Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

Old 06-07-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10

its actually just getting started!

What People need to find out is that the crappy passive glasses is not working and must visit a cinema With XPAND Technology or buy their own DLP projector and some active glasses say ex Sainsonic and be amazed how much of a difference it is.

I have read some topics and it seems that most People have problems With 3D and what to play 3D files With, i myself just used most of the Winter trying out different solutions like xbmc, htpc etc etc, but only to find out that the Mede8er 800 i bought just did everything i could ever dream of.

I even got into 3D torrent sites to legally download copies of my own Movies, converted to SBS and T/B etc, only to find out that i could get 3D from a normal mkv file just by letting the mede8er simulate 3D.

And we are not talking about simyulating 3D With red and green glasses, but it simulates full frame packaging and my projector

belive its served FFP and displays a Perfect Picture for my Sainsonig glasses and my Benq th681 projector.'

However i did change out my old hdmi cables from some 1.4 from ebay and its all good.

I can even set 3D at Breaking Bad or whatever kind of series or whatever im looking at and its a Perfect Picture!

Some files like mp4 it wont display correct 3D but it can display ALL my Movies in mkv so im Guess thats more than fine!

Mainly im using 3D bd ISO files if available as that will give me the ultimate quality, but there is nothing wrong using mkv either.

A reminder is that i buy the Movie and rip it to my hdd since i dont have a blueray stand alone player.'

In many countries it is perfectly legal to make Your own copy, so there is no need to start a hatewar on me having a digital copy of my own ****.

So- i just wanted to say i have found the holy grail in my own eyes, and that 3D have NEVER been so good as now.

MY local cinema are using the dolby 3D wich are completely and utter CRAP to watch and i will never go there again, as i can wait to buy the Movie after say 3 months anyway. its not as i need to see something today because its premiered in the cinema today.

I urge you to Google and see if you can find a XPAND cinema somewhere Close to Your home and pay them a visit, and then we all can agree that 3D are NOT dead, its just starting up.

If my English suck- sorry.

My setup home:

projector Benq th681

Mede8er 800 xd

Onkyo tx nr-609

102" screen

Sainsonic active 144hz glasses from ebay

Netgear NAS.

-------------------

For People who wants to use red/green glasses on their old tvs the mede8er can also simulate 3D for that,

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-best-3d-format/

i have tried all formats, also realD and all the other crap.

XPAND is the best without limit!

Its obvious that the writer of the link is bought off, and the xpand is easier to wear and fit better than the dolby3d.

The polarized cheap yeallow glasses for reald is of course the easiest one to wear, but im looking for best Picture, not if im gonna run out of batteries wich i have never did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
3D now dominates my viewing. I own just about everything out there that is in 3D and I'm currently using the 2D to 3D conversion of the Mits 7900/8000 DLP projector for everything else. I'm about to purchase a Teranex 2D to 3D processor to feed 3D from a 2D source to some other 3D projectors I own.

I'm lucky enough to see the world in colour and that's how I want to see movies. I'm also fortunate to have very good depth perception -- I see the world in 3D and that's how I want to see film. I find both colour and 3D draw me deeper into the stories and that's how I want it.

To each his or her own. I feel very fortunate to live in a time when I can see movies the way I want to see them. Being able to watch my favourite movies such as: Dune; The Fifth Element; Watchmen; Blade Runner; The Matrix; etc. in 3D is a real treat.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-16-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Deja Vu,

I just watched the latest Riddick using the Teranex simulated 2D to 3D. It really added to the movie enjoyment. I still can't get over how good this thing is. Have you decided to definitely get one? I promise you, you can't go wrong. I do hope you talked to Cineramax.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

last night i watched Orange is the New black in 3D.

Perfect Picture on my mede8er.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg1453 View Post
Deja Vu,

I just watched the latest Riddick using the Teranex simulated 2D to 3D. It really added to the movie enjoyment. I still can't get over how good this thing is. Have you decided to definitely get one? I promise you, you can't go wrong. I do hope you talked to Cineramax.
It should be arriving in the next couple of days. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. I'm still surprised how good the 2D to 3D conversion on the Mits is. The 2D to 3D conversion of PowerDVD 13 and 14 and the Epson's 5020 are not in the same league. If the Teranex's conversion is better than the Mit's conversion (and it should be), I'll be happy.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-15-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 39
What

This has got to be viral marketing
yadfgp likes this.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 AM

cakefoo,

If your referring to Deja Vu and myself for talking about 3D, let's make no mistakes here. I am only an end user who happens to own a product that does an outstanding job of simulating 3D of my 2D movies. I really enjoy 3D and am happy to be able to view some of my 2D movies as such. Deja Vu talked to me about the same product as he also enjoys 3D and was looking to improve on that ability.

There's nothing to read into this. Period! This is a Forum for talking about things all Video/Audio. There is no marketing agenda here. Ok?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
What

This has got to be viral marketing
Here's the thread over on the $20,000 plus section that encouraged my interest in this 2D to 3D conversion technology.

Teranex 2D>3D -Not just for Millionaires any More
Old 06-21-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

3D is not dead, at least for me! I now have the Teranax set up and running and I am watching a lot of 2D material in simulated 3D and it really is amazing. I have now seen 10 different 3D converters in action counting the Teranex and it's in a league of its own, and it should be considering the cost of admission.

Hopefully this technology will trickle down quickly and more 3D enthusiasts will be able to add it to their home theatres.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
3D is not dead, at least for me! I now have the Teranax set up and running and I am watching a lot of 2D material in simulated 3D and it really is amazing. I have now seen 10 different 3D converters in action counting the Teranex and it's in a league of its own, and it should be considering the cost of admission.
Am I right that the Teranex does not support HDCP? Was it difficult to get around that?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:42 PM

Not difficult at all. HDCP strippers available all over the place.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 135
One could say that digital is dead! After all, Samsung has announced that it is shutting down its digital movie and TV service. They are making a full exit from the digital media biz. On the music side, according to Nielsen SoundScan, sales of digital individual tracks fell 5.7% (from 1.34 billion to 1.26 billion), and digital album sales fell a less worry-inducing 0.1%. So what rose? Vinyl discs! Between 2012 and 2013, vinyl sales rose a whopping 32%, with another rise expected for 2014. In fact, the new Jack White album sold 40,000 vinyl copies...IN JUST THE FIRST WEEK! That's only a thousand copies less that the CDs sold! According to Billboard, the sales count for vinyl was so high, if it were released as it’s own album, it would have charted at number four! (Reminds me of how the 3D editions of GRAVITY and THOR 2 were out-selling the 2D Blus during their initial weeks in release.) Of course, the music biz has not been promoting vinyl, just as the video biz is not promoting 3D...yet both show growth. Can you imagine how well these formats would be doing if the industries had ANY inkling of marketing/promotion???

Of course, none of this means digital is really dead or dying. But if Vizio decides to go to a manufacturer that is unable to make 3D panels or Sony drops a 3D app, that seems to translate as "3D is dead". Looks to me like 3D, vinyl, Blu-Ray (and yes, even second-rate digital downloads) will be around for a long time to come.
cajieboy and old corps like this.

Last edited by cinema13; 07-02-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Old 08-03-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

If 3d is not dead, it is limping and coughing badly...
Marc Wielage, yadfgp and Taheer19 like this.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Lightbulb 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
If 3d is not dead, it is limping and coughing badly...
lol, I don't think so .

Legend3D http://shar.es/Pbrgg via @TheWrap Hollywood will unleash 70 movies in 3D next year, the biggest year yet for the 3D format !
Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERRET View Post
Legend3D http://shar.es/Pbrgg via @TheWrap Hollywood will unleash 70 movies in 3D next year, the biggest year yet for the 3D format !
That's worldwide. I think a lot of those films will not show up in North America.

I think 3D is mainly a big deal because of the whole "Large Format Theater" experience (aka Liemax, etc.). The whole idea is for desperate theater owners to try to increase ticket prices by $5. If they do this with bigger screens, sharper pictures, bigger sound, comfy seats, and 3D, more power to them. If ultimately the theatrical experience is improved, then I don't have a problem with it.

It's interesting to note that a large segment of the population, when presented with 3D vs. flat, will go with the flat showing simply because it's X$ cheaper. I'm not a fan of the dimmer pictures, but I concede that certain movies work very well in three-dimensional space. I'm also confident that if the laser projectors can take off, they might be able to at least double the current 4-5fL light level of 3D theatrical images and get it up to something reasonable.

The bottom line: I don't think 3D is necessarily dying, but it certainly isn't growing the way many industry execs hoped it would 4-5 years ago. I can recall execs like Jeff Katzenberg of Dreamworks saying he thought there would be a day when all motion pictures were made in 3D; this is not going to happen, partly for the expense, partly for the technical complexity, but mostly because I think 3D is more suited for "event" pictures like blockbuster summer tentpoles.
yadfgp likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Guardians of the Galaxy
Opening Weekend: $94 Mil.
3D Market Share: 45%

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/7-reas...182300985.html

How to Train Your Dragon 2
Opening Weekend: $50 Mil.
3D Market Share: 32%

Edge of Tomorrow
Opening Weekend: $28.8 Mil.
3D Market Share: 47%

Maleficent
Opening Weekend: $69.4 Mil.
3D Market Share: 21%

Godzilla
Opening Weekend: $93.2 Mil.
3D Market Share: 51%

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Opening Weekend: $91.6 Mil
3D Market Share: 43%

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/bo...in-1201220911/

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Opening Weekend: $96 Mil
3D Market Share: 40%

https://movies.yahoo.com/news/captai...153800974.html

Mr. Peabody and Sherman
Opening Weekend: $36.5 Mil
3D Market Share: 43%

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/news/box...161456767.html
kimg1453 likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

BD is slowly being killed by streaming services and will probably become a niche product in a year or two, if it isn't already. 3D has always been a niche product from the start with the studios hoping it would become mainstream. For a niche product it has become a relatively strong one and I believe one that will survive. A lot of consumers don't have a BD player (DVD is still alive and doing relatively well) so this cuts out a large segment of the population when it comes to 3D, since not only do you need a BD player but one that is 3D capable. Then there's the added cost all the way around from the theatre to the BD disc -- it's actually amazing that 3D does as well as it does. My son isn't particularly into 3D and recently saw Guardians of the Galaxy at the IMAX -- and yes, he saw it in 3D and enjoyed it. He went with several friends and it was basically an "entrainment event" and so 3D fits that description very well -- 3D equals the deluxe version (experience). One thing I've noticed is that the quality of the 3D (native or post-converted) seems to be getting better and better. Many consumers haves a vested interest in the status quo so it is difficult to get them to quickly change their viewing habits -- there's a lot of resistance to change and this is obvious from the comments from the 3D naysayers on some of the threads here. Four years in and 3D is still around -- that's pretty impressive. LD was truly niche but was around for years.
Marc Wielage and SFMike like this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 08-04-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

For me, the only 3d movies I really enjoyed was Avatar. Despicable Me was pretty good.

My comment is only based on my habits, and the habits of about ten friends who have 3d projectors or flat panels. All of us have basically stopped bothering with 3d at home, and I now look for the 2d only blu ray.

Three of us last saw Godzilla in 3d, and there was no benefit to our eyes, and the dim picture made the experience worse - for more money.

I personally had very high hopes for 3d, but have been mostly underwhelmed. Half my friends who visit and watch dislike 3d, either the effect, the glasses, or both.

It's also not necessary for a lot of films, so yes, it's a niche at best.

For the studios, it's largely about the money - if they can raise ticket prices, or sell a higher price disc set, it may remain an option. But even that needs a critical mass...
yadfgp and Taheer19 like this.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
3d is great with a good dlp projector paired with 100" plus screen,not so great with a 50 or 60" flat panel
IMO
Old 08-04-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by theskins44 View Post
3d is great with a good dlp projector paired with 100" plus screen,not so great with a 50 or 60" flat panel
IMO
I liked the 3D on my 46" Samsung LED. It added a lot to the movie.

But on my 108" Epson PJ . . .
Old 08-04-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
That's worldwide. I think a lot of those films will not show up in North America.
Where does it say worldwide? The article says "Hollywood" will release them.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For me, the only 3d movies I really enjoyed was Avatar. Despicable Me was pretty good.
Really? Roger Ebert enjoyed more titles than you, and he was one of the most outspoken posterchilds of 3D doom and gloom out there.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Really? Roger Ebert enjoyed more titles than you, and he was one of the most outspoken posterchilds of 3D doom and gloom out there.
Well, yes
Old 08-04-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, yes
Here are some recommendations for good 3D movies. If you only found 2 movies have noteworthy 3D, maybe you aren't watching the best titles.

Best 3d Bluray Movie so far????3d effects
Top 20 3D Blu-Ray Movies? Also the top must have!
Old 08-04-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

It's just that I find 3d more invasive than 2d. 3d in this context is artificial...it can battle the way our eyes and brain our naturally trained to work. So whether it's the artifice of the effect or the cleaning, charging, and wearing of glasses (which my wife and two kids do not like),I personally see it as very niche. It rarely adds to environment to me. Avatar was an exception...I felt very immersed in the field, and subconsciously, it didn't feel like I was fighting the depth..still hated wearing the glasses though.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
3D looks so much better on a passive 4K set as there is very little dimming and the picture is outstanding. My 4K 84" LG set looks better than the movie theaters. Wearing the light passive glasses should not be a problem as I am sure more than half the population wears glasses and the others don't object to wearing sunglasses.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Where does it say worldwide? The article says "Hollywood" will release them.
Hollywood studios (including the tiny indie companies) make all kinds of movies that never really get a wide release in the United States. 3D is not doing well except for major blockbusters, and there are still some tentpole filmmakers that dislike 3D -- Chris Nolan and Tarantino being high on that list.
yadfgp likes this.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
Hollywood studios (including the tiny indie companies) make all kinds of movies that never really get a wide release in the United States. 3D is not doing well except for major blockbusters, and there are still some tentpole filmmakers that dislike 3D -- Chris Nolan and Tarantino being high on that list.
All that aside, the article doesn't say what you said it says. It actually says 2015 will be the biggest year ever for 3D, which sounds like apples to apples.

Also, you don't need to win over 100% of the market to stay alive- there are still some tentpole filmmakers who dislike digital, including the two guys you mentioned who dislike 3D.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
All that aside, the article doesn't say what you said it says. It actually says 2015 will be the biggest year ever for 3D, which sounds like apples to apples.
The Hollywood execs are also apoplectic that 2014 has been a terrible year monetarily. 3D didn't help them, and there were several huge bombs (including some 3D releases like Mr. Peabody, Legend of Hercules, and Pompeii) that really pulled down the overall numbers. 3D didn't help the bombs, but you can always make a good argument that 3D adds another 10%-20% of revenue at the top in some cases.

The studios are desperately hoping that 2015 will be a much bigger year because there's some huge movies coming out all year long, including Avengers II, Star Wars 7 (sounds like a baseball score), Avatar 2, a new James Bond film, and a whole slew of others:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/27...ovie-year-ever

Believe me, 3D is only about the money. I'm not the only one who's noticed this syndrome. If 2015 is the biggest year ever for movies, it would be expected that the summer tentpole movies will use 3D (and Imax and Large Format and Atmos) to exploit their gross revenues as much as possible. From a purely business point of view, I understand that completely.
yadfgp likes this.