Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Anybody planning on picking up Metallica Through the Never 3d on blu this coming Tues? I did not catch this in theaters, but I cant wait to check it out on 3d blu!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z-g053X390

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-25-2014, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I think I'll rent it first. If it's anything like Cunning Stunts I'll buy it, but not in 3d.

I remember when products were built to last.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM

Liked: 10
After seeing the trailer, I made an extra effort to see it in IMAX 3D when it was playing. I'm really really glad I did, it was fantastic. Although the non-concert stuff was utter nonsense, the concert footage (along with the audio, which was LOUD) was awesome. It was easy to forget it was just a movie, it was so immersive. I had to stop myself from applauding after "One." And the live staging was very creative, not just a band up there performing. Based on how much I enjoyed it, I ended up getting it in 3D earlier today, though I'm under no illusion that the home experience will measure up to the theatrical experience. Unfortunately, they chose to sell 2D & 3D as separate editions; I would've preferred a package that included both, but at least Best Buy's price for each was reasonable.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-28-2014, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch12 View Post

After seeing the trailer, I made an extra effort to see it in IMAX 3D when it was playing. I'm really really glad I did, it was fantastic. Although the non-concert stuff was utter nonsense, the concert footage (along with the audio, which was LOUD) was awesome. It was easy to forget it was just a movie, it was so immersive. I had to stop myself from applauding after "One." And the live staging was very creative, not just a band up there performing. Based on how much I enjoyed it, I ended up getting it in 3D earlier today, though I'm under no illusion that the home experience will measure up to the theatrical experience. Unfortunately, they chose to sell 2D & 3D as separate editions; I would've preferred a package that included both, but at least Best Buy's price for each was reasonable.

How was the 3d aspect in IMAX and/or blu ray if you have watched? Just got back with my copy and plan to watch later.

post #5 of 14 Old 01-28-2014, 03:35 PM

In IMAX, the 3D was terrific. Very immersive, not overly showy but great depth and all that. The quality and volume of the sound also did a lot to convey the experience. I can't speak for the blu-ray since I haven't watched it yet, but I plan to soon. I consider myself a Metallica fan, not necessarily a die-hard, and I really enjoyed it.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I bought the 3D bluray and watched the first three songs (then had to leave). The 3D is done very well and the picture quality is excellent. Not overly "gimicky" 3D, just some nice added depth. The sound (DTS HD) is amazing! One of the best concert blurays I've heard. Very loud with some deep bass, but still mixed well enough to hear some space between the instruments. For example, you can clearly hear Jame's riffs vs. Kirk's lead solos. Vocals are also spot on.

Can't wait to watch the rest!
post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post

I bought the 3D bluray and watched the first three songs (then had to leave). The 3D is done very well and the picture quality is excellent. Not overly "gimicky" 3D, just some nice added depth. The sound (DTS HD) is amazing! One of the best concert blurays I've heard. Very loud with some deep bass, but still mixed well enough to hear some space between the instruments. For example, you can clearly hear Jame's riffs vs. Kirk's lead solos. Vocals are also spot on.

Can't wait to watch the rest!

Agreed. I have watched it three times already, so I must like it as well! tongue.gif The effects are mixed and recorded very well also. The intro to 'One' is........ eek.gif Solid 3d as far as depth and awesome audio in general as you mention with great low end support which is always nice to hear.

My biggest complaint is that they did not go through with the original plan (from what I have read on Metallica.com) of including a concert only option. The story aspect is fun for a watch or two, but on my third spin I was really wanting to just watch the actual concert as the story element is very thin and forgettable IMO. Still a great disc of course, but no concert only option is a significant negative IMO. Another complaint I had is not showing Hammett enough during his blistering guitar moments.

post #8 of 14 Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm a casual Met fan but I like collecting concert videos. The pq and aq are very solid. I found the side story a little annoying but no big deal. When Robert was jamming on the bass in the beginning, I thought my walls were going to cave in.

post #9 of 14 Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Nice, all the non concert footage can be edited out. Thx for the reviews.

post #10 of 14 Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaFan63 View Post

Nice, all the non concert footage can be edited out. Thx for the reviews.

Some of it intertwines with the actual show though, so it would not work in some spots without loosing parts of the concert/music. Check out the Master of Puppets Through the Never video on youtube to see what I'm talking about.

post #11 of 14 Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 PM

Gotcha, hope they release the rumored concert only footage. Thx

post #12 of 14 Old 02-04-2014, 06:56 AM

I'd have loved a 'concert-only' option as well. The non-concert sequences were, to me, kind of secondary to what I consider a really great live show, creatively filmed and executed. Plus, on a personal note, my 6-year old son is a budding Metallica fan, and frankly there's not too many songs I can play for him that don't include footage of scary rioting marauders or people hanging from lampposts or something smile.gif

I watched some of the making-of documentary on disc 2, and they make it clear early on that their priority is to not make it "just another concert movie". While I agree in theory, I just don't think the story-within-the-story is that well done. Since they clearly put so much time and effort into staging the concert itself (the part involving conceiving and creating the Tesla-coil effect for Ride The Lightning is pretty interesting), they should've done something cool within the concert itself.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 AM

I also saw this in IMAX 3D theater the day it came out but it was not a "true IMAX" screen. I bought the 3 disc limited edition set and have watched the 3D version several times already and I like it better at home than in the theater. Viewing on a Panny VT60 with Onkyo 805 and Definitive/Klipsch setup. I have not watched the 2D bluray yet.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-13-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Just stumbled upon this thread, couldn't believe this Blu-ray 3D was out already. Bummer I can't seem to find where to buy the regular 3D version anywhere in Mexico...guess I'll hafta order the "deluxe" ed from the States, for about 60 bucks PLUS INT'L SHIPPING!!! mad.gif

That being said, I caught this IMAX 3D and, even though it was ear-bleeding LOUD (too loud--louder than the concert!!!), I thought it was a great thrill ride! Great 3D and impressive sound quality both singing- and playing-wise. My avatar actually displays the logo of the concert played in Mexico City's Sports Palace back in Aug 2012 which was the same performance presented in this film (albeit the live footage here is from Vancouver, I think). I took my then 17-yr-old son and we had a real blast and have been anxiously waiting for this 3D Blu-ray disc. cool.gif
Reply 3D Content

Tags
Metallica Through The Never Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page