4Likes

post #151 of 215 Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Extra features had the director saying he wasn't a big fan of 3D but now is. He now sees what everyone is so excited about.

It will be interesting to follow his career versus the guy in the earlier thread (I think it was the X Men thread) that acted like 3D was more of a bother than anything and see what they both do later. I occasionally wonder how people who go at everything with enthusiasm do versus those who seemingly can't be bothered to try something new do in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 215 Old 05-30-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Yeah, I'll be renting HERC just for the 3D. As for what rules Redbox has, your guess is as good as mine!

I'm guessing Redbox is like Netflix. They don't rent 3D titles unless it happens to have the 3D version along with the 2D version on the same disc. Which is only a handful of titles. They can be counted on one or two hands.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #153 of 215 Old 05-30-2014, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I'm sure that is the case. However, I did see Reed Hastings interview yesterday and he said Netflix wants to be the leader in bold new offerings. He also said there are no plans whatsoever to change their business model to an advertising revenue stream. He mentioned some of the new bold new offerings such as higher quality streaming, 3D, and original programming. He said while HBO and others have done this before, Netflix is the first to offer the entire series so that customers can have a marathon back to back when released. No need to write cliffhangers. Full HD and 3D streaming has been done before but not part of a base subscription. I agree with Reed, that Netflix is charting new and bold territory for viewers. I am pleased to be a long term investor in Netflix.

But as for mail media, Reed told stock holders several years ago, that their plan is to eventually drop that end of the business. It is not a growing market and it has excessive costs that will force that end of the business to not pay for itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #154 of 215 Old 05-30-2014, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnoreatmovies View Post

It will be interesting to follow his career versus the guy in the earlier thread (I think it was the X Men thread) that acted like 3D was more of a bother than anything and see what they both do later. I occasionally wonder how people who go at everything with enthusiasm do versus those who seemingly can't be bothered to try something new do in the long run.

You may be thinking of the cinematographer of Godzilla, who complained that the studio forced a 3D conversion onto the movie because he thinks 3D is crap.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #155 of 215 Old 06-10-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 105
First indication that 3D FROZEN is coming. "SUPER SYNERGY: Frozen will have extensive company-wide marketing leading up to the October 2014 3-D DVD/BluRay release."

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sku=148471699X

post #156 of 215 Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hmmm...

Sincerely, the frugal audiophile
post #157 of 215 Old 06-12-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I didn't read real close, but I'm not sure that link convinces me of much . . .

------

post #158 of 215 Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It's there. Look down in the lower right side of the page- "Super Synergy...

This is the complete paragraph:

Quote:
SUPER SYNERGY: Frozen will have extensive company-wide marketing leading up to the October 2014 3-D DVD/BluRay release. There will be support for Frozen across consumer product divisions, including videogames, electronics, toys, apparel, stationery, and home furnishings.
Just in time for Christmas!
NickTheGreat likes this.

Don Landis

Last edited by Don Landis; 06-12-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #159 of 215 Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
It's there. Look down in the lower right side of the page- "Super Synergy...
I believe what he's saying is that the site itself doesn't inspire much confidence that this is somehow official information, vs. just more rumors and speculation.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #160 of 215 Old 06-15-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Blu-ray...ords=frozen+3d

Somehow it is posted on amazon i didn't know it was posted but it hasn't been taken out so i assume it will be available in the US as expected in october.
post #161 of 215 Old 06-16-2014, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think that is new on Amazon. Interesting.

Don Landis
post #162 of 215 Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What about this one? Amazon seems to be shipping this..

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Blu-ray.../dp/B00FZM8Z7I
post #163 of 215 Old 06-20-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by termite View Post
What about this one? Amazon seems to be shipping this..

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Blu-ray.../dp/B00FZM8Z7I
Looks like the U.K. disc, now showing up on Amazon U.S. But it's more expensive than when it was imported via AmazonUK.
Don Landis likes this.

post #164 of 215 Old 06-21-2014, 02:05 AM

I believe that the deleted song and animation of life's too short will be in the 3d us release in october along with the trip they took in norway to promote frozen. Plus a few more deleted scene like the target exclusive deleted scenes will also be in the disc in october. So i can't wait for that one. Japan 3d looks tempting as it plays here in the us as well but i will wait till release to see if the price lowers in july, plus i like the coverart of both blu ray boxes in japan. So still thinking about that.
post #165 of 215 Old 06-30-2014, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I agree with Cinema13.

While I would love to say, see, I told you so, In June. I can't honestly say this is anymore than what appears to be the UK package bought in some quantity from Amazon UK and upcharged for Amazon Prime, free delivery in the US. WE got the UK version including shipping for less.

Don Landis
post #166 of 215 Old 07-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my Frozen off Ebay a few weeks ago and the 3D WAS AWESOME Good Purchase... Still Madagascar3 was great to and so was Gravity
post #167 of 215 Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Frozen 3D is now available on Starz on-demand on my Uverse.

Smart enough to know better, to old to care
post #168 of 215 Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekbones View Post
Frozen 3D is now available on Starz on-demand on my Uverse.
Not on FIOS as of yet (only 2D so far). But I guess I'll finally get to see what all the fuss is about.

Last edited by cinema13; 07-09-2014 at 10:48 AM.
post #169 of 215 Old 07-11-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
First things first-- Where does one get the discount codes in the first place?
I've just read this entire Frozen 3D thread top to bottom. I tend to agree with the "BluRay over Streaming" argument in general Don, but you have made enough good points that I'm going to have to try a VUDU movie just to see how it looks! In my house, even with a fast Internet speed and a good router, I seem to have streaming issues. That makes me lean towards the physical media as much as anything. But if I could fix those, and if the streaming quality is there, and they start adding in all of the same features that they have on the discs... I may have to be more open minded. I want the discs because I can physically hold them. Not logical I know, but I know it's MINE.

But now that I have a 3 year old that can open any movie and bring me the disc (cringe!) - maybe I need to test the waters of the streaming world for 3D.

Oh - and you have probably figured this out by now - but the more you rent from Redbox, the more codes you get. I get one every few weeks if I don't rent. When I rent regularly, I can't seem to look at my phone without some type of new offer coming in!
post #170 of 215 Old 07-12-2014, 12:25 AM

I still like to own 3d movies i am not a streaming fan so i will wait till amazon preorders the us version link on their website so until then i will continue to wait, but i did double dip as i bought a blu ray for a friend's daugher who suddenly became a frozen fan a couple of months ago.
post #171 of 215 Old 07-12-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
I've just read this entire Frozen 3D thread top to bottom. I tend to agree with the "BluRay over Streaming" argument in general Don, but you have made enough good points that I'm going to have to try a VUDU movie just to see how it looks! In my house, even with a fast Internet speed and a good router, I seem to have streaming issues. That makes me lean towards the physical media as much as anything. But if I could fix those, and if the streaming quality is there, and they start adding in all of the same features that they have on the discs... I may have to be more open minded. I want the discs because I can physically hold them. Not logical I know, but I know it's MINE.

But now that I have a 3 year old that can open any movie and bring me the disc (cringe!) - maybe I need to test the waters of the streaming world for 3D.

Oh - and you have probably figured this out by now - but the more you rent from Redbox, the more codes you get. I get one every few weeks if I don't rent. When I rent regularly, I can't seem to look at my phone without some type of new offer coming in!
Personal streaming issues is a big category to discuss. WiFi is very popular these days because it is easy to do vs running wire. If you have lots of radio frequency in your area it might just be better to run the Cat 6 cable and avoid all the problems that can hinder a high bandwidth stream of data for 3D HDTV. But even that may not be enough. Your provider may brag about 50Mbs but that may fall off to 5Mbs in a few minutes if he can't sustain the high bit rate he advertises. Only some business accounts will sometimes offer a bit rate that is regulated sustained. These are considerably more expensive than consumer accounts.

Another advantage of the traditional hard media is in Blu Ray is it almost always offers higher bit rate than the best streaming services like Vudu, in both audio and video. However, you have to decide whether your high end Home Theater can even see or hear that difference. I can experience the advantage of DTS 7.1 master audio here that some disks present, but my old ears cannot tell the difference between really high end audio and average. I've even had my hearing tested to see what can be done and the scaring on my right ear drum from numerous injuries in scuba diving and probably M2 gun fire in combat has done permanent damage. So that subtle advantage over streaming is lost on me. YMMV rules here.

The content can be there, but like disks content varies with each release. heck Disks aren't guaranteed either. Have you seen the Blu Ray "Rental version" lacking everything the retail version has, in some even Master audio? It's getting to be that Rental Blu rays are just an introduction anymore!

The streaming content, given all bandwidth issues are resolved is not limited in content from a technical limitation. But if streaming bandwidth is an issue, then the latest methods using downloaded content to your server is the solution. This currently is the ONLY WAY the new UHD content can be distributed. Nothing available yet on disk.

Finally there is the limitation of your equipment. I have three ways to get Frozen 3D here. 1. On a 32" Vizio 3D Passive. TV. Can't hear or see any difference compared to the Disk.
2. PS3 in my home theater. Can't hear difference, but the video is a tad softer. Likely limited to the 720p of the PS3
3. WDTV- This is equally as detailed and sharp as disk, the sound is equal to my ears and my wife's so we are happy. It does 1080 60p output in 3D. The streaming is actually a bit smoother since the video is upconverted to the 60p with 240 Hz refresh in the Projector. Disks put the projector in 24fps mode. The difference is visible and each individual makes a choice as to whether 24fps or 60 is better when it comes to movies. That is a personal selection choice.

At first I did not like diskless content but as my equipment got better it is preferred as it is more convenient and greatly reduces storage requirements. But like you I have a 5 year old grandson who loves to explore my shelves of disks to select a movie. I was actually going to box them all up and just digitize them on HD but since the grandkids are all having fun exploring the shelves, and selecting there own, decided to leave them for now. Even the 2 year old now has learned to pull favorites off the shelf. For them I keep the disks.

Redbox- yes, I started using the codes or $1 credits for unpopular titles , but this past week with a broken machine, I also discovered their CSR response is not exactly stellar. I had to call and got quick credits for my trouble and then directed to another box to get my movies. When I got there, 3 miles away in heavy 5PM traffic, it would not allow me to rent. Called again and was given a different story. Plus the 2nd CSR reversed my credits! I call again and ask for a supervisor, he apologized for the mixup gave me back my credits but then said I couldn't rent the desired movies under those at a different box unless I chose to pay double! So, I wanted to watch Non-Stop in BluRay. Because their original box broke, I now had to pay $3.21 for that one movie on my CC. Not such a big deal but the next day, I went to rent another movie at the repaired box where my trouble started, and guess what? It would not let me pick up my new movie until I took my old Non Stop title first that was stuck in the machine when it broke down. So I took it even though I had already seen it, just returned it immediately. Then proceeded to pick up my new movie. If it wasn't such a small amount of money I would not be laughing as this bizarre snafu. They win, I lose, but I don't want to spend another hour on the phone to get my $1.60 back.

Don Landis
post #172 of 215 Old 07-15-2014, 07:36 AM

I am wireless now because (insert long boring story here) prevents me from being wired at the moment. I did recently change my Cisco router for a SkyDog, which seems to have solved my DHCP issues. Trying Vudu this weekend, I was pleasantly surprised! I set up my account and picked Last Action Hero as one of my 5 freebies from the limited selection available. There were only 3 people in the US that really liked that movie, and yours truly is one of those. Haven't seen it in HD since it was in the theater, and it looked and sounded great!

Because of my toddler, I must used closed captions on everything. On the PS3 that wasn't an issue. On my Panasonic BDP, CC was not an option. That may be a topic for a separate thread, but that is the biggest flaw in the streaming apps for me now that I've solved my connection issues. I only have 2 options for Vudu, but I have 4 options for Hulu. None of those 4 have CC on Deep Space 9, although I can do it for other tv shows. I have a friend with a Roku 2 XS, and he tells me that he does have CC. That gets me. I can understand Vudu on PS3 offering 3D selections where other equipment may not offer it, but CC should be universal, right?

Back to Frozen, I watched the Amazon UK discs this weekend and detected no difference from the US copy. I'm sure we'll be watching it again soon, so I'll watch my digital copy through my AppleTV 3rd Gen to see how that works.

Thanks for the Vudu comments, Don. I've been anti-digital offerings for my Xbox and PS3 because I can't physically hold the disc AND because it takes up all of my HDD space. With video, I'm still going to have to get over the fact that I don't have it in my hand, but since it doesn't take up space locally and it won't make me buy additional space.. well, maybe it's not so bad. I'll keep you posted.
post #173 of 215 Old 07-15-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 743
I cringe admitting this, but there's something about going to the Blu-ray I purchased, unwrapping it, taking the disk out, turning on the BDP, putting it in the tray, closing the tray, jumping to the first scene (to avoid the crap), that I just cringe at every stinking time.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #174 of 215 Old 07-16-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I cringe admitting this, but there's something about going to the Blu-ray I purchased, unwrapping it, taking the disk out, turning on the BDP, putting it in the tray, closing the tray, jumping to the first scene (to avoid the crap), that I just cringe at every stinking time.
I am the same way. I find myself going through a transformation where I am begrudgingly beginning to accept the electronic downloads, but it's not easy. There are a ton of advantages - the kids can't scratch the discs, less space taken up on the bookshelves, neighbors can't 'borrow' them and not bring them back.. but all of that comes with a price. You don't get the shrink wrap-ripping experience and the (maybe imaginary) new movie smell.

The $35 price tag for a 3D digital offering that has everything that the physical disc does should be an equal bargain. Don has made several good points here that have me actually testing these other services. But the unwrapping factor is something I still have to get past!
post #175 of 215 Old 07-16-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Not sure I understand. You mean you enjoy the task of scraping off that edge tape on the box? That white security tape really annoys me every time I buy a disk.

I buy very few disks retail anymore. I still rent most of my 3D movies on disk. If I thing the disk is a keeper I will order it on Amazon for the shelf. Been quite awhile since I did that. I think Frozen 3D from UK is the last one and that was ore for experimental reasons. The last two times we watched it here I just went to Vudu. Easier and same quality.

Generally, if I rent the 3D BluRay, I will watch it and return it and have no reason to want to watch it again. Too many new titles coming out to occupy my viewing time.

Don Landis
post #176 of 215 Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure I understand. You mean you enjoy the task of scraping off that edge tape on the box? That white security tape really annoys me every time I buy a disk.

I buy very few disks retail anymore. I still rent most of my 3D movies on disk. If I thing the disk is a keeper I will order it on Amazon for the shelf. Been quite awhile since I did that. I think Frozen 3D from UK is the last one and that was ore for experimental reasons. The last two times we watched it here I just went to Vudu. Easier and same quality.

Generally, if I rent the 3D BluRay, I will watch it and return it and have no reason to want to watch it again. Too many new titles coming out to occupy my viewing time.
Even going to my collection of blu-rays, pulling it out, putting it into the BDP, and starting it up is stressful to me. Don't know why, but in 2014 things should really be slam-dunk by now.

Grow milkweed. The Monarch Butterfly requires it, and its numbers are dwindling fast.
post #177 of 215 Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Even going to my collection of blu-rays, pulling it out, putting it into the BDP, and starting it up is stressful to me. Don't know why, but in 2014 things should really be slam-dunk by now.
Guys, you know he's kidding, right?

post #178 of 215 Old 07-17-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Guys, you know he's kidding, right?
No, actually I was serious.

post #179 of 215 Old 07-23-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
even going to my collection of blu-rays, pulling it out, putting it into the bdp, and starting it up is stressful to me. Don't know why, but in 2014 things should really be slam-dunk by now.
ADHD, perhaps?

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #180 of 215 Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
I am wireless now because (insert long boring story here) prevents me from being wired at the moment. I did recently change my Cisco router for a SkyDog, which seems to have solved my DHCP issues. Trying Vudu this weekend, I was pleasantly surprised! I set up my account and picked Last Action Hero as one of my 5 freebies from the limited selection available. There were only 3 people in the US that really liked that movie, and yours truly is one of those. Haven't seen it in HD since it was in the theater, and it looked and sounded great!
Curious why you picked Skydog (now defunct) and not something like:
http://www.amazon.com/RT-AC68U-Wirel...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Are there known DHCP issues with Asus routers, or was it just a pricing decision? I'm asking because I'm trying to upgrade so I can stream 3D/4K content and have been lurking for a time.
Reply 3D Content

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page