Frozen 3D - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #181 of 240 Old 07-29-2014, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Why Skydog?

You raise a good question! It was a long story as it happened, but in retrospect it may not have been as confusing of a problem as it seemed at the time.

I have U-Verse for Internet. AT&T, which promotes itself as a leader in telecommunications and technology, only offers modem/router units with Wireless G speed. Not N speed, the faster standard, or AC - the brand new option. No, they only offer G. Crazy. So I had a Cisco router connected to it so I could handle the WiFi in the house with more speed. I would routinely be watching Netflix or Amazon and get the dreaded "your connection has changed" message, and the picture would lose quality. Then it would gain quality. Then lose quality. Drove me bonkers.

So I tried a hardwired connection. That didn't help. That's when I decided it wasn't the speed that was the problem. I determined it was my router. Ultimately it came down to a fight over DHCP addresses. I reset the 192.168.1.1 home page for the AT&T router and picked a different IP, turned off DHCP and let the Cisco handle it - all sorts of scenarios you could think of.

Then I saw a review of the Skydog router on ZD-Net. It was touted as being a router that would let you subscribe to a service that let you adjust Internet speeds per user so you could turn off your kid's access at 9pm. (In practice, that isn't really as useful as it sounds, because the kid switches to Angry Birds - which doesn't need Internet.) But the article and the Amazon reviews said that the router setup would ask you which ISP you had and would automatically changes the settings on the modem/router so that the SkyDog would handle the IP addressing. I had already decided to purchase a new router anyway, so the universe was aligning just right and I pulled the trigger on it.

It worked exactly as described. The tech inside it is older, as I found out later, and it isn't the best one on the market. But any time someone came to my house with a Wifi device and tried to attach, I got a text message telling me about it. I no longer have streaming issues unless there is a real problem with U-Verse. All other things being equal, it has been a good router.

Now that they are no longer adding new features and doing constant firmware upgrades, then the router you listed may actually be a good choice for me. I appreciate you listing it! In hindsight it seems as if I could have done a hundred other things to fix it, but after visits to every big box store and any network-savvy friend I had without a resolution, it seemed to be the way to go. No regrets.

That being said - let the AC-compatible speed router shopping begin!

PS - as promised, I have started watching some of my digital offerings to see how they compare. My kid LOVES the iTunes Extra feature that shows all of the Frozen songs and skipping all of the 'boring parts' (i.e. the rest of the movie). For the 24 minutes it takes to go through the songs, he is literally Frozen in front of the tv! The quality is way better than I expected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 240 Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
August is here so...

around january is when frozen blu ray release was announced, and it should be sometime this month that announcement should arrive about the frozen 3d blu ray release, will continue to wait because of all the added bonus scenes i believe target exclusive bonus will be there, along with anna and elsa singing life's too short, also their trip to norway, so it will be a good release. I will be patient and continue to wait.
post #183 of 240 Old 08-01-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 592
post #184 of 240 Old 08-02-2014, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
for those who are impatient, the 3D import looks fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/Frozen-Blu-ray.../dp/B00FZM8Z7I
Agreed...the family and I just watched this last night and it was amazing.
post #185 of 240 Old 08-05-2014, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv074 View Post
around january is when frozen blu ray release was announced, and it should be sometime this month that announcement should arrive about the frozen 3d blu ray release, will continue to wait because of all the added bonus scenes i believe target exclusive bonus will be there, along with anna and elsa singing life's too short, also their trip to norway, so it will be a good release. I will be patient and continue to wait.
Bob Iger, Disney CEO, said today in the quarterly earnings call that Disney plans a whole range of retail products for Frozen to be available in the Fall. No mention of any 3D disk set but we have seen plenty of other leaks that it will be available. I'm sure if it will come it will be in this batch of products. He also said they will be offering more Frozen theme products in 2015 and are even discussion theme park additions for Frozen. It is the highest grossing animated movie of all time. They see several years of revenue from continued product releases and theme park on Frozen.

In the meantime, if you want all those extras plus 3D and 2D Frozen, Vudu seems to be the only game in town, yet.
post #186 of 240 Old 08-09-2014, 12:46 AM

Disney playing around again preordering the dvd sing along edition before the blu ray 3d preorder. More for disney to try and make money which i don't blame them, just will continue to wait for the 3d.
post #187 of 240 Old 08-09-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Frozen and other Disney titles like Monsters University and Great and Powerful Oz are available in 3D on Starz On Demand.
post #188 of 240 Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If you wait long enough Frozen 3D will be on Netflix 3D. Long enough may mean 8-10 years. Bite the bullet, pay the price, and enjoy now.
post #189 of 240 Old 08-09-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandL View Post
Frozen and other Disney titles like Monsters University and Great and Powerful Oz are available in 3D on Starz On Demand.
Or if you have a Vizio or Panasonic 3DTV you can watch them on the 3DGO! app.
post #190 of 240 Old 08-10-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post
Or if you have a Vizio or Panasonic 3DTV you can watch them on the 3DGO! app.
For free? If you have Starz and HBO you get 3D movies for free.

On HBO 3D:
Epic
Gatsby
Gravity
Hobbit
Wolverine

On Starz 3D:
Battle of the Year
Frozen
Monsters University
One Direction
Oz , The Great and Powerful
Thor: Dark World
post #191 of 240 Old 08-10-2014, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv074 View Post
will continue to wait for the 3d.

That would be like waiting for Avatar Extended Edition in 3D. Its been 4 years. Not happening. I went ahead last march and bought 3d Frozen from Amazon.uk. You might want to too. Live for today, you might not be here tomorrow to wait.
Don Landis likes this.

Cool Beans.
post #192 of 240 Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

On HBO 3D:
Epic
Gatsby
Gravity
Hobbit
Wolverine

On Starz 3D:
Battle of the Year
Frozen
Monsters University
One Direction

Nice! Would they be available on all HBO and starz regardless of what provider? I have Dish Network and a VIP722K DVR. What other requirements are there to receive these 3D programs? If you don't know the specifics, then what do you have that you get these?
post #193 of 240 Old 08-10-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post
That would be like waiting for Avatar Extended Edition in 3D. Its been 4 years. Not happening. I went ahead last march and bought 3d Frozen from Amazon.uk. You might want to too. Live for today, you might not be here tomorrow to wait.

I have ordered in amazon it will arrive around sept 10-18 since i ordered through uk about 40 even with shipping. If usa version does arrive i will just give this to a co worker which has a daughter that likes frozen since he has 3d tv as well. So i have given in just in case there's no us release. Ashame of disney if they don't release it here. But i still believe they will release it with added bonus features.
post #194 of 240 Old 08-10-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Nice! Would they be available on all HBO and starz regardless of what provider? I have Dish Network and a VIP722K DVR. What other requirements are there to receive these 3D programs? If you don't know the specifics, then what do you have that you get these?
I have COMCAST cable and its on their HBO and Starz On Demand 3D section. I think Verizon also has it.
post #195 of 240 Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4629 Post(s)
Liked: 1851
I just don't understand Disney sometimes...
post #196 of 240 Old 08-10-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
I have COMCAST cable and its on their HBO and Starz On Demand 3D section. I think Verizon also has it.
Time Warner cable as well
post #197 of 240 Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So you get Starz and HBO for free??

Quote:
Quote:

On HBO 3D:
Epic
Gatsby
Gravity
Hobbit
Wolverine

On Starz 3D:
Battle of the Year
Frozen
Monsters University
One Direction
post #198 of 240 Old 08-11-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny905 View Post
So you get Starz and HBO for free??
I have a package of internet, phone and cable with Comcast and I get most of the premium channels - HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemaz, etc. The Starz and HBO on demand 3D movies are part of the package. I don't pay for each movie.
post #199 of 240 Old 08-11-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks, Roland. It appears that I would need to add Comcast cable TV to my budget and I'm not ready to spend for that. Too many other options. I might have added the prem movie channels on DishNetwork but since most of the movie offerings are redundant to what I currently have and Comcast pricing is much higher, I'll pass for now. I am pleased that Comcast and others are moving forward like this with 3D.

Two years ago I spoke with a flea brain idiot VP at DishNetwork booth at CES2012 who informed me that "3D was dead to them and if he has any say in the company, 3D will never rear its ugly head on Dish Channels." He also informed me that all the 3D TV's being offered were just a scam. I heard last year ( CES2014) this idiot was no longer with the company, so there is hope. I keep Dish Network because I like the DVR with all the options, but mostly the channels are available from all the others, plus the price is still better in my area.
post #200 of 240 Old 08-11-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Roland. It appears that I would need to add Comcast cable TV to my budget and I'm not ready to spend for that. Too many other options. I might have added the prem movie channels on DishNetwork but since most of the movie offerings are redundant to what I currently have and Comcast pricing is much higher, I'll pass for now. I am pleased that Comcast and others are moving forward like this with 3D.

Two years ago I spoke with a flea brain idiot VP at DishNetwork booth at CES2012 who informed me that "3D was dead to them and if he has any say in the company, 3D will never rear its ugly head on Dish Channels." He also informed me that all the 3D TV's being offered were just a scam. I heard last year ( CES2014) this idiot was no longer with the company, so there is hope. I keep Dish Network because I like the DVR with all the options, but mostly the channels are available from all the others, plus the price is still better in my area.
I have eight TV's in my home and having a box for each one would not make sense with DishNetwork. DishNetwork does not have the Yes channel either. Plus the internet speed of 105 mps is very fast. It's less expensive to have it all with Comcast than when I had phone and internet ( think the speed was only 25mps) with ATT, cable with Comcast.
post #201 of 240 Old 08-11-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Roland, The one satellite box per TV is old technology. They have a new system now uses one box per two TV's and another that uses one box plus a small satellite box called a Joey which is a device that allows each TV connected to access the central DVR. I don't have this but even with it, your setup with cable tuners in each TV may be cheaper. Here we have two DVR's and one has 2 OTA tuners and two sat tuners so we can record 4 programs at a time. I only have two TV viewing locations for cable channels, Home Theater and Kitchen. When my father lived here we just connected him to the Kitchen DVR and he had his own tuner and remote control. I also have internet access to any of my local and satellite channels with smart phone or ipad which is nice too.

If I pulled the phone service in there might be an overall advantage but I haven't had the home locked phone since 2004. Just use cell phones and if I need to do a FAX, I use Magic Jack dongle for that. Now I get 1 or 2 requests for a traditional FAX a year. and MJ is what I use.

Last edited by Don Landis; 08-11-2014 at 09:46 AM.
post #202 of 240 Old 08-11-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

EPIX Cgannel has the ability to show 3D. But I've only seen it once...when Roger Corman's ATTACK OF THE 50' CHEERLEADER 3D was OnDemand. (A very good, fun 3D movie, BTW, and also the best movie with Corman's name on it in over 30 years!) It was up for a month or two. It's still OnDemand but only in 2D. And sadly, there is no BD anywhere AKAIK. Since they CAN do it, I have no idea why EPIX hasn't done it for other films.
post #203 of 240 Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Was that a SBS-half presentation or full frame packed on EPIX?
post #204 of 240 Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Was that a SBS-half presentation or full frame packed on EPIX?
I didn't check at the time, but I assume SBS...simply because that's what we get with HBO and STARZ.
post #205 of 240 Old 08-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Two years ago I spoke with a flea brain idiot VP at DishNetwork booth at CES2012 who informed me that "3D was dead to them and if he has any say in the company, 3D will never rear its ugly head on Dish Channels." He also informed me that all the 3D TV's being offered were just a scam. I heard last year ( CES2014) this idiot was no longer with the company, so there is hope.
He must have gone to work for Disney

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #206 of 240 Old 08-20-2014, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
He must have gone to work for Disney
Come to think of it, I think I did see him at Disneyland in April dressed up like a fat Pee Wee Herman sweeping little pieces of trash from the street.

Last edited by Don Landis; 08-20-2014 at 11:49 AM.
post #207 of 240 Old 08-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Come to think of it, I think I did see him at Disneyland in April dressed up like a fat Pee Wee Herman sweeping little pieces of trash from the street.
Haha. Oh wow I would have thought him to at least hold the position of Marketing Director for 3D releases in the US

What is the meaning of life?
www.iamsecond.com/films
post #208 of 240 Old 08-20-2014, 03:40 PM

Anybody selling frozen 3d blu ray uk slipcover? I got the item but it didn't have the slipcover which is bitter sweet, I will watch it tonight, to see how good the 3d is. I still will get the usa version when it is released. But if there's anyone that can help I would be grateful. Thank you.
post #209 of 240 Old 08-21-2014, 01:47 AM

Just saw frozen 3d in my xbr65x900a sony 65 inch and it is just jawdropping as this television always impress when 3d is showing. I have seen frozen so many times i'm still wanting more. Just an amazing 3d on this one. Thank you for finally convincing me to get it. I will still get the usa version. But if it doesn't release then i'm content with the uk version even though no slipcover sigh, oh well. Still fantastic.
post #210 of 240 Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 795
Just watched this on blu the other night and thought the 3d was excellent and very good overall audio. Glad I rented though as this film is clearly geared toward young girls and the big motivating factor just to get through it once was the A/V/3d!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page