AVS Forum banner

MALEFICENT 3D Blu-Ray

27K views 483 replies 58 participants last post by  NorthSky 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
That doesn't automatically disqualify it from being good 3D, you know.

I saw it in 2D myself, but I had some friends that saw it in 3D, folks that don't normally care one whit for 3D, and they said it was really good. In the end, it doesn't make much difference.. if I buy a new release that's in 3D, I always get the 3D version.

#8 ·
Gravity was a hybrid release, if I remember correctly. The live footage was shot 2D and converted (using some new techniques), but all of the CGI (of which there was plenty) was rendered natively in 3D.

More importantly, Gravity was envisioned as a 3D film from the start, and Cuaron shot it as if it were a 3D film, even though he was using only one camera. That intention, regardless of implementation (native or conversion), is the single most important factor to the success of a 3D film, IMO (success as a 3D film, not necessarily commercial success, although Gravity did very well in this regard as well). 3D films aren't quite shot the same way as 2D, and a lot of Hollywood doesn't quite seem to realize this. Framing and depth of field are the most obvious differences. That's why 3D conversions done entirely by the studio, without the director's involvement, tend to be lackluster at best and mostly forgettable.

#10 ·
We don't really know (although many are assuming). Right now, with Amazon and Disney fighting, pre-orders aren't even being taken for it. (CAPT AMERICA isn't even listed! And that one's coming in 3D.)

#12 ·
This is slated to be released for Region B Sept 22. Based on what's happening with these releases, I have decided to proceed with a new Multi Region modified 3D BD Player. Seemed like the logical thing to do. Expecting to take delivery on it this week.

#14 ·
I have an OPPO BD-93 that I will keep as it plays the iso files from a hub of hard drives. It is not region free. But you can buy the chip and install it on the MB for about $70 that will allow you to boot the OPPO player in any other region.

BTW- same company is selling another chip that allows you to install backward compatible firmware and has announced iso file play app version coming soon. For those that have the OPPO 3D players and want this, it looks like it will soon be available.

I wanted a newer BD player that also does Netflix 3D so I purchased the Sony BDP 6200 after tons of reading the reviews. There are actually two versions of this model player with the only difference being a stackable metal cabinet (7200) vs. a non-stackable plastic one (6200). The non-stackable is the one I bought since it was considerably cheaper and my equipment cabinet has a dedicated 3" high shelf for the player.

Reactions: Boomassiv
#16 ·
Same company also has the 103/105 chips. What they do not have as of yet is the iso app firmware on a CD to back date. They just say coming soon.

My 93 has the old firmware and FWIW, has never failed to play most recent 3D disks including the BD+ and Cinavia disks. My 93 has not been plugged into the internet since I got word OPPO had to remove the feature. I only mention this in that some people believe if your player is not connected to the internet for most recent updates it will not play most recent titles. To date, that has not been the case. I just can't access the internet features since the player is not connected.

I think it is not permitted by AVS rules to post the company as I believe the hack to be "illegal" based on BD assoc licensing. Otherwise I would have posted it here.

#17 ·
My sony 4k 65 hdmi 2.0 does not like the oppo, requires mediator box. The doremi Integrated Media Board (hdmi input on d-cinema) when i upgraded firmware it killed the oppo, same solution though.

I find that the new mede8ber with the 4 tera internal is one heck of a player. usb 2.0 hubs are a crapshoot also, so the nede8ber with 4 tera capacity and usb 3.0 and pc connectivity may replace the oppos in my future installs...

#27 ·
The reason you are thought of by me, anyway, as a troll is because you post a statement out of nowhere that was clearly designed to trigger an argument AND, you offered no actual evidence for your assessment except circular logic. "Avatar is Trash" is stated without any explanation as to what constitutes your idea of " (3D)Trash." You are arrogant because you believe yourself to be an authority because you are able to purchase nice 3D equipment. Nobody here is claiming Avatar to be the best 3D ever done. But we don't believe it to be Trash either.

Let me ask you- Do you have a copy of Avatar on your shelf? If you do then why do you keep "trash" on your shelf? About the best accolade I give to Avatar, is that it sparked a new trend for the few of us who love 3D movies. The story theme, while not original, was engaging entertainment, enough that it was a box office hit whether 2D or 3D. The 3D was done by a highly respected stereographer. For it's day the 3D was close to natural looking which many people favor. It lacked the gratuitous in your face gimmick 3D stereo that is often popular with many of us, especially children. And as such Disney seems to excel in using that to their benefit.

Nobody here is offended because you disagree with us. But your post was considered that of a Troll because the post fit the internet definition of trolling. Personally, I have other movies I like better than Avatar, but I will never deny Avatar the recognition that it resurrected a sleeping art form for all our enjoyment. Kudos to John Cameron for doing that.

A troll's post offers nothing constructive to our enjoyment of 3D.

Reactions: cajieboy
#28 ·
It brought that "sleeping art form" into a whole new context of credibility. It was the first time in my life I had watched a 3D film without being acutely aware I was watching 3D....I was that pulled into the film.

So many people lose track of what 3D was prior to Avatar, or at least how it was perceived. You didn't go to a 3D movie to see the story, you went to a 3D movie to see things fly around. Avatar changed all of that. The leap from pre-Avatar to Avatar is far far greater than any leap observable from Avatar to some later film. It was the reason I even considered a 3D TV in the first place. People lose sight of just how much impact that movie had at the time and why.

Reactions: Don Landis
#29 ·
So what. Its not the best at all anymore. And 3d was included in most all top models.

Pay homage but that doesnt change the fact its not even top 10 anymore.

Tangled, coraline, despicable me 2, spider man 2, life of pi, pacific rim, avengers, gravity, both cars 1 and 2, brave, transformers, pirates of the carribean, mib 3, i mean there are a lot that are a better example of how far 3d has come.

I preach newer movies. You guys preach novelty.

Either way no one has the right to call anyone anything. Use a good logical point like yours. I respect that. But that doesnt make my point less valid.

#30 ·
Pay homage but that doesnt change the fact its not even top 10 anymore.
Neither is Gone with the Wind or the first Talky. Doesn't make them Trash.

Tangled, coraline, despicable me 2, spider man 2, life of pi, pacific rim, avengers, gravity, both cars 1 and 2, brave, transformers, pirates of the carribean, mib 3, i mean there are a lot that are a better example of how far 3d has come.
No doubt and I love being able to follow the evolution. I know you keep mentioning Pacific Rim, but were you aware that this was one where the creator fought the studios NOT to do in 3D? Guillermo del Toro finally gave in when the studio threatened to hire someone else to do the 3D. His reason was he didn't know how to capture the look he was after and avoid the miniaturization effect that 3D can create. I think that film taught him several valuable lessons and as it turned out the people liked the 3D version. I did!

I preach newer movies. You guys preach novelty.
Not always. I preach entertainment and story as primary. Good acting and directing is second. 3D is as important to me as surround sound. It is not primary to me. Being retired from the business, I just do amateur productions now. I still put together lots of 2D work.

You bragged about "owning" 130 3D movies. Actually, I believe you own copies of those movies not the movie itself. I will brag too. I have created and produced over 130 3D productions. :)

#31 ·
Neither is Gone with the Wind or the first Talky. Doesn't make them Trash.

No doubt and I love being able to follow the evolution. I know you keep mentioning Pacific Rim, but were you aware that this was one where the creator fought the studios NOT to do in 3D? Guillermo del Toro finally gave in when the studio threatened to hire someone else to do the 3D. His reason was he didn't know how to capture the look he was after and avoid the miniaturization effect that 3D can create. I think that film taught him several valuable lessons and as it turned out the people liked the 3D version. I did!

Not always. I preach entertainment and story as primary. Good acting and directing is second. 3D is as important to me as surround sound. It is not primary to me. Being retired from the business, I just do amateur productions now. I still put together lots of 2D work.

You bragged about "owning" 130 3D movies. Actually, I believe you own copies of those movies not the movie itself. I will brag too. I have created and produced over 130 3D productions. :)
Lets not just discount any opinion in here.

Yes pacific rim is a beast 3d movie. I bet he is glad they made him do it 3d.

My point is until i realized 4k 3d there was never this type of categorizing to me at all.

I hope you all understand one day and recall this thread for giggles. Sorry i loved maleificent. And im super crazy about 3d. I also kove the 4k sets 3d.

It will be understood by you guys more than others and i should of aapproached that differently.

I hope you guys can see the curved 4k do 3d.

It is a clean expirience. Dont forget to test 3d before you jump into 4k!!

Im sorry for gumming up the thread fellas. I wont waste anymore of your time.

#32 ·
As for opinions, I thought Pacific Rim was a disappointment in respect to the story. It was over hyped and under delivered, nearly childish like concept. But that's just my opinion. As for it's 3D quality, I felt for all the riff raf in the press, it was adequately done and did not disappoint.

I agree with you that 4K 3D is quite nice. Especially when comparing HD to 4K in screens larger than 65" I also have seen the curved OLED screens as well as the flat ones. If you scan through my YT channel you can see some of them I saw at CES the past few years. FYI- My videos of 3D passive screens are all shot with my own design lens that preserves the 3D you can see. It doesn't preserve the 4K because my cameras are only 1080i native. But I have been disappointed in these curved screens that are OLED as they suffer from high reflectivity. In otherwords, dark scenes have a shiny black surface that I can see my own image reflected back. To me that is annoying. There are other suspected troubles with the colors lasting on OLED screens and these issues have not been addressed that I know of. So, IMO, OLED needs some further work to satisfy me. I'm pleased you are happy with your curved TV. Just not for me, yet.

My personal needs for 4K 3D will be a projector since I need a larger screen than presently available in a ridgid panel. My HT layout requires the screen to be rolled up out of the way when not viewing programming. So a 4K 3D projector with roll up screen is in my future. I currently use a Sony VPL VW90ES and have a 92" wide variable aspect ratio screen with masks. It can open up to 120" diagonal for the IMAX look. 105" for 16x9 AR. I will likely get the new Sony 1000ES. I have seen it and other than the size and weight, I like it. If I go with it, I will need a new mount.

I look forward to seeing Malificent 3D but not sure if I will purchase or wait for a rental. I just bought a new 3D Blu Ray Player for code free Multi region since it seems we're entering a 3D era where titles are being released in other regions and not the US. It would be nice if the studios wouldn't play these games, especially since there are work-arounds, but can't fight city hall so I will resort to the work-around until the studios come-around. :(

#35 ·
I have the highest respect for Don, his 3d videos (carousel of progress 3d allow me to tap into one of my favorite childhood rides) and his knowledge is law but....

I think the "Troll" has a point, Cameron was chicken about negative parallax ( he used the old school strereographers' bible from germany that say it has to look as looking through a window), He even admits it in cinemacon 2011 he was telling a pair of fans how avatar 2 would have underwater scenes and generally have more more pop out, that is when I commandeered the conversation on conversion and using the teranex for 2d dailies headed for conversion, he thought that would suck that it cannot work that the intersubject depth and the depth to background require his presence, or a proxy. A month later lightstorm ordered 10 at nab, and i got a loaner vc-100.

You want to see through a window get a teranex , it's uncanny. It's spy stellite technology, and the dimensioning rulers are more accurate than lighstorms guys.:D

Morange , you want to see negative parallax at its eye poking peaK: madagascar 3, and bbc kingdom of plants.

#38 ·
(carousel of progress 3d allow me to tap into one of my favorite childhood rides)
Keep watching! I'm not satisfied with the current Carousel of Progress video I have. It is my 3rd attempt and as you might guess, shooting at these theme parks is always the luck of the long lines where you will get seated to shoot the stage. The stage is so wide it is difficult to grab everything. Ideally, I need to have three shooters Left, right and center, And make them lock in on zones then cut the video as a 16 x 9 presentation. I'll continue to capture it with each visit. I have a 3D wide angle lens for my Panny Z10K and may drag that along next time. In the past I used my Sony TD10 on a monopod.

Reactions: Tim Glover
#46 ·
The Universe series is a great 3D look at the Universe, Galaxies and galactic gas etc. I have the set and it is a fun watch. Rent it first from 3D- Bluray rental.com to see if that is your thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.