go. For some material it does a very good job; however, for other material it makes 2D look like the only reasonable option.

I agree with you that PowerDVD 13 Ultra provides the best conversion. Considering the hurdles that any on-the-fly conversion process must tackle, I'm apparently more impressed than you are. I think that its results are often flat-out amazing -- certainly not all scenes or all movies, but enough to make viewing worthwhile. For example, I had watched the old DVD of HOUSE OF WAX many times using this software, and when I watched the recent 3D Blu-ray I was startled as to just how closely many converted scenes came to the "real thing." I've had good experiences with a wide number of movies including STARSHIP TROOPERS, SPIDERMAN 2, and (especially) Peter Jackson's KING KONG. STAR WARS IV-VI also converted well. The latest surprise was the George Pal WAR OF THE WORLDS, especially the night scene when the ominous heat ray device makes its first appearance. The rendering of a sense of place was quite remarkable.

Frankly, I find it incredible that this technology works at all. If somebody had told me ten years ago that such a thing was even possible, I think that I wouldn't have believed it. And I agree that it is getting better. I've owned every version of PowerDVD that had the 3D conversion feature, and the improvements have been noteworthy.

It's far from being perfect, but I think that if one watches a converted movie with modest expectations, pleasant surprises are often to be had. I get a lot of enjoyment out of seeing what my old favorites look like when they are converted. I look forward to watching more, and I also look forward to continued improvement in this technology.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-19-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I have now used the 2D to 3D conversion in the Mits HC8000 for a few weeks now and I'm sold. Again, it's not perfect but it's much improved over PowerDVD Ultra 13's conversion, which until I used the Mits I thought was really good.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:

I have now used the 2D to 3D conversion in the Mits HC8000 for a few weeks now and I'm sold. Again, it's not perfect but it's much improved over PowerDVD Ultra 13's conversion, which until I used the Mits I thought was really good.

SO there is a big difference? I've tried 2D to 3D on my Mitsubishi set and also from my Sony S5100 BD player, but the results seemed the same from both of them. And was certainly nowhere near as good as the 3D BD.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #10 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I just spotted a great deal on a Mits HC7900 and am tempted to spring for it given what you say about the 2D-to-3D conversion. If it's that much better than PowerDVD 13 Ultra, I might have to go for it. My biggest hesitation is that conversion technology is (or should be) evolving and improving over time, and a hardware solution such as a projector is locked into the current capabilities. But I'm thinking about it anyway...
post #11 of 11 Old 01-26-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrh View Post

I just spotted a great deal on a Mits HC7900 and am tempted to spring for it given what you say about the 2D-to-3D conversion. If it's that much better than PowerDVD 13 Ultra, I might have to go for it. My biggest hesitation is that conversion technology is (or should be) evolving and improving over time, and a hardware solution such as a projector is locked into the current capabilities. But I'm thinking about it anyway...

OK -- I now own both the HC8000 and the HC7900. The conversion is the same on both and both are the best I've seen yet. PowerDVD Ultra 13 has pretty good conversion but in my opinion it is pretty much in your face 3D and it causes some eye strain for me. The Mits system even set to 10 (settings 1 to 10) doesn't cause me any discomfort and is a very nice enhancement, if you're into 3D. I ran into a problem with both projectors and 2D to 3D conversion. I originally fed the signal from my Oppo BD player to my receiver (I have a Yamaha and a Onkyo) and then to my projector. The 7900 wouldn't do conversion at all and the 8000 had a really messed up conversion. The Oppo has two HDMI outs so I tried running one to the receiver and the other to the projector, bypassing the video from the receiver. I had to do the same with my computer -- 2 HDMI outs with one to the receiver and the other to the projector. Now the 2D to 3D conversion worked and it worked extremely well. I have no idea what the receivers do to cause a problem, but they do something. It was pretty frustrating for awhile. The HC7900 can be purchased for around $799.00 and its a great projector. For 3D a Da-lite HP screen (2.4 gain) works really well, or should (I use the older 2.8 gain HP screen). To get the most gain from a retro-reflective screen like the HP you would probably need to table mount the projector as close to eye height as possible. 2D to 3D conversion looks great but native 3D movies are absolutely stunning -- sharp, clear and detailed 3D with amazingly detailed backgrounds -- and absolutely no ghosting. Ghost-free all the way! The frame interpolation works great (no SO effect) in 3D for an extremely smooth and detailed image. I liked the Mits so much for 3D I bought the HC7900 for a smaller HT room I have. I consider both to be major bargains. Also the cheap PS3 3D glasses work great with these projectors.

Here's what Projector Central had to say about the Mit's 2D to 3D conversion:

"However, its one key advantage over the competition we've seen thus far is superior 2D to 3D conversion. Those with large 2D Blu-ray collections who want to see them in very satisfying 3D conversion would be well advised to take a close look at the HC8000D-BL."

I concur. Blade Runner looked great along with Dune and Serenity. I'm having another look at my old HD-DVD collection.
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page