REDBOX AND 3D BLU-RAY 3D MOVIES - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 04-13-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can only find three 3d bluray movies listed with redbox. The are all for children.
I must be missing something.
I am sure they must have some of the 2013 3d movies or am I just blowing smoke here.
I want the hard DVD not Netflix streaming. I understand it is not that good.
Plus I only want to rent every so often.

Any suggestions?
walterolko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by antenna-tester View Post

I can only find three 3d bluray movies listed with redbox. The are all for children.
I must be missing something.
I am sure they must have some of the 2013 3d movies or am I just blowing smoke here.
I want the hard DVD not Netflix streaming. I understand it is not that good.
Plus I only want to rent every so often.

Any suggestions?

http://www.stores-3d-blurayrental.com/servlet/StoreFront

Excellent customer service! Click on all rentals, then 3d bluray under categories.

Ed
post #3 of 49 Old 04-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 38
They have a few more but they're all out of stock. At those prices for rentals I would just buy.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #4 of 49 Old 04-14-2014, 05:44 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post

They have a few more but they're all out of stock. At those prices for rentals I would just buy.

1 out at a time plan will get you 3d rentals for $3.20 a pop which will save you a ton over buying.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 49 Old 04-14-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Where for $3.20 a pop? I just checked out where old corps suggested. Wow very expensive.
Some show $5.95 till you see what it costs to join. How about $15.95 each.
post #6 of 49 Old 04-14-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Would anyone care to list the 3D Titles you see on RedBox?

I did a search and only came up with Katy Perry for 3D search.
post #7 of 49 Old 04-14-2014, 01:16 PM

To get 3.20 a pop you'd have to be mailing them back the day after you got them. I can get twice the amount of discs from Netflix with closer mailing locations. I think I'll stick to purchasing for 3D. I've already got DVD/Blu ray on Netflix, I can't justify another mail order plan just for 3D. Not enough content for it plus longer shipping TAT.
Apostate likes this.

post #8 of 49 Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Where for $3.20 a pop? I just checked out where old corps suggested. Wow very expensive.

You don't HAVE to join anything. I just rent on an individual basis, not a monthly member. Most of the 3d rentals are $5.95/$6.95, some less. I pay no other fee.

Ed
post #9 of 49 Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I contacted redbox and they have NO 3D at this time.
Katy Perry they said is not in 3D.
So it looks like there listing is messed up also.
post #10 of 49 Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

$16/month with a 5 per month limit=$3.20 per title. I get titles in 3 business days.

post #11 of 49 Old 04-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

To get 3.20 a pop you'd have to be mailing them back the day after you got them. I can get twice the amount of discs from Netflix with closer mailing locations. I think I'll stick to purchasing for 3D. I've already got DVD/Blu ray on Netflix, I can't justify another mail order plan just for 3D. Not enough content for it plus longer shipping TAT.

I belong to Netflix as well for all my 2d blu ray needs, but problem is they don't rent 3d blu rays. 3d-blurayrental fills in the 3d void left by Netflix for a decent price. I have already had 5-6 3d rentals here that I would have KICKED myself for buying vs the much cheaper rental cost since they were one and done. Buying every 3d title I want to see is just not realistic $$$ wise, so renting is a great way to go. Yogi Bear for example was great 3d, great one time watch, but I would have regretted buying this as I would NEVER watch it again. That's just me though.......if you can afford to buy EVERY 3d blu ray you want to see, good for you.
Don Landis likes this.

post #12 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 07:06 AM

That's why I read reviews so I don't end up kicking myself.

post #13 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I contacted redbox and they have NO 3D at this time.
Katy Perry they said is not in 3D.
So it looks like there listing is messed up also.

Thanks! You did two things there. You put some truth to these rumors for us and also let them know there is 3D interest among their customer base. Thanks again.
post #14 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I belong to Netflix as well for all my 2d blu ray needs, but problem is they don't rent 3d blu rays. 3d-blurayrental fills in the 3d void left by Netflix for a decent price. I have already had 5-6 3d rentals here that I would have KICKED myself for buying vs the much cheaper rental cost since they were one and done. Buying every 3d title I want to see is just not realistic $$$ wise, so renting is a great way to go. Yogi Bear for example was great 3d, great one time watch, but I would have regretted buying this as I would NEVER watch it again. That's just me though.......if you can afford to buy EVERY 3d blu ray you want to see, good for you.

I'm such an enthusiast for 3D I enjoy them all, just can't afford to buy every release at full retail so I love renting at about 1/4 the price. If I really like the movie for the story, I'll just buy that one. My only complaint since the increase popularity of 3D-Bluray rental.com is the speed of delivery. On new releases it may take 10-20 days. So, I try to just keep a few on order. Fortunately, there are enough titles being released to watch 4-5 new ones every month. That is within my budget.

Unlike Tom, I don't trust reviews.
Toe likes this.
post #15 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

$16/month with a 5 per month limit=$3.20 per title. I get titles in 3 business days.

Yeah but for those of us who like to watch movies on weekends, you really can't utilize the 5/month. Unless you're talking August of 2014. wink.gif

$4 is still better than the $30 or $40 for new purchase. I typically Redbox the BR and if I like the movie itself, I'll grab the 3D later. cool.gif
post #16 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Unlike Tom, I don't trust reviews.

You don't really "trust" reviews, you have to make your own conclusions, but I look at them just the same to get a pre look at them and weed out the obvious ones and maybe some of the border line ones I'm not sure on. It's no different than buying a camera. I wouldn't buy one without reading the reviews on it first.

Reviews have bailed me out on many occasions. Just look at every title from 3d-media.tv. That would have been a BIG mistake. Another one I wasn't sure on was titles from the studio ksm which have the nice covers like 3d-media.tv but that's about where it ends. Both of these outfits appears to have just shot some home video over the weekend and then thrown it on a blu ray with no care. With ordering online we're very blind, just seeing what the seller wants you to see and assume you'll be receiving. But with 3D you do have to lower your standards where these documentaries are concerned. You're not going to enjoy them all, but if you're mostly interested because it's 3D then what do you do? The Hollywood stuff, you can just rent the 2D stuff first and maybe some of the well-known documentaries. Movies like Yogi Bear on 3D, I'm not going to waste my time. I have it in 2D for the kids, good enough.

post #17 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 03:44 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's why I read reviews so I don't end up kicking myself.

Reviews are as subjective as the day is long. smile.gif If my purchases were based on reviews alone, I would have kicked myself many times over the years.

post #18 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Reviews are as subjective as the day is long. smile.gif If my purchases were based on reviews alone, I would have kicked myself many times over the years.

As I said, you have to make your own conclusions, but they do help weed out some of the bad buys you might end up with. But whatever works for you.

post #19 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As I said, you have to make your own conclusions, but they do help weed out some of the bad buys you might end up with. But whatever works for you.

The only thing I have found that works 100% of the time for me is watching and judging for myself. This is why my blind buys have gone down over the years and my renting has gone up. With the premium charged for 3d blus', I love being able to rent first for most and if I come across something I want to own, I can buy when the price is right. cool.gif

post #20 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Right, there are no 100% guarantees you'll like what you buy even if everyone else does. But I would only have a very small percentage of content that I do now if I had to rent everything first, not speaking of 3D specifically as I only have around 45 titles that I'd bought, but of all my entertainment content. Most of the time I already know the ones I'm going to buy before hand because I've already made up my mind on them, like recently: The Hobbit, which I hadn't seen the 2nd one in theater. I bought it blind and it was a safe buy because it's a big budget film that everyone buys. But there aren't too many like that.

Speaking of 3D content I most certainly read the reviews first. There is some content out there I don't want to waste my time and money with even on a rental if the reviews come back negative. When you read the reviews and all them are coming back negative, then I'm going with the review. If half the reviews are negative and half positive I might take a chance on it, but I at least check the reviews first and see what the complaints about the title were and what were the positives. Then I'll make a decision if I still want to own it.

Right now it's really bad because you have these guys out there pushing their crap content because it's 3D, which you never would have bought before if it were 2D. Next, it's 4k, and they're going to do the same thing. Well, actually right now you have filmed in 4k but it's rendered to regular HD. It's getting really hard to tell the quality of content out there when all you have is a nice looking cover to go by. The reviews on products is probably the most important tool consumers have for buyer protection aside from purchasing from well-known publishers and reputation.

post #21 of 49 Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Tom- I favor user reports more than professional reviews. But those are mostly for equipment I want to purchase When it comes to a 3D title, I have very few dislikes. I can name them-
1. I won't buy a 3D title of a stage Opera performance. 3D rental had one I rented and didn't even watch it past the first couple minutes. Good technical 3D but the content is not my thing.
2. I won't buy any movie that isn't in English language. IMO, even bad dubbing is preferable to subtitles in 3D. I don't like reading a movie. If I have to read a movie, I'll just get the book and read that.

Everything else I'll rent and then buy if it is a 2 times or more rewatch.
post #22 of 49 Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 AM

Reviews that I'm speaking of aren't necessarily professional. The ones on Amazon in particular for 3D, they're not really professional reviews but they offer a good indication of quality of content and how well you might like the product. Of course usually they're a little over critical so you do have to read more than a few.

post #23 of 49 Old 04-19-2014, 08:14 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

The problem with user reviews and 3d is that what makes "good"3d is highly subjective. What some call natural, others would label conservative. Some like pop out, others don't.

I am more a bass head than anything and the objective measurments from databass I find more useful overall vs subjective comments. Would be nice if 3d could be measured in a similar objective manner to take the wide subjective variable out of the equation.

All this is once again why renting for me is usually the best and safest way to go and buy later if and when I find something worthy.

post #24 of 49 Old 04-19-2014, 05:54 PM

I don't even worry about the quality of the 3D material so much an the subject matter and good references of the content, there's so few titles out there I would actually buy it's never been a problem. But for me, content and subject matter always come first.

post #25 of 49 Old 05-16-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
"I, Frankenstein" is showing as 3D combo on Redbox website
post #26 of 49 Old 05-16-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post

"I, Frankenstein" is showing as 3D combo on Redbox website

Confirmed, as I rented it. Also, if your local Redbox carried BDs of NURSE and HELLBENDERS, they are also 3D combos. God bless LionsGate!

post #27 of 49 Old 05-17-2014, 12:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Confirmed, as I rented it. Also, if your local Redbox carried BDs of NURSE and HELLBENDERS, they are also 3D combos. God bless LionsGate!

I checked the "All" Redboxes and didn't see Nurse or Hellbenders listed in BluRay. But I'll keep looking for it.

As for I_Frankenstein, I just rented it and it does have this statement, "NOTE TO RENTERS: Though this disc says “3D,” it can be played in both 2D and 3D. " in the description.
post #28 of 49 Old 05-17-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I checked the "All" Redboxes and didn't see Nurse or Hellbenders listed in BluRay. But I'll keep looking for it.

As for I_Frankenstein, I just rented it and it does have this statement, "NOTE TO RENTERS: Though this disc says “3D,” it can be played in both 2D and 3D. " in the description.

That's the big problem with Redbox...they don't carry Blu-Rays of most films, only standards DVDs. Their BDs are usuallyjust the top blockbusters, with nearly everything else standard DVDs.
But since content of the kiosks can differ in various locations, thought it might be possible for some to find the BDs of those movies.

post #29 of 49 Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

But isn't Hellbenders rather old now? Released in 2012. I didn't even see it anywhere in their ALL section anywhere in the country. I have not found Redbox a problem for any popular title in BD as long as I am willing to travel 10 mile radius. Their business model doesn't make space for every old title to sit in the machines. Plus the price is quite low for new titles so that is an advantage. On an older title like Hellbenders, if I really wanted to see it, I would just go to Amazon and buy it or Rent it from 3D BluRay Rentals for $5. Same with Nurse3D. Nurse3D wasn't well rated by other 3D enthusiasts here anyway. But some day I will rent it from 3D BluRay when the new 3D releases are slow. I wait for the rental price to drop on that one.
post #30 of 49 Old 05-18-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But isn't Hellbenders rather old now? Released in 2012. I didn't even see it anywhere in their ALL section anywhere in the country. I have not found Redbox a problem for any popular title in BD as long as I am willing to travel 10 mile radius. Their business model doesn't make space for every old title to sit in the machines. Plus the price is quite low for new titles so that is an advantage. On an older title like Hellbenders, if I really wanted to see it, I would just go to Amazon and buy it or Rent it from 3D BluRay Rentals for $5. Same with Nurse3D. Nurse3D wasn't well rated by other 3D enthusiasts here anyway. But some day I will rent it from 3D BluRay when the new 3D releases are slow. I wait for the rental price to drop on that one.

HELLBENDERS was released on disc just this past February and NURSE in April. While not elaborate, I actually thought the 3D in NURSE was ok, with some "at the screen" moments...certainly better than the 3D in IRON MAN 3 or CAPT AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER. (Of course, NURSE was filmed natively)

Reply 3D Content