Journey to the Center of the Earth 10/10
IMAX Under the Sea 9/10
Grand Canyon 9/10
Tahiti 9/10
Pacific Rim 9/10
Underworld Awakening 7/10
Gravity 7/10
Prometheus 4/10

Those are just off the top of my head. I would have to look at the rest of my collection to rate the others. This is strictly for the 3d.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 21 Old 05-24-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyburns View Post

3D reviews my ratings for the 3D in each movie

Are you divorcing the 3D from the quality of the movie?  That would be difficult for me: 3D should be a seamless part of the movie, not something that can stand on its own merit.  In your list, these I feel are the most important:

Gravity 8/10 9.7/10 <---A total surprise for a post-con!!!
Oz the Great and Powerful 6/10 9.5/10 (perhaps because I saw it with kids)

Yes, it's true that color does not exist in the physical universe: it exists only in the brain. But this doesn't mean that one person can see blue internally as yellow and that another could see it as red. The reactions and recognition of colors is neurological in nature. Once it occurs there isn't yet another evaluation that takes place. Blue looks to me as blue in precisely the same way it does to you, by definition.
post #6 of 21 Old 05-24-2014, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyburns View Post

Prometheus 8/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Prometheus 4/10

Why such big difference? Is it from difference in type of 3D that you guys prefer, i.e., pop outs or depth?
post #7 of 21 Old 05-24-2014, 06:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post

Why such big difference? Is it from difference in type of 3D that you guys prefer, i.e., pop outs or depth?

Pop out or lack of has nothing to do with it for me. Avatar and Prometheus are very conservative with 3d depth IMO. Pacific Rim has very little pop out, but is one of my favorite 3d experiences due to the strong/aggressive and consistent depth 3d used throughout.

post #8 of 21 Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

Pop out or lack of has nothing to do with it for me. Avatar and Prometheus are very conservative with 3d depth IMO. Pacific Rim has very little pop out, but is one of my favorite 3d experiences due to the strong/aggressive and consistent depth 3d used throughout.

I agree. IMO pop out works best in animated films and over-the-top action flicks. For more serious stuff I feel that the use of negative parallax would be distracting.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-24-2014, 08:37 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I agree. IMO pop out works best in animated films and over-the-top action flicks. For more serious stuff I feel that the use of negative parallax would be distracting.

Well said and agreed.

post #10 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I went back a few months ago to take a critical look at Avatar and I found it to be nearly flawless in its usage of 3D.

And absolutely still the reference for how a 3D movie should be made.

Yes, it's true that color does not exist in the physical universe: it exists only in the brain. But this doesn't mean that one person can see blue internally as yellow and that another could see it as red. The reactions and recognition of colors is neurological in nature. Once it occurs there isn't yet another evaluation that takes place. Blue looks to me as blue in precisely the same way it does to you, by definition.
post #11 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Quote:

Yes, a TON of back and forth arguing in these parts not worth a full rehashing.  And I'm absolutely in the "positive parallax camp".  But to be balanced, I will say that there are scenes where things need to come off the screen or they just wouldn't sit well with the composition.  It has its place, but absolutely has to take a very minor role in the movie.

Folks, if what you buy a movie for is to have stuff flying around your living room, then go for it: there are a ton of crap movies that exist solely to do just that.  Go nuts.  But I contend that there has been a weeding out of such films over time.  And thank goodness too.

post #12 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 11:01 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

I went back a few months ago to take a critical look at Avatar and I found it to be nearly flawless in its usage of 3D.

I disagree about Avatar, but we won't have that argument again. I have seen that film on 3 different 3d projectors and a Panny plasma over the last 3.5 years (plus an IMAX showing on top of it) and it has not held up over time from a pure 3d perspective to my eyes. Too conservative with depth 3d in general IMO.

post #13 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, a TON of back and forth arguing in these parts not worth a full rehashing.  And I'm absolutely in the "positive parallax camp".  But to be balanced, I will say that there are scenes where things need to come off the screen or they just wouldn't sit well with the composition.  It has its place, but absolutely has to take a very minor role in the movie.

Folks, if what you buy a movie for is to have stuff flying around your living room, then go for it: there are a ton of crap movies that exist solely to do just that.  Go nuts.  But I contend that there has been a weeding out of such films over time.  And thank goodness too.

I don't need stuff flying around my room (not opposed to it either when appropriate), but I do need STRONG and consistent depth which unfortunately takes the conservative route more than I would like. I need clear and distinct separation from the 2d counterpart.

post #14 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I don't need stuff flying around my room (not opposed to it either when appropriate), but I do need STRONG and consistent depth which unfortunately takes the conservative route more than I would like. I need clear and distinct separation from the 2d counterpart.

If I understand you correctly, the first thought that comes to mind is that depth is by its nature "conservative" in separation.  Perspective optically flattens with distance (as IRL) and the angular differences between infinity and "a long way away" are very slight.  And you can't go wall-eyed.  Criminey, I hope not anyway.

post #15 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I disagree about Avatar, but we won't have that argument again. I have seen that film on 3 different 3d projectors and a Panny plasma over the last 3.5 years (plus an IMAX showing on top of it) and it has not held up over time from a pure 3d perspective to my eyes. Too conservative with depth 3d in general IMO.

Curious: Do you have a specific scene that would have benefited from neg-P?

post #16 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If I understand you correctly, the first thought that comes to mind is that depth is by its nature "conservative" in separation.  Perspective optically flattens with distance (as IRL) and the angular differences between infinity and "a long way away" are very slight.  And you can't go wall-eyed.  Criminey, I hope not anyway.

Some 3d films have a very aggressive use of depth and separation which can be seen with the glasses on or off and some are much more conservative, or what some might call "natural". I have a strong preference for aggressive use of depth in general.

post #17 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Negative parallax has never been a major complaint for me with Avatar, so no.

post #18 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Negative parallax has never been a major complaint for me with Avatar, so no.

(?) You said it was "too conservative with depth 3D".  Doesn't that mean that there were scenes that should have been more in front of the screen?  Which ones.

post #19 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

(?) You said it was "too conservative with depth 3D".  Doesn't that mean that there were scenes that should have been more in front of the screen?  Which ones.

confused.gif No, it does not mean that at all. It means that depth was a bit on the conservative side meaning everything from the screen back into the picture.

post #20 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

confused.gif No, it does not mean that at all. It means that depth was a bit on the conservative side meaning everything from the screen back into the picture.

I don't understand that statement.  Do you mean too much was behind the screen or too much was in front?

post #21 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't understand that statement.  Do you mean too much was behind the screen or too much was in front?

Neither. The depth 3d was a bit too flat/conservative in general meaning everything from the screen back.

Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page