3D Demonstration Disc - Would you be interested? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #91 of 123 Old 06-27-2014, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should have my first clip by now Leo. If it works for you I'll look for more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 06-27-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't wait! Great job guys.

Supporter of whatever looks and sounds good to me
post #93 of 123 Old 06-27-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Just got the IMAX countdown finished, up to superleo if it's included though also a scene from Avatar is done.
Um ! A strange request ! Can u just share that countdown to me right now ? I want just put that file to a USB stick , I want to show that Demo every time when I invite my Fd to see a movie ! Thx !
post #94 of 123 Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 PM

Great job, guys! (and gals?) I am really looking forward to the completed project! Thanks for keeping us abreast of the progress!
post #95 of 123 Old 07-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Liked: 11
Superleo, I have Flying Swords 3D. I can loan it, if it can be of some use. If so, just shoot me a PM

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4
post #96 of 123 Old 07-11-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My w1070 with 4 pairs of 3D glasses just showed up two days ago. I'm very late to the game!

It's incredible.

I'm interested in a demo disc!

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #97 of 123 Old 07-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am interested in a 3D demo disc as well!
post #98 of 123 Old 07-24-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
superleo- big update to my clips folder :-)
post #99 of 123 Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 474
superleo, I've been watching 3d movies as often as I can in hopes to find you some worth demo clips and I'm not finding anything of value really besides the commonly recommended clips. After watching less than a dozen 3d movies I personally think the tech is a gimmick (perhaps I'm too inexperienced to tell?). I'd still be fun to have the 3d disc but I'm disappointed (having only recently got a 3d display) to learn most of the 3d movies I've tried aren't even worth watching in 3d (all my opinion of course), but aside from Gavity and Avatar - nothing else I've watched has been worthwhile over the 2d variant. The last one I watched in 3d - The Amazing Spiderman - my wife took her glasses off about 30 minutes in and said this is so dumb I'm not even going to use these glasses. That particular movie was exceptionally dark in 3d (others aren't) and there was almost no 3d effect. In fact when I took off my glasses - it was barely blurry to watch without them - indicating very little 3d effect. I swapped the disc out and we finished watching it in 2d to a much more enjoyable time. I looked up reviews on The Amazing Spiderman and they said it had very little 3d effect except his webs and that it was dark. Yet it got 4.5 stars out of 5 at a big review site for 3d. hmmm? I'd rate it really low for 3d - not 4.5?

3d movies I've watched as of late (IMO of course)
Pirates of the Caribbean - on stranger tides (bad)
The Amazing Spiderman (bad)
Men in Black 3 (bad)
Despicable Me (ok)
Sanctum (meh)
I-Robot (ok)
Ice Age 4 (meh)
Gravity (Wow!)

Whereas with the other demo disks clips like Bass, Surround, Visuals etc - you can't hardly decide which clips to suggest because there are SOOOO many competing good ones - this 3d space is a barren wasteland.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

Last edited by Archaea; 07-24-2014 at 02:48 PM.
post #100 of 123 Old 07-24-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post
The Scene early where Jake is separated from the others till he jumps off the waterfall rocks in 2D... The Scene with the "ascended"(jelly fish like)? had good pop out at the theater, would have to watch again to see how it looks at 65" or 110".

Yes this scene in Avatar translates very well at home! The jellyfish things (can't remember what they are called) floating around the room when they first meet and she is taking him to her village is very cool!

Gravity has a LOT of cool scenes in 3d. My favorite is destruction of the space station when she is trying to free her parachute, and the early scene where she is spinning off into the vastness of space and becomes a tiny little dot on the black screen with stars everywhere

The original Despicable Me credits are a lot of fun in 3d.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #101 of 123 Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
i had a few tech difficulties but my 3d disc shoudl be ready soon (fingers crossed!) will be a nice stop gap until super leo's beast is unleashed!

Please Visit My 11.2 3D Home Cinema Shed http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=2744 as featured in home cinema choice magazine! Check out my blu-ray THX WOW! demo disc here
post #102 of 123 Old 07-24-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Thanks guys, I'm out of town until next week, so as soon as I get home I'll get some time to go over the clips. And thank you all for the interest.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #103 of 123 Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM

Leo, can you check your pm. I had a question.

post #104 of 123 Old 07-25-2014, 03:52 AM

Liked: 0
I am very interested in this, and I know many people that would also want it.

I hope it stays under 25GB because I bought 50+ 25GB discs only to burn these for people, I have no other use for them.
post #105 of 123 Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yes this scene in Avatar translates very well at home! The jellyfish things (can't remember what they are called) floating around the room when they first meet and she is taking him to her village is very cool!
Agreed. I've had the 3D disc for quite some time and we just finally watched it a few weeks ago. I was very pleased, and especially with those scenes.
post #106 of 123 Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 216
In case anyone here isn't aware of this site:
http://www.stores-3d-blurayrental.co...let/StoreFront

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #107 of 123 Old 07-25-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickett View Post
Leo, can you check your pm. I had a question.

Done

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #108 of 123 Old 07-25-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
superleo, I've been watching 3d movies as often as I can in hopes to find you some worth demo clips and I'm not finding anything of value really besides the commonly recommended clips.
The last one I watched in 3d - The Amazing Spiderman - my wife took her glasses off about 30 minutes in and said this is so dumb I'm not even going to use these glasses.
Whereas with the other demo disks clips like Bass, Surround, Visuals etc - you can't hardly decide which clips to suggest because there are SOOOO many competing good ones - this 3d space is a barren wasteland.
Thanks Archaea, I've only watched movies that had been highly recommended and stayed away from any other movie, or just watched 2D. I have more or less the same issue at my house, my son and wife, if possible rather not watch 3D, although I had enjoyed the movies we've watched.

Another movie that had very good 3D, it felt kind of Avatar, was Pacific Rim. I can tell you not my type of movie, but enjoyed the experienced and don't tell anyone but enjoyed the movie.

The guys contributing know their stuff. There are very good 3D clips that range for excellent pop outs to amazing depth to great overall 3D experience. The categories for this disc would be 1. Live action 2. Animation 3. Documentaries.

Probably the best material are the documentaries, highly impressed.

post #109 of 123 Old 07-25-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

it's funny because i'm having almost the complete opposite reaction as i go through my movies looking through clips! i'm finding some demo-worthy scenes in movies i otherwise had no interest in (like Pirates of the Caribbean, Gatsby, etc). Maybe my projector is calibrated better these days, but i've been mostly very impressed with the scenes i've been watching as I skip around various discs.

Ironically, i think Avatar might be the most overrated 3d disc of all time. It's definitely a great looking disc but I don't find the 3d to be demo-quality.

It's all definitely very subjective. I generally can't stand 3d in the 2.35:1 format but have slowly started warming up to those too.

Quote:
superleo, I've been watching 3d movies as often as I can in hopes to find you some worth demo clips and I'm not finding anything of value really besides the commonly recommended clips. After watching less than a dozen 3d movies I personally think the tech is a gimmick (perhaps I'm too inexperienced to tell?). I'd still be fun to have the 3d disc but I'm disappointed (having only recently got a 3d display) to learn most of the 3d movies I've tried aren't even worth watching in 3d (all my opinion of course), but aside from Gavity and Avatar - nothing else I've watched has been worthwhile over the 2d variant. The last one I watched in 3d - The Amazing Spiderman - my wife took her glasses off about 30 minutes in and said this is so dumb I'm not even going to use these glasses. That particular movie was exceptionally dark in 3d (others aren't) and there was almost no 3d effect. In fact when I took off my glasses - it was barely blurry to watch without them - indicating very little 3d effect. I swapped the disc out and we finished watching it in 2d to a much more enjoyable time. I looked up reviews on The Amazing Spiderman and they said it had very little 3d effect except his webs and that it was dark. Yet it got 4.5 stars out of 5 at a big review site for 3d. hmmm? I'd rate it really low for 3d - not 4.5?

3d movies I've watched as of late (IMO of course)
Pirates of the Caribbean - on stranger tides (bad)
The Amazing Spiderman (bad)
Men in Black 3 (bad)
Despicable Me (ok)
Sanctum (meh)
I-Robot (ok)
Ice Age 4 (meh)
Gravity (Wow!)

post #110 of 123 Old 07-25-2014, 12:21 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post
Ironically, i think Avatar might be the most overrated 3d disc of all time. It's definitely a great looking disc but I don't find the 3d to be demo-quality.
My only problem with Avatar's 3D is, I have to watch "Avatar" to see it.

Seriously though...I find some of the best demo worthy 3D stuff in animation. My all time faves for showing off my 3D set up are Monsters vs. Aliens and Tangled. For live action, the last 2 Resident Evil movies have their moments(particularly a slo-mo shot involving sunglasses)and Gravity is cool.
post #111 of 123 Old 07-25-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaaaans View Post
My only problem with Avatar's 3D is, I have to watch "Avatar" to see it.

Seriously though...I find some of the best demo worthy 3D stuff in animation. My all time faves for showing off my 3D set up are Monsters vs. Aliens and Tangled. For live action, the last 2 Resident Evil movies have their moments(particularly a slo-mo shot involving sunglasses)and Gravity is cool.
if you want to see some amazing animated 3d, check out Rise of the Guardians. Still my pick for best overall 3d disc. Monsters University was also very very impressive.
post #112 of 123 Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post
I generally can't stand 3d in the 2.35:1 format but have slowly started warming up to those too.

My screen is a scope screen and I usually try to watch movies this way? Why do you not like 2.35:1 over 16x9 for 3d? I'm curious because maybe that's part of my malcontent with 3d?

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout

post #113 of 123 Old 07-26-2014, 10:59 PM

Cool Sammy 1 & 2, again

Best demo disc? For me, Sammy 1 or 2. Sit close and every shot exists in a deep cube in front & behind the screen. The screen plane becomes irrelevant if you don't think about it. Shots are designed to fill that cube. Things move closer and away within the cube. Nothing "pops out" inappropriately IMO. Funny (not really) how we can see the same thing differently.
post #114 of 123 Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 AM

ok so my 3d disc is nearly ready just uploading it now, as i said it's just a stop gap until leo's is ready3D Demo Disc Reelwood 3D here is the list of the clips

welcome- dts IMAX Reelwood
Star Trek into Darkness
Metallica Through The Never
Kung Fu Panda
Pacific Rim
Iron Man 3
Oz The Great And Powerful
Katy Perry Wide Awake
The Amazing Spider-man
Gravity
Madagascar 3
Grand Canyon
The Hobbit Desalation Of Smaug
Monsters Vs Aliens
Thor The Dark World
Men In Black 3
Man Of Steel
The Art Of Flight
Dredd 3D
Doctor Who
The Avengers
Jurassic Park
Despicable Me
Star Wars The Phantom Menace
Despicable Me
Titanic
300 Rise Of An Empire
Michael Jackson's Thriller
The Amazing Spider-man 2
The Wizard Of Oz
Wrath Of The Titans
Noah
Need For Speed
Foo Fighters Walk
The Lego Movie
Jackass 3D
Bjork Wanderlust
Edge Of Tomorrow
X-men Days Of Future Past
LG
Captain America The Winter Soldier

Please Visit My 11.2 3D Home Cinema Shed http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?SHARESHED=2744 as featured in home cinema choice magazine! Check out my blu-ray THX WOW! demo disc here

Last edited by pjvader; 07-27-2014 at 02:53 AM.
post #115 of 123 Old 07-27-2014, 01:34 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc M View Post
Best demo disc? For me, Sammy 1 or 2. Sit close and every shot exists in a deep cube in front & behind the screen. The screen plane becomes irrelevant if you don't think about it. Shots are designed to fill that cube. Things move closer and away within the cube. Nothing "pops out" inappropriately IMO. Funny (not really) how we can see the same thing differently.
A Turtles Tale cranks the 3D WAYYYYYY up, to truly dazzling effect. Every shot seems composed primarily to emphasize the 3rd dimension. The only reason I resist using it as demo material is, the movie itself is strictly for small children. The big studio animations usually have all-ages entertainment value. Sammy's intense 3D is the only thing that got me through it. Which is why I'm baffled by weak 3D efforts like Cars 2 and Up.
post #116 of 123 Old 07-27-2014, 05:20 PM

I would LOVE a dvd of this. I have an Epson 2030 and a Sony 3D Blu-Ray player. To show off the 3D I have to keep using different discs and it's time consuming. Thx
post #117 of 123 Old 07-27-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc M View Post
Heard so much about it but could never find it to buy. Saw it listed in VUDU but I'm not a fan of
streaming 3D apps knowing it can't be the same quality as in the disk.
post #118 of 123 Old 07-28-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Rent it:
http://www.stores-3d-blurayrental.co...let/Categories

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #119 of 123 Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
I only see the 2nd sammy movie in 3D here. Otherwise this looks like a decent option.
post #120 of 123 Old 07-28-2014, 01:30 PM

3D Demo Disc Reelwood 3D
my 3d demo disc is now ready to download
https://mega.co.nz/#F!Vs4A1bhB!meWkXJ9ySeUeRu49HuYtLQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reelwood3d.jpg (342.2 KB, 11 views)
superleo likes this.

Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page