What Have You "Watched" Lately? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 168 Old 08-30-2014, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Watched Titanic last night, 3d wasn't too bad but was hoping being in 3d the story line would have been better aswell

Think I could be expecting too much from 3d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 168 Old 08-30-2014, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 Blu-ray this week. ASM2 had the virtue of being the 1st Marvel movie to impress me with it's 3D presentation(Guardians of the Galaxy would be the 2nd)in theaters. At home the action's even more dazzling. Although it's helpful to fast forward some of the truly boring plot elements that bog the whole affair down.(skip the 1st 7 minutes altogether)

I also re-watched Monsters vs Aliens just to show off my set's 3D to a guest. It occurred to me finally that it's actually a superhero movie at heart. And a comedy of course. Some of the character designs are awful, but the 3D is the kind of in-your-face fun, I wish Pixar would stop resisting.
post #33 of 168 Old 08-30-2014, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked: 708

I did watch this; I prefer 3D over 2D. ...Very polished picture. ...And the sound is good too.
post #34 of 168 Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
At one of the stock holder's meetings over a year ago Bob Iger, answered a question on revenue strategy. He said they believe there is an added revenue benefit to using a "strategic roll out" of themes that is initiated by their movies in the Box office. The final stage of this long range plan is the building of attractions at the theme parks....

...Part of these roll outs are releasing bundles, including bundles with the toys. Timing expensive digital downloads and rentals only. Plus, the timing of each part is not always the same so it confuses the consumer. This confusion raises the FUD banter but also triggers panic buying, for fear the 3D or other version will never be released....
What Disney is failing to understand is that the slow tease of their "strategic roll out," rather than whetting the appetite, is killing the momentum. For example, my daughter was all over me about getting Frozen 3D. Now she is rather lukewarm. When asked about it, she shrugs and says she watched it already. For her, the moment has already passed.

Even worse, their "strategic roll out" not only fails to strike the iron while it's hot (so to speak) but is ticking off a lot of people whom Disney should care about. I understand Disney is trying to squeeze out every dime out of their "asset" by offering us the "asset" in multiple formats sequentially but guess what? An average Joe is not going to buy and watch the same movie over and over again because it's in a different format.

But how about the Disney fans and AV enthusiasts in the US who don't mind and want to buy and watch Disney "assets" over and over again? These are the people who would especially know what's out there and available and where. They would, for example, know that Frozen 3D was available in UK but not in the US. What does Disney gain by making them wait needlessly in the US? Don't you think some people might feel enmity, even worse, apathy?

As for me, I wanted to give Disney money for Frozen 3D. But Disney wanted me to wait. I was annoyed but now I just don't care. Kudos to you, Disney, for alienating a fan and a future fan with your "strategic roll out."
koan and old corps like this.

Last edited by Apostate; 08-30-2014 at 11:35 PM.
post #35 of 168 Old 08-30-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I like 'Judge Dredd' in 3D. ...And Eva Green from '300 - Rise of an Empire' in 3D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
I, Frankenstien is up next for Sat.
I typically "test drive" a movie in 2D before buying it in 3D. I had the misfortune/fortune of watch all three movies:

• Judge Dredd was better than I thought it would be. I ended up getting it. It being reasonably priced definitely swayed my decision. 3D was excellent too.
  • 300 Rise of an Empire was terrible. I am a fan of the first one and was ready to pull the trigger on 3D blu ray but, alas, not even Eva Green in full 3D glory could overcome that hot mess of a movie to convince me to buy it.
  • I, Frankenstein was another stinker. No 3D effects can make up for that dog of a movie.

I love 3D but the story and the storytelling still come first.
post #36 of 168 Old 08-30-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

♦ You're right about 'Dredd' 3D; it was only ten bucks. ...And like I said; cool 3D effects.

♦ You are also right about '300 - Rise of an Empire' 3D; a mess of a movie with a bunch of nude male torsos. ...But you are wrong about Eva Green.

'I, Frankenstein' 3D; I have no comment. ...I don't disagree with nobody.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-03-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: ♦
post #37 of 168 Old 08-31-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I did watch this; I prefer 3D over 2D. ...Very polished picture. ...And the sound is good too.
I like the video game series but I am generally wary of video game-based movies since they are usually bad. The trailer didn't really intrigue me and I couldn't get over the size of the lead actor's forehead (he's got a fivehead).

But if you think it's well-made, I'll give it a shot.
post #38 of 168 Old 09-03-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone saw this one recently?

* First I wasn't impressed by the film @ all, and the 3D presentation I found it subpar.
Anyone else who saw it cares to comment?
post #39 of 168 Old 09-03-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostate View Post
I like the video game series but I am generally wary of video game-based movies since they are usually bad. The trailer didn't really intrigue me and I couldn't get over the size of the lead actor's forehead (he's got a fivehead).

But if you think it's well-made, I'll give it a shot.
1. It is not an "actor" film. ...Lame cardboard type of delivery lines with fake emotions. ...Very plastic, rubber.
2. It is a "car" film. ...With nice picture and sound. ...In 3D. ...Vroom-vroom.

* Them cars are not the cheap Chinese type, but the more exotic and expensive ones ($ million plus).
And the Mustang Shelby was made in the USA (muscle, with sound signature).
post #40 of 168 Old 09-03-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
* Them cars are not the cheap Chinese type, but the more exotic and expensive ones ($ million plus).
And the Mustang Shelby was made in the USA (muscle, with sound signature).
Nice. Featuring exotics like in the video game but what are cheap Chinese type cars? I didn't even realize Chinese made cars other than crappy ones for their domestic consumption.
post #41 of 168 Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Chinese use mainly bicycles. ...But they also import cars from America, Japan, Europe, ...
And they also have motorcycles, and tricycles, and other type of human power and animal pulling locomotion, buggies...

They also have trains, and airports.

Anyway, them cars from that flick are from another totally different genre; American, Italian, ...

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-03-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: ,
post #42 of 168 Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
we enjoyed this one ... It's a pretty dark movie , and I don't mean thematically , I mean as in there's lots of dark hues , deep blacks , it really pushed our Samsung 3D TV. Overall I thought the movie and 3D aspects were phenomenal . The movie itself is excellent as well ...
post #43 of 168 Old 09-03-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Me too, I love 'Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas' - 3D.

And this one too (3D) :::

post #44 of 168 Old 09-03-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Anyone saw this one recently?

* First I wasn't impressed by the film @ all, and the 3D presentation I found it subpar.
Anyone else who saw it cares to comment?
I picked up the 3D BluRay and watched it a couple of times.

In terms of the film, I thought it played better at home than at the theater. There are some problems with the story and the character bits drag the film down somewhat but the action scenes are very entertaining.

In terms of the 3D, this one was a post-conversion but still had some effective 3D in my opinion. The character moments have, as expected, moderate depth. Things really pop during the action sequences; the depth is cranked up and there are lots of examples of pop out of the screen: bullets, debris, smoke and particle effects and so on. Overall, I'd rate the 3D as superior to the original film.

I got it for $25 from Amazon and felt it was worth the money.
post #45 of 168 Old 09-03-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Thx Tony for your comments. I eventually will watch the 2D version, and then revisit the 3D one.
...Just to be safe.

* By the way, I did not like the original 3D one. ...And the film.
post #46 of 168 Old 09-04-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Chinese use mainly bicycles. ...But they also import cars from America, Japan, Europe, ...
And they also have motorcycles, and tricycles, and other type of human power and animal pulling locomotion, buggies...

They also have trains, and airports.

Anyway, them cars from that flick are from another totally different genre; American, Italian, ...
I see. You were using the term "cheap Chinese" as a pejorative, not as a source of origin for the cars. A bit ironic since the Chinese nouveau riche are the biggest buyers of exotic million-dollar cars as shown in the movie, I believe.
post #47 of 168 Old 09-04-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

China, are they building cars in the over a $ million price range? ...Or replicas?
...And the ultra rich Chinese people are they into replicas or into Japanese and Italian and American and European fancy cars?

In 'Need for Speed', are they using cars made in China, or from somewhere else? ...Are they replicas?
And when they get destroyed are they CGI effects?

That's all I'm sayin'; anything else is from your own 3D imagination.

* Did you watch the flick?
post #48 of 168 Old 09-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? You are the one who brought up Chinese and cars. Now you are going off in a stream of consciousness again. Go get some sleep. smh

And yes, I will most likely see the movie since I enjoy "car" movies. I even liked Gone in 60 Seconds with Nicholas Cage.
post #49 of 168 Old 09-04-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh relax; see the movie in 3D and then we'll talk.

* 'Gone in 60 Seconds' was cool, I like that one...Shelby. ...No 3D here though.

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-04-2014 at 11:10 PM.
post #50 of 168 Old 09-04-2014, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

post #51 of 168 Old 09-05-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Watched Jurassic Park. Very nice conversion done by Stereo D, same team that did Titanic. A must own feature for 3D fans. Not all scenes I thought looked great, that is, had it been a native 3D production, would have looked better. But considering the amount of work into this conversion, it's one of the best conversions I've seen, right there with Titanic, maybe a little better at times a little worse at times.

Wish they'd do some more conversions from old titles with this level of attention. Well, I've watched all my new 3D purchases, I'll have to rewatch something or order some more content.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #52 of 168 Old 09-05-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtev View Post
Watched Titanic last night, 3d wasn't too bad but was hoping being in 3d the story line would have been better aswell

Think I could be expecting too much from 3d
Which part you like best; the first part, or the second one (disc 2)?
post #53 of 168 Old 09-05-2014, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
Watched Jurassic Park. Very nice conversion done by Stereo D, same team that did Titanic. A must own feature for 3D fans. Not all scenes I thought looked great, that is, had it been a native 3D production, would have looked better. But considering the amount of work into this conversion, it's one of the best conversions I've seen, right there with Titanic, maybe a little better at times a little worse at times.

Wish they'd do some more conversions from old titles with this level of attention. Well, I've watched all my new 3D purchases, I'll have to rewatch something or order some more content.
In 3D; 'Jurassic Park' or 'Predator' ? ...You like more.
post #54 of 168 Old 09-05-2014, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm getting Predator next. Don't have it yet. That's pretty much it for old conversions, I think they stopped converting old titles.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #55 of 168 Old 09-06-2014, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

That would be just about enough. ...Get it on with the new stuff, and use the best 3D techniques, with 3D in mind first.

Think 3D, not greedy. ...Do it for the true art form; money will automatically follow.
It's good for the environment, good for the humanity, for the wildlife, the water, the air, the soil, for you, and for us all.
post #56 of 168 Old 09-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Liked: 1
Predator 3D got lackluster reviews here

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Predat...Blu-ray/68710/

...any thoughts ? I was pretty bummed as I love Predator but maybe I'll just have to see for myself
post #57 of 168 Old 09-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_man View Post

...any thoughts ? I was pretty bummed as I love Predator but maybe I'll just have to see for myself
If you liked Predator get the 3D version. As I recall the 3D was ok.
post #58 of 168 Old 09-07-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_man View Post

You cannot trust most of them reviews. It's only a one-person opinion. ...Respectable, yes, but not the basis to form your own opinion of the film in 3D. Everybody's different, we don't have to agree with no one but ourselves. Sometimes we agree, more or less, other times we disagree, more or less. @ the end it's us who have the ultimate right opinion, always. ...Can't we be wrong? Of course, not. ...Seriously, we have to be right, or the world will be very boring. ...No?

** Check Ralph's review of 'Predator' - 3D

Last edited by NorthSky; 09-07-2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Typo?
post #59 of 168 Old 09-07-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I revisited a favorite animation flick of mine last night, in 3D of course :::

* That, you can buy with confidence.
post #60 of 168 Old 09-07-2014, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Texas Chainsaw may not be everyones cup of tea, but there's a couple of really good pop out scenes where Leatherface sticks the chainsaw blade right out the screen .
Reply 3D Content

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page