Which Screen Format do you prefer for 3D? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which Screen Format do you prefer for 3D viewing?
2.35 5 13.51%
1.78 22 59.46%
Don't really care, just give me 3D 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I think you're still mischaracterizing what he's saying.  "robbing the artist of tools"?  He's not advocating putting a gun to their heads.

I don't think I am mischaracterizing it at all. Forcing an artist to use only one tool (one particular aspect ratio, 1.78 in this case) when another (scope) might portray his vision better is ridiculous to say the least.

I believe his statement was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

I really see no point in content wider than 1.78 personally, and if I had it my way the entire industry (theater and CE) would move to the same format so everything could be enjoyed equally by everyone.

That's not declaring that the industry would be forced into 16:9.  He's just wishing that the industry at large decided that they wanted 16:9.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 04:39 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:

I believe his statement was this:

That's not declaring that the industry would be forced into 16:9.  He's just wishing that the industry at large decided that they wanted 16:9.

You can read his statement either way (obviously I read it differently vs you) as it was not specific enough to be clear one way or the other. Either way though, it's not going to happen thankfully since no matter if it's 2d or 3d, some movies work better in scope, some in 1.78/85 and if this were not the case, ALL 2d and 3d movies would be the same aspect which is obviously not the case.

Its not like we are dealing with 20 different aspect ratios here fellas........it is basically 2 since 2.35/40 are close enough to be considered 1 for all practical purposes and same with 1.78/85. I am glad directors have the choice depending on what THEY think will present the art best.

Cant believe we are even arguing about this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 01-31-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Where do you stop at it being a good idea to let them do so? As an artist/director, what if I think the next blockbuster should be in 10:1 scope, 3D. I must be right because I'm the director, and I think everybody should view a narrow strip picture because I'm so creative. eek.gif

Why can't we urge directors to be creative within an aspect ratio? Don't they already have a TON of tools to be able to portray their vision that more greatly impact a movie's impact and success than the aspect ratio? You know, like it actually being good filming? Good angles, pace, lighting, and endless other options? Again, I'm in no way advocating changing existing content via any methods, crop, pan and scan, stretch, etc. I'm talking about the future, why do we think 2.40 scope lends itself to some magically artistic presentation?

Normally I don't care with 2D content because it doesn't impact me negatively, but if you can't understand that 99.99999999% of consumers are left with physically less image to immerse themselves in a 3D picture with scope content (not image content), and that it directly translates to the effectiveness of said 3D film, then there's nothing left to say. smile.gif

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thinking that directors agonize over 2.35:1 as an art form puts way too much genius into the minds of people that are prodded and pushed by studio heads and producers to the point of ad nauseam to keep within budgets and what studios want. Just sayin'. rolleyes.gif
Old 01-31-2014, 04:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Like I said, this conversation is a complete waste of time at this point as we are not even close to being on the same page. I am just glad you guys are not making decisions in this area! eek.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 02-03-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Christ in a can, I feel like it's 1994 again and we're reliving the "I don't like them black bars. Movies is supposed to fill my TV screen. What does them stupid directors know anyway?" argument. What a waste of internet bandwidth... frown.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Christ in a can, I feel like it's 1994 again and we're reliving the "I don't like them black bars. Movies is supposed to fill my TV screen. What does them stupid directors know anyway?" argument. What a waste of internet bandwidth... frown.gif

The post prior to yours was almost 3 days ago, and you revived the thread.  To relive the "I don't like them black bars" thing?

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

The post prior to yours was almost 3 days ago, and you revived the thread.  To relive the "I don't like them black bars" thing?

Some of us don't visit the forum every day, especially not on weekends, when we have better things to do.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.