Movies released overseas in 3D, but not in the USA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 03-18-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Here's the first I know of: Robocop, which is being released in China in 3D and IMAX 3D
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 95
If you remember, it was supposedly delayed for the 3D conversion, but with director issues and who knows what, it was released in all the 2D glory that a flat screen can muster here in the US. Perhaps the 3D version will be released on bluray here later this year.

I'm sure there are others. Frozen appears to have been released on bluray in 2D only here in the US and 3D in the UK. But there is talk about it being released in 3D here in April.

Are there more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-18-2014, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Noah got a conversion by Stereo D for Asia.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Liked: 12
Battle Royal had a 3D release in Japan.
post #4 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Here's more info about Battle Royale, the 3D version: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/battle_royale_3d/

More info on Noah: http://collider.com/noah-3d-post-conversion-international-release/

http://www.stereoscopynews.com/hotnews/3d-movies/3d-blockbusters/3548-noah-3d-for-the-world-noah-2d-for-us.html Interesting that it won't be available in the UK in 3D either. I'm sure some Avsforum member will find an English version on bluray in the future for all of us to share rolleyes.gif
post #5 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Wow, VERY disappointed that Noah won't be available here (or in the U.K.) in 3D!mad.gif

Ed
post #6 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting quote from James Cameron last year stating that some blockbusters should not be in 3D. Problem is, people listen to what he says. I think this is foreboding of what we are seeing in the US, where movies here will be in 2D and overseas and especially China will be in 3D. Apparently people in China don't go to movies unless they are in 3D.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/are-3d-movies-over-20130821
post #7 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

China got a 3-D re-issue of 2012 late last year.

There have been several lower budgeted native 3-D movies that were released overseas but not here. "Street Dance", "Street Dance 2", "The Hole", "The Mortician", "Julia X", "Horrid Henry" and a whole slew of Bollywood flicks (both Native and conversions) come to mind. Many of these were eventually released here on DVD in flat form. "The Hole" and a couple of the Indian films are on Netflix in 3-D.
post #8 of 33 Old 03-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

A couple of other recent native 3-D movies not released here are "Young Detective Dee" and "Crypt of the Dragon". Both of these are deep and well shot. You can easily import this stuff on the foreign Amazon sites or from yesasia, most of the Hong Kong discs are english friendly (and region free if your player is not!)
post #9 of 33 Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P. View Post

China got a 3-D re-issue of 2012 late last year.

Did they rename the movie "2013"? confused.gif

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #10 of 33 Old 03-21-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

This is the most definitive list I could find. Look to the comments to the right for where released. I see the ones already mentioned except 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_3D_films
post #11 of 33 Old 03-22-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Interesting quote from James Cameron last year stating that some blockbusters should not be in 3D. Problem is, people listen to what he says. I think this is foreboding of what we are seeing in the US, where movies here will be in 2D and overseas and especially China will be in 3D. Apparently people in China don't go to movies unless they are in 3D.

I don't think James Cameron's comment is entirely without merit. US movie goers got fed up with 3D pretty quickly because mediocre 3D conversions coupled with higher ticket prices put people off. It would appear that Viewers in China are more tolerant of, shall we say variable quality 3D. This is good in a way because it does mean that 3D will continue because there is a big overseas market for it but at the same time means domestic (US) 3D presentations have to be that much better than some of the rubbish that Studios churned out shortly after Avatar was released.
cakefoo and old corps like this.
post #12 of 33 Old 03-22-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked: 24
Yup. Saying some movies should not be in 3D appears to be more an indictment of the directors or studios than of the 3D medium itself. Putting out crap for the sake of 3D hurts the medium to some extent at this point. Cameron has gone on record as being committed to the 3D format so I suspect he's calling it for what it is.... do a good job of it and the medium will succeed and those that do a poor job of it can be recognized as such without blaming the medium.
cakefoo likes this.
post #13 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnoreatmovies View Post

Yup. Saying some movies should not be in 3D appears to be more an indictment of the directors or studios than of the 3D medium itself. Putting out crap for the sake of 3D hurts the medium to some extent at this point. Cameron has gone on record as being committed to the 3D format so I suspect he's calling it for what it is.... do a good job of it and the medium will succeed and those that do a poor job of it can be recognized as such without blaming the medium.

I rather like that the schlock-3D is being weeded out in the cinemas in the US.  Now if only people would stop parroting this as some sort of evidence of the demise of 3D as a whole.....

cakefoo likes this.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #14 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Acording to The Hollywood Reporter and Market Saw 3D, Warner Bros. and it's producing partners DMG and Alcon Entertainment are actually forking over the money to have "TRANSCENDENCE" converted to 3D and then only releasing it 3D in one country - China!

The whole story here http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johnny-depps-transcendence-open-same-690536

I doubt we will get a 3D bluray option on this one.
post #15 of 33 Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

The money is spent--doesn't make any sense, or maybe the conversion just doesn't live up to current standards. In that case, it would be better not to show it in the US.
post #16 of 33 Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFMike View Post

Acording to The Hollywood Reporter and Market Saw 3D, Warner Bros. and it's producing partners DMG and Alcon Entertainment are actually forking over the money to have "TRANSCENDENCE" converted to 3D and then only releasing it 3D in one country - China!

The whole story here http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/johnny-depps-transcendence-open-same-690536

I doubt we will get a 3D bluray option on this one.

I'm seriously beginning to doubt there are very many business-savvy people left in the movie industry. Blu-Ray releases are a solid second revenue stream for all movies, including those that do not do as well as expected at the box office. Studios could make these releases much more desirable (and profitable) by making available on disc other versions of these films, including "Director's Cuts", uncensored, and 3D editions.
post #17 of 33 Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

The world no longer revolves around the USA despite what many still think.
post #18 of 33 Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob7145 View Post

Quote:

The world no longer revolves around the USA despite what many still think.

Why the jab at the US?  It was unwarranted.

Java developers, when I saw what has been placed into Java 8 I was immediately reminded of how I've spent so much of my life trying to protect engineers from themselves. Lambda expressions are a horrible idea. Gentlemen: the goal isn't to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer. The goal is to make code readable for a competent mid-level engineer exhausted and hopped up on caffeine at 3 am. What a disaster Java 8 is!
post #19 of 33 Old 04-03-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, I understand the comment. I was thinking US as the center for 3D production when I started the thread. Irony will be that China's interest will make 3D survive. That said, we just need to get the movie guys to at least approve a release to 3D bluray here in the US. However, I have a suspicion that the 3D conversions done for China are not very good and not up to our standards these days. That would just drive more nails in the 3D coffin here in the US and the UK.
old corps likes this.
post #20 of 33 Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, I understand the comment. I was thinking US as the center for 3D production when I started the thread. Irony will be that China's interest will make 3D survive. That said, we just need to get the movie guys to at least approve a release to 3D bluray here in the US. However, I have a suspicion that the 3D conversions done for China are not very good and not up to our standards these days. That would just drive more nails in the 3D coffin here in the US and the UK.

I still see this differently, sorry.  3D will exist with or without China.  I don't see any evidence at all that what's not happening is a simple weeding out of schlock 3D here in the US.  And perhaps the Chinese aren't yet worn out from schlock 3D, or just culturally like it.

Note: 3D for 3D sake (which is what I'm talking about here) is over for us.  People in the US just aren't interested in it----no one wants to see a movie who's entire claim to fame is the 3D, because they've been there, done that.  They want 3D used properly----as a seamless way of immersing you into the storyline.

Apparently the Chinese aren't there yet.  Either for exposure reasons, or just cultural.

While we didn't cover China, I remember in a movie class that I took in college that we discussed the difference between Japanese and American films.  The old Japanese films that we were forced to @#$%ing painfully endure (not the Godzilla stuff, but their dramas) were God-awful to watch by our standards.  Lots of over-acting, screaming, over-emotional outbreaks......endless crap.  But it's what the Japanese culture saw as valid high quality storylines...to them it was what you go to movies for.

old corps likes this.

post #21 of 33 Old 04-03-2014, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
China currently permits only 20 big foreign films a year to be released there, to the frustration of US studios. The pact allows in an extra 14 films each year, provided they are in Imax or 3D formats.
Source

Hollywood says "Screw it, let's throw in a half-ass conversion if it means Chinese presence." The lack of a 3D version for these particular movies in the US is a VERY good sign, because it means Hollywood is finally beginning to understand the danger of having too much mediocre 3D.

Does ANYONE want to see Noah in 3D? According to this trailer, consisting mostly of headshots, a 3D version isn't at all warranted.
post #22 of 33 Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Quote:
China currently permits only 20 big foreign films a year to be released there, to the frustration of US studios. The pact allows in an extra 14 films each year, provided they are in Imax or 3D formats.
Source

Hollywood says "Screw it, let's throw in a half-ass conversion if it means Chinese presence." The lack of a 3D version for these particular movies in the US is a VERY good sign, because it means Hollywood is finally beginning to understand the danger of having too much mediocre 3D.

Does ANYONE want to see Noah in 3D? According to this trailer, consisting mostly of headshots, a 3D version isn't at all warranted.

I ABSOLUTELY want to see Noah in 3D!

By the way, let me get this straight: Are you saying because there were many headshots in the trailer that the movie itself would somehow have so many headshots that 3D isn't warranted?

Trailers often want to showcase the big-name actors involved to draw in the crowd.  But regardless, that trailer isn't overwhelmed with headshots anyway; And even if it were I'd have no idea what you're talking about.

That trailer has some beautiful grand scenes in it.....no one can tell from a trailer what the mix is overall, but from that trailer alone I would love to find out first-hand in a 3D theater.  That's for sure.

post #23 of 33 Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Source

I did. Emma Watson, Jennifer Connely, I'm in smile.gif I'm a fan of fantasy/fiction and thought the storyline lent itself well to the format. 3D, good or bad, was that extra bit that would have brought me to the theater. I will now wait for it on HBO, SHO or Redbox.

post #24 of 33 Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Good point. I only go to the theater to see 3D movies these days. I have not been to a 2D theater movie in years--no need to with my setup at home. That said, I like to watch 3D at home too.
post #25 of 33 Old 04-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
^^^^^ I don't just go for 3D. Just saw The Grand Budapest Hotel and I can't say why I enjoyed it, but I was thoroughly entertained. Lack of 3D was not an issue. I think that Noah would benefit from from a litte something extra.

post #26 of 33 Old 04-04-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

By the way, let me get this straight: Are you saying because there were many headshots in the trailer that the movie itself would somehow have so many headshots that 3D isn't warranted?

Trailers often want to showcase the big-name actors involved to draw in the crowd.  But regardless, that trailer isn't overwhelmed with headshots anyway; And even if it were I'd have no idea what you're talking about.

That trailer has some beautiful grand scenes in it.....no one can tell from a trailer what the mix is overall, but from that trailer alone I would love to find out first-hand in a 3D theater.  That's for sure.
Those shots that aren't headshots consist of a foreground, a background, and nothing more.

Noah and so many other half-assed 3D conversions use 3D to enhance action. A decent 3D movie uses it to move a story from start to finish.
post #27 of 33 Old 04-04-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Those shots that aren't headshots consist of a foreground, a background, and nothing more.

Noah and so many other half-assed 3D conversions use 3D to enhance action. A decent 3D movie uses it to move a story from start to finish.

That looks like a terrific movie! When does it come out?

Ed
post #28 of 33 Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post

Quote:

I still don't know what you're talking about.  First, it's a movie preview.  Second, I still don't know what you're talking about.

Let's see.  In that trailer (in order):

1. A mountain
  2. What looks like a fire-bombed city
  3. A wide open area with people walking into the depth of it
  4. A mini sword fight
  5. A close up of an asteroid coming toward the audience and striking ground
  6. A sky full of such asteroids falling as fireballs

....and that was just the first 39 seconds of a 2:25 long trailer.

Quote:
A decent 3D movie uses it to move a story from start to finish.

I just found this out now.  While this is certainly true, it's a different issue.  That's truly unfortunate that it was a 3D conversion.  I'm much less enthusiastic now.  :(

http://realorfake3d.com/

Here's what's real for 2014 anyway:

Boxtrolls
D-Day, Normandy 1944
Every Thing Will Be Fine
Exodus
The Hobbit: There and Back Again
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Hunter
Island of Lemurs: Madagascar
Jupiter Ascending
The Legend of Hercules
Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return
The Lego Movie
Maleficent
Mr. Peabody & Sherman
The Nut Job
The Pirate Fairy
Planes: Fire and Rescue
Pompeii
Rio 2
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
Space Pirate Captain Harlock
Step Up All In
Transformers: Age of Extinction
X-Men: Days of Future Past

post #29 of 33 Old 04-05-2014, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post

That looks like a terrific movie! When does it come out?

Ed
It's been released theatrically in Europe, but has no US date yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Quote:

I still don't know what you're talking about. First, it's a movie preview. Second, I still don't know what you're talking about.

Let's see. In that trailer (in order):

A mountain
What looks like a fire-bombed city
A wide open area with people walking into the depth of it
A mini sword fight
A close up of an asteroid coming toward the audience and striking ground
A sky full of such asteroids falling as fireballs

....and that was just the first 39 seconds of a 2:25 long trailer.
Composition matters more than action. That's what Hollywood doesn't seem to realize yet.
post #30 of 33 Old 04-06-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Source

Interesting comment about the Chinese. Are you saying that they have no idea what well done 3D looks like or simply don't care and will accept anything as long as it's packaged as "3D"?
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page