AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   3D Content (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3d-content/)
-   -   3D Demonstration Disc - Would you be interested? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/196-3d-content/1517278-3d-demonstration-disc-would-you-interested.html)

superleo 02-11-2014 10:31 AM

With all this talk about 3D dying, would yo be interested on a BD 3D Demonstration disc?

Keep in mind that we can not sell these type of discs, so it would have to be download or a friend to burn it for you.
Then the next consideration would be size. I think there is enough good content to do a 50GB disc, which would give us around 3 hours of demo material. Is this too much? Would a 25GB disc be a better fit for 3D?

Let me know how and what you think?

dfergie 02-17-2014 10:59 PM

I made a short one a year or so ago for myself, I had to convert to SBS, still have it on my server ...

superleo 02-18-2014 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

I made a short one a year or so ago for myself, I had to convert to SBS, still have it on my server ...

How many clips did you have, does the disc have a menu? I would be interested in taking a look.

My plan is to create a main menu page where the background is 3D and the menu headings, which in this case would be icons, would also be 3D and floating forward. Then of course you select the clip.

3D requires some extra work for the demuxing and authoring, so I wanted to check if people would be interested.

dfergie 02-18-2014 07:21 PM

I used MultiAVC to create (with that menu)would have to check on clips as I never burned to disc, used for media players instead.
Off the top of my head:
Hubble 3D: Soyuz & Shuttle launches
Tangled: Dam busting
Tron: Cycles
Tron: Disc Battles
Drive Angry: Shotgun Blast
Pirahna 3D: Marina
John Carter: Trailer
John Carter: fight on airships
Edit;
Resident Evil Afterlife: Battle on Rooftop & Opening Battle at Umbrella
I have more, but not able to access as not home.

sshearer 02-19-2014 08:35 AM

I would be very interested in this even at the 50GB download size.

Scott

superleo 02-19-2014 09:43 AM

The way I have it planned out, as of now., is 25GB. Although it might change to a full 50GB.

Short list:
- Titanic
- Life of Pi
- Monsters University
- Man of Steel
- Pacific Rim
- OZ
- John Carter
- Upsidedown
- Despicable Me 2
- The Lorax
- Prometheus
- Hugo
- Gravity

dfergie 02-19-2014 07:51 PM

Doh, forgot Avatar, along with Despicable Me, had several clips ...
Nice list above, can't wait for Gravity & Thor II next week, I'd have to add a little Captain America, Avengers & maybe Spidey to that...

Jason626 02-20-2014 02:30 PM

This would be cool. Making 3d clips of some of the best moments in movies.

dfergie 02-21-2014 03:35 PM

Play list from an old 20.3 gig demo ...

DTS3DLOGODEMO;00:00:48;
A Christmas Carol Trailer;00:02:35;
Brave and Planes Trailers;00:02:19;
John Carter of Mars Trailer;00:03:21;
Open Season;00:04:59;
Despicable Me Open;01:34:48;
Up open;00:04:59;
Rio;00:02:39
SI Irena;00:01:59;
Tangled;00:02:33;
The Lion King;00:01:40
IMAX Space Station;00:01:59;
SI;00:01:59;
RE Umbrella;00:08:59;
Tron;00:02:25;
Up Dug;00:04:59;
Transformers 3 Moon;00:04:59
RE Landing;00:05:59;
Imax Space Station 2;00:00:
Despicable Me;00:03:59;
SI Beach;00:00:59;
RE Off the roof;00:03:59
IMAX Discovery Launch;00:04:59
Despicable Me Minions;00:01:58
DTS Animated Logo
UP floating;00:02:03
POTC4 Mermaids;00:07:59;
Transformers3 Launch;00:03:59

davidimdpt 02-25-2014 08:48 AM

I'd be up for it. No 3d demo disc is complete however without the potato cod scene in under the sea and the sniper scene and rainfall scene in resident evil afterlife.

superleo 02-26-2014 06:10 AM

Unfortunately I'm limited to the titles I own or that I can get, unless some of you would like to help to gather clips... Then we'll be up for a COMPLETE 3D Demo Disc!!! biggrin.gif

Don Landis 02-27-2014 02:50 PM

Until you start to hit 90 minutes of 3D content you shouldn't need to worry about exceeding your 25Gb limit.

Probably setting up your menu with Power Director would be the easiest since your design menu seems to match that software capabilities.

Since you won't be displaying the file you extract, you could use Top Bottom Full frame for your 3D extraction clip and not lose any resolution. Not sure what pirating software you will use and don't care to discuss that. But you will need to output a standard format. Also, you will need to MUX your audio in Power Director. Normally this is not too difficult to sync up. I've done similar with MP4 TB Full and 5.1 WAV audio. Up to 25 clips in a Power Director 3D editor with Blu ray menu driven.

superleo 02-27-2014 04:14 PM

Don, you are assuming too much, and I think we are old enough to know how the saying goes.

I've done several 2D demo discs before, and since I recently started enjoying 3D I though I would take a look at exploring on making a 3D demo disc. None of the discs I've made and I've helped make are for sale or will ever be for sale, but they can be downloaded and enjoyed by everyone, and that would be the same if a 3D discs happens.

The goal on these discs is to have the content untouched, high definition audio and video, just as it is on the original disc, there are just a hand full of very specialized software that can accomplish this. Plus none of the so called demo discs that have 3D content are truly 3D. My goal would be to render the menus 3D also, giving the user a 3D experience from the very start of the disc.

I'll be authoring a 3D full standard MVD file format compliant disc with full DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD lossless audio 5.1 to 7.1, popup menus with a 3D main menu.

Now... would you be interested.

oleus 02-28-2014 09:38 AM

I've been interested in doing one of these for my own use, I think it would be great. What are you using for file capture and editing, though? So far I haven't been able to find anything that captures the stereo frames (makemkv captures 2d from 3d discs) - and also on the editing side, I'm wondering what file type would be best as .mkv files don't play well with editing systems like Final Cut or Adobe Premiere Pro.

bburstei 02-28-2014 09:53 AM

I think this is a fantastic idea. It would save me a lot of time swapping disks and waiting for things to load when all I really want to do is show off my new toy.

superleo 02-28-2014 10:05 AM

oleus,

PM sent.

superleo 02-28-2014 10:20 AM

A short explanation of the attempted demo disc.

The idea is to have the exact same type of file on the demo disc as it exist on the original disc, other that is cut to a clip. The files would exist on their standard 3D MVD format, that contains a full left eye file, a processed right eye file and an lossless audio track. The clips from the different movies are individually created. There is no editing or additional processing of the files, these are just cut.

For what I know, there are just a few players that would play these type of files from an external source -- OPPO and Dune. There might be others, but the disc as a disc burn to media will play in any BD-3D player.

coolhand 02-28-2014 12:19 PM

Dear god I want this. Would help but I'd just get in the way.

superleo 02-28-2014 12:22 PM

By voicing your interest you are already helping.

PGTweed 02-28-2014 12:50 PM

I'm interested in a 3D Demo disc.

Don Landis 02-28-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post

By voicing your interest you are already helping.

Just noticed you are from San Antonio. I grew up there and just went back to visit New Years day. Lots changed in 50 years when I left. smile.gif I shot a road tour around town in 3D and visited where I went to school and the house I lived in. Of course, had to shoot some video of the Majestic Theater and the Texas theater (facade). I spent every Saturday in those theaters watching movies. Of course, wife had to see the Alamo so we went there too.

As for interest in the "demo disk" I'm not sure what I would use it for. I don't have too many guests to watch 3D. Just my 5 yr old grandson and then it's the latest thing out. Tonight we watched Cloudy with Meatballs in 3D and Frozen 2d and later 3D. But, it might be interesting to see how he would like it is he could watch a bunch of trailers over and over.

So, here's another question- would you be using the release trailer and then your favorite clips, or just scenes you personally selected?

Not sure how much you know about authoring 3D menus but before, I mentioned Power Director. The little icons in Power Director authored menus can be short 3D loops, not just still shots. It's pretty powerful menu authoring tool for the money. Beyond that software packages like Blue Print can get quite expensive, but then you may have access to professional authoring for 3D. Products like that are out of my league.

You also mentioned OPPO. I have this in my HT and it is set up with a large hard disk array 12 TB and counting. Its my favorite way to watch my disk collection. I would have no problem downloading a 3D BD iso file for playback.

CureMode 03-01-2014 04:31 AM

Would be interested in one up to 23gb or so to fit on one blank single layer disc. I love showing the 3D off to friends and family and its a pain to wait for each bluray to boot and get to the scene I want to demonstrate. It would be amazing to have a SBS or frame packed selection of just some of the best scenes.

shepP 03-01-2014 04:49 AM

I think this is an awesome idea and would love a chance to grab a copy. What a great way to show off 3D to friends and family.

superleo 03-01-2014 08:23 AM

We call them demo discs, but could be called TEST disc as well. It works great when you have people over and complement your set up, or ask about your speakers or your sub, etc -- and with this disc when they ask about your 3D-- these discs are also great to test your system. Once you are familiar with the clips you know what to look for as far as LFE, surround, visual, shadow detail, color -- and now with this disc, hopefully, detail, perspective, pop out, depth -- and we could go on and on. So these are not only for demonstrations for for testing. smile.gif

Don't want to sound that I'm repeating myself, but this would be a true, just like a commercial disc, no SBS no TB, a ture 3D format (MVD) that will play in any 3D BD player.

superleo 03-01-2014 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

So, here's another question- would you be using the release trailer and then your favorite clips, or just scenes you personally selected?

Not sure how much you know about authoring 3D menus but before, I mentioned Power Director. The little icons in Power Director authored menus can be short 3D loops, not just still shots. It's pretty powerful menu authoring tool for the money. Beyond that software packages like Blue Print can get quite expensive, but then you may have access to professional authoring for 3D. Products like that are out of my league.

You also mentioned OPPO. I have this in my HT and it is set up with a large hard disk array 12 TB and counting. Its my favorite way to watch my disk collection. I would have no problem downloading a 3D BD iso file for playback.

I think we could ask for cooperation on selecting the movies and clips. I would like to have full HD audio and video, considering this, trailers usually only have dolby audio, but we can ask for input on this.

We've made, and I say we because other members had always been involved and help, several 2D discs, that I think are very good and comparable or better to the commercially made ones (and mean no disrespect to the ones that created these). The 3D process is a little different but very similar, so I think we can obtained the same type of results.

For those with out BD burners, these discs can be played from your computer or as individual files. This requires a little more work but very doable.

OPPO players can pretty much play anything so you'll be good either playing it from a disc or from your external device.

pjvader 04-06-2014 04:02 PM

i am also thinking of doing a 3d discs but i can't figure out how to get the clips in full 3d (no SBS etc) and then find a programme that will put them all together i did a basic collection for my reelwood disc but would like to up the ante and add some 3d with a v2.0 disc smile.gif

tomtastic 04-06-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

With all this talk about 3D dying, would yo be interested on a BD 3D Demonstration disc?

What we need is complete full use software from edit to BD authoring for the prosumer market, maybe then 3D wouldn't be "dying", at this point you only have 3D enthusiasts interested. If there were more content providers it might introduce a resurgence of 3D interest and availability. Sony's limited-use 3D authoring in Vegas, which mirrors their 2D Blu ray scheme, is pricing themselves out of the market that never happened in the DVD era. It's no wonder streaming and file based methods are taking over. Blu ray is just plain expensive to do. 3D on Blu ray with full HD and 3D menu? Forget about it.

Sorry not trying to thread jack, just venting frustration.

superleo 04-07-2014 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvader View Post

i am also thinking of doing a 3d discs but i can't figure out how to get the clips in full 3d (no SBS etc) and then find a programme that will put them all together i did a basic collection for my reelwood disc but would like to up the ante and add some 3d with a v2.0 disc smile.gif

The process on getting the 3D clips is almost the same as for 2D the only difference is that you must use the files from the SSIF folder, not the regular m2ts files.
MultiAVCHD , as far as I know will create the SSIF folder needed for 3d. The menus will be 2D, but you can have 3D content as well as 2d content on your disc.

pjvader 04-07-2014 06:47 AM

Quote:

The process on getting the 3D clips is almost the same as for 2D the only difference is that you must use the files from the SSIF folder, not the regular m2ts files.
MultiAVCHD , as far as I know will create the SSIF folder needed for 3d. The menus will be 2D, but you can have 3D content as well as 2d content on your disc.
Excellent news! I have been using mainly tsmuxer to extract clips in 2d is there a more beneficial programme to use for 3d? Or just use the ssif folder and save to a .ts file? Thx for the advice

superleo 04-07-2014 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post

Quote:

What we need is complete full use software from edit to BD authoring for the prosumer market, maybe then 3D wouldn't be "dying", at this point you only have 3D enthusiasts interested. If there were more content providers it might introduce a resurgence of 3D interest and availability. Sony's limited-use 3D authoring in Vegas, which mirrors their 2D Blu ray scheme, is pricing themselves out of the market that never happened in the DVD era. It's no wonder streaming and file based methods are taking over. Blu ray is just plain expensive to do. 3D on Blu ray with full HD and 3D menu? Forget about it.

Sorry not trying to thread jack, just venting frustration.

Pretty much any software that can do 3D is going to be expensive. Don Lnadis recommended Power Director 3D for editing and authoring for as close to a professional suit that you can get. I took a look at it and it seems to do everything that a serious user would need with out going to the professional software.

There is now a free MVC 3D encoder available, that would give you commercial like 3d files, this gives the serious 3D enthusiast the tools to be able to create professional looking 3D material.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=169651